DIY Sim / Productivity Rig with Tactile - Build Log

Hi All!

I am starting this log as a story of my journey in upgrading my outdated desk to proper sim rig. In the process I stumbled across a lot of issues and questions, for which I could not find detailed information and pictures (as far as I saw it is quite common for the subject). This I decided to write up a build log with all that was done.

First of all, here is what I started with:
image001.jpg

image003.jpg

This is my old gaming desk, which was used both for sim racing and work (I work home office). The biggest issue with it was that when I switched to Fanatec setup it was not adequate support any more and I had to start thing of something more stable. Also another issue was that every evening after finishing work I had to mount the wheel and handbrake to drive, then had to remove them in the morning. This is not so big deal, but some evening I was just too laze to do it so I wouldn't play.

First I started investigating buying pre-fabricated rig, but all of them wouldn't fit my needs. As I am long years experienced computer modder, of course decided to pursue the DIY path. Lucky for me I was able to source all materials locally and they were rather cheap - I was way under the pre-made rig prices.

First of all started by listing all the requirements:

1. Completely DIY scratch build by my design
2. Will be used both for work and sim racing
3. Seat has to be high so I can rest my feet on ground (as I am 1.90m tall this required seat height about 40-50cm above ground)
4. All driving gear should be mounted permanently and not get in the way of monitors while in work mode (Fanatec coming with QR system is great advantage)
5. Ideally pedals will be mounted so I can stretch my legs and rest on them while working
6. Integrated monitor stand is preferred
7. Shifter, handbrake should be mounted in such way that mouse can be used all the time in comfortable position (work mode)
8. Seat should have sliders to be comfortable for other people, also for easier access

Having this in mind, I went ahead and downloaded MayCad (apparently the preferred tool for designing with Alu extrusion profiles). Right now I do not have the original design at hand, but either way we will get to this stage later in the build log.

For now let's start with a Teaser picture of the current state of the rig:

image002.jpg

After building the first version, I could not stop so added the following:

1. Made new gear / info displays (I am using Simhub)
2. At some point switched to complete Fanatec setup (pedals and shifter)
3. Added a wind sim
4. Added 4 Aura bass shakers in chassis mode for tactile feedback
5. Added addressable RGB lighting showing REVs and light effects

Here is short video demoing the RGB lighting:

Of course I have other upgrades planned, but they will be done later on after the summer ends:

1. I have 4 more Dayton DAEX32EP-4 exciters, which will have to mount for additional effects - still have not decided where to put them exactly.
2. Will change monitor setup - actually already got whatever I need, but no time to install it - will be updated later when I get to it
3. Will have to upgrade my PC - I am still using Athlon FX 8350 with GeForce 1060 and it is getting very outdated
4. Will be retiring my modded PC case as it does not provide easy access. Already made preliminary design how all will look

In the upcoming days I will be posting replies on the topic with a lot of pictures and technical details following the extensive collection of photos I took in the process and also sharing all the technical solutions I came up.

Hope this helps others and you enjoy my story,
Cheers,
Stoyan

Last edited:
Those isolators between cross bars and bass shaker assembly
are typically stiffer in compression and more compliant in shear;
if flopped 90 degrees and mounted e.g. to cross bar sides,
then lower shaker frequencies should be felt stronger
and better isolated

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of leds and RGB lights but those leds on the back of your cockpit look great. How does it work? It would be interesting to build a brake light (F1 style) and make it turn on red when you press the brake pedal.

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of leds and RGB lights but those leds on the back of your cockpit look great. How does it work? It would be interesting to build a brake light (F1 style) and make it turn on red when you press the brake pedal.

This is how I feel about RGB lights as well, but having them as REV lights justifies the mod. I put earlier in the thread more details how they are made HERE.

It is very easy setup, you need only aRGB strip, Arduino and 5V power supply.

Upvote 0
Part 43 - Sim-Lab Integrated Monitor Mount, Philips HUE Play

Lot more work followed on, I will try to compress it in one short post.
Finally I felt brave enough and decided to remove the dampers beneath the seat. This required modifying a little the mounting holes on the NLR V3 platform. Surprising the best tool was not the dremel but the D shaped metal file:

ABC97EC0-64C7-4C8C-B1C2-AD8F0B31BA79.jpeg

Having mounted the seat lower I proceeded with dismantling the rest of the construction:

5AC196B2-298E-4D29-8095-81FF7BF2D3AB.jpeg

The new smaller dampers arrived. Quickly I mounted the shakers vertically just to investigate the difference in placement:

ECAA2151-723F-40B2-831B-C3754263B5FF.jpeg

Following @blekenbleu's advice upwards I knew the preferred mounting option would be horizontal. Here is what I have at the end:

CABB3FB7-6270-4D49-B83D-7A033F0A8909.jpeg

Have to say the difference is immense and finally I achieved the effects I am after. For further explanation and in depth description of the outcome you can check my other thread, where I am describing my Bass Shaker Issues.

Next big thing was bringing back the monitor on the rig. I really did not like the static monitor with the added motion. I chose to test the Sim-Lab Integrated Monitor Mount and here it is:

B61C972F-CB16-4AED-BD31-194FB11E2EB9.jpeg

As see in a Youtube video reviewing it I used the original mount to support the monitor from behind and two smaller profiles to support it from below. Their edges were covered with double side taped foam rubber. The construction is rock solid and working very well for motion rig:

639DEC75-E811-43B4-A0BD-277682E1AA02.jpeg9A8371EF-2BE4-4AC4-9782-9774F13EB332.jpeg

Also rearranged my SQ shifter, handbrake, added Sim-Lab side mount for the Fanatec Shifter and a wireless touchpad:

F93D48A1-20A2-4AF6-A0C4-1EFA205B1DD0.jpeg

Added back my old mouse pad. Now everything is much tidier and surprisingly very stable:

B3D8DCCD-2FC1-4FE5-A1F6-AC7785781497.jpeg

Another quick mod was adding a Philips HUE Play kit behind monitor. I prefer it there as I wanted to avoid having long arm construction with motion platform and also glares from front placement on monitor. My ceilings are pretty low and HUE Play is quite powerful - the reflected light is more than enough and I pretty much like the effect. It was very fast installation - used only double sided tape for quick test and looks like this is how it will stay. In the meantime a third Play bar was purchased, still remains to be see where it will be placed:

98C1AA45-2422-44D7-A39A-4340BE9378F9.jpeg

Managed to edit all video material I collected in the process and posted online. Here it goes:

1. First test of the Motion Plus with drifting in AC:

2. WRC 10 + Dirt Rally 2.0 + Sim-Lab Integrated Monitor Mount:

3. Philips HUE Play first tests:

4. Installation of the NLR Motion Plus Platform:

5. And a bonus - finally finished the assembly video for my Magnetic Paddle Shifter (STLs and parts list in description):

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have not updated my build log for long time I can see. For the past year a lot of things changed, but mainly I put my monitors back on the rig and switched to mismatched tiples.
The NLR Motion+ broke after only 71 work hours so I had it repaired under warranty and sold it to move on to a RS Mega+ build.
Extended a lot my 3D projects and currently built something almost like Christmas tree but it was quite the fun.

Here are some highlights as follows:
Outdated walkaround video on the rig:

My mismatched monitor setup featuring the G9 + 2x Arzopa 15.6"portables for space considerations, works amazingly well:

The RS Mega+ build:

In the meantime a lot of other things changed and I am not sure I will be able to recollect the complete story. On the other hand have much more plans in store and will be heavily overhauling the whole setup in near future, so again a lot of work ahead :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back