Community Question | Do You Still Regularly Play 'Old' Sims?

would love to play again old games Like toca one of the best games for me and race 07 but with the new graphics im adicted to assetto corsa with SOL and mods i can do my own championships but by far old games are more realistic in series, im begging for a new game to have the glory of Toca cant imagine Assetto Corsa Competizione with old btcc classics cars and tracks of course that would be great in my dreams :D

GTR 2 every now and again as well as the mod "The Power and the Glory" which is old skool. This has some sentimental value for me as I used to run 24 hour races with my son (In the same team) who was around 12 at the time. Now he's is 26 and kicks my arse in most sims but we run as a team in the Le Mans Series in iRacing now so I benefit from his speed.

Not really. I already have a hard time playing all the new titles without bothering with the old. I tried Race 07 a few weeks ago and gave up after only a few minutes. I uninstalled rfactor a long time ago, same with GTR2.

Tbh, a lot of older sims, especially the simbin stuff absolutely take dump on the modern sims when it comes to single player content. GTR2 has a fully detailed 2003 and 2004 FIA GT season with correct grids per round, Race07 has proper points systems and race formats for championships, GT Legends has a full career mode. The only modern sim that even gave an honest attempt at something like that was Project Cars 1 and 2

Short answer: Yes, GTL and GTR2, mostly, some Race 07, and Assetto Corsa, if you call that vintage.

Long answer: Of course, old sims also tend to be easy on hardware and are moddable and often have been brought up to date as much as possible by die hard fans.

That said, I miss competitive drop-in racing in the style of iRacing so I often find myself getting back into it for their hourly races where I know I can just drop in to a race and go.

Every once in a while I launch F1 Challenge 99-02, rFactor and GP4. The latter still has one of the best AI ever imo.

F1C is the first half of my childhood, I loved to have 4 seasons in one game, and I still remember the days spent looking for the best season mods, especially in 2009/2010, F1 Deluxe, JL, LMT, RFT...

rF is the second half of my childhood. I still remember I started playing it because I could actually use TV graphics unlike F1C, so all the days spent downloading and editing the rFDynHud with Prunn plugin

Oldest game I have installed is AC.

I do have a couple systems set up with emulators and sometimes have a session smashing out laps on some of the classics but they don't really qualify as sims in the modern context....

Might go smash out a few laps around Monaco on the Megadrive emulator....

I still played Race 07 and GT Legends regularly right up to the point when I got VR about three years ago. For me there is no going back to pancake racing after VR, so sadly it was time to retire those golden oldies. (Had to retire AMS 1 too, which was still "current" at the time.) If there was some way to hack VR into them then I'd happily give them another go!
Trinus VR may be worth a shot. (Called somin like that anyway)

Before each race weekend IRL I usually find a track similar to the one I'm racing at in NR2003 (almost every oval in North America has been made at this point), and do a full 100 lap "mock race" against a similar sized field of cars and my own custom AI path. People really do not understand just how close NASCAR 03 is to the real thing in terms of tire behavior and vehicle inertia. Few seasons back I had never driven on slicks before (our series uses grooved slicks to prevent guys from blowing $$$ on massive motors) and warmed up on NR03 using some track in Wisconsin as a placeholder. Went out and set the track record in qualifying. Pedal and wheel inputs were basically 1:1. Our baseline setup also works in the game.

IndyCar Racing 2 I recently got up and running on DOSBox. With a wheel set to the correct rotation it's quite fun both on road courses and ovals and it's the only IndyCar game I've played where races generally play out like a proper indycar race - draft battles on the ovals, lots of space between cars, AI with noticeably different skill levels between drivers, that sort of thing. I think what makes the experience is that with such simplistic AI, there's less chances for bizarre stuff to happen like you see in the isi/Madness engine games where cars divebomb the daylights out of you, drive on the grass, etc.

NHRA 2 and NHRA 2007 also get regular playtime, mostly because nobody's made any sort of drag racing game at all over the past decade. The team who made both games were massive NHRA nerds and most sim racers would not be prepared for how meticulous the engine adjustments are. The game is uncompromisingly difficult on max difficulty and both games have a proper career mode. Usually once a year my buddy and I will order pizza and just blitz through a few seasons, trading off every event.

Lastly, it doesn't count as a sim, but GeneRally. One of the best racing games ever made and it's a shame it never received an online component. The library of content for this game is staggering and it plays like a sequel to Danny Sullivan's IndyHeat.
GENERALLY ?.. never head of it, is it this one ??

I was playing with idea of making similar far camera racing camera in Unreal4., but it might not be suitable for phone though, which was my main platform I was interested in

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back