DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0 Update 1.4 Released - FFB Update Next Week

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2 Update.jpg

Codemasters have released a new DiRT 2.0 update to the game - alongside confirming a new Force Feedback fix is on the way next week...

The new update, deployed to the title yesterday, comes at an important time for DiRT 2.0 with many players starting to become frustrated with a game that is seemingly failing to live up to its initial potential in the eyes of the community.

Having released across both PC and console just a few short months ago, Codemasters have remained active within the community and do seem to be responding to the feedback of the players, whilst at the same time releasing a robust if slightly controversial program of post launch DLC.

Although this update offers a number of useful tweaks and fixes, it is perhaps the final sentence of the below change log that will interest players the most... the long awaited force feedback update is set to be deployed to the game next week - hopefully addressing some of the issues that appear to be at the forefront of community members experiences to date.

DiRT 2.0 V1.4 Update Notes:
  • Online Custom events can now be set up as human only
  • Plain black and white liveries added for most vehicles
  • UI indication added for when ghost cars are stopped due to time penalty
  • Leaderboards will now support going to the top from all positions
  • AI will no longer select unreleased vehicles
  • Speedcar Xtrem wheels will not disappear
  • Improvement to Silverstone joker lap detection
  • Costa Rican added as a nationality
  • Tyre warnings are improved when in the service area
  • Reset line improvements on Mettet
  • Delta Daily will now award correct credits
  • Improvements to Opel Manta 400 engine audio
  • Turning off Personal Best ghosts will keep them off for the remainder of the session
  • Visual improvements to some vehicles
  • Proximity warnings will not be shown on retired vehicles
  • Resuming championships will not damage previously undamaged components
  • Stability improvements throughout title
Please note that a further update will follow in the next week, which will focus solely upon FFB – so if you’re wondering where that is, it’s just around the next corner!

DiRT Rally 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC now.

For news, discussion, mods and more head over to the DiRT Rally 2.0 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

It is true that most titles are designed to work with the Direct-Input effects at 100% (Damping, Friction, Spring, Sine, etc.). In some titles, it makes little difference but, the Dirt series FFB does rely on these effects.
On tarmac i needed higher suspension-effects to get more road-feel and some engine-vibes missing and greyed out for whatever reason. Are there wheels with these option available? I know people who love engine-vibes with their FFB.
SimCommander is the only wheel-side software that I'm aware of that can produce Engine Vibes. RaceRoom offers it in FFB settings but, it's a more rudimentary method as it does not work in a smooth progression, but in steps. Perhaps, Fanatec's new software will offer it for the Podium series.

SimX did say that the telemetry available for DR2 is currently incomplete due to some issues.

Now I might sound odd talking about FFB, but I played the game back in version 1.0/1.1 on a controller, since to this day I do not own a wheel. I don't know, maybe I played too much rF2, but the FFB on a controller felt... Weird. Even F1 2017/2018 does better with FFB, I think.
My problems with FFB were:
  • Lack of On-Tarmac FFB (even though there isn't much Asphalt in the game, even DR 1.0 had some On-Tarmac FFB effects, so this felt like a major oversight to me - like floating through asphalt)
  • Quite weak FFB overall (even cranked to max) (could be just me used to rF2 FFB levels, which are high, but very detailed)
  • Slight lack of FFB information (you can feel the car sliding around, but it's hard to feel the tyre grip)
  • And just overall, people expected FFB to feel at least on the same levels as DR 1.0 were (but mostly improved on that) - by now it's kinda obvious they aren't. Though I'm not saying DR 1.0 had perfect FFB, but it was quite good and informative.
I guess I'll have to check out the game again after the FFB patch next week.

I remember when Stefano Casillo said that the FFB code for Assetto Corsa was only one short line.
Turned out pretty good :roflmao:

DR2 motion effects are much improved over DR1 using the D-box system and SimX has said the amount of telemetry data has been expanded too although, there remains an issue for them to access all of it. They need CM to address some issues with how the telemetry is transferred.

I think DR2 has very good potential but, the nagging micro-stutter keeps me from diving deeper into the game at the moment.

Do you know if Dirt Rally 2 works fine with Simvibe (for my shakers) and with SimHub (for my dash monitor)?
I could not get Simvibe & dashmeter pro dash to work until I did the following:

Got it working eventually as the problem is that simvibe overwrites 20777 to 10001. Had download cm proxy server from here:

http://www.eksimracing.com/cmps/
Not expert on this but put this in my Dirt Rally hardware settings config file
<motion_platform>
<dbox enabled="true" />
<udp enabled="true" ip="127.0.0.1" port="10001" ExtraData="3" Delay="1" />

In the CM Proxy have this entered:
Main Proxy UDP port 10001
Host IP Address 127.0.0.1
Device UDP ports & API version
Port 20777 API 3 Remote IP 127.0.0.1

So simvibe uses 10001 and dashmeter pro uses 20777 (suppose replace with what simdash port is used)

Had to configure cm proxy then shut it down launch my dashmeter pro then run cm proxy for it to work. Hope this helps as I went around in circles until got it sorted.

I could not get Simvibe & dashmeter pro dash to work until I did the following:

Got it working eventually as the problem is that simvibe overwrites 20777 to 10001. Had download cm proxy server from here:

http://www.eksimracing.com/cmps/
Not expert on this but put this in my Dirt Rally hardware settings config file
<motion_platform>
<dbox enabled="true" />
<udp enabled="true" ip="127.0.0.1" port="10001" ExtraData="3" Delay="1" />

In the CM Proxy have this entered:
Main Proxy UDP port 10001
Host IP Address 127.0.0.1
Device UDP ports & API version
Port 20777 API 3 Remote IP 127.0.0.1

So simvibe uses 10001 and dashmeter pro uses 20777 (suppose replace with what simdash port is used)

Had to configure cm proxy then shut it down launch my dashmeter pro then run cm proxy for it to work. Hope this helps as I went around in circles until got it sorted.
With Dirt4, CM added support for multiple UDP ports and that still applies with DR2 however, there are some known issues with how the ExtraData configurations work. I do have multiple devices accessing DR2 telemetry without using a proxy server, including SC4/SimVibe/SimDash, etc.

yesterday I received a 1.8gb download featuring the new ffb update, this morning I got a 4.6gb update....any ideas of what was updated?

Edit update 1.4.1 notes from steam which is the same statement released for yesterdays ffb update, not really sure what has changed today?

Force Feedback changes:

The latest update to arrive to DiRT Rally 2.0 this morning - update 1.4.1 - is primarily focused upon updating the Force Feedback for steering wheels. After looking into comments about the feel from all parts of our community, we’ve changed the way the ‘Suspension’ setting works to try and exhibit the behaviours that you've been requesting. For this update the slider has been set at a default level of 100 for all devices, but this can be changed to suit your preferences.

If you prefer the way things felt previously, then simply head to the Input section of the Options & Extras menu, select your device and then adjust the ‘Suspension’ slider in the Vibration & Feedback tab to 0.

We want to give a huge thanks to the entire community for their feedback and patience while we've looked into implementing these changes - especially to those of you who've taken the time to come back to us with incredibly useful, nuanced feedback about your FFB experiences. It's worth mentioning that while this is the first big update to the FFB, it's definitely a work in progress and we plan to refine the feeling further. Please - let us know what you think.

At least there's basically no reason to buy the Season Pass/es since most owners of DR2 already have DR1 aka Season Pass pack.

Disagree all you want. Wales is yet another rehash and the hope now of at least having a couple of new rallies delivered via DLC in addition to the recycled ones is completely shot. For once, most of us would have been happy to lay down some cash for additional content not in the base game and CM still can't find enough reason to actually make new content.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.