Community Question | What Stops You From Racing Online?

Rammers :mad: laggy players :thumbsdown: and i dont have time to race there where is good racing :cry: No rammers, all knows what everything means etc, follow rules, fair racing, all of that like it should be. In random events i join there just to try to survive and win if i'm not crashed out. But in league or something, i would just enjoy the competition knowing that things are under control and if something happens, it would be taken like it should be, and not like you are rammed out mid corner by dive bombing from the grass back to track and you are called s... head :cautious: etc. just example, and win if i could. But would mostly enjoy good racing, win or lose :coffee:. But just now it is random events unfortunately, and 70% of the time it makes me pissed of, because always something stupid there :O_o:.. Wish there could be some kinda random gentleman servers or something :D ( and yes, many emojis to make things clear... :rolleyes: )

Dont find it fun, I just want drive what I want, where I want, unsure why I would need to do that online...

The rare time I do look online for a race, half the sessions only have 2 people in and are 5 minutes into a practice, before a 30 min qually, just to do a 10 lap race with just 2 or 3 people...

Have much better things to do with my time...

So just stick to AI races and hot lapping, thats what I find fun.

Did does some online leagues with GPL and rFactor quite some time ago, that was more fun but needed to commit to time...

Also did play iRacing when it first came out, luckily I had more disposable income back then, have to admit it was pretty good fun as it just sort of worked, not surprised it still the go to for online racing.

Again though, I just want to amuse myself as and when it suits, so offline 99.9% of the time.

Mainly because I want to play at a time and duration convenient for me and no-one else. I'm a carer so have some time contraints that cannot be deferred to anyone and I often have to pause games and leave them for a while. So I never play online games at all, just too much hassle.
carer, too, but with iRacing offering hourly races which then really only last 45 minutes or so, it works nicely. However, the person cared for has to be in on it and be cooperative, which in my case happily is the case.

carer, too, but with iRacing offering hourly races which then really only last 45 minutes or so, it works nicely. However, the person cared for has to be in on it and be cooperative, which in my case happily is the case.

Iracing a bit too pricey for me, and if phone rings or door get's knocked I have to go. Mp is really not viable. Sometimes Solo narks me off with no mid race saves....

Toxic people who think it's real, some of whom can't even drive in real life. That and I prefer a clubman level of race length. I'd rather have short and frantic.

The AI in Raceroom and Rfactor 2 are good enough for a challenge.

Like many others, I'm slow and don't want to mess anyone else's race up. How about a server dedicated to slower (but careful) drivers so that we can have some competitive fun as well!

I think my reply is specific to me but I hope others feel the same way.

For me, sim-racing, especially on the older titles like rFactor and GTR2 but also more recently with the original Assetto Corsa, is the opportunity to collect and experience as much cars and skins from real-life as possible, so recreating real life races and even getting creative and having cars that never raced together on track is a possibility that suddenly becomes real and is very appealing since you cant have that in real life.

I notice that many online leagues and events try to recreate IRL championships and I think it misses a huge opportunity to have really fun races with fictional tracks and, like I said before, cars that never raced together in reality.

I love doing online races, but the hassle of getting all the necessary mods and tracks, especially when theyre paid is a pain. Thats why I love ACC so much, I think its best selling point is its simplicity which culminates in its refinement. Its great for online racing.

So just to finish, I guess I spend half of my time downloading stuff and admiring cars in the showroom, and the other half practicing and actually racing, so thats why I dont race online so often.

I agree with the post above. I only have experience in AC and ACC but I found ACC to be on a completely other level for multiplayer. Matchmaking, better netcode, instant track loading, no nonsense racing experience, great immersion. ACC brings you on track in just a few clicks and in a few seconds. Run ACC, click multiplayer, click quick join, BAM you're on the track.

Bad internet for me. Surprised more people aren't quoting this.. really makes me feel even more frustrated at being tied to Hughesnet. But I do also have verizon service, have to research more about using 4G for online racing. My few attempts to use my verizon internet have also resulted in being booted for high ping...
I feel your pain. We had Hughesnet for a little while and it was worse than not having internet.

Honest ?

My wife and my 2 kids :D

About 12 years ago i was very active with rFactor online. But to stay competetive i had to drive almost every day 1-2 hours.

So nowdays it`s not possible anymore. But it´s fine i have learned enjoy my AI-Championship racing.
Kids #1, Racing #2, wife #3 :confused:

I hate life sometimes. I've got no time and a real world motorbike that's also barely being ridden. I guess at least I don't die in sim racing!

Nothing at all ! Once you get used to a nice competitive grid with ppl you know, offline racing becomes something you just do occasionally for practice or for having some fun with a huge multiclass grid or sth. But I avoid public servers and fishy looking events at all cost and prefer to race "premium" here at RD or at my favourite league and befriended communities where I know what to expect. And nobody please come with "too old" or "not talented" cause both means you're just too lazy to get your butts up and practice :) (mid fifty here )...there are always naturals/ aliens/ young guns ahead of you...so what ? If you're greedy and wanna become 1st at all cost, well you surely might get frustrated but as long as you just enjoy being a part of it and do what's needed to be competitive all is fine...;)

I hate life sometimes. I've got no time and a real world motorbike that's also barely being ridden. I guess at least I don't die in sim racing!
:confused: lol no reason to hate life, but i know what u mean. Sometimes i wish to have 2 lifes at one time. First one the normal one like now, but the second one - only playing games and watching football while drinking beer :rolleyes:

I have tried occasionally rf2 and automobilista1. Not fast enough and all seems very complicated getting into setups and stuff. Currently trying iracing on a three month offer, but not sure if I am using it enough to make the cost worthwhile. However it is easy to get into an online race where other systems seem complicated. Find discord far too complicated also put off by blokey sexism, racism and unnecessary bad language though I don't think I'm a prude - I am a retired church minister, but that shouldn't be a bar. Just all seems a bit juvenile. Maybe I'm just too old. I have been simracing offline since 1995 and watching Motorsport since I was a child

I used to race online in rFactor 2 long time ago, but I can't now because am busy all the time with people around and phone calls and such, so it's complicated to have free and quite time to be
only focused on racing online without interruptions. Racing offline against the AI is fine too.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.