Community Question | Do You Wear Gloves To Sim Race?

I started wearing my Mt. Biking gloves years ago, to avoid blisters, they also help to save my alcantara wheel. The advantage of Mt. Biking gloves is that the backs are mesh, and let air in and moisture out, so your hands don't get sweaty.

P.S. Hal Burns: If I know that no one is coming over, I usually wear just a t-shirt, and boxer shorts, and socks to race in, so no I don't wear pants. :)

Simple finger-free thin and soft leather gloves meant for car driving. I sweat in the handpalms, that is cured this way, but I fiddle too much with the wheel buttons if covering fingertips with leather as well, its the buttons on a Fanatec CSL Elite PS4. Fingerfree gloves work very well. Fingerfree means only half of the fingerlength is free.

I use a pair of mountain biking gloves.. the ones that have the fingers cut off. Mainly to protect the wheels from sweat but also the padding in the gloves gives me a comfy grip.

I know 100% it looks silly, but I don’t mind looking silly, my TM Open Wheel is already a bit worn out after a few years of heavy use, but the newer Sparco Rally and P310 rims have been well cared for.. they are expensive toys so might as well take care of them.

if im testing something then i wont wear gloves. But if I plan to have a good session ( like I'm about to now ;) ) the throw the gloves on. Plus my wheel is alcantara. Dont want it to get all gooky.

New poll...do you wear pants when driving?
A tight fitting Hugo Boss black short sleeved t-shirt, hanes boxer briefs black, hanes ankel moisture wicking black socks, every now and then UA tennis head & wristbands black. I have a black GTRacing Chair tilted back to 110 degrees with Black OMP 4 cam buckle belt! :giggle:

Attachments

• IMG_20190630_180335_resized_20190726_123027180.jpg
    IMG_20190630_180335_resized_20190726_123027180.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 78
I have one some real leather gloves for driving, they look pretty cool but I rarely wear them.
and in before they made "do you wear a helmet during sim driving" :rolleyes:
I have one Uvex, also pretty cool but same as gloves ...rarely wear it.
But I have to admit it raises immersion when it's on. :geek:
Funny why I got one though... my friend have a motorcycle and I bought one cause he was always talking about us ride it countryside and we've never actually done it. :alien:
But I never talk about it. :D

Believe it or not, the oils from our skin are very toxic to a lot of materials and also clog the pores of your wheel material. I worked with plastics for over 20 years and if you have a wheel with a soft touch material like TPE's and Vinyls your skin oils will brake them down and they will start to feel tacky. Once you've reached that stage, it's very tough to remove the slimy layer. I've played golf for over 35 years and if you feel golf grips that are slick feeling, yep skin oils, sweat and uv rays. NEVER let anyone that uses lotion to use your wheel without gloves. That combo is even worse.

I wear golf gloves because they are thin and provide a lot of feel, are cooler than real driving gloves (if I had a DD wheel, I might have to reconsider). I don't use the leather ones that I play golf with because they don't absorb moisture as well and over time they get slimy feeling, but there are some really cheap gloves that are made of a fabric that has a thin layer of something that provides a little more grip and they have leather pads in the heel of the palm. I cut the fingertips out of them so I can use my mouse and keyboard with ease. This is the pair I started with here at RD in March of 2017 and they're still going. Just hand wash them from time to time and you're good to go. The stains will not come out.
20200527_234753.jpg
20200527_234527.jpg

Yes, always

Even when i'm strapped in my seatbelts and my gloves are just out of reach, i still get out of the rig to get them :D

(which happens to often :roflmao:)

In the past, for alcantara wrapped Fanatec GT3, yes, but only to protect that beautiful Porsche wheel ;). Now, my T500 Ferrari 458 and F1 add-on don't need that special treatment. So, NO.

I have a set of real leather driving gloves that I use to drive it because it provides an extra grippy layer for me to use since my hands get extremely sweaty after driving for a long time and I once was driving and my hands slipped on the wheel mid corner and I almost lost control of my car so I got a set and I have been using them for about 4 years now

Also depends on your hands/skin.

Not only are my hands fairly calloused from work, I've also got super-dry skin.
Combine that with the fact that my original T500 rim is just plain plastic, I have to use a deathgrip to hold on to the wheel.
Without gloves I've got maybe 15-20 minutes before my hands starts cramping up.

So I've got a pair of plain ole driving-gloves with some rubbery bits on the inside of the palm.
Think I picked them up on eBay for something like 10 Euros.
End of problem, and money well spent IMO.

At the moment G29 without gloves.
I'm planning a DD upgrade and exactly for the reason that I don't want to use gloves, I'm looking for a leather (no suede or alcantara) solution.
On the other hand I'm old enough to know that whatever I plan might be nonsense anyway:) In the end the journey from G29 to DD will be one with lots of surprises I guess.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • More leagues

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 25 18.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 8 5.8%