Community Question | What Stops You From Racing Online?

I'm new to the hobby and feel that I have to get a level of confidence across a range of cars, tracks and games before going head to head with others.

If I put 5 laps together without leaving the track or bumping an AI at the moment then I feel I'm achieving something and am improving.

To me a big part of this hobby is the community. I researched it a lot in conjunction with games, rig, wheel etc. and hope to become an active member of it as I gain experience.

Knowing which game, track and car I should focus on initially as a noob would be great to fast track things.

Let’s be honest: My equipment sucks, and my skills pretty much suck, too. Racing online is fun, if I don’t mind having my ass handed to me. If I get loaded up with a busload of zen attitude and just drive for the joy of it, I’m good. The minute my competitive instincts kick in, I have to go offline.

The so called "golden rule" says that if you hit someone not deliberately because lack of spatial awarenes/too aggressive driving you need to wait that person rejoining the track.
This is what makes a big difference between a public server and a free-open to all organized community event.
have fun :)

Last edited:
The day I give up online racing it's because I'm hindered.

Sorry about all of you but those excuses to be out doesn't make any sense to me.

My motivation while racing (or practicing) is to overcome my own marks and it never comes from where I'm on the leaderboard.

An athlete, a musician, a racer (amongst others) only evolve when pushed to the limits and that's the reason I'm an online simracer. Half an hour practicing or racing online will give you much more learning than a full year against bots (AI).

Nothing.
The question for me is "what stops you from racing offline?!". Answer: I get bored. I cannot imagine that I am racing a robot, a AI, a program and set of code... I cannot race without the human factor, as much as it can be frustrating, for me or for them :rolleyes:

Because I live in a rural location, the lack of a low-latency connection keeps me from online racing...
and west coast USA is a rotten time zone for evening online races.
I understand very well.
I'm part time living at rural zone and own only one rig... so I'm available to race roughly one week each month when I go to the city 160km (100miles) away where internet is ok.
And this keeps me racing online!
Oh and I live UTC -3 (You're UTC -7, ok?)

I retired a few years ago, and finally had time to spend in iRacing.
I did a few seasons in higher-license races, and for the most part enjoyed clean racing.

I'm not fast, but thought I'd have fun just being a backmarker or field-filler. After all, somebody has to do it. I mapped my buttons with "pass on the left" and "pass on the right". I even didn't mind if I got lapped. They loved me!

Trouble was, after the first few laps, I was basically lapping by myself.
In a 45 minute race, this gets boring.

I found that even when racing for position, I would always yield rather than contribute to an accident. I never protected my position or blocked. They loved me!!

After awhile, I realized I wasn't even racing!

I will say that I did enjoy some of the lower-license races. Especially Indy Cars at Charlotte. But that is where the T1 (and earlier) accidents increased in proportion to to the cursing and blaming. I figured it was about a 1 in 5 chance that a race got off cleanly.

Another thing I found was that I enjoyed "ghost racing". It's a good way to judge your pace without influencing other drivers. If you fall behind, you can just park and wait for the pack to come around again ... and you don't affect a thing!

One other thing that I found bothersome: People not qualifying. In my opinion, this contributes to T1 accidents. Better drivers are at the back of the grid, trying to get to the front, and complaining about the "bad" drivers at the front!

Now, I'm enjoying the iRacing AI. It's as good as the higher splits, and you can adjust their speed and other parameters. I also enjoy and have enjoyed AI races in just about every other sim beginning in 1996 (so not to be taken as an iRacing fanboy).

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with a golfing tournament format called Scramble or Best Ball. Essentially you have a foursome made up of an A, B, C and D golfer. You are rated based on how you normally play or your handicap.
In racing this would be platinum to bronze. It's very inclusive, there are less shots used by the D golfer than the others and the C a few more than D and so on. The point is that there is very little pressure to perform and certainly not at the higher levels. I know SRO GT does that sort of rating but I would love to take part in an endurance race or series of sprint races as presumably the bronze member of a 4 person team made up of the 4 levels
Something along those lines would get me more involved in on-line...just a thought.

Sim racing is arguably at its very best when racing against real people in a tightly fought online battle - yet only a very small percentage of players choose to head into a server and race against their fellow community drivers.

Made up fact time. Around 90% of those who own racing simulations don't venture into an online server on a regular basis (real % figure differs slightly, but not by much). This surprises me, as many different servers exist that cater for a wide variety of skill and experience levels. From public lobby hopping to leagues and club events of various levels of prestige, sim racers can pretty much find a level of quality that suits their individual need - yet still only an incredibly small percentage of the player base choose to race online.

With that said, if you aren't a regular online racer, we'd like to know what it is that keeps you away from joining us on the virtual racetracks?

Let us know in the comments section below!

image credit: James Magill

View attachment 384158
Internet too slow here in the wilderness

Undoubtely, racing against real people generates the most heat, and unforgettable emotions, and sometimes I do enjoy that, especially in Raceroom due to real life based skins (mostly). That said, there are some things that keep bringing me offline.

Most of all, I enjoy immersion. Which means I enjoy events with full rules, damage, weather, safety car (yes, broken, but still), series accurate start procedure, series size grid, on tracks that actual series take place and real world event skins. I can also use realistic method of shifting, without worrying that it makes me much slower. Sometime I want to race certain unpopular content, or have bigger grid, or certan progression settings.

Offline racing is more relaxed, less time commitment and less drama. AI is predictable, it won't do anything completely irrational, won't "escape to pits" in front of you, won't disconnect when things don't go its way - all killing immersion.

Last edited:
For me, my time is limited. When I venture into the servers on R3E I don't see much of anything happening, this goes for open servers and even the ranked servers. If I were to stay up late, I'd probably see more people in the European servers, but I don't have the time or a job that I can do while half tired, so that is something I just cannot do. Trust me. I am looking to race against people, but logging on at 6-9:30 PM Eastern Standard US, yields nothing but empty public servers.

Short attention span, and I am slow :confused::rolleyes::redface::roflmao:...30 mins races for me personally are to long as I usually race Single Player with usually 3 - 5 lap maximum on any Track, then switch car and Track combo and start again :roflmao:...quick fire, maximum throughput and highly entertaining for a short burst of Sim Racing :inlove::thumbsup::thumbsup:...it's just the way I have done it over the years
Although I do frequent Online in Wreckfest for the above reasons....short laps and different Tracks changed quickly.
I agree. Track rotation and sprint races. I know it’s like console racing (forza) , but it would be huge for me. Don’t have a ton of time to jump in and when I do. I’d like to get a couple races. Not get punted first lap of a 15 min race. And then if I do finish the race. Just to immediately restart practice at the same place? ACC or AC need track rotation sooooooo bad on the servers.

I don't online race because many people seem to be believing that Ron Dennis is watching them... they take it way too seriously. Some of the rules are more strict than those in real racing. I mean, it's crazy and it's just not fun :)
If it was for money, take it srsly, but in 99% it's just a sad state...

Very time-consuming just to get on track into an actual race.... then some idiot wreaks you in the first turn.

Undoubtely, racing against real people generates the most heat, and unforgettable emotions, and sometimes I do enjoy that, especially in Raceroom due to real life based skins (mostly). That said, there are some things that keep bringing me offline.

Most of all, I enjoy immersion. Which means I enjoy events with full rules, damage, weather, safety car (yes, broken, but still), series accurate start procedure, series size grid, on tracks that actual series take place and real world event skins. I can also use realistic method of shifting, without worrying that it makes me much slower. Sometime I want to race certain unpopular content, or have bigger grid, or certan progression settings.

Offline racing is more relaxed, less time commitment and less drama. AI is predictable, it won't do anything completely irrational, won't "escape to pits" in front of you, won't disconnect when things don't go its way - all killing immersion.

Well as I stated earlier in this thread my reason for driving offline (besides I'm now a family man and the online time slots for ACC CP racing don't suits me most of the time) is that I have still plenty of fun for the next couple of decades offline racing in rF1 and especially GTR2 with mods of very high standard and editing AI performance files (quite easy with the easy file structure), both games have parameter 'aggression' and in files you are able to set 'strength' above the standard 120% limit for track AIW's which otherwise not seems perfect.

On that account I've had 12 years of fun with offline racing, setting up my own series with own blend of car mods and tracks. E.g. more 24 hours events, where I can just press 'save' to take care of my children, wife, house, cycling team, guitar play, etc, and continue later. And then some free times with 3 hours close racing. And even in my 24 hours events the dying last hour I've discovered racing to the bone with AI's.

OK, modified in performance by myself, since I admit that most standard AI/AIW's are not perfect and especially not when just tacking the stock package of GTR2 and rF1. But the stock package I never driver (Except for the GTR2 HQ Anniversary mod once in a while).

That said - tuesday late evening this week, I actually participated in an ACC CP online event at Le Castellet/Paul Richard. It was one hour of close wheel-to-wheel battling with fine competitors - except one who bumped me intentional at the Mistral Straight, and in same instance following at Curbe de Signes I left a lot of room for the driver by turning out of the ideal line and lowered the speed almost to 50% of ideal speed, but the driver lowered the speed just as much and then bumped me hard from the side , so I spun hard. Very intentional crash that came out of nowhere from the opponent - haven't teased him earlier in the race so didn't knew why he let his frustrations go beyond me, but well...a mental thing, I think.

This kind of strange agressive behaviour is actually (almost) possible to immitate with very aggressive AI's. And indeed in 24 hours events of 3-4 classes with great differences in speed.
You can make AI's look very much alive and impredictable in GTR2 and rF1 indeed, just mingling a bit with the files.

The online event reminded me of another reason why I don't do online races that often. The ACC CP event was just 1 hour. I could not control whether to do it as a 3 hour online event. And couldn't pick different cars for different classes. Due to the competition format it is quite fixed.

I have so much more fun in offline racing since it leaves with tons of degrees of freedom - and the fact that I decide myself when to race and when to take care of my family.

Last edited:
I'm Visually Impaired. Completely blind in my right eye and partially blind (about 20/200 vision) on my left. I've been sim racing for a little over a year now, but I still don't think I'm ready yet. I don't want to responsible for spinning someone out or ruining a race because of my limited vision.

I still love sim racing though. It's always been a dream of mine to be able to drive both on the road and the track. but my disabilities kept that from becoming a reality. With Sim Racing, I'm able experience how it feels to drive and race! I won't be doing online races anytime soon. I'd rather just go at my own pace :)!

• Time of the day. Usually at night, here in Italy.
  • I don't have so much time during the day.
  • Freedom. The only way to have joy online are the organised events. And I don't want a time schedule for driving.
  • I want an immersive experience. When playing online, even in organised events, people hit ESC, park the car offside before hit ESC and so on. All things that ruin the magic.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back