Decision Help new Monitor

"Usually with a monitor like this you'll deactivate g-sync anyway to get a bit better latency".
Bull. ****.
Your latency can't get lower than the time between one frame and the next frame.

You can only get a better latency with gsync vs no sync, if your system can run at higher fps than the monitor's gsync-range.
But it's unlikely that you're going to have more than 240 fps in any game. Or if you're THAT competitive, then I'd say it's still better to run gsync since the input lag won't become noticeably better going from 237 fps gsync to 300 fps no-sync!

Anyway, he has good points for some situations but for the average simracer, fluidity is absolutely important to constantly be able to judge speeds, braking points etc.

gsync gives you very low input lag, no tearing and fluid image.

Also for simracing it's important to be able to see reference points on the track and not be disturbed by flickering or pixel crawling. So high resolution is important too!
1440p is the sweetspot imo. At 4k you're losing too many fps.

I stick to NVIDIA for sure. I am an NVIDIA fanboy :rolleyes:
Problem is i have to wait till Christmas due my wife’s order :(

But nevermind perhaps someone else is looking for a new display right now :thumbsup:
And the Acer is interesting with this offer.

Hello yall. I just posted a thread about what single monitor to get for my P1-X (can't use triples). I have started looking at ONLY 21:9 monitors at least 34 inches, and i keep coming back to the AOC 34 inch CU34G2X monitor (note that i do use a RTX2080 Super, so need G-Sync)

https://www.displayninja.com/aoc-cu34g2x-review/

Will that one be a good one for sim racing? It is not quite as fast in tests as the LG monitors for example, but my budget is about $500, and i can get a AOC 34 inch CU34G2X monitor for $440.

Thoughts?

Any other monitors i should be focused on that are ultrawide 21:9 34+ inch around the $500ish price range that would be better as a dedicated to only sim racing monitor?

Thanks
Randy
:)

Hello yall. I just posted a thread about what single monitor to get for my P1-X (can't use triples). I have started looking at ONLY 21:9 monitors at least 34 inches, and i keep coming back to the AOC 34 inch CU34G2X monitor (note that i do use a RTX2080 Super, so need G-Sync)

https://www.displayninja.com/aoc-cu34g2x-review/

Will that one be a good one for sim racing? It is not quite as fast in tests as the LG monitors for example, but my budget is about $500, and i can get a AOC 34 inch CU34G2X monitor for $440.

Thoughts?

Any other monitors i should be focused on that are ultrawide 21:9 34+ inch around the $500ish price range that would be better as a dedicated to only sim racing monitor?

Thanks
Randy
"flickering in freesync mode" would scare me off..
I ordered the HP omen uwqhd gsync and also an AOC uwqhd gsync monitor.
Both VA panels and both had flickering.

I thought gsync would be broken or dp 1.2 not enough for that resolution.
Sent both back and ordered the Asus 2560x1440 gsync monitor with ips panel and 165 hz.
Tested it for a few days and it was just awesome!

Sent that one back as I really just needed it for testing (there was no store in my whole city or nearby (Hamburg, Germany) that would have any ability for demoing gsync...

After the Asus was stunningly perfect, I ordered the Alienware 3440x1440 and I am happy since almost 2 years :)

Thanks, will steer clear of VA monitors then, want it to be very smooth. With that in mind, this monitor is IPS and is the top ultrawide in Rtings.com's list...It is flat, not curved, but i like flat (although that may not work really well in a ultrawide, hmmm), and it is IPS and only $450 at Microcenter near me. The reviews say it works great with G-sync. What do yall think?

Randy

Thanks, will steer clear of VA monitors then, want it to be very smooth. With that in mind, this monitor is IPS and is the top ultrawide in Rtings.com's list...It is flat, not curved, but i like flat (although that may not work really well in a ultrawide, hmmm), and it is IPS and only $450 at Microcenter near me. The reviews say it works great with G-sync. What do yall think?

Randy
Have to say this looks very very nice for that price! Sadly wasn't available yet when I bought my Alienware...
I still would prefer a flat monitor over my curved one. It works pretty well but I still feel a bit weird after a longer session on it.
But with ips glow from most of these monitors, a flat screen would be really annoying due to the sharper angle towards the glowing edges.

However that Acer doesn't seem to have much glow, so I'd say buy it!

• Deleted member 197115

Samsung QLED monitors are VA, so I wouldn't discard VA technology completely. Some panels are very good.

Samsung QLED monitors are VA, so I wouldn't discard VA technology completely. Some panels are very good.
Oh, didn't really noticed his words about this...

Yeah, some Samsung's seem to work very well! Although you find quite a lot of posts about the Samsung's having some flickering issues in gsync compatible mode.

I don't think that it's a VA panel issue.. It's probably an issue with the rest inside of the monitor...
Sadly I don't know which big manufacturer built the hp omen and aoc gsync monitors I saw in real life.

Sooo after a long long journey i finally got my new Monitor. Suprisingly i changed my favorites a couple of times and at the end went for a budget solution.

Its the Xiaomi MI 34" 144hz 3440x1440 curved Monitor with freesync premium on a Samsung panel (450€).
I am using it with my RTX 2070S

What can i say? After 3 days I am completly satisfied with that choice.

I was aware of the "brightness flickering" problem which often comes with these Samsung VA Panels.

I fixed these issue with setting the Hz Range up to 75-144hz with the CRU Utility. Additionaly i ordered a Vesa Certified 8k DP 1,4 Cable and enables VRR in Windows options.
Another thing was to cap the fps within stable fps range each Game

The result is ---> no flickering in running games or game menus.
Flickering occurs only in some loading screens. Which is no problem at all for me.

After some tuning in the OSD options i am satisfied with the colors too.
Maybe i am just lucky but i have zero dead pixels and very litte backlight bleeding.

The change from a 27´60hz Monitor is a huuuuge step forward.
I tested all my racing, sim games and some other games like strategy or Tripple-A RPGs
Thanks to freesync everythig is smooth no matter if even drops shows 45 fps.... sensational !
Everything is of course bigger and sharper...

A big suprise for me is - the system even performs not worse than before while using WHQD through DRS on a full-HD panel.

Well on the negative side --> the field of view is really not good in comparsation with fE IPS screens. Looking at it from the side makes the colours totaly washed out.
It does not bother me, because i am sitting always in center of it.

The other thing is - while using a medium override the panel is fast enough and do not smear or something. But if you play for example fast paced multiplayer shooter it will be not the first choice. Its not as fast as some 1ms Monitors.

But again @Racing or other casual games - its fast enough without smearing or ghosting.

So my conclusion is - i would invest the money in this screen again and again. Ultrawide is fu***** great and free/gsync the best invention since beer.

Last edited:
Is that a feature than you can enable on the monitor buttons or is it a Windows/GPU feature?

(Nearly) every modern 3440x1440 monitor is able to run the 2560x1440 resolution. Its a resolution option you choose in graphics menu of the game(s).
You just need to disable scaling within the driver software as Rasmus said.

Edit: i dont like it by the way but it’s matter of taste.

Last edited:
Is that a feature than you can enable on the monitor buttons or is it a Windows/GPU feature?
Nvidia_Scaling.JPG

You need to set things like this and that's it. Then you can choose any resolution you want in the game and the monitor will only use these pixels.

As Kevin says it's really a matter of taste whether or not you can stand the black bars.
I would never use it for simracing as it really takes a way peripheral vision and general immersion. But for Witcher 3 for example, I really like it. Even if my GPU could handle it (my 3070 now could), I don't use the full width as it's just a bit too much input for my eyes/brain to take in.

Here's how things look btw:

BlackBars.jpg
No_BlackBars.jpg

View attachment 427953

You need to set things like this and that's it. Then you can choose any resolution you want in the game and the monitor will only use these pixels.

As Kevin says it's really a matter of taste whether or not you can stand the black bars.
I would never use it for simracing as it really takes a way peripheral vision and general immersion. But for Witcher 3 for example, I really like it. Even if my GPU could handle it (my 3070 now could), I don't use the full width as it's just a bit too much input for my eyes/brain to take in.

Here's how things look btw:

View attachment 427958View attachment 427959

Thanks. :)

One more question, could you turn down the resolution of your wide-screen down to 1920x1080 for Assetto Corsa? Is that technically possible?

Last edited:
Thanks. :)

One more question, could you turn down the resolution of your wide-screen down to 1920x1080 for Assetto Corsa? Is that technically possible?
What do you mean exactly? Yes, I can set the resolution to 1920x1080 but then You will have big black bars at the top and at the bottom of the monitor too as only these pixels will be used.
I have 1440 pixels vertically, so 360 pixels would stay black.

If you mean that you could stretch the 1920x1080 pixels into fullscreen: that's a bad idea, everything will look extremely blurry!

What do you mean exactly? Yes, I can set the resolution to 1920x1080 but then You will have big black bars at the top and at the bottom of the monitor too as only these pixels will be used.
I have 1440 pixels vertically, so 360 pixels would stay black.

If you mean that you could stretch the 1920x1080 pixels into fullscreen: that's a bad idea, everything will look extremely blurry!

I mean the first thing, 1920x1080 with big black bars. Will Assetto Corsa accept that?

I mean the first thing, 1920x1080 with big black bars. Will Assetto Corsa accept that?
Yes. There's nothing that any game wouldn't accept!
Most games show you all resolutions that are also available in windows/nvidia control panel.
So as long as you don't want to run something like 1789x938, all games will accept all standard resolution!

Some games would also accept such a crazy resolution, if you first set it up via the custom resolution tool in the nvidia panel...

1920x1080 is the most standard though, so all games will work with it!
You'll just have a pretty small image then :p

Yes. There's nothing that any game wouldn't accept!
Most games show you all resolutions that are also available in windows/nvidia control panel.
So as long as you don't want to run something like 1789x938, all games will accept all standard resolution!

Some games would also accept such a crazy resolution, if you first set it up via the custom resolution tool in the nvidia panel...

1920x1080 is the most standard though, so all games will work with it!
You'll just have a pretty small image then :p

Thanks, I was thinking about maybe buying a wide-screen monitor but I only have a old graphics card (MSI Radeon r5770 Hawk) and wondered if I could use the wide-screen for office work and then turn it down to 1920x1080 for Assetto Corsa. Because Assetto is already running at the lowest setting. ;)

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 37 84.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 15 34.1%