DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0: VR Still Coming - No Release Date Yet

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2.0 VR Update.jpg

Codemasters have given a very brief update on the promised VR update for DiRT 2.0.

VR, or Virtual Reality, continues to steadily grow in popularity within the sim racing game space, something that has and continues to be recognised by many racing game developers.

With the ability to sit right in the heart of your virtual race car, VR and sim racing are a perfect match for each other, and for many who have tried the combination, lack of VR support is seen as pretty much a deal breaker with regards to spending any serious time within games.

Noting this trend amongst racing game fans, not to mention an immense amount of community pressure via social media, Codemasters confirmed a post release update will be heading to the game that brings VR support to the title.. but have since remained tight lipped on how VR will be implemented, or when it will be coming.

Today the development team left a small note at the end of their recent roadmap update, and although light on detail, it does at least give us reassurance that VR is still on the table, and set to join DR2.0 in the non too distant future..

Summer is here and the DiRT community’s been lighting up our Twitter page with one question in particular, “where is VR”? While we don’t have a release date or extra info to share right now I do want to point out that yes, the DiRT team is working hard on making the virtual a reality in DiRT Rally 2.0. We’re excited to share the news just as much as you are to read it, and once everything is in place we’ll provide another update.
Not exactly full of detail, but reassuring nevertheless..... keep holding tight folks, it's coming!

DiRT 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PS4 and PC now.

Check the DiRT 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news, mods and community discussion about this excellent rally game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

No VR, No Buy!!! VR makes the game even a consideration for me. It's sad that a company would make such a wonderful VR rally game (DIRT Rally) would choose to play games with it's fans and followers by releasing the next game in the series without VR support and then making a "loose" promise to implement it later, many, many months after its initial release when people stopped caring about the title and have given up on it completely. I think sim racing and VR go hand in hand and I wish every racing game lover could try my setup, a Pimax 5K XR 170 Degree FOV Headset, a DOFReality 3DOF Motion Simulator with a ButtKicker Tactile Transducer and an Arduino Wind Simulator. Most people would understand and agree the VR is a must. Soon enough these companies will start to really see a major loss of revenue when they fail to implement VR and it will become a requirement, just like steering wheel and H-pattern shifter support. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.

The promise isn't "loose", it's coming and confirmed, and already developed by Climax studios.

http://www.climaxstudios.com/dirt-rally-2/

You can think about Codemasters or DR2.0 DLC scheme what you want, but if you skip Dirt Rally 2.0 because of some of the common petty reasons.... good luck waiting for a better rally sim. Might take years. Might take 10 years. Think of how long RBR lasted, because there wasn't better one. Dirt Rally 2.0 might be the "next RBR", in that there's no better replacement. Don't think DR has been commercial success for Codemasters, the console sales of DR1 were quite poor. I was surprised it even got a sequel. Rally sims are a niche (rally in itself) inside a niche (sim racing) inside a niche (driving games)

While I can perfectly understand "No VR no buy". I have zero interest to drive anything on 1 screen, after being "spoiled" by years of large FOV on triples, and now VR. I stored my triples to save room space. Means likely that I will skip WRC8 too :(

Triples are the absolute minimum for driving games. I wish I had space for both

But think positively, you get the Deluxe Edition for pretty cheap now, so you didn't miss on anything, the release date for you was just 6 months later. While it's not a perfect rally sim (tarmac, missing tyre slip FFB effects), it's a small genre with very few worthwhile entries, that is worth supporting.

Last edited:
While it's not a perfect rally sim (tarmac, missing tyre slip FFB effects), it's a small genre with very few worthwhile entries, that is worth supporting.

I highly agree. As much as I love the continual support for Richard Burns Rally, I just can't bring myself to play it anymore these days because the graphics engine is so outdated. Normally I'm gameplay over graphics any day of the week, but I find myself so much more heavily immersed in Dirt Rally 2.0, and it provides a much better sim experience.

The only thing I'm bummed about is that Dirt Rally 2.0 is that Codemasters aren't too keen on modding, and that will inevitably bite it in the ass I'm afraid.

Definitely will buy this when VR is released but not before. Can someone tell me are all the original tracks from the 1st dRally in this sequel or at least available as dlc ? I never followed it much once I read vr was not in at launch so pls excuse my ignorance !

Can someone tell me are all the original tracks from the 1st dRally in this sequel or at least available as dlc ? I never followed it much once I read vr was not in at launch so pls excuse my ignorance !
All except Finland, Greece and Pikes Peak at this point. Pikes Peak won't come, as Gran Turismo has the exclusive license. There's rumors about Season 3 which might include the remaining locations, but it's not confirmed by Codemasters.

However this SteamDB page strongly suggests it will happen: https://steamdb.info/app/690790/depots/

As you can see there are slots for unreleased DLCs:

f8feb098d913533d178fa77eda3a6d34.png

Germany RX will be the last content for Season 2. After that nothing has been announced. I'd assume that they will milk even more money, by releasing content that is not part of the Deluxe Version, but it's own additional DLC (Season 3 and perhaps 4)

The "USA Test" is the Dirt Fish from Dirt 4. It's added for free, but only available as a test drive location, no "minigames" or such. (Which wouldn't fit the mood of DR 2.0 tbh, however Dirt Fish is a real place in USA)

DLC's after that, 1.8, 1.9. etc. suggest that there's still more unannounced locations to come.

Any news on ETA?
Not really: http://blog.codemasters.com/community/08/the-dirt-roadbook-august-2-2019/

That's the latest blog from August 2nd, no mention of VR. But it has been developed already, as many already know: http://www.climaxstudios.com/dirt-rally-2/

That page existed roughly a month ago already.

Maybe it will be the "surprise" that the blog talks about, with 1.7 update on August 8th. But I'd expect them to make more noise about it, if it was VR.

Last edited:
Confirmed, VR is releasing today:

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/08/vr-dirtfish-patch-notes-version-1-7-of-dirt-rally-2-0/

VR for DiRT Rally 2.0: Available Now on Oculus and Steam.

- OpenVR support to the Steam version.
- Oculus version has a set of exclusive Community Challenges + exclusive liveries for 5 cars.
- VR is free in Steam (no DLC like some feared)

The new update includes also the DirtFish training grounds (for free):

DR2_Location_DirtFish-19.jpg

Plus some related DirtFish liveries. Pretty nice... time to get into VR tonight

Last edited:
It's working on my Oculus Rift via Steam VR but so far the in-game performance is terrible (i9/1080Ti) - stuttering to the point of unplayable - regardless of what in-game VR graphics options I have selected.

Only the in-car gameplay is in VR, none of UI/menus which caught me out at first, once the car loads into the stage it is VR in car.

For the short time I could stand the flickering the graphics look good and the wheel feedback is superbly intuitive but it'll need to be a lot smoother for me to play!

Performance for me is pretty bad. 1080Ti OC and 8700K with Rift S. It's really choppy, in Reddit people seem to feel it's about SteamVR, which can't be overridden. There is no Native Oculus support in Steam version, which is kind of dick-move. To get native performance, you need to buy from Oculus store.

The menus are in theater type of view, and only once you are in the cockpit, it goes 3D which wouldn't bother me, but the crap performance does.

So I would advise to wait, if you plan to buy from Steam sale or key reseller sites, and using Oculus headset. Would be interesting if someone buys from Oculus store, to compare performances...

TL;DR: CAUTION: Steam version only has OpenVR, and it doesn't run great. If you want native Oculus mode with native performance, you need to buy from Oculus store.

Unless enough people complain about this... and Codemasters adds a native mode into Steam too.

Last edited:
I managed to get it going well enough in Oculus VR to record this, all ultra-low settings, and there are multiple dips from 90fps to around mid 70's (FPS counter in top right corner).

It's a real shame that the Oculus performance via Steam VR is so poor because steer feel is great and VR makes the terrain so much easier to read and adapt to. It isn't good enough to play.

Has anyone tried the Oculus Store version? I wonder if it works any better? I won't be buying the game again just for VR though!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back