Community Question | What Stops You From Racing Online?

Good. Way too often, real racers are not exactly inspiring with their on-track behavior.

That's because they see it as FUN! It's not like you're preparing weeks with your team for the event. They like to try, to learn, do crazy stuff... Like Pageneud ;) For them it's fun, for many sim racers it's like a war or smth... they take it too seriously and this is the reason why few people do online races.
If you make a mistake, try smth crazy, there's always that someone who behaves like Senna and takes all the fun away...

Still, the irony. So many people in this thread are avoiding online because they are not good enough and would ruin people's races. Meanwhile plenty of those racing daily never even start to consider if they are good enough and couldn't care less if they ruin someone's race.

Damn you, Dunning and Kruger.

As an Aussie it's all about timezones, yeah sure there is the Aussie club here at RD but I don't race rF2 or AMS, so because I only race AC or ACC I need to look at USA or EU events which means very early AM for US races or 3am starts for EU races. I tried both over the years but Ive given up on Sim-racing after 20yrs.

This genre is too fickle, and needs someone who will do whats needed. I was calling for Rookie leagues in 2006 with NetKarPro, because one thing that is a constant in this thread (and has been for 2 decades) is the lack of confidence by new sim-racers to race online. RD had it right a few years ago when a staff member started the Driving Academy which was a great place to get a start, but a lack of serious promotion saw it die out, plus internal conflicts added to the problem. Not sure if the Academy is still a going concern here as I don't come here often these days, but it's an area of sim-racing that's been disregarded for way too long.

There's always been the attitude that "all you need to do is join in and you'll get better", sure, this may be the case in 20% of cases, but the other 80% will have a bad experience and never return to an online event. But if staff and racing clubs actually listened to what the new guys have been saying for years now, they would make a concerted effort to cater for rookies and 1st time racers in an attempt to build the online numbers.

I admit it's not always easy to organise events, but Ive done it in AC and it's not as hard as some would have you believe. The hardest thing is picking cars and tracks that aren't raced to death due to popularity, and this then brings up the issues of, some don't like a particular car or track so they don't enter. Which is why the Genre is so fickle and hard to please.

To sit in judgement about low online numbers when your not doing anything to overcome the problem, is just typical. When sim racing clubs actually start to take the new racer & rookies seriously and create programs/events to cater for their lack of skill, real or perceived, then things will move forward in regards to online numbers increasing, with larger grids being the norm not the exception.

This is just my opinion, but one I have experienced 1st hand. But after 20+ years sim racing, Ive seen this issue remain the same within the genre, no one caters for rookies and/or 1st time racers, which just plain sucks.

605/5000

I play less and less online, because there are too many idiots who, after qualifying, try to do your race, together with other correct simdrivers, but more and more idiots hit you, get in the middle of curves, the wrong way, etc. seems to go back to the end of rfactor, where these kids enjoyed this.
Now I see many servers that with points, money etc. try to keep the level high, and often they succeed, we hope in the near future to ban completely for life, with id_steam it would be a dream. You may change your name but not that. It could be done?
sorry my english translated online
P.S. rbr is being reborn with fmod cheers

I used to be a member of a couple of online leagues - rF1 and then AMS. The guys who ran those were wonderfully helpful and I used to really enjoy the club nights. However, on race night, the quick guys came in and I found it too intimidating. It got to the stage that I would put in lots of practice for a race then check the servers for other's times. If I was 3 seconds per minute behind the fastest I wouldn't bother with the race. Lots of others must have felt the same because we had lots of joiners and then they didn't race (I know some joined just to get tracks and mods).

After a while real life got in the way and all that was in the past. However, I recently got a new computer and bought rFactor 2 and AMS and am really enjoying learning again.

Reading this thread makes me think that there are lots of guys who, like me, are not 'rookies' but are possibly older and will always feel they are too slow to compete in the clubs currently available.

I would be interested in something like the following -
  1. Obviously a club to suit my speed and ability
  2. Very strict admins
  3. Server open all week for practice and member meetups and maybe a club night
  4. Fixed or very limited setups - I have no interest in this
  5. Several 'short' races on race night. Not sure what's best here. Maybe 2, 3 or 4 one hour sessions. Each session consisting of practice, qualifying and race. Members can do as many or as few as they like. - No championship
These are just a few ideas and there will always be pros and cons but, if I found an AMS or rF2 league like that, I would be in tomorrow.

Davy

I do race online but I seem to go through phases. There are a couple of things that tend to make those phases come to an end:

* Frequency: I like to practice a track to learn it, tweak the setup and work out how much fuel is needed (I've tended to timed races rather than a set number of laps). I've done a couple of leagues that have one race a week and it becomes too consuming when all my practice time is included.

* Track limits: we wall make mistakes with this one (me included), trying to use as much as possible and sometimes misjudging the car's position, but sometimes people just take the Mickey and are clearly doing this deliberately.

For those who could race online (time is available, decent internet connection etc) but choose not to for other reasons, I' d like to offer my thoughts:

(someone's already said this one but it's worth repeating): Accept your skill level.
So many people have said their lack of skill puts them off. Until you race other people, you won't know how good or bad you are, but even if all of you are rubbish, there are enough of you to start a league where you're all at the same level. Once you accept your skill, find cars that suit it. E.g. I had a go at racing a Lola T70. Looks and sounds great, but only at one race (old Hockenheim) did I have a decent race. The car was beyond me, even if though I chickened out of using my shifter and used the gear paddles instead. For me, things like touring cars/low level GT cars are at my limit - modern suspension and tyres give them stable handling and the engines aren't too powerful, so my brain can just about process what's going on. Even then I'm typically a midfielder.

I used to only race against the AI but the ability to restart a race was too tempting if I stuffed up or wasn't overtaking everybody. If I'm hotlapping, I tend to make mistakes because of the nature of that type of driving. Online I have to just accept where I am. After learning the track (e.g. braking points that I can manage) I find it easy to just accept my pace. I'll catch some people, and others will catch me. I'm not a natural racer so I don't get involved in a lot of wheel to wheel action. I tend to make up places because other drivers crash (either on their own or into each other). When a driver is behind me and faster, and also a bit of a hothead, my preferred tactic is to let him past me when he makes his move, and hope the next driver up the road puts up more of a defence and those two collide. No guarantees but it's satisfying when it works.

Still looking for a league that will fit around my hours. With that being said, I've got a young family and just trying to get a good session without interruptions is difficult. But certainly joining a league is my ultimate destination as open lobbies are hit and miss.

As an Aussie it's all about timezones, yeah sure there is the Aussie club here at RD but I don't race rF2 or AMS, so because I only race AC or ACC I need to look at USA or EU events which means very early AM for US races or 3am starts for EU races. I tried both over the years but Ive given up on Sim-racing after 20yrs.
The AU club is running ACC races now. Sunday evening's 8pm AEST. The event should be up by this evening if you wish to join us :) Just keep an eye on the Calendar.

For me it's a combination of factors. In no particular order. Age, at nearly 70 my reaction times are often much slower than others I may race against. Disability. As a result of a serious road accident 20 years ago which frankly I was lucky to survive, I rely heavily on assists. I can't left foot brake as my left leg is completely paralysed. I can't trail brake as I only have about 15 -20% use of my right leg so I have to use ABS to compensate for the lack of feeling in my braking foot. I also rely on TC for the same reason. I also use SMC because of slow reactions. I got sick of being told I wasn't a real sim racer because I use assists and as the lobby host sets the rules I haven't found anywhere that caters for drivers who use assists for whatever reason. Then there are the wreckers who obviously have very sad lives if the only pleasure they get in it is by ruining the enjoyment of others. Whilst hot lapping my issues don't matter just results and by racing AI I can set the rules and enjoy my racing without being mocked. I'm sure there are leagues out there that cater for people such as I but I haven't found one yet sadly. However none of the above detracts in any way from the enjoyment I derive from sim racing. I am fortunate that I have been able to compete in real life motorsport prior to my accident and sim racing offers me the opportunity to re live some of the experiences I enjoyed so much. As my daughter often says through sim racing I am able to grow old disgustingly and I'm loving every moment of it lol

No time, too time consuming to find a session using a class you're most experienced and proficient in, which would happen to be running when you finally have free time. There's also a lot of pressure, as I've felt leading a good few races in R3E and iRacing, only to be knocked out by poor/dirty drivers, or soul crushing freezing/lag. I've lost a GT3 League championship thanks to all of that, and it takes away the fun as opposed to just starting up a race and enjoying yourself.

I started with ACC 1 year ago. After 100+ hours still I'm lacking pace of 2 - 3 seconds on each and every track. That's a bit too much. Everytime I drive I get slightly better. So I keep practicing -insert japanese fisherman meme here-.

I just hope ACC will still be raced online 2022 lol.

I decided to do some online racing due to this thread, but I still prefer racing single player. Here is why.

1. Easier to find the race you want the way you want it.
2. With family, time can be limited, and it is still quicker to jump in a single player race.
3. No qualifying, waiting on other players, etc.
4. The AI is more considerate than many of the online players.
5. There is more punting than an American football game.
6. Just like single player you are penalized for someone else running into you. However, it is easier to avoid with the AI. And that is saying a lot with ACC and the AI punting it does.
7. The most aggressive driver (the punters) seems to win most of the races I have been involved in (Typically 15-30 min with qualifying), and I refuse to use that tactic to win.
8. Uncertainty of the expected etiquette. I did look this up, but there seems to be disagreements on this topic.

What I liked most about it.

1. Although there were many punters that seem to place highest with no regard for others, the ones that were respectful were fantastic. I saw one person punt another on accident, and he pulled over until that person was back on the track.
2. Less predictability from the drivers.
3. Being flabbergasted at how fast some of the online guys are. I enjoyed letting a faster driver pass, and then follow and copy the lines they were taking.
4. Has pushed me to look more at my car settings, as I can tell that some of the online people have definitely done some things to their cars to give that extra push. I typically go aggressive setting with change of tire pressure based on temps, brake change for shorter races (set to 1), and reduce fuel for shorter races.

I will probably do some more online stints, but will likely remain mostly offline. I am surprised that the SA rating of some of the players is as high as it is with all of the punting that is done. Maybe it is just the races I have been involved in. Since I am not that great of a sim racer this actually helps me some, as I get to pass those ahead of me that were punted, so I guess that is an upside to it :).

I avoid multiplayer (except with a group of friends) for a few reasons:

1. Skill gaps. I'm not *that* good compared to others and having people pull away by several seconds a lap just isn't that much fun.
2. People driving like lunatics/getting torpedoed. It's not my idea of fun.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back