Cayman Cup Update Coming in Next RaceRoom Build Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
R3E Cayman Update 4.jpg

Sector3 Studios have confirmed the much anticipated physics and livery update for the already in sim Cayman GT4 Clubsport will arrive as part of the next big R3E update.

Having released back in December with just the single generic livery, the GT4 Porsche Cayman always felt a little bit under loved by the development team, with many fans crying out for the livery pack update to the car that was promised, but had failed to materialise in the months following release.

However that is about to change, Sector3 Studios having today confirmed that the Cayman will indeed be getting a nice set of shiny new paint schemes from the 2018 VLN Series (plus select 2017 versions), alongside what is promised to be a rather tasty physics update to the popular if rather flighty little car.

R3E Cayman Update 3.jpg

On the visuals front, the category formally known as the Cayman GT4 Clubsport Trophy will now be rebadged as Manthey Racing Cayman Trophy to reflect the new partnership, and will come complete with no less than 17 new real world liveries from the series.

On the physics side of things, Sector3 have also confirmed the Cayman has undergone what has been described as a "substantial" physics update, aided by the support of sim racing driver and real world VLN champion Moritz Kranz, the German racer helping with advice and guidance as Sector3 Studios look to add more finishing touches to this highly addictive racing car.

The next major build update for RaceRoom Racing Experience is expected to release within the coming weeks.

R3E Cayman Update 1.jpg
R3E Cayman Update 2.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a free to play racing simulation from Sector3 Studios.

If you like RaceRoom and want to keep up to date with all the latest news and discussions, head on over to the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum. We host a whole range of top quality club racing events in our Racing Club, plus we offer a great place to hang out and discuss the game with your fellow R3E fans. Pop over and say hello today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to the upcoming R3E update? Excited to try out the new Cayman? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind trying out the Cayman, but I just can't bring myself to download the whole game again to do a test drive. I found the game to be rather bland as far as physics and features. I later was told it was based on the older rfactor engine that AMS used. (I thought AMS felt much better, though I don't play that title too much anymore either) For me at least, it didn't make much sense from a price point of view either, It would have cost me close to $110-120 cdn for the whole game via VRP Raceroom store, and $7-8 dollars for single cars etc. (I thought that was weird too..Why not sell through Steam?) So, in comparison, AMS only cost me $30 with season pass on a sale earlier this year. Sorry Sector 3,:redface:

edit: Or KW suspensions or whoever you are:rolleyes:
But Sector3 fixed "No VR No Buy":whistling:

I wouldn't mind trying out the Cayman, but I just can't bring myself to download the whole game again to do a test drive. I found the game to be rather bland as far as physics and features. I later was told it was based on the older rfactor engine that AMS used. (I thought AMS felt much better, though I don't play that title too much anymore either) For me at least, it didn't make much sense from a price point of view either, It would have cost me close to $110-120 cdn for the whole game via VRP Raceroom store, and $7-8 dollars for single cars etc. (I thought that was weird too..Why not sell through Steam?) So, in comparison, AMS only cost me $30 with season pass on a sale earlier this year. Sorry Sector 3,:redface:

edit: Or KW suspensions or whoever you are:rolleyes:
As Lars commented selling through Steam would add an extra cost. There is some content through Steam but not all of it. I would suggest getting a few items to start with to see how it goes, and use VRP of course when purchasing. No doubt you don't need help but anyway all is explained in this video...

Because Steam takes a pretty sizable cut off anything sold in their store.
As Lars commented selling through Steam would add an extra cost. There is some content through Steam but not all of it. I would suggest getting a few items to start with to see how it goes, and use VRP of course when purchasing. No doubt you don't need help but anyway all is explained in this video...
Thx for the info guys:) I'm a sucker for Porsche.
I'll wait to see what happens with updates and pricing.

I wish... raceroom was not in beta state anymore :roflmao:
More seriously, just state it is the final version and sell DLCs. As it is, people always expect something new, new features. But it seems more a 1.0 finished product with updates and new dlcs coming from time to time.

Just launched the game in VR, still great! The FFB is still my favourite, just the lack of rain keep me a bit away from it.

The idea is to provide feedback to the devs about what their customers and potential market are looking for in their product. Employees at more than a few companies cruise these forums.

Repeated posts from varied sources ought to help confirm to the devs that this is actually a widespread desire in their market and that they should take it seriously.

At this point, you are beyond beating a dead horse though.

That horse has been dead, had it's ashes incinerated, and now you are beating its ghost :D

Only so much can be done about the graphics engine. It's been stated numerous times that a major update will come along after the technology is developed and utilized in GTR3. Clearly that isnt out yet, so the next update isnt going to have a graphics engine change (lol).

J-F mentioned a few months ago that they would look into an in-between upgrade. And they did exactly that. Maybe that will happen at some point, maybe it wont. There are plenty of reasons why something like that wont be done until the big UE4 changeover, such as lack of funds, lack of staff to port everything over to an in-between update, lack of time, lack of... you get the idea. What would an update even look like? Just transitioning to DX11 wouldnt affect the graphics quality whatsoever, all content would need to be remade with DX11 in mind for it to look different. So, there are yet even more reasons why an in-between update isnt worth doing and instead just focusing on the UE4 switch when that time comes.

Saying you want better graphics isnt going to make them any more aware of this fact than they already are, or make the change happen sooner :p

Some things though are worth the continuous feedback on though, such as the people clamoring for triple screen support for years before it was added. :)

I was obviously explaining to the dude that S3 have to finish what they've started before moving on to new pastures. :rolleyes:
So explain to me what I have done to upset you Martin Fiala? You've done bugger all but nit pick every statement I've made for weeks. I have no beef with anyone, not even with whip who join forum threads to just upset the apple cart, that's a problem they have to live with, not me. I do have a bit of a problem when people constantly dissect every word I say as fact or fiction. I sing to no song sheet, have no agenda other than following my favourite pastime, you? I post on here in a jovial way (as I do in all forums) for my amusement and anyone else who can be arsed to read it, if you don't find it funny, don't laugh, I won't be offended.

Last edited by a moderator:
R3E is my favorite sim, with AC, but it still has a few things to implement to make it a truly awesome game: a car filter, a custom championship option that lets you change the point system and a option to accelerate time during qualifying. I think the graphics are very good, but yes, the game is starting to show its age. Honestly, I think they have enough car models and tracks at the moment, so maybe its time to make the game more complete.

R3E is the only game that calls itself a racesim but changing tire pressure is not an option:whistling:

Meanwhile, there are several sims where you *can* indeed change tire pressures, but the pressure adjustments make no sense and/or don't have the effect they should have. Don't know about you, but I'll gladly take the no adjustment option of the two.

So explain to me what I have done to upset you Martin Fiala? You've done bugger all but nit pick every statement I've made for weeks. I have no beef with anyone, not even knobs like whip who join forum threads to just upset the apple cart, that's a problem they have to live with, not me. I do have a bit of a problem when people constantly dissect every word I say as fact or fiction. I sing to no song sheet, have no agenda other than following my favourite pastime, you? I post on here in a jovial way (as I do in all forums) for my amusement and anyone else who can be arsed to read it, if you don't find it funny, don't laugh, I won't be offended.

I have no idea what you're talking about, nor am I aware of being upset by you. You might've made some incorrect/questionable statements in those past weeks I guess, which I might've "nitpicked" in an attempt to correct them, that's certainly possible. That's something that happens countless times daily on various forums and other media for me, so I consider it quite unremarkable and don't really remember specific instances or people I responded to, sorry. I mean - unless you're some truly exceptional individual like Nano10 above with his AI adjustments, I might remember it then. If you are under the impression I am upset with you, you'd have to remind me of the exact instance of me supposedly being upset, because I just don't know what you mean. I am certainly not out to get you if that's your impression. So if you think I respond to you a lot lately, my only advice would be "stop posting things that make me respond to them" ;)

Then again, it is entirely possible that some post or comment of yours has rubbed me the wrong way, resulting in a response that might've been snarkier or more annoyed than usual, that's been known to happen. There can be multitude of reasons for that, some of them even unintentional, one of the more likely ones being that I don't really have a sense of humor, or at least not when it comes to certain things/subjects/topics, so someone "posting in a jovial way for his amusement" while being wrong or innacurate might certainly get a different than normal reaction. In fact the post quoted above is a perfect example, because at least to me, it certainly doesn't come off as jovial in the slightest, it comes off as a bit peculiar and more importantly kinda whiny and needlessly confrontational, even though I see no reason for that (see above). But that's sometimes the trouble with written communication - certain things might get lost or (mis)understood in a very different way than they were intended.

Last edited:
I was obviously explaining to the dude that S3 have to finish what they've started before moving on to new pastures. :rolleyes:
So explain to me what I have done to upset you Martin Fiala? You've done bugger all but nit pick every statement I've made for weeks. I have no beef with anyone, not even knobs like whip who join forum threads to just upset the apple cart, that's a problem they have to live with, not me. I do have a bit of a problem when people constantly dissect every word I say as fact or fiction. I sing to no song sheet, have no agenda other than following my favourite pastime, you? I post on here in a jovial way (as I do in all forums) for my amusement and anyone else who can be arsed to read it, if you don't find it funny, don't laugh, I won't be offended.

reported for name calling

have a nice day

Regarding upgrading the graphics engine, SimBin/Sector 3 need to realize their mistake with GTR2 and all the sequels: They didn't keep building on the existing graphics engine and features. In fact, they removed key features that we've been screaming for ever since, namely, day/night cycle and weather.
That's because the 'SimBin' from 2007/Race07 is not the same development team as the one behind GTR2. The people who developed GTR2 are now known as Slightly Mad Studios. They were able to do magic with the isiMotor and bring rain, night, and even some "LiveTrack 1.0" before anybody else. This is why Electronic Arts picked them (Blimey!/SMS) to develop their Need for Speed series for a while, and is why their games have always had features not present anywhere else.

In a sense it's a good thing they steered away from the graphically dated engine. They're very capable programmers and, feature wise, Project Cars 2 has no competition.

The bad part is that the pMotor, the physics engine, is (AFAIK) tied to all the isiMotor engine. I think if you ditch the gMotor (graphics engine) you must ditch the whole engine. So you lose the physics, which in 2005 were (and still are) more accurate than anything other than rFactor 2's set of physics engine and data.

like Race 07's windshield rain effects, hold up visually, still.
No they don't. And even if they somehow do visually hold up for some people, you must still recognize how you're trying to hold onto a 13-years old engine.

It's time to move on.

I wouldn't even care if the R3E graphics engine never migrated to UE4 or DX11 as long as they would just realize their previous mistakes and start adding and maintaining and not removing key simulation features.
You're getting a few things wrong.

It's not that "R3E's graphics engine would move to UE4". The whole game would have to move to Unreal Engine 4, then use e.g. UE4's graphics engine - and plug their own set of physics data, external sound engine if they prefer, and so on. This is what Kunos is doing.

And R3E never migrating to a more advanced API would mean optimization for VR or 4K users would lack. DirectX 9 is dated AF. Even compared to DirectX 10 it lags behind. It's almost 20-years old stuff.

GTR2 proves, 12 years on, to this day, that the atmosphere created by day/night and rain still works on a surprisingly pleasing aesthetic level, even on its old engine.
Agreed.

Here's hoping they have realized this and will do the smart thing going forward with GTR3. If that bombs, please just update the old engine with features, it could have a good long life, just like GTR2.
Updating engines is something not something anyone can do. Hell, even Kunos with their massive budget decided to go with a good, developed and well tested engine that is Unreal.

There should be nothing preventing developers from going to UE4. Nothing. Developing an in-house engine can be a fun little science project, but it may kill the company and the game down the line.
Look at what happened to ISI while trying (and succeeding) to have the best physics on the market. rFactor 2 was a complete mess even several years after it was released, and to this day it's one of the least played sims on Steam.

R3E is also one of the least played, as well as any simulator that started with the isiMotor (Automobilista too). Why on earth go for the dated isiMotor? My best guess, considering how cash-grabbing the RaceRoom company is IMO (not SinBim/Sector3), is that it was a cheap alternative. Dying engine, cheap to develop for and make some money. Polish the graphics engine and tracks quite a bit, yet miss out on several key features that were added almost 10 years before it's time. Heck, R3E's setup screen is more basic than GTR2's, we can't even change tire compound or pressure.

While sims using isiMotor are the most accurate out there when talking about physics, there's no denying that it's a dying engine and that people will naturally gravitate towards flashy new graphics.

And it's not just about graphics, to be honest. Do you really think you're getting rain or day/night on R3E? Snow? A fully dynamic weather/track system? Better go back to dreaming.
R3E is and probably will be one of the most basic sims out there. DX11 or not.

Now if, say, rFactor 2, R3E, AMS, and even iRacing moved to UE4 they'd have what is considered the most powerful game engine out there which is ready for day/night/snow whatever. No need to butt their heads trying to update a dead 13-yo engine. It's a dead end no matter where you look it from.

Keeping the isiMotor engine is the dumbest move any developer would make at this point. Sure, R3E is already developed and working, but don't expect most (if any) of the features currently present on other sims.

(and even if they have some of these on the works, how much money would RaceRoom waste on this engine trying to bring features that exist for more than a decade on other games that nowadays do it better?).

Well, this turned out longer than I expected.

Meanwhile, there are several sims where you *can* indeed change tire pressures, but the pressure adjustments make no sense and/or don't have the effect they should have. Don't know about you, but I'll gladly take the no adjustment option of the two.

I have no idea what you're talking about, nor am I aware of being upset by you. You might've made some incorrect/questionable statements in those past weeks I guess, which I might've "nitpicked" in an attempt to correct them, that's certainly possible. That's something that happens countless times daily on various forums and other media for me, so I consider it quite unremarkable and don't really remember specific instances or people I responded to, sorry. I mean - unless you're some truly exceptional individual like Nano10 above with his AI adjustments, I might remember it then. If you are under the impression I am upset with you, you'd have to remind me of the exact instance of me supposedly being upset, because I just don't know what you mean. I am certainly not out to get you if that's your impression. So if you think I respond to you a lot lately, my only advice would be "stop posting things that make me respond to them" ;)

Then again, it is entirely possible that some post or comment of yours has rubbed me the wrong way, resulting in a response that might've been snarkier or more annoyed than usual, that's been known to happen. There can be multitude of reasons for that, some of them even unintentional, one of the more likely ones being that I don't really have a sense of humor, or at least not when it comes to certain things/subjects/topics, so someone "posting in a jovial way for his amusement" while being wrong or innacurate might certainly get a different than normal reaction. In fact the post quoted above is a perfect example, because at least to me, it certainly doesn't come off as jovial in the slightest, it comes off as a bit peculiar and more importantly kinda whiny and needlessly confrontational, even though I see no reason for that (see above). But that's sometimes the trouble with written communication - certain things might get lost or (mis)understood in a very different way than they were intended.
As I said, I don't have a problem and I'm certainly neither needy or confrontational, simply asked a question, as I also said, you don't have to laugh but singling out a line of my comment with the remark "we already know this is happening" when it was obvious I was responding to the dude above's comment, how do I say things need to be finished first, without mentioning something already said? If you're gonna pick every person up on repetition, you're gonna be a busy boy. :rolleyes:
I asked a simple question of you and your convoluted, confrontational reply, I think say's you don't have a problem, so as far as I'm concerned, enough said. I will try not to repeat myself again but then we are talking about RR here and liveries that are 9 months+ later than expected, RR is built on all us lot complaining of why this, that or the other isn't available yet. This is neither wrong or inaccurate but a fact of being a RR user. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back