DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0: VR Still Coming - No Release Date Yet

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2.0 VR Update.jpg

Codemasters have given a very brief update on the promised VR update for DiRT 2.0.

VR, or Virtual Reality, continues to steadily grow in popularity within the sim racing game space, something that has and continues to be recognised by many racing game developers.

With the ability to sit right in the heart of your virtual race car, VR and sim racing are a perfect match for each other, and for many who have tried the combination, lack of VR support is seen as pretty much a deal breaker with regards to spending any serious time within games.

Noting this trend amongst racing game fans, not to mention an immense amount of community pressure via social media, Codemasters confirmed a post release update will be heading to the game that brings VR support to the title.. but have since remained tight lipped on how VR will be implemented, or when it will be coming.

Today the development team left a small note at the end of their recent roadmap update, and although light on detail, it does at least give us reassurance that VR is still on the table, and set to join DR2.0 in the non too distant future..

Summer is here and the DiRT community’s been lighting up our Twitter page with one question in particular, “where is VR”? While we don’t have a release date or extra info to share right now I do want to point out that yes, the DiRT team is working hard on making the virtual a reality in DiRT Rally 2.0. We’re excited to share the news just as much as you are to read it, and once everything is in place we’ll provide another update.
Not exactly full of detail, but reassuring nevertheless..... keep holding tight folks, it's coming!

DiRT 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PS4 and PC now.

Check the DiRT 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news, mods and community discussion about this excellent rally game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I dont think you should have done it like that, they woukd be interested to know the figures and whether VR was worthwhile. if customers are buying in advance they won't see how lucrative VR may well have been. I won't go near until VR is released because if its successful they may consider it on the F1 franchise which i really want to play but can't.

I was on the fence about my purchase for that specific reason, and I agree it would have helped with the numbers. I probably should have waited.

My thought process was this. VR is definitely coming for Dirt Rally 2.0 and by the next version of Dirt Rally 2-3 years from now that there will be a much larger VR audience that they finally won't be able to ignore for their initial release. So in the end I decided the impact of the time of my purchase was minimal.

Could it have effected the outcome of VR for F1 2020 ??? Maybe.

AFAIK, vr is only coming to the oculus store version. So beware of buying dr2 on steam while it's on offer, expecting revive to work with it

I guess I wasted my money then and regret my decision to buy early already :(

If they don't bring it to steam, I may boycott it for that reason alone. I won't buy it twice. I'm ditching my Rift and moving to a Valve Index and planning to completely abandon my Oculus Store games.

I have specifically purchased games in Steam with the idea that I could run the Rift and something else in the future. That day is coming fast.

On the one hand I understand that if Oculus is footing the bill, they want the revenue. Hopefully that will just be an initial release thing and eventually Steam will offer it after Oculus has made some money off of it.

Oh well easy come easy go. I guess I'll make the most of Dirt Rally 1.0 and won't buy anymore Codemasters games going forward.

Not elitist, frustrated that developers act like it’s an afterthought, or worse, that VR racing doesn’t even exist. All the while Valve Index is sold out until November (a 1000 Euro headset) and Oculus Quest made $5 million in content sales in 2 weeks.

(and the french pancakes thing is a joke btw. but maybe it was too difficult to understand)

Last edited:
Don't feed the trolls.

The only reason people would complain about VR users making comments on a thread about getting VR support is that they are trolling. Why else would someone whose needs are being met even bother to visit a VR thread just to complain about VR users unless they just want to insult people?

It's not worth responding to insults. It's a lose:lose proposition.

In "VR goons" defense, I'm kinda considering Oculus Rift S, because CV1 resolution wasn't enough for me (and price at the time was too high for what it was, 739€) , but now I have better GPU and Rift S seems interesting... of course if I would buy it, I would want games to support it.

It would already mean, I would need to drop 2 of my favorite sims/games, Wreckfest and Automobilista out of my sim roster (AMS2 is coming, luckily). Every racing title that doesn't support it, is too much in that situation. Another interesting title that won't support VR will be WRC 8. Worthwhile VR games seem to be few and far between. Codemasters dropped the VR ball with F1 2019 again

With Dirt Rally 2.0, I have the Deluxe Edition, and if after buying Rift S it would turn out it only works in VR if bought via Oculus store, I would be majorly pissed...

I bough Dirt Rally 2.0 on sale and regret it... still no VR... the game is good looking, but not having VR it is totally wort less for me (not saying is a bad game)... right now the game is in my steam library next to Dirt 4, Dirt 3, Automoblista, F1 2016, GRIND and a lot of other simulators I have buy but no longer use because of the lack of VR... also I stop playing Forza 6 and 7 in my pc and have not even touch forza Horizons for the lack of VR in those titles.

I did get an Oculus Rift S three days ago. I'm loving it... but if my DR 2.0 Steam version won't get VR (and only the Oculus store one) I will be super pissed. I reinstalled Dirt Rally 1 for now.

I can perfectly understand why VR people need VR. I got rid of my triple screen setup. I'm really not going back to single screen driving, after using triples for 5 years. Some old game like Wreckfest I might pick up once in a while, and drive on one screen couple of laps, but doubt it.

With new sim titles, it's VR, or GTFO. (Unless I setup my triples again, they are stored but it takes awful lot of room space, one of reasons I went for VR)

they are stored but it takes awful lot of room space, one of reasons I went for VR)

That is an interesting point. One mandate for my rig was that it be mobile. I'm able roll it into the center of my media room / VR room scale area and set it up in about 1 minute and disconnect it and move it out the way even faster.

If you look at the bulk and cost of a 3 monitor setup, VR adds convenience and reduces bulk and mobility dramatically. A high quality 3 screen configuration also requires a powerful PC and people with triple screen setups complain if titles don't have triple screen support.

If you look at the bulk and cost of a 3 monitor setup, VR adds convenience and reduces bulk and mobility dramatically. A high quality 3 screen configuration also requires a powerful PC and people with triple screen setups complain if titles don't have triple screen support.
Definitely. And yes, triple users complain just like VR users, when their display method isn't supported. As do TrackIR owners. All are understandable (and all evident in ACC forums)

Also one thing I like about VR, I don't have to use Nvidia Surround anymore. The interface for that is terrible (if you switch a lot between surround and regular extended desktop, like I did)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back