Community Question | Do You Still Regularly Play 'Old' Sims?

But more surprisingly, I had tons of fun with Driver (1999 ?) Remember guys ??

The replay system of driver should be legally determined for every racing game or sim of this world.
For everyone who does not no what i am talking about, in Driver you can edit every replay cam by hand and set position, angle, cut-in and cut-out, zoom, add new cameras and so on IN GAME. You feel almost as a hollywood director. That was awesome!

Back to topic.

GPL what else. First love is the deepest. GPL will always stay on my HD and I will always drive it. Just dl a new version of Monza for it and I am curious to try it out. GPL is 22 years old now, and is still running fine on Win10. And if some day a version of windows does'nt allow me to drive GPL anymore, I will buy a second pc for the new stuff and keep my Win10 pc for GPL alone.
GPL might be old and outdated, but it's still the only sim that gives me shiffers driving the Nordschleife.

I never really played oldies, as I moved from playing very little with granturismo series, console and controller, to iRacing and AC which are still quite “modern” games... I am really new to racing simulation...

I'm (almost) a complete noob. I've just bought GTR2 purely for the driving school. I've got very fond memories of playing TOCA 2 in the dim and distant past.

I still play at GrandPrixLegends and I must say that as a sim it is still one of the best, driving on the old nurburgring is something crazy, after 3 laps if you don't crash first you have to take a shower to cool off, then AMS1 and now AMS2

In real life you can drive an alfa romeo gta and have a fantastic experience compared to an alfa mito or a modern giulietta.
In sim it doesn't make sense because you won't have laser scan traks, advanced phisics, FFB, etc.......
but the nostalgic ...... :rolleyes:

I still played Race 07 and GT Legends regularly right up to the point when I got VR about three years ago. For me there is no going back to pancake racing after VR, so sadly it was time to retire those golden oldies. (Had to retire AMS 1 too, which was still "current" at the time.) If there was some way to hack VR into them then I'd happily give them another go!

Like a few others have said, buying a VR headset ended me plying the old games. GTR2, AMS1 and RF1 in full VR would make me a happy man. I miss the likes of Power and Glory and Historix, maybe one day they will come to rF2.

I've got every game I bought installed, I'm playing bits of old rally games for my YouTube channel at the moment. It's nice to have a reason to blat about in old games now-and-then!

GPL has been installed on all my PC's since 1998, still love GP4 and just this weekend I have been tinkering with ICR2 and Nascar 1 in DOSBox. It's been a real eye-opener going back to sims I could only play on keyboard back in the day, to find just how detailed they are once a wheel and pedals are connected.

As a few others have said, VR has put an end to me dabbling with other sims. Once you've had a taste of VR, 2D sims just don't seem the same.

I wouldn't go as far to say "never", but it's extremely rare for me to fire up an old sim anymore. If I'm feeling that nostalgic, I'll more often than not just head to YouTube.
Well I have VR and I always said, No VR No Buy. But since I have my triple 1440p setup I hardly put on my VR. Yes VR is more immersive but for me it is uncomfortable after a few hours. Plus I miss the hardware which surrounds me, like button boxes, extra screens(tablets) etc. And best thing in pancake mode the visuals are so great. So No VR No Buy does not count anymore.
love to play AMS1 als on “old” sim.

For me, that I love playing different kind of championships with offline AI, Race 07 is still the best option.
You just have to accept some strangeness from the AI and act accordingly and it's amazing.

I still played Race 07 and GT Legends regularly right up to the point when I got VR about three years ago. For me there is no going back to pancake racing after VR, so sadly it was time to retire those golden oldies. (Had to retire AMS 1 too, which was still "current" at the time.) If there was some way to hack VR into them then I'd happily give them another go!
Try running them in a wrapaound virtual desktop in VR. It's not proper 3D but I find it quite immersive. Much better than on my ultrawide at least.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back