DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0 Update 1.4 Released - FFB Update Next Week

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2 Update.jpg

Codemasters have released a new DiRT 2.0 update to the game - alongside confirming a new Force Feedback fix is on the way next week...

The new update, deployed to the title yesterday, comes at an important time for DiRT 2.0 with many players starting to become frustrated with a game that is seemingly failing to live up to its initial potential in the eyes of the community.

Having released across both PC and console just a few short months ago, Codemasters have remained active within the community and do seem to be responding to the feedback of the players, whilst at the same time releasing a robust if slightly controversial program of post launch DLC.

Although this update offers a number of useful tweaks and fixes, it is perhaps the final sentence of the below change log that will interest players the most... the long awaited force feedback update is set to be deployed to the game next week - hopefully addressing some of the issues that appear to be at the forefront of community members experiences to date.

DiRT 2.0 V1.4 Update Notes:
  • Online Custom events can now be set up as human only
  • Plain black and white liveries added for most vehicles
  • UI indication added for when ghost cars are stopped due to time penalty
  • Leaderboards will now support going to the top from all positions
  • AI will no longer select unreleased vehicles
  • Speedcar Xtrem wheels will not disappear
  • Improvement to Silverstone joker lap detection
  • Costa Rican added as a nationality
  • Tyre warnings are improved when in the service area
  • Reset line improvements on Mettet
  • Delta Daily will now award correct credits
  • Improvements to Opel Manta 400 engine audio
  • Turning off Personal Best ghosts will keep them off for the remainder of the session
  • Visual improvements to some vehicles
  • Proximity warnings will not be shown on retired vehicles
  • Resuming championships will not damage previously undamaged components
  • Stability improvements throughout title
Please note that a further update will follow in the next week, which will focus solely upon FFB – so if you’re wondering where that is, it’s just around the next corner!

DiRT Rally 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC now.

For news, discussion, mods and more head over to the DiRT Rally 2.0 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I think you're naive, I'm afraid. Like I said, PC2 also had on-payroll drivers telling us the FFB and physics were incredible. I'd much rather hear from a driver who isn't getting paid by the very developers whose work they are "reviewing".
OK. I still prefer to think people are not lying to everyone by default just because they also happen to be paid for their job, so I generally tend to prefer seeing proof they are lying to me first before I assume someone's a liar.

The on-tarmac FFB in DR 1.0 has got to be the worst, most vague, nearly useless FFB I've ever experienced.
No one who's done even causal amateur-level racing (or even just drifting/autocrossing in a parking lot) could fail to notice that. Real cars do not feel like that. If they did, I'd have long since flown off one of the bleacher turns at COTA, wondering why I never noticed the incipient understeer.
OK, if you say so.

Your assertion that, essentially, FFB is purely subjective is specious. What you're really saying is "I don't know how it's supposed to feel, so it's totally subjective." That's a logical error. You're assuming other people can't tell if FFB feels like a real car. FFB is like anything else: Some implementations are better than others.
No, that's not "what I'm really saying", that's a complete strawman on your part (whether intentional or unintentional I honestly can't tell). But whatever, if you think that's what I'm saying, then by all means, you're welcome to your interpretation.

Kinda a bit late to fix the ffb everyone has already gotten over the game by now. Should have been good on day one.
Maybe from commercial standpoint. But imo that's the thinking of mainstream gamer, not the one of simmer. Why would simmers be "over" DR 2.0 if they actually deliver a good FFB patch. Dirt Rally 1 was played for years and is still being played. Is there really something better on the rally front

Sure the game has it's flaws and Codemasters botched up the launch, but competition on rally sim front is really low. For me it has replaced Dirt Rally, which I kept playing for 4 years

Last edited:
But in the sand, there's nothing!

Exactly how I would describe the feel of this game....driving in sand! :)

Ripping around the local Kananaskis rally course here in Alberta the past 5 yrs regularly, it is hard packed with a layer of packed gravel (loose surface) tarmac areas are pretty rough and not too well kept.

A good offroad suspension setup, with hydrolic speed bumps at high speeds will soak up alot the of major bumps and float across rough surfaces but there is still tons of vibrations and feedback coming through the wheel as the tire skips across the surface, ruts will pull your wheel when entering or exiting the grove from my experience.

Comparing to other Rally type games, Imo...spungy tire aside, iracing does a pretty good job with dirt and RallyX content as you can really feel the tire skipping, sliding squirming as it fights for grip on dirt aswell as good suspension feel as you to balance the vehicle on the edge.

Anyways, looking forward to next week's ffb update and hopefully they will be able to improve the tire to ground feel :)

Now I might sound odd talking about FFB, but I played the game back in version 1.0/1.1 on a controller, since to this day I do not own a wheel. I don't know, maybe I played too much rF2, but the FFB on a controller felt... Weird. Even F1 2017/2018 does better with FFB, I think.
My problems with FFB were:
  • Lack of On-Tarmac FFB (even though there isn't much Asphalt in the game, even DR 1.0 had some On-Tarmac FFB effects, so this felt like a major oversight to me - like floating through asphalt)
  • Quite weak FFB overall (even cranked to max) (could be just me used to rF2 FFB levels, which are high, but very detailed)
  • Slight lack of FFB information (you can feel the car sliding around, but it's hard to feel the tyre grip)
  • And just overall, people expected FFB to feel at least on the same levels as DR 1.0 were (but mostly improved on that) - by now it's kinda obvious they aren't. Though I'm not saying DR 1.0 had perfect FFB, but it was quite good and informative.
I guess I'll have to check out the game again after the FFB patch next week.

Exactly how I would describe the feel of this game....driving in sand! :)

Ripping around the local Kananaskis rally course here in Alberta the past 5 yrs regularly, it is hard packed with a layer of packed gravel (loose surface) tarmac areas are pretty rough and not too well kept.

A good offroad suspension setup, with hydrolic speed bumps at high speeds will soak up alot the of major bumps and float across rough surfaces but there is still tons of vibrations and feedback coming through the wheel as the tire skips across the surface, ruts will pull your wheel when entering or exiting the grove from my experience.

Comparing to other Rally type games, Imo...spungy tire aside, iracing does a pretty good job with dirt and RallyX content as you can really feel the tire skipping, sliding squirming as it fights for grip on dirt aswell as good suspension feel as you to balance the vehicle on the edge.

Anyways, looking forward to next week's ffb update and hopefully they will be able to improve the tire to ground feel :)
This is what I was trying to say in my earlier post. iRacing's FFB feels pretty good. There's no way a reasonable person can then say that the FFB in DR 2.0 (which is totally vague, with no sense of pulling or kickback for instance) is also pretty good. They can't both be right, because they're diametrically opposed interpretations of the exact same thing.

Anyone who has actually driven off-road would immediately feel "at home" when driving on dirt in iRacing. But DR 2.0? I have no idea what's going on with my wheel, even though I grew up driving on gravel and dirt.

Anyone who has actually driven off-road would immediately feel "at home" when driving on dirt in iRacing. But DR 2.0? I have no idea what's going on with my wheel, even though I grew up driving on gravel and dirt.

I must disagree. I ran a Class 2 1835 CC sandrail offroad for many years in all sorts of conditions. In that car, I could literally slide for miles as sideways as I wanted. If I threw the car too far out, I would simply countersteer and let up on the throttle momentarily to recover. That was a car that I never "spun out" because no matter how sideways it got, it was almost always under control. I have also been known to do a little SCCA here and there so I understand road physics as well...

In any event, I did try IRacing offroad about a year ago and I was disappointed because I found the offroad iRacing tire models grip similarly to the onroad iRacing tire models meaning they grip right up to the edge and then there is so little remaining grip that recovery could be questionable at best. Note: I will admit that iRacing did a good job at allowing me to feel the texture in the track right up to the edge which it also does reasonably well on road. But, I want the texture to continue once I have gone too wide. Moreover, when IRacing allows for reliable post edge recovery (assuming no parts have broken), then and only then will it finally have accomplished the goal of what I consider realistic ffb.

In the meantime, I find Dirt 2 considerably more realistic with an Accuforce Pro V2 (for steering) and the Next Level Motion Platform (for suspension) at least as far as sand, mud, dirt, snow and ice are concerned. I am thus one of those who awaits the updated ffb with some trepidation. I look forward to a bit of front suspension bumps being felt through the wheel but otherwise I think they pretty much nailed it on the first attempt.

• Deleted member 197115

In the meantime, I find Dirt 2 considerably more realistic with an Accuforce Pro V2 (for steering) and the Next Level Motion Platform (for suspension)
Hopefully they can translate that telemetry data that feeds these two into proper force feedback for other wheels.

Since the last update my game keeps throwing me back to desktop. I don't like the fact that you pay hard cash for a special edition game, giving you access to some more goodies, but then all of a sudden not being able to play the game anymore... so Codemasters needs to solve this problem really quick or they will get one very disappointed client...

Well, tested also and it's improvement, I would say.

You can get the old FFB by putting Suspension slider to 0. Default is now 100.

Should install DR1 again to do better comparisons, it's been a while

Btw, here's a PDF by Codemasters, to explain the (new) settings: http://blog.codemasters.com/wp-cont...t-Device-System-for-DiRT-Rally-2-0-Master.pdf

Didn't really feel I needed that, but maybe useful for someone

Last edited:
DiRT Rally 2.0 - v1.4.1 - FFB Update
16 DE MAI ÀS 7:01 - CHRISTINA.MCGRATH
Force Feedback changes:

The latest update to arrive to DiRT Rally 2.0 this morning - update 1.4.1 - is primarily focused upon updating the Force Feedback for steering wheels. After looking into comments about the feel from all parts of our community, we’ve changed the way the ‘Suspension’ setting works to try and exhibit the behaviours that you've been requesting. For this update the slider has been set at a default level of 100 for all devices, but this can be changed to suit your preferences.

If you prefer the way things felt previously, then simply head to the Input section of the Options & Extras menu, select your device and then adjust the ‘Suspension’ slider in the Vibration & Feedback tab to 0.

We want to give a huge thanks to the entire community for their feedback and patience while we've looked into implementing these changes - especially to those of you who've taken the time to come back to us with incredibly useful, nuanced feedback about your FFB experiences. It's worth mentioning that while this is the first big update to the FFB, it's definitely a work in progress and we plan to refine the feeling further. Please - let us know what you think.

Did 15 shakedowns with the updated ffb.....gonna need some more time to dial in my ffb settings.

First impressions of the improved suspension, using default settings, the new vibration is a nice welcome to help eliminate the dull floatiness, tho I don't find much of a suspension difference other than the new rattle. I started at suspension 100 and after 3 runs I've dropped it to 50 as it gets pretty annoying and kills the little feedback the tires are giving, it really just feels like a canned effect that disappears the second you touch tarmac.

Gonna play with the other settings and try to dial in the tires, as the feedback is just heavy like driving in the sand with aired down tires a bunch of rattling.

An improvement none the less but it is gonna need some tweaking still to dial things in.
As the above post says its a wip, hopefully, they will look into tweaking and improving the tire model in a future ffb update.
It also would have been nice if Codemasters had of updated the descriptions for each setting in the ffb menu to go along with the ffb update.

Off topic....I keep seeing in the release notes for each DLC credit drops, what is this?
I own the deluxe version and received some credits when I first bought the game but have not received any credits with the new dlcs to date?

Edit:
Not sure if it's a bug or not, but I noticed if you set up an event and do all 10 shake downs the game won't allow you to repair your vehicle before starting the stage?

WARNING! maybe just my system, but don't alt + tab out of the game. My wheel turned full lock at full force until I unplugged it.

Current wheel WIP setting
Thrustmaster TX Sparco Rally rim
TMP:
900 degrees 100% all settings
Ingame:
Self-aligning torque 95
Wheel friction 50
Tire friction 50
Suspension 55
Collision 100
Soft lock 100
Steering center force 100

a decent starting point, my main issue is still lack of tire detail and way too springy during slides

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea