DiRTy Pacenotes

DiRT Rally DiRTy Pacenotes 2.5.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
hello, sorry but I didn't understand one thing. To be able to use dirty pacenotes you must necessarily make the notes of the special stages, or can you take advantage of those present in the game and modify those?

Hi! It's not good for me. Sometimes he says, sometimes he doesn’t follow the instructions. I noticed that the counter is not yet where it is already saying the instruction. So it slides back and forth. Anyone have a similar problem with DR2? I attach the picture.
SnapCrab_2020-9-3_16-1-19_No-00.jpg
SnapCrab_2020-9-3_16-9-5_No-00.jpg

This is normal, depends how fast you drive and how early or late you set the pacenotes. In recce mode he should read them on time.

Hi! It's not good for me. Sometimes he says, sometimes he doesn’t follow the instructions. I noticed that the counter is not yet where it is already saying the instruction. So it slides back and forth. Anyone have a similar problem with DR2? I attach the picture.
Szia! Van egy itinered, amit megosztanál? :)

Please can someone share hardware settings config file for DP. I don't understand why Germany, Wales dont work and rest is OK. Maybe you know guys whan can be the cause of this strange behaviour. Do you use UDP just for pacenotes or for other apps sa well.

Did anyone manage to make this run for DR 2.0 Flat Out Pack?
Looks like the App doesn't detect starting of stages, like it does in other regions.
Haven't done a lot, but the countdown does not even start. It works for stages in Wales and Greece though...

cheers

Hi, I've done pretty much everything that I could see here to try and fix this but when I load into a stage on DR 2.0 it stays as "open pacenotes file or start recce". Any ideas how to fix this?

Hey all, I'm new to race department and Dirt Rally 2. Very rapidly disappointed with the consistency of pacenotes in the game, hence found this tool which looks great so far.
To get it working; must install ffmpeg (guide here worked for me without restart). For stage Wales/sweetlamb per someone's comment on page 9 go into the "dirty pacenotes" folder, in the data/codriver folder, and edit the stages.csv, to update length of sweet lamb stage to: 9911.6601, then it autodetects correctly.
I couldn't find and don't believe anyone's made a set of pacenotes to go with this plugin yet? I found that there's another plugin which does have pacenotes included for all stages for DR2. Their plugin doesn't look as user friendly to edit/show distances etc (and has random asian noises at start/crashes!), hence I adapted these pacenote files for use with Dirty Pacenotes. I grabbed the raw pacenote files from that plugin, and used some python scripting to reorganise/rename/cleanup non-ASCII chars/remove comments. I also merged some of the pace calls which were the same but different names throughout their notes. (i.e. 'distance_100' and '100', etc).
If anyone is interested see here the resulting pacenote files as a base to work from; untested other than for SweetLamb stage, which seemed they had just transribed the in-game notes. [If other stages don't load it could be the stage length doesn't match the DirtyPacenotes plugin stages.csv, or the pacenote file filename might not match what's listed in stages.csv.]
I've gone through SweetLamb and done a 1st pass tidyup of the notes; mainly simplifying them to reduce unnecessary detail, which helps the important notes stand out more. Is still a work in progress. (I know pro rally drivers have loads of notes, but I'm not a pro rally driver, and my brain can't cope...)
To generate sound files, I used balabolka (which can batch create sound files from input .txt files, which I made via python script also) with scottish voice Alan installed, although he's a bit tinny and slow. (Sounds folder and the simple python scripts shared in above google drive link also).
I'm very happy to share any updated pacenotes I make with anyone who wants them given the time it takes to make them. If anyone else has made decent full notes for any stages and wants to share them with me also would be a time-saver! If a few people are interested, it'd probably be good for one person to do all of one location, such that there's consistency across an entire rally location.
Edit: I realised just how painful/time-consuming it is even to check calls are in the correct location, so am writing a simple python script to take the XYZ coord trace from this, and then will step through the stage and that should make it far quicker to check calls are in the correct locations/shift them/edit them etc. If I ever finish it I'll post back here...

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm new to race department and Dirt Rally 2. Very rapidly disappointed with the consistency of pacenotes in the game, hence found this tool which looks great so far.
To get it working; must install ffmpeg (guide here worked for me without restart). For stage Wales/sweetlamb per someone's comment on page 9 go into the "dirty pacenotes" folder, in the data/codriver folder, and edit the stages.csv, to update length of sweet lamb stage to: 9911.6601, then it autodetects correctly.
I couldn't find and don't believe anyone's made a set of pacenotes to go with this plugin yet? I found that there's another plugin which does have pacenotes included for all stages for DR2. Their plugin doesn't look as user friendly to edit/show distances etc (and has random asian noises at start/crashes!), hence I adapted these pacenote files for use with Dirty Pacenotes. I grabbed the raw pacenote files from that plugin, and used some python scripting to reorganise/rename/cleanup non-ASCII chars/remove comments. I also merged some of the pace calls which were the same but different names throughout their notes. (i.e. 'distance_100' and '100', etc).
If anyone is interested see here the resulting pacenote files as a base to work from; untested other than for SweetLamb stage, which seemed they had just transribed the in-game notes. [If other stages don't load it could be the stage length doesn't match the DirtyPacenotes plugin stages.csv, or the pacenote file filename might not match what's listed in stages.csv.]
I've gone through SweetLamb and done a 1st pass tidyup of the notes; mainly simplifying them to reduce unnecessary detail, which helps the important notes stand out more. Is still a work in progress. (I know pro rally drivers have loads of notes, but I'm not a pro rally driver, and my brain can't cope...)
To generate sound files, I used balabolka (which can batch create sound files from input .txt files, which I made via python script also) with scottish voice Alan installed, although he's a bit tinny and slow. (Sounds folder and the simple python scripts shared in above google drive link also).
I'm very happy to share any updated pacenotes I make with anyone who wants them given the time it takes to make them. If anyone else has made decent full notes for any stages and wants to share them with me also would be a time-saver! If a few people are interested, it'd probably be good for one person to do all of one location, such that there's consistency across an entire rally location.
Edit: I realised just how painful/time-consuming it is even to check calls are in the correct location, so am writing a simple python script to take the XYZ coord trace from this, and then will step through the stage and that should make it far quicker to check calls are in the correct locations/shift them/edit them etc. If I ever finish it I'll post back here...
Aha! just noticed that you have tried the ZTMZClub pacenote tool... actually you can turn off those 'noise' in the settings page:
Snipaste_2022-09-02_20-07-56.png

the ZTMZClub pacenote tool... actually you can turn off those 'noise' in the settings page:
Ahh nice, I clearly didn't pay enough attention, thanks. Also thanks to you on behalf of all your contributors for the pacenote files in your mod. Were those notes made semi-manually via text editors or was there a tool used to make/edit the notes? My below work-in-progress tool should be able to be used to edit the pacenotes from your ZTMZClub pacenote tool also; I guess if I get it working I can upload on racedepartment as a mod?

I've got a very rough & dirty proof of concept working for my map-based pacenote editor written in python curses & matplotlib. I still need to implement all the note editing/saving functionality, but looks promising and I expect should greatly speed up modifying notes and avoiding. Left is curses view of upcoming distances and notes, right is plot of the road trace from RDA mod, centred and rotated to the current selected note, with notes shown and annotated on there.
Also implemented auto-distance call calculator, so you just put @ in the note and it calculates the distance call to the next note. I think it'd be best to merge this into the next or previous note when playing this in DirtyPacenotes; should be easy enough to let user decide if they prefer the distance call after the previous corner note, or before the next corner note.
Screenshot 2022-09-04 091545.jpg

My plan is to also hack the DirtyPacenotes reader to implement a pacenote "stack" system, where it'll call a user-configurable number of notes ahead (with a min and max distance limit also), rather just a distance or time based; so in tight twisty sections it won't get too far ahead. (Similar to the intent of the "Max Note Stack" in Richard Burns Rally.) Also I assume it should be feasible to get the length of each sound file, then I can also shift the call a bit earlier based on the total length of sound files to be played.

Ahh nice, I clearly didn't pay enough attention, thanks. Also thanks to you on behalf of all your contributors for the pacenote files in your mod. Were those notes made semi-manually via text editors or was there a tool used to make/edit the notes? My below work-in-progress tool should be able to be used to edit the pacenotes from your ZTMZClub pacenote tool also; I guess if I get it working I can upload on racedepartment as a mod?

I've got a very rough & dirty proof of concept working for my map-based pacenote editor written in python curses & matplotlib. I still need to implement all the note editing/saving functionality, but looks promising and I expect should greatly speed up modifying notes and avoiding. Left is curses view of upcoming distances and notes, right is plot of the road trace from RDA mod, centred and rotated to the current selected note, with notes shown and annotated on there.
Also implemented auto-distance call calculator, so you just put @ in the note and it calculates the distance call to the next note. I think it'd be best to merge this into the next or previous note when playing this in DirtyPacenotes; should be easy enough to let user decide if they prefer the distance call after the previous corner note, or before the next corner note.
View attachment 597625
My plan is to also hack the DirtyPacenotes reader to implement a pacenote "stack" system, where it'll call a user-configurable number of notes ahead (with a min and max distance limit also), rather just a distance or time based; so in tight twisty sections it won't get too far ahead. (Similar to the intent of the "Max Note Stack" in Richard Burns Rally.) Also I assume it should be feasible to get the length of each sound file, then I can also shift the call a bit earlier based on the total length of sound files to be played.
Glad to see people interested in pacenote customization!

The curve view looks great and I like it! Much more intuitive than just scripts. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes, most of the pacenotes are created automatically by speech recognition on Phil's in-game calls (with the Dev version ZPT interacting with a python AI model, Thanks Phil !!!), see video here. And manually adjustment made after that. Only less than 20 pacenotes made by hand. (Writing script by hand is painful when you have both a wheel and keyboard in front of the screen).

BTW, there are several "dynamic" pacenotes (Spain and Poland) with "@dynamic" annotation at the beginning of the file. In which pacenote record like "20,5_left" means there is a left5 corner just at distance 20. The voice will be played dynamically according to current car's speed and distance to 20 (The RBR way). For others without @dynamic, the voice will be played just at the distance defined.

We used to come up with an idea to record low FPS game 'video' (screenshots) with distance info attached and graphical pacenote signs to help people adjust the pacenotes. (There's a similar tool for RBR I think) But that would cost too much since there's only one developer and I just made it for fun in my spare time.

About the tight twisty sections (Scotland tracks), in the ZPT, I calculate the sound file length and accelerate the playback speed dynamically to avoid late calls. It's not perfect but somehow alleviating the issue. People in our local community believe that the pacenotes in Scotland should be simplified, but no one contributes new scripts for now. :cry:

Also I found the github repo of Dirty Pacenotes, it's a single file python application wrapped by some exe wrapper I think. Not sure if you can reach Palo Samo for contribution, or maybe a fork would be ok?

Last edited:
We used to come up with an idea to record low FPS game 'video' (screenshots) with distance info attached and graphical pacenote signs to help people adjust the pacenotes. (There's a similar tool for RBR I think) But that would cost too much since there's only one developer and I just made it for fun in my spare time.
Yes I was thinking the same. For the first manual updates I made, I simply did a screen recording of a slow speed recce through the stage, with the "Dirty Pacenotes" window showing with the distance counter. Then playing back the video makes it easier to skip back and foward through sections to decide on the notes to use, but it can still get confusing lining up the video with the manual CSV editing.
The output from RDA includes the lap time, hence from this it should be easy enough to link the video time to a distance using the RDA output, and hence should be able to play through the video and have the pacenotes & map trace follow in realtime. If keystrokes can be sent to the video player, then it should be possible to control playback from the pacenote editor, with everything staying in sync. I'm sure this'd be painful to achieve though...

Yes, most of the pacenotes are created automatically by speech recognition
Genius! That explains why the distances of the few I've looked at so far seem to be before the corners; when the game calls them out.

I simply did a screen recording of a slow speed recce through the stage, with the "Dirty Pacenotes" window showing with the distance counter.
hahahaha, yes our manual script was created almost the same, a slow speed video with both the game and distance counter.

Looking forward to your mod. :laugh:

Looking forward to your mod. :laugh:
I've just uploaded my 1st pass effort: Pacenote Map Editor
I assume you don't mind I've included the converted ZTMCClub notes in there also as a base for people.

Designed to work in the DiRTy Pacenotes format and pacenote file structure & naming.
I've just done it in python curses so it's responsive and when you've learnt the keystrokes should be quick to edit compared with point & clicking. (Bearing in mind I've used a windows port of curses, but should work hopefully...)

I've hijacked this dicussion thread enough so maybe let me know any suggestions on that discussion board. Bear in mind I'm not a software engineer, so it's rough, and for some reason the compiled .exe is extremely slow to open at first, although once loaded it's fine.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, this tool does not work at all. My UDP is setup:
Code:
<udp enabled="true" extradata="3" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" />
But DP does not recognize tracks or distances.

Edit: Changing the port and then changing it back in DP makes it kind of work. But it only works for the first stage that's loaded - it stops updating after that and becomes useless.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back