Community Question | Do You Wear Gloves To Sim Race?

Believe it or not, the oils from our skin are very toxic to a lot of materials and also clog the pores of your wheel material. I worked with plastics for over 20 years and if you have a wheel with a soft touch material like TPE's and Vinyls your skin oils will brake them down and they will start to feel tacky. Once you've reached that stage, it's very tough to remove the slimy layer. I've played golf for over 35 years and if you feel golf grips that are slick feeling, yep skin oils, sweat and uv rays. NEVER let anyone that uses lotion to use your wheel without gloves. That combo is even worse.

I wear golf gloves because they are thin and provide a lot of feel, are cooler than real driving gloves (if I had a DD wheel, I might have to reconsider). I don't use the leather ones that I play golf with because they don't absorb moisture as well and over time they get slimy feeling, but there are some really cheap gloves that are made of a fabric that has a thin layer of something that provides a little more grip and they have leather pads in the heel of the palm. I cut the fingertips out of them so I can use my mouse and keyboard with ease. This is the pair I started with here at RD in March of 2017 and they're still going. Just hand wash them from time to time and you're good to go. The stains will not come out.
View attachment 376942View attachment 376943

Great Input!
That's Wilson Feel Plus?

Absolutely yes, both to protect the wheels from wear and for a matter of grip.
The first few times it's strange and a bit annoying but if you choose the right and breathable gloves it's all fantastic.
I use Sparco Hypergrips and I am great!

I only ever wear gloves if I have started to blister up my hands from excessive sim driving or have some other hand related ouchie. It is much harder to feel your way around in VR with gloves on (e.g left mouse button.) I do wear cheap karting shoes every time I race though as they have a nice rolled heel.

I used to never wear gloves, but I decided to one day. Felt amazing. I now wear leather driving gloves. And not just for sim anymore. I now wear them to drive regularly. So much more grip. I understand not wanting to though but you do you.

And yes, the gloves are red.

Never used gloves due driving a sim coz probably i would die after 2 minutes of overheating :roflmao:

I have the TS-PC with alcantara and in my opinion its not necessary to wear gloves using that wheel.
From time to time my driving sessions were up to 5-6h and it was always "grippy". Also during very hot summer days.

Never used to wear them and actually used to laugh and shake my head when I watched YouTube videos of people wearing them whilst sim racing.
And then I bought my Accuforce DD wheel I didn't like the feel of the alcantara so thought I thought I would buy these general purpose (very thin) leather/cloth garden gloves from TKmaxx (for £5) to 'give them a try' and it was the best decision I made.
I now cant race without them.

IMG_5975.jpg

IMG_5976.jpg

Back in my T300RS days I drove with my bare hands, and never felt the urge to use gloves.
Things changed when switching over to the Simucube DD.

For road cars I use a 350mm MOMO monte carlo wheel which has a smooth leather rim, and also steering forces stay in the 3-6NM range with most road cars, so gloves are not a thing.
On the other hand, driving the Lotus 98T with a 270mm suede wheel, and up to 25NM in very fast corners, my palms could not take a single lap without gloves.

So just like in real life! Gloves yes, but only for the fast and dangerous stuff:)

Funny this comes up today as I just recieved my new pair an hour ago.

So to answer that; yes I do in racing games. If I play something like ETS2 I don't.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.