Decision Help new Monitor

Hi guys,

i plan to buy a new gaming Monitor. It has to be a gaming- , not simracing Monitor in special. But anyway this is at present the only forum i am active in :D so i ask here.

I will stay at 27" but the new one must have at least 144hz, WHQD Resolution and gsync or 100% gync compatible. And i prefer a fast IPS panel. The budget is not over 550 €.

There are so many Monitors on the market right now.... I have no idea which one to buy. But i have 2 favorites right now:

- Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q (about 515€)
- LG 27GL850 (about 420 € offer)
- maybe ASUS TUF Series ??

Would be nice if you could give me some suggestions. THX :cool:

• Deleted member 197115

Go for LG 27GN850-B , it's newer model, G-Sync compatible instead of noisy NVidia G-Sync module fan.
I think it also has better HDR, HDR600? At least it is on 38" version that I got, so double check you specific model.

yeah thx, but why whould you choose that one? Do you have expierience with this Display?
I don`t want the lowest possible price. I want the best possible Monitor i can get for around 500€ +

Why spend money you don't need to? Meets all your desired specs and comes in $250 under budget. Gives you headroom to upgrade RAM, save for video card, and/or upgrade to triples for $900 all-in.

• Deleted member 197115

Go for LG 27GN850-B , it's newer model, G-Sync compatible instead of noisy NVidia G-Sync module fan.
I think it also has better HDR, HDR600? At least it is on 38" version that I got, so double check you specific model.
Guess I posted the wrong model, gosh the numbers are so confusing.
This is the right one with HDR600 27GN950-B

Last edited by a moderator:
While I totally agree about getting a gsync compatible monitor, the new gsync module is only put into 4k monitors, not 1440p. At least I didn't see one yet since it's more expensive for the manufacturer.
The 3440x1440 at 120 hz monitors are the limit of the old gsync module. 144 Hz at this resolution isn't possible due to the dp 1.2 standard.

What monitor is your 38"? Does it have a higher resolution?
It's a sad story for Nvidia that the freesync 2 monitors are simply better in everything, lol

• Deleted member 197115

While I totally agree about getting a gsync compatible monitor, the new gsync module is only put into 4k monitors, not 1440p. At least I didn't see one yet since it's more expensive for the manufacturer.
The 3440x1440 at 120 hz monitors are the limit of the old gsync module. 144 Hz at this resolution isn't possible due to the dp 1.2 standard.

What monitor is your 38"? Does it have a higher resolution?
It's a sad story for Nvidia that the freesync 2 monitors are simply better in everything, lol
This one, G-Sync compatible
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38gn950-b-gaming-monitor

And this is older model with NVidia GSync, HDR400, and reddit full of noisy GSync fan complaints .

Last edited by a moderator:
This one, G-Sync compatible
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38gn950-b-gaming-monitor

And this is older model with NVidia GSync, HDR400, and reddit full of noisy GSync fan complaints .
Oh yeah, awesome monitor! I guess it is at least?

3840x1600 at 144 Hz is definitely new gsync module, yep. I'd never buy that...

Thanks for the tips guys. So far i can say - there are plenty good Monitors for a value about 500€ but there is obviously no "THE BEST ONE". Every one has also his weaknesses.

Right now i would go for the LG 27GN850-B but i will wait some more time.

Thanks for the tips guys. So far i can say - there are plenty good Monitors for a value about 500€ but there is obviously no "THE BEST ONE". Every one has also his weaknesses.

Right now i would go for the LG 27GN850-B but i will wait some more time.
I would really recommend to get a 34" ultra wide. With 3440x1440.
The additional viewing area is immense and awesome.
But it comes at a price of course...

If your gpu can't handle it in all games, you simply disable scaling and run 2560x1440 with black bars left and right. I'm doing this for quite a lot of games.
But for racing, the full width is totally awesome!

• Deleted member 197115

Second that, 21:9 works extremely well.
38" is a perfect desktop size for any sort of gaming, you have your FOV completely covered but don't need to turn your head to see the sides like in 49" 32:9. Ideal for shooters.

I would really recommend to get a 34" ultra wide. With 3440x1440.
The additional viewing area is immense and awesome.
But it comes at a price of course...

If your gpu can't handle it in all games, you simply disable scaling and run 2560x1440 with black bars left and right. I'm doing this for quite a lot of games.
But for racing, the full width is totally awesome!
Yeah it sounds not bad. Main time i am simracing but I also play other common Games so i dont know if those black bars would bother me.

Have you a special monitor in mind which I could think about. ,? Thx

Sooo i watched and read some tests about 34" 21:9 monitors and my conclusion is - the only ones which are corresponding with my budget are those ones with 100hz only.

How about that? Is buying a monitor with 100hz today a no-go ? or is worth the extra ultra size ?

Yeah it sounds not bad. Main time i am simracing but I also play other common Games so i dont know if those black bars would bother me.

Have you a special monitor in mind which I could think about. ,? Thx
Sooo i watched and read some tests about 34" 21:9 monitors and my conclusion is - the only ones which are corresponding with my budget are those ones with 100hz only.

How about that? Is buying a monitor with 100hz today a no-go ? or is worth the extra ultra size ?
Sadly I can't list any fitting monitors for you. I could only suggest to invest more. It's so worth it! 100%!

The big difference is that with a "standard" fov like my 49°, you can see through the left side windows, behind the A pole and spot the apex.
With a normal 16:9 the left border would be simply the A pole and you wouldn't see anything of the apex until quite a bit later!
Same for the right side of course. You can see the apex a bit earlier and nail trailbraking it simply the turn in point a lot easier!

Also you see cars better that are left and right of yourself if they are alongside. You can see their noses!

About refresh rate:
Going from 60 to 85 hz is massively smoothing out the mouse in windows. Going to 100 hz makes it super smooth and awesome.

Going to 120 hz... I didn't really feel a difference anymore. Going to 144 hz I could feel that it became a bit better again, going to 165 hz didn't really change anything.

For me 100 hz vs 144 Hz is like the cherry on top.
But 60 to 100 hz is giving you this awesome "high refresh rate mouse feeling" or general smoothness of course.

A very important thing though:
It needs to be a freesync monitor that is gsync compatible!
There are forum excel sheets about gsync compatibility.

I ordered an Asus 165 hz 16:9 monitor first so I could test all this.
165 hz and 90 fps in the game without vsync, gsync or fast sync still gave a non-smooth experience!

Activating gsync though makes everything smooth at more than 75 fps.
60 to 75 fps already gives you a way smoother visual experience. Going up to 100 fps (limit of your potential monitor and my ultra wide) is awesome, but not so important.

Also you need the cpu and gpu to maintain these high fps all the time!

Long story short:
- 21:9 is mega awesome for sim racing!!
- 100 hz with freesync/gsync enabled is totally fine!
- I have the Dell aw31418dw. 100/120 hz ips 1440p. I mostly limit my fps to around 80 fps due to my gtx 1070...

Best money I ever spent on pc stuff!

- black borders: if you don't play in complete darkness, the not-used pixels will be fully black.
I don't care at all about it.
If I shut off all lights, I see some light bleeding on the edges and some green ips bleeding too. Also the black becomes gray then.
But if I keep some dimmed light on, it's no issue at all.

I'll upload some pictures later on!

About kite expensive ips monitors btw:
They have a more reflective coating. The picture clarity it a lot better! With cheaper monitors I always see some rainboy graining on white areas. No matter how sharp everything is, the costing makes it quite ugly and blurry.

The more expensive ips or VA monitors look a lot better in my opinion...

Thank you Rasmus for your effort. So simple said: A 34" 21:9 WHQD gsync compatible Monitor with "only" 100hz would do the job ?
Yes!
Get VA if you want massive contrast but imo a bit too intense on the eyes colors or get an IPS like me if you can live with some backlight bleeding and ips greenish corner bleeding and some rather "gray" black but very very natural colors you can stare at all day long :p

The gsync monitors are very rare and expensive but there are some good freesync monitors out there now that are gsync compatible.

One example of "super duper" monitor would be this one:
LG 34GK950F

Has 10 bit wide gamut colors but also a rgb mode.
Sadly gsync compatible mode wasn't a thing when I bought my Dell...

But there might be cheaper ones!

The main issue might be that lots of office monitors have some kind of freesync support but not really the gaming grade low input lag, gsync compatible stuff...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

Votes: 114 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,069 90.4%
Back