Community Question | Do You Still Regularly Play 'Old' Sims?

Hi guys ✌️

Still playing RBR sometimes, as well as GTR2 (wich is the best finished game EVER... Not a bug, not a thing missing, and the FFB is still very solid compared to today's standards)
And LFS of course !

But more surprisingly, I had tons of fun with Driver (1999 ?) Remember guys ??
Driving 70s Muscle cars in American citys, being chased by the cops
It's obviously an arcade game, but the physics are really cool... Inertia, tyre grip and suspensions are very "coherent" and easy to handle.
You really should give it a try/retry guys, I'm sure most of you would have a good surprise

Cheers,
Donnie

AMS 1 is the "oldest" I'd play. I've tried the older ones mentioned, but for curiosity not nostalgia, as I wasn't playing them back then. As good as they were for the time I'm sure, there's a modern sim that scratches those itches just as good, if not better.

GP4 and AMS 1 will never leave my HDD. The former has by far the best AI in any title - they block and slipstream pass very convincingly, no other sim has managed to crack both. (In rF2 they don't pass, in AMS they don't block.)

The weather system is fantastic and the BOP of the AI between wet and dry is perfect. There are fantastic mods available, the only things that compromise it are the physics, which by now are outdated, but still fun enough to play.

AMS is the best all-rounder on the market IMO, as an offline player it ticks all the boxes, has amazing mods and looks clean graphically without lots of DOF and smog/blur nonsense.

IMO sims are only as immersive as their weakest point, it's all very well playing in VR as I have done, but if the AI won't pass you, or the FFB is poor, then for me the immersion is shattered anyway. None of the 'newer' sims really cut the mustard for me.

I'm playing GTR2 for about 1 year, loving it! I often play F1 Championship Edition for PS3 too.

I like old games in general, this year I bought FIFA 08 for PC, it's my favorite FIFA now haha

Thank you Paul! Great video! I will buy the SimBin Mega Bundle :D

Wow! RaceDepartment ran a WTCC Esports Series long time ago! Amazing!

I still play f1 2012/13, rfactor, race07, nr2003, gt legends and gtr2 every now and then. I've never really been bothered with having the best graphics for games so I still really enjoy them. I've even been messing with gran turismo 1,2 and 3 again for the nostalgia.

I recently built a Windows XP PC complete with a LG 19 inch 4:3 monitor.

It runs IndyCar Racing 2, all the Papy NASCAR sims, GPL ,GP3 and GP4 etc, and a few others.

My main PC has all the latest games but I seem to collect more than I play lol. I do more track building and 3d work than play.

While I still have 'Race07' / 'rFactor' and others installed, I think for me personally I may have become a 'Sim Racing Snob' :confused::rolleyes::roflmao::roflmao:...AMS2 with it's beautiful lighting / graphics / and great 'Photo Mode' etc has spoilt me and the older Sims almost do not appeal :confused::confused:...but will keep them all installed anyway as sometimes i feel like something different for a change :thumbsup:.

As a few others have said, VR has put an end to me dabbling with other sims. Once you've had a taste of VR, 2D sims just don't seem the same.

I wouldn't go as far to say "never", but it's extremely rare for me to fire up an old sim anymore. If I'm feeling that nostalgic, I'll more often than not just head to YouTube.
just wait till you get a motion rig. not even got to be full motion just enough lateral motion to know when to catch slide.. combine with vr smh it will make old sim look like freeking lite-bright gtfoh

What is not to like and why do you need to use them regular ? :coffee:

rFactor 2020-07-05 11-23-24-04.jpg

I feel sad for anyone has never driven GPL Isle of Man Full Road
There is 1,000's have downloaded AC 15 mile fantasy version :O_o:

Targa Florio and Spa '67 are best most authentic versions

GTL PnG GTR2 like where do you start :roflmao:

activate windows compatibility mode and run as administrator ... is that synonymous with playing old games? :roflmao:

I use GTR2, and F1 Challenge 99-02. for hardware reasons and not having money ... I'll be with them for years. I do not regret anything in the election. (..and Richard Burns Rally)

When 15 years pass I will just buy asseto corsa competicione (acc) ... I advance 15-18 years retarded.

Sadly, never did GPL (late to the party and well, just to softcore...) but regularly fire up Power & Glory for a proper sim experience.

Why not take a MkII Jag, overheat the brakes and tyres, and enjoy a mystery tour of your favourite circuit! When you get to the next corner you may or may not have brakes. You might even have some grip, though at which corner is anybody's guess! Fantastic!

Still keep GTR, Race the WTCC Game (never get a look in nowadays), GTR2, GT Legends, Race 07 + exps, AC & AMS1 for when the mood takes.

I recently built a Windows XP PC complete with a LG 19 inch 4:3 monitor.

It runs IndyCar Racing 2, all the Papy NASCAR sims, GPL ,GP3 and GP4 etc, and a few others.

My main PC has all the latest games but I seem to collect more than I play lol. I do more track building and 3d work than play.

I have considered doing this for a long time, but have never gotten around to it.

GENERALLY ?.. never head of it, is it this one ??

I was playing with idea of making similar far camera racing camera in Unreal4., but it might not be suitable for phone though, which was my main platform I was interested in

That's the one.

Was made by a couple of guys from Finland, I think they're brothers? One of the best games I've ever played. Great driving model with simplistic tires/damage/fuel.

Built-in car and track editors resulted in a massive add-on community that originally called RSC home, but they now have their own forum with most of the high quality content backed up and sorted.

It's mind-boggling how much stuff was made for the game. With the cars being 40 polygons, guys would crank out entire chronologies of F1, Ferrari road cars, Le Mans prototypes, it's really insane the depth of content that's available.

That's the one.

Was made by a couple of guys from Finland, I think they're brothers? One of the best games I've ever played. Great driving model with simplistic tires/damage/fuel.

Built-in car and track editors resulted in a massive add-on community that originally called RSC home, but they now have their own forum with most of the high quality content backed up and sorted.

It's mind-boggling how much stuff was made for the game. With the cars being 40 polygons, guys would crank out entire chronologies of F1, Ferrari road cars, Le Mans prototypes, it's really insane the depth of content that's available.
Just searched for this: http://gene-rally.com/

You guys know it's freeware? :)

Download? *yoink*

...Oh it's a Slicks'n'Slides type game. nice!

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%