DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0: VR Update Now Live

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have released their free VR support update for DiRT Rally 2.0.

Available to download from either the DiRT Rally 2.0 Steam page or buy via the Oculus Store, a new update for DiRT Rally 2.0 is here - adding long awaited support for the inclusion of virtual reality to the game for the very first time.

When DR2.0 launched back in February, plenty of the community were up in arms about the lack of VR support for the title, which was particularly galling considering the very solid implementation Codemasters produced for the first DiRT Rally release - and now that situation has been fixed thanks to a major new, free, update for the title.

Having promised players that a post launch VR update would be brought to the DiRT 2.0 in the months after the game released, Codemasters have now come good on that promise - yesterday dropping the surprise update for players to download and use with immediate effect.

Initially expected to be exclusive to Oculus Rift, the new VR patch has a wider scope than first anticipated, adding OpenVR support to the title to allow different types of VR headset to be used within the game.

Also available in the new V1.7 update comes new liveries and the DirtFish location as a Test Drive location. To access the location select [Garage] from the My Team main menu, and then [Vehicle Options] and [Test Drive].

DirtFish is expected to be added to Freeplay in a future update. There are currently no plans to add it to Multiplayer and VR support for PS4 is not something under consideration by the studio.

DiRT 2.0 Update 1.7 2.jpg
DiRT 2.0 Update 1.7.jpg

DiRT 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PS4 and PC now.

Check the DiRT 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news, mods and community discussion about this excellent rally game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

whats your rig set up. I have a 2080ti and a 9700k and i cant get a stable 90 with those settings. Maybe its my samsung O+ causing the issue? even with settings turned down a bit i can get 90 but its very jittery. And it would be at 90 then spike down to 77 or some lower number
Greg, same HMD as yours, only my eyes don't glow. :)
I'll try to take a snap of my settings tomorrow, it's a bit tricky with the way Codies do mirroring.
Essentially it's stock High Preset with above changes + Night and Shadows on Medium.
Actually, here's the xml with config. It's from Documents/My games/Dirt Rally 2.0/hardwaresettings.
Just compare with yours (remove txt extension).
And you don't need that -vmrmode Oculus launch param, it doesn't make any difference, at least on WMR.

With FpsVR I see plenty of CPU headroom but my GPU is definitely due for a replacement.

Attachments

• hardware_settings_config.xml.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited by a moderator:
Greg, same HMD as yours, only my eyes don't glow. :)
I'll try to take a snap of my settings tomorrow, it's a bit tricky with the way Codies do mirroring.
Essentially it's stock High Preset with above changes + Night and Shadows on Medium.
Actually, here's the xml with config. It's from Documents/My games/Dirt Rally 2.0/hardwaresettings.
Just compare with yours (remove txt extension).
And you don't need that -vmrmode Oculus launch param, it doesn't make any difference, at least on WMR.
sweet man. thank you. And come to think of it it could be my glowing eyes causing the problem. god rays galore :roflmao:

• Deleted member 197115

Forgot to mention, I never launch anything from SteamVR Home, have it completely disabled in fact.
Just start steamVR and launch Dirt Rally 2.0 from steam client library or your desktop shortcut.
And check that "Launch games in theater mode in VR" is disabled in Steam Client settings, it can mess things up.

Phew, guess I nailed perfect settings for my system.
The trick is not to use in game AA in any form, MSAA or CMAA, CMAA doesn't do anything, MSAA just blurries everything out.
What works the best visually and performs well is combination of high res textures and high SuperSampling:
- AA - OFF
- AF - OFF (AFx16 in Nvidia driver)
- Texture details - Ultra
- Track details - Ultra
- Objects - Ultra
- Trees - Ultra

Set Crowd to Low and disable Advanced Blending.

With that I can run 200% SS at very stable 90 fps and it looks nice and sharp.
These worked really well on my Vive Pro with 150% SS. Nice stable 90fps. Many thanks.

• Deleted member 197115

BTW, this fix seems to be still working for awful in VR HDR.

And while there, set taa to 0, that improves theater view image.

<graphics_card rating="4">
<eyefinity force="" osd="" />
<stereo enabled="false" separation="0.015" convergence="0.5" />
<resolution width="1920" height="1080" aspect="auto" fullscreen="1" vsync="0" refreshRate="60" multisampling="4xmsaa" supersampling="1" taa="0" />
<gamma level="0.700000" />
<hdr level="0.1" />
</graphics_card>

New Zealand stages, OMG, what an eye candy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't own a VR unit so I don't know much about adjustments but every VR video I see of any racing game, be it iRacing, Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, RFactor 2, Dirt 2.0, etc. almost always has the player using an unrealistic and "friendly" (I won't go so far to call it arcadey) view that has the view (AKA the driver's eyes, head, or seat) placed too high and too downward-titled. In reality, the view should be much lower and facing almost straight into the distance (maybe just the slightest amount downard).

Are games' views still able to be adjusted in VR mode or are players stuck with what the developer sets up?

Same question regarding FOV: Are we supposed to assume each games' developer sets up a perfect 1:1-with-real-life-scale FOV and for every different headset out there? Or do we still need to calculate and adjust the FOV (like how we have to calculate the 1:1 scale FOV with monitors depending on their size, aspect ratio, eyes-to-monitor distance, etc.)?
What you're viewing in 2d VR recordings (only one eye is recorded) has nothing to do with the view you get in a 3D headset. In most games you can adjust the parameters you've mentionned.

• Deleted member 197115

I hope they fix performance issues soon or later, but I am struggling without option "fix camera to horizon".
Any idea when/whether Codies implement it?
I am sick without it.. :-(
I think it's fixed by default. And performance is adequate already, could be beter of course.
Have you tried it?

so i got rid of most of my stuttering by disabling turbo boost in my bios. ( intel 9700k) now im getting smooth gameplay with pretty high settings. looks great actually. Thanks Andrew for the tips as well. i disabled steam home too.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • More leagues

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 5.9%