Community Question | What Stops You From Racing Online?

I have been sim racing for years (going back to Revs on the C64) but have only raced online in the last couple of weeks in ACC Belgium Noob servers. Whilst my race craft is sound, I race clean, don't fight when the driver behind is clearly faster or being lapped. I don't want to ruin someone else's race by accidently punting someone off, etc. I have also found that I am pretty slow by comparison.

I can't really commit to a league, but would be interested in racing with like minded people who try to race clean, want to have fun, but aren't doing to get bent out of shape if a racing accident occurs.

There are far to many of these "who's fault is this" video's on social media trying to name and shame that it puts me off most of the time.

When i start a session, I have a clear appetite for a given track and car combo - and that usually is a combo not being offered online.

Also, I mostly prefer simple trackday session designs, meeting cars on the track and dogfight with them a bit, but without any systematic race event structure. Now what trackdays do you find online? Nordschleife. Spa. Black Cat County. Scottish Highlands. And thats it. Always the same.

Third reason: I like many mod tracks in AC that almost never get set up online.

Fourth reason: the aI is good enough for me to set up a real challenge for me, i am none of those ultra-fast drivers, I am reliable, but not superfast, I lack pace. When I make it to the top three in a trackday session, that is not because I am so fast, but the others catapulting themselves off the track time and again.

Therefore you very rarely see me online in AC on a trackday Nordschleife server or at Spa, and never in ACC and Raceroom. With wreckers and crash-kiddies I have almost never a problem, I almost never have one in a session I do online. On the very rare occasions I meet one, i usually can outmanouver him. And those who struggle with keeping in control due to their steering hardware or because they are noobies, I am patient. Its a public server and they have any right to be there like I have. Destructive intention and lacking ability/training are two different things. However, I wonder whether one really must learn the driving basics online. Why not learning the basics of a track offline, and THEN go online?

Last edited:
In any sim - everything is better when used online.

I do race online, nothing truly stops me. But there are some things that sometimes limits me from participating more:

1. Not having time even for just one hour;
2. Not being most enthusiastic about content used, give me car that needs more driving skills, hpattern gearbox, clutch, a tire that isn't made of superglue...;
3. Mostly playing rF2 so not much of it happening.... however there is one recent project called JustRace.net which seem to work very well and I already had several great races;
4. Racing with great efforts at a times is big work to do, and takes plenty of energy, which sometimes just isn't there in some days. Also in addition to that in some types of racing, like leagues, it is a must to practice properly, and with some others spending crazy amount of time practicing, it becomes kind of a job, if you feel like you must practice a lot too to remain at the right place of the competition. Even when it isn't some high profile eSports;
5. Spending too much of time modding;
6. Technical reasons - like troubles with internet;
7. Player numbers not being high enough does sometimes demotivate, although a great race can happen even if there are only two players in server...
8. If too many idiots are racing in server or generally mean and unpleasant racers, then there is no point of participating.
special cases
-ACC - lost interest, and few online races I had there was a mess and disappointing
-iRacing - in my mind irrational racing schedulles that overlaps one another, safety rating is irrational abd promotes grandma driving by the edges of a track avoiding racing, performance rating is irrational has no touch with safety and even promotes cut throat attitude, tires in most cars are terrble (hello Lotus 49), too few interestign cars that aren't even popular;
- rF2 - pickup online racing has to happen big time there !
- AC - just simply played enough, time to move on;
- Raceroom - not high enough of simulation to my understanding;
- Project Cars - I am not 14 anymore;
- Live For Speed - it probably would be interesting, but just don't even have it now;
- Automobilista 1 nd 2 - would be interesting too, but it just seem to be last sim to have space in this niche, of gamers that don't look at cars as only A to B transportation tool.

Espero que simracing.gp com o departamento de corrida tenha ligas mais sérias! Eu participei de várias corridas do departamento de corrida em simracing.gp, mas agora estou procurando por ligas mais sérias e não por 4fun ...

Mainly because I want to play at a time and duration convenient for me and no-one else. I'm a carer so have some time contraints that cannot be deferred to anyone and I often have to pause games and leave them for a while. So I never play online games at all, just too much hassle.

I was avoiding going online with ACC for a bit less than a year now and decided to give it a try with quick join. I was considering myself not fast enough and, as many people stated before, I was afraid that I will ruin someone else's race because my lack of racing knowledge. It turned out not so stressful experience after all. I had good Q sessions even decent race pace. I raced only tracks that I am completely familiar with and doing my best to avoid any collisions. I was also not mad if someone crashed into me - it happens!

Oooh, this could be interesting....

Since I have IRacing....nothing stops me. Best races I had online ever. And for me...even though I like all good Simulation titles, IRacing is the King. Scheduled Races 24/7.....fast and safe drivers and the greatest Community Ever. And for those who dont like Online Racing it has also the best AI;)

The reason i dont race online is the same as why i dont play FPS or MOBA games online...the other players...you tend to either get completely owned and outclassed by someone with greater skill or griefed by someone with lesser skill

The reason i dont race online is the same as why i dont play FPS or MOBA games online...the other players...you tend to either get completely owned and outclassed by someone with greater skill or griefed by someone with lesser skill
Many people say the same, but this is true with open servers only. Racing within a real league is different; there will always be aliens but you can forget about 90% of the grief.

Since I have IRacing....nothing stops me. Best races I had online ever. And for me...even though I like all good Simulation titles, IRacing is the King. Scheduled Races 24/7.....fast and safe drivers and the greatest Community Ever. And for those who dont like Online Racing it has also the best AI;)

Since we are praising iRacing (AI) - how is the AI on Nordschleife ;) ?

Takes me a while to get into the flow, then I tend to get brain fade before a race is over... so I'm kind of a danger to others either way. ;)

People.

Skill (low-ish) and though I like driving, racing feels mentally and physically taxing instead of relaxing.

When I sit down to drive, I want to control the environment in which "fun" happens. And you can't expect other people to agree with your own definition of fun 100% of the time (and then it becomes "work" rather than "relaxation").

I also agree that it's nice to be able to just pause or quit and walk away once you've had enough (without it impacting other people or some random online rating system).

I just generally prefer PvE over PvP I guess.

My best online experiences was in racedepartment servers in live for speed, like... 12years ago? It was simple enough with decent people racing. I still find nothing beats the LFS online system. I can't even be bothered with AC, and no interest in paying for iRacing.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 49 37.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 79 59.8%