Community Question | Do You Still Regularly Play 'Old' Sims?

I usually play the oldies in VR in a wrapaound virtual desktop.
It's ain't real VR but it gets surprisingly close.
With my potato rig and cheap headset (PSVR) the oldies often look and perform as good or better than modern titles which I have to run with lower settings.
Physics not quite as good for sure but I expect my g29 hides a lot of the detail anyway.

As an 'old' sim racer; Ofcourse I do. How do dare even asking!? :D

Expecially GTR2, PnG, rFactor, GT Legends , Grand Prix Legends, Stock Car Extreme, Copa Petrobras de Marca and all the additional Simbin series (WTCC, Race07, RaceOn, STCC, STCCII, STCC10, GTR Evoetc).

All between playing the newer sims ACC, rF2, AC ...aaand a bit PC2 (yes).

Mainly because the vast amount of high quality car- and track mods for those 'old' sims.
Impressive with so many quality mods for a 22 year old game as GPL.
Especially I'm still very keen of GTR2 and PnG due to the easy file access, setting up endurance series with changing weather of car picks of own choise - for me sim racing is highly about car setup, tyre handling by adapting driving style, pit tactics and quick pit decisions when weather changes combined with endless tracks such as Targa Florio, Nürburgring Gesamtstrecke, Machwerk and so on, puts the right challenge for a dedicated sim racer.

I guess I'll still be playing GTR2 in 2030. Unless someone finally decides to come up with GTR3 and leave the mod marked just as free ;)

Moreover I now and then dig into Colin McRae 2, DiRT2, GP3 mods, F1C99-02 (with mods), GP4, GP2 and even my DOSBox machine for more 'classic' games.

This might seem like a lot of time, but as an 'old' sim racer with small children I do take long breaks in duractions of several months and plays mostly winter time with summer breaks spending time with my family, house, as a team captain in my bike club and other outdoor activities . But since Covid-19 has made sim racing competition so polular, I was gripped by the mood and think I'll be playing during the whole summer :D At least 2-3 days a week.

Last edited:
Race 07, all Reiza games, original Grid, NR2003.
Really like SLRE, but cannot use my current wheel...frustrates me.

The Reiza titles have aged least of all.

AMS1, Assetto 1. Not older than that

Honestly while I love AMS2, I still prefer the overall FFB and some cars in AMS1. Also it has mod tracks

AMS is still good, but if you go back they are just as good - GSC2012, Formula Truck, Copa da Marcas, GSE.
The main reason for not playing anything before GSE is that this title contains all classes, AMS tops that yet again.

Yeah i love that games, NFS Shift, Grid Autosport, GT4 , Project Gotham Racing series, Old F1 Games, Rfactor 1, Assetto Corsa (More than 500 fricking mods edition)...
I personally like more the Old Sims, more than these new ones.
IM
tired of this "SimRacing Hardcore Diehard Comunity"

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there’s no time but had the intention of firing up gtr2 a couple of years back but it crashed on me. Not sure if AC is considered an old title but i still enjoy revisiting the mods.

It is interesting what is now considered an old game. The pace of racing sim development has slowed down and we now have the "long term update and dlc" model. I can remember that by 2004 GPL, at six years old, was seen as an old game. Today AC is a similar age but is still the most played and best selling racing sim on Steam. RaceRoom is 7 years old, rFactor 2 is 8 years old and iRacing even older.

But if we go by the new definition of an old game, which seems to be its at least 10 years old, then yes I do play GT Legends and GTR2

Surprisingly, Netkar Pro and GTR2 still looks and runs really nice on a modern PC.
The nice thing about running old sims on modern hardware is that you can crank up every setting.

When you´re getting used to play Racing games with a VR Headset, you just can´t go back.
That´s the reason why i don´t drive old sims anymore.
Fortunately two of my favourite old sims did get VR-Support, Live for Speed and Richard Burns Rally.
Both of them are working great with my Direct Drive Wheel, i love it.

Yes a lot and mainly GTR2 with 10th Anniversary PATCH and HQ mods collection and the GTP mod for Nascar 2003. I know the graphics are not the same quality as the modern games but I just love how they drive and ofcourse those where programs that worked perfectly after ONE ore Two updates. (and for me a very great pro was ,they were perfectly modable)
Today the new programs go on sale with so many problems, it seems the buyers are Beta testers.
I was tempted into buying Project Cars. I know DUMB, DUMB, DUMB but the graphics looked great.
So they take your money throw in some minor updates and thats it, they start Project Cars 2 and leave al the people that bought the first Project cars with a program thats not even finished.

So today before I buy a modern racing game I will waite at least one year to see if it is worth buying, read a lot of reviews and hope its modable otherwise my money goes into something else.

My PC is modern with budget parts like i3 processor. Older stuff runs better than modern stuff as it pulls less demand on resources. Modern games are more demanding on resource and harder to play. I play rFactor 2 its nice and relativity straight forward. Just like i played growing up in the 80's. Just jump in any car and run around commutative even on the default setup. Take that Code Masters:ninja:

I poured hours of game time into GTL and GTR2 and then the Race 07 series and I loved that era. However it got milked to death by Simbin and I got sick of the dated graphics and sound tech so was itching for something to replace it by the time Assetto Corsa came around.

I did boot up Race 07 maybe six months ago just to give it a go, but the rough visuals really look bad so I didn’t give it much time.

No, but I should dig out all my old games in the closet and see if any of them can work with W10 via a workaround and relive some of the good times in the past :thumbsup:
-GTR2
-GPL
-GPLegends
-GP3
-GP4

Still got Race 07 and all the content on my HDD, I have to get my Volvo 850 wagon hit! I might dig out my GTR2 disc and install that! What are the must have mods for GTR2?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back