DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0: VR Still Coming - No Release Date Yet

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2.0 VR Update.jpg

Codemasters have given a very brief update on the promised VR update for DiRT 2.0.

VR, or Virtual Reality, continues to steadily grow in popularity within the sim racing game space, something that has and continues to be recognised by many racing game developers.

With the ability to sit right in the heart of your virtual race car, VR and sim racing are a perfect match for each other, and for many who have tried the combination, lack of VR support is seen as pretty much a deal breaker with regards to spending any serious time within games.

Noting this trend amongst racing game fans, not to mention an immense amount of community pressure via social media, Codemasters confirmed a post release update will be heading to the game that brings VR support to the title.. but have since remained tight lipped on how VR will be implemented, or when it will be coming.

Today the development team left a small note at the end of their recent roadmap update, and although light on detail, it does at least give us reassurance that VR is still on the table, and set to join DR2.0 in the non too distant future..

Summer is here and the DiRT community’s been lighting up our Twitter page with one question in particular, “where is VR”? While we don’t have a release date or extra info to share right now I do want to point out that yes, the DiRT team is working hard on making the virtual a reality in DiRT Rally 2.0. We’re excited to share the news just as much as you are to read it, and once everything is in place we’ll provide another update.
Not exactly full of detail, but reassuring nevertheless..... keep holding tight folks, it's coming!

DiRT 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PS4 and PC now.

Check the DiRT 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news, mods and community discussion about this excellent rally game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

After a long download, I got the Oculus version installed. I had some sound issues which I resolved by setting Windows to use the Rift S speakers and changed the sound settings in Oculus home to explicitly use the Rift S speakers. I also had an issue with my pedals not being recognised properly. I had to delete the assignment, reassign them and restart the sim to get them to work.

When you run the sim, a mirror window opens which shows the the distorted 2 eye view. Inside the HMD, you see the same interface as in the Steam version. SteamVR does not open up. Performance is many times better than the SteamVR version. It is smooth but not quite as smooth as other sims I’m used to (iRacing and AC). I was able to run Medium/High settings and get a smooth framerate. On the SteamVR version I couldn’t get smooth FPS at all, even on ultra low. I think the graphics are washed out compared with Dirt Rally, iRacing and AC, even with reduced brightness.

There are some track and car files missing from the Rift version compared with the deluxe Steam version. The SteamVR api dll is also missing. Various other files have different sizes. I’m not going to post any files lists, comparisons or try to assemble my own version from the two sets of files because I don’t want to jeopardise the refund I’ve requested a from the Oculus Store. I’m not going to do any more testing so I don’t go over the 2 hour time limit either.

SteamVR beta 1.7.3 working /w Dirt Rally VR now.

...and performance is a LOT better, not perfect by all means but at least with my Ryzen 3700x+1080ti combo its holding 80 fps /w about 20% headroom on my Rift S on a mixture of med/high settings and stutter has been reduced.

Using -Oculus in launch options.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back