DIY: using Thrustmaster wheels with QR and working buttons on DD wheelbase like VRS DirectForce Pro / MiGE 130ST

I'm in the process of converting the 599xx to 70mm bolt pattern by creating a wheel hub with the a pro micro board. I was able to upload the code on to the board fine. For some reason, I can't get any of the button input to work. This applies to your code and Noel’s. Noel's code has the opposite problem where all the buttons are triggered. I double checked the pin-out, I'm using the Sparkfun AVR Boards Library with 5v 16hz
. The pro-micro is a clone and works fine with a simple controller script so it shouldn't be defective. Does the controller have to be the Spark Fun Pro Micro? Any suggestions?
Did you find a solution?

@0_0kami
A few things to check:
  • can you see the device within the device manager?
  • is there any unrecognized hardware listed
  • have you selected the correct board, processor and port for the pro micro you are using
  • are you able to load any other code to the pro micro e.g. the blink example

@0_0kami
A few things to check:
  • can you see the device within the device manager?
  • is there any unrecognized hardware listed
  • have you selected the correct board, processor and port for the pro micro you are using
  • are you able to load any other code to the pro micro e.g. the blink example
Hello,
Yes i can see the board in device manager, even loading the Noels code but in this case all buttons appear as activated,, i mean like when you push the button in the devide manager.
There is any other hardware listed.
Im usung a VKLSVAN micro pro board leonardo atmega32u4.
If loaded other codes like joystick test and it looks ok..done uploading ,essege appear.
Yust after instal the new arduino id version appear this messega at the end of the uploading info.
Sketch uses 9332 bytes (32%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 629 bytes (24%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1931 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.
Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = "CATERIN"; type = S
Software Version = 1.0; No Hardware Version given.
Programmer supports auto addr increment.
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices:
Device code: 0x44
Ive wearing the cables like the Noel instructions because Im using directly the connector from the Wheel.
I was thinkin to buy the original sparkfun board...but i guess here and noel they are using no originals boards because ive checked in the spunkfun web and it looks difernt colour base.
So ive tried to download the sparkkfun library, is done but when i try to select in boards the sparkfun board there isnt even in include lbrary section appear the sparkfun library.
So...thas way now im not sure if buying the original board will works...
Thanks for your help.

Hello,
Yes i can see the board in device manager, even loading the Noels code but in this case all buttons appear as activated,, i mean like when you push the button in the devide manager.
There is any other hardware listed.
Im usung a VKLSVAN micro pro board leonardo atmega32u4.
If loaded other codes like joystick test and it looks ok..done uploading ,essege appear.
Yust after instal the new arduino id version appear this messega at the end of the uploading info.
Sketch uses 9332 bytes (32%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 629 bytes (24%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1931 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.
Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = "CATERIN"; type = S
Software Version = 1.0; No Hardware Version given.
Programmer supports auto addr increment.
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices:
Device code: 0x44
Ive wearing the cables like the Noel instructions because Im using directly the connector from the Wheel.
I was thinkin to buy the original sparkfun board...but i guess here and noel they are using no originals boards because ive checked in the spunkfun web and it looks difernt colour base.
So ive tried to download the sparkkfun library, is done but when i try to select in boards the sparkfun board there isnt even in include lbrary section appear the sparkfun library.
So...thas way now im not sure if buying the original board will works...
Thanks for your help.
You did read this post? https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...irectforce-pro-mige-130st.220278/post-3520554

If you use the output from the wheel itself, then the pins are mirrored. You need to mirror the layout stated inside the ino file. If all buttons seam to be activated, then the chances are high that the cabling isn't right. Maybe you can check the pin-out of your Arduino too. It's unlikely, but maybe the layout is different for the one you use.

Hi everyone,

I've been researching for days on an idea I had to enhance this project. I've already successfully got the Ferrari 599XX wheel working with the Pro Micro via USB to PC. However, I am looking at ways to make this work wirelessly over BLE. I have an ESP32 lying around and have tried to use this code with some modifications but to no avail. (I have no programming background actually so I'm just doing whatever seems logical)

I was wondering if we could instead use the micro-USB from the Pro Micro to connect to the ESP32-VROOM board to transmit this to the PC as a BLEgamepad, or would it be better to use serial communication from the TX of the Pro Micro to the RX of the ESP32. As such, can someone please advise me on how to modify the script to work with this setup?

Thanks again at @Insert Coin for the wonderful work on making Thrustmaster Wheels work on our OSWs!

Doing god's work here Coin.

I've got a Sparco R383 and a TeensyLC that came with SRC's TM-USB conversion. I sort of messed about a bit too much hunting a different problem and overwrote/deleted their sketch, so now I'm trying to rebuild it.

When using 'Serial Print', my R383''s first byte reads as:
11000101 and the 4th Byte reads as 00000000 when Hat is pressed.

Is this just a different/newer/older model? Do I need to edit either of the bit2btn/R383btn lines?

I'm also having trouble with:

"Joystick_ Joystick(
JOYSTICK_DEFAULT_REPORT_ID, JOYSTICK_TYPE_GAMEPAD, 21, 1, // 21 buttons, 1 hatswitch
false, false, false, false, false, false,
false, false, false, false, false);

This returns "error 'Joystick' does not name a type". This is a library issue? I dont think Teensy uses the same libraries. Do you know how I would convert this?

Doing god's work here Coin.

I've got a Sparco R383 and a TeensyLC that came with SRC's TM-USB conversion. I sort of messed about a bit too much hunting a different problem and overwrote/deleted their sketch, so now I'm trying to rebuild it.

When using 'Serial Print', my R383''s first byte reads as:
11000101 and the 4th Byte reads as 00000000 when Hat is pressed.

Is this just a different/newer/older model? Do I need to edit either of the bit2btn/R383btn lines?

I'm also having trouble with:

"Joystick_ Joystick(
JOYSTICK_DEFAULT_REPORT_ID, JOYSTICK_TYPE_GAMEPAD, 21, 1, // 21 buttons, 1 hatswitch
false, false, false, false, false, false,
false, false, false, false, false);

This returns "error 'Joystick' does not name a type". This is a library issue? I dont think Teensy uses the same libraries. Do you know how I would convert this?
A TeensyLC is similar to a Sparkfun Pro micro, but not identical. I'd try with a Sparkfun Pro micro first, they are only 11 euro.

A TeensyLC is similar to a Sparkfun Pro micro, but not identical. I'd try with a Sparkfun Pro micro first, they are only 11 euro.
Got a ProMicro in the post.

Any thoughts on the first byte?
I originally took the wheel apart ot find the cause of a USB disconnect I was having. Maybe those bits are a bad resistor?

Will anything need modifying in the bit2btn lines?

Last edited:
Got a ProMicro in the post.

Any thoughts on the first byte?
I originally took the wheel apart ot find the cause of a USB disconnect I was having. Maybe those bits are a bad resistor?

Will anything need modifying in the bit2btn lines?
I'd try the Pro Micro first, maybe the bytes are shifted with the TeensyLC?

Can you tell me what the "joystick_ joystick..." is doing?

I'm trying to find something similar in teensy, but as far as I can tell it's just got 'Joystick.begin' and you're off.

I've stripped hot-swap and debug, my apologies, but managed to get this going for TM-Sparco R383 with the TeensyLC board & its default Joystick library.

btn array has been edited to match my board/wheel combo and personal preferences.

I haven't separated the hatpress from hatpush yet. Will be putting code back in when I get a minute or 2 to spare.

Attachments

• TMSparco-TLC.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
If it's not too much trouble, could you provide an approximate measurement of the overall shaft length?
Does this help?
20230123_173821.jpg

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes