Community Question | What Stops You From Racing Online?

This stops me
8IeiZUR.jpg

I like to read about people being afraid to spoil somebody elses fun. Why do you think that? Do you constantly collide with AI?

Being slow(er) is not a fun killer to others. If I spin out in the front and have to fight my way back through the field (and please never ever just let me through cus I am faster, that's not racing) I have just as much fun as chasing down aliens. And you can have just as much fun trying to keep me behind you.

As long as you can safely drive side by side and know the basics of racing with regards to attacking and defending you will be fine. And yes incidents can happen but that is part of racing. (Albon jumps to mind here) We're all human, we might not be amused when it happens, but in the end it is just a game after all.

And when afraid of blue flags, just be predictable. In RD that means stay on your line and only lift your throttle when the faster car is next to you. That way he passes safely and you don't have to do anything you arent familiar with.

Mostly because of the way online racers behave and speak to each other and it has become worse over the years. The ranting, swearing (iRanting) and sometimes threats (consoles!) that some online racers seem to think is the way to behave. I don't want to use my game playing/racing time to end the session with negative feelings. When 90% of the time there is absolutely nothing at stake I find the behaviour hard to understand.

In all my years on real tracks, I've never experienced anything like that and the stewards or event organisers are quick to intervene if anything does occur, I've seen plenty of drivers removed and banned for poor driving standards. In the real world, I don't think the same people would be as brave with their insults.

I have raced online competitively in the past, some esports, even won a few endurance events, and equally have been at the back against some of the incredibly talented racers out there. I'm more interested in a good race than where I finish.

The few RD races I have taken part in have been well organised but...all that faffing about with the different apps needed to talk to people etc is another barrier. Technical issues in many games often another factor but too many to list here. Then there is the issue of downloading mods, it can all get very time-consuming.

For online racing to be really successful it needs a few things:

- A commitment to decent behaviour and driving standards. Even at our local go-kart and club events, no one gets on track without the safety briefing and driving standards chat.

- If it's in any way competitive, real human marshalls to observe driving standards and steward/organiser whose decision is final. Any complaints only to them, not other drivers/players!

- The simplest possible way to get everyone into the race and talking to each other (pre/post-race, not during!).

Lack of talent to compete for podiums
Lack of time to train properly and commit to race schedules
Lack of ability to develop setups

This sums it up for me.

I've done online racing before and although I wasn't competitive, I didn't finish last and I enjoyed the experience - but not enough to make me want to go back quickly. I keep meaning to try a few more, especially as I get lots of invites from Simracing.gp but then this leads me onto point two of this quoted post.

For example, today I received an invite for a BMW/Merc touring car shoot-out at Laguna Seca, I get slightly aroused by this combo so I'll probably sign up. But when it gets close I'll realise that I didn't actually find any time to practice, let alone work on a proper set-up and then find when the race finally comes around, 'life' will block me from actually attending.

"Sorry love, I cannot do that *insert mind-numbing life essential/child orientated chore here* as I need to race my imaginary cars around a track for the evening" - this doesn't cut it with the boss of my house - or my conscience unfortunately!

I wish this sort of thing was around when I was in my early 20's, living on my own in my bachelor pad with no commitments - but dial-up was still a thing back then. And if I'd have said that in 20 years time people from all over the world would be racing cars online against each other, I would've been burned at the stake for being a evil witch/warlock/wizard type thing :D

I currently only drive in leagues online when you drive in public lobbies. Are there drivers who make mistakes (nobody is perfect). But then they will deliberately ruin the running of others. Which I experienced very often, no matter in which sim that is. What I think is a great pity, of course there is a contact between the cars, which happens in touring cars or GTs, only then one of them is shot down immediately or is deliberately driven into the car that has ruined its own race. This takes away the motivation to drive in public lobbies.

only MP i enjoyed was iRacing, since people were "forced" to behave more, then in most other titles. some sort of rating ( both security and performance ) is a must, after that the races can be fair and amount of incidents can aslo be lesser

but what really stops me is the amount of time to fully commit, and to some degree also skills.
I'm not the slowest one out there, but also not the fastest one, and being 5th or so does get boring eventually, although I imagine over the course of season, if I stay consistent, there could be decent results to be produced

although the EGO and not being the fastest hurts it a lot :) most people dont' want to do it , if they can't win :) which is again why not only security rating but also performance rating is super imporant, so that you end up racing against peopel that have similar skills to yours

• Deleted member 6919

Dickheads mainly..Only race in private servers, never race in public ones, and that has been the same for 20 years.

If I want to compete against other people I will go into time trial mode and have a go at getting a world record or two in AMS1. However in tems of online racing, it's a large investment timewise, and most of the time the field spread is such that you might only be racing one or two people on pure pace, then one crashes and the other one quits. Not to mention those whose pride will not accept a fair and legitimate passing attempt.

I have sunk a lot of time into AMS and GP4 to get the AI to be as realistically paced as it can be. If I pick a back marker to drive, like a Minardi, I have to drive the wheels off it to qualify say 17th out of 22. I find that much more immersive and realistic than racing real people online. :roflmao:

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea