Cayman Cup Update Coming in Next RaceRoom Build Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
R3E Cayman Update 4.jpg

Sector3 Studios have confirmed the much anticipated physics and livery update for the already in sim Cayman GT4 Clubsport will arrive as part of the next big R3E update.

Having released back in December with just the single generic livery, the GT4 Porsche Cayman always felt a little bit under loved by the development team, with many fans crying out for the livery pack update to the car that was promised, but had failed to materialise in the months following release.

However that is about to change, Sector3 Studios having today confirmed that the Cayman will indeed be getting a nice set of shiny new paint schemes from the 2018 VLN Series (plus select 2017 versions), alongside what is promised to be a rather tasty physics update to the popular if rather flighty little car.

R3E Cayman Update 3.jpg

On the visuals front, the category formally known as the Cayman GT4 Clubsport Trophy will now be rebadged as Manthey Racing Cayman Trophy to reflect the new partnership, and will come complete with no less than 17 new real world liveries from the series.

On the physics side of things, Sector3 have also confirmed the Cayman has undergone what has been described as a "substantial" physics update, aided by the support of sim racing driver and real world VLN champion Moritz Kranz, the German racer helping with advice and guidance as Sector3 Studios look to add more finishing touches to this highly addictive racing car.

The next major build update for RaceRoom Racing Experience is expected to release within the coming weeks.

R3E Cayman Update 1.jpg
R3E Cayman Update 2.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a free to play racing simulation from Sector3 Studios.

If you like RaceRoom and want to keep up to date with all the latest news and discussions, head on over to the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum. We host a whole range of top quality club racing events in our Racing Club, plus we offer a great place to hang out and discuss the game with your fellow R3E fans. Pop over and say hello today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to the upcoming R3E update? Excited to try out the new Cayman? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I would like a article on this, ask each developer where they see sims in 10 years

Can't see how any of them could honestly say they rather all titles have
different physics, tyre modelling for another decade

I'll bet $5 right now that we'll still have separate implementations :D at least in simulation grade products. Maybe for mainstream titles we'll have a physics engine like PhysX or something similar but nothing that would properly simulate a vehicle's many parts and tire model and all that.

I will be happy to be wrong, though! :)

I'll bet $5 right now that we'll still have separate implementations :D at least in simulation grade products. Maybe for mainstream titles we'll have a physics engine like PhysX or something similar but nothing that would properly simulate a vehicle's many parts and tire model and all that.

I will be happy to be wrong, though! :)

I would like to know why they could not build ground up engine together
that is the only way they could agree what is most representative of realism
instead of their personal philosophy

Then they agree on series they will apply, all different

You would not need a F1 car in AC or rF2 because Codies F1 20xx would drive,
feel, look as good................what would be the point ? ;)

I think it would be good if they could give us Dynamic Track Surface and Dynamic Weather for ex. (rubber, dirt, light rain, day<>night transition, etc...)
At least dynamic weather would be great. Updating the tires of each car category and the tracks surface must be a lot of work I assume (without speaking about the graphics and lightning).

Let's remember that this feature had been initially dropped down because the sim racers were not using it. I wonder how much of us are using that feature regularly nowadays. This would show whether the sim racing market has drastically changed in a few years or not ; if many use rain conditions, well, well done pcars2 and rfactor2 for having foreseen this change in sim racers' habits. If it is something still marginally used by sim racers, I'm sure sector3 won't bother to implement it.

I personnally have always used rain on different sims (yes it was something common back in the days ;) ; It was well done in f1 challenge ; I think even in the first f1 grand prix there was rain) so I use less raceroom (and assetto corsa) than other sims, unfortunately. But I may be not in the majority, as I wasn't in the gtr2 / race on times, which led to the cut of this feature.
Anyone has information about the reality of the use of the rain feature in sims?
Anyway, for me the best update for raceroom would be the rain and dynamic weather.

it's coming very soon!!!

J-F Chardon said:
I'd rather leave that to @Georg Ortner to decide when to reveal information about what cars are coming out and when.

What I can say about GT3 is that the wishes for AI filters (so you can have AI only race the current models for example) will be satisfied in the coming months at last. Also I do have eyes out on the new GT3 models being announced and released and wouldn't want to stop updating our most popular car class.

Man do I ever hope you are correct on this one. As an offline racer this is the major missing piece of the puzzle for this game. I've been adding this to nearly every post about this title I've made. It seems the racing gods might be listening. I hope... As for the Porsche I'll finally have something to race this nice car against. Even if it is just more paint jobs I'll take it!:)

Good news indeed. An opportunity to revisit the Cayman all over again, I guess. That being said I sure hope a whole GT4 class will be coming to R3E in conjunction with multiclass racing. This way an emulation of British GT or Asian Blancpain could be done.
Honestly I am hoping for more championship packages like the TCR package (which was not my cup of tea tbh) will come to R3E. I am hoping for a new ADAC GT Masters license, new 2018/2019 GT3 race cars. *Fingerscrossed*

Seeing ACC I sure hope a transition to UE4 will not be done in R3E. Cannot get my head around the candy-looks of ACC (and PC2 for that matter). They seem less realistically looking to me and overloaded with graphical glitter. I would gladly pass on day/night cycles and/or rain for that. A good day cycle would suffice for my style of gaming and marbles/rubbering in of track during a race/race weekend. I think it's the subtle things that matter most, not eye candy effects. So maybe an upgrade of the current engine to DX11 could suffice?

But anyway good job of the devs to keep adding new features, cars and tracks to the game. I like the concept of how existing software gets optimized instead of constantly releasing new flawed games.

They should work on DX11 before other stuff honestly...
Let 'em finish releasing the stuff they already released first, Cayman have been lacking these since their release earlier this year. GT2's and other classes need bringing up to date on the physics front and broadening the options by adding ABS control and improving the UI layout won't hinder any plans to move over to a newer variant of DirectX but I'd have to agree with Martin Fiala on this one. Without any mention at all of DX11/12 the promised 'huge' update will more likely be bringing the rest of the car classes into line with their physics, plus a bit of jiggling of classes was mentioned.
I perked my ears up at the mention of additions to the GT3's, wasn't expecting that, no idea if they are anything to do with this next update. According to JF, we are to pester Georg Ortner about all things car related, so Georg Ortner consider yourself officially pestered.

I really wish people stopped talking about engines and missing features that should've been implemented by now, it's very :rolleyes:

Also what happened to the other Porsche cars that were supposed to be released in 2018?

There's still almost two full months of 2018 left. Last year, the Porsches were released just before Christmas.

GT2's and other classes need bringing up to date on the physics front

We already know this is happening.

every update from raceroom now is when they have something to sell

the game is dead and they don't seem to care about adding features that would bring players in, all they care about is pushing new sell able content now

RaceRoom is owned by KW Auto parts who are RaceRoom (racing seats, simulator sales & software). Most of us already understand this of course, just adding to clarify my points here.

RaceRoom the game is maintained firstly to provide a solution for the simulator solutions (the Mercedes esports competitions as an example) that are either purchased, rented or franchised.

The version of RaceRoom that we play is another build of that same software and yes is still running on DX9. The way I see it these constant comments of DX11 / UE4 everytime there's an announcement are a bit pointless. All are valid points but they change nothing. If KW wish to keep things going then eventually something new will need to be developed and which will involve I assume whatever SimBin in the UK may or may not be working on.

I would say, and to be fair to the RaceRoom devs, if you're interested in a car in RaceRoom you're free to test drive it. If you think the game looks visually dated or whatever then vote with your wallet, don't buy the content.

I interviewed Robert from RaceRoom earlier in the summer (below) as well as Georg & Alex and created a tutorial on how to get started with RaceRoom and how to use the VRP system etc. The guys in Sweden are aware of the complaints and are I'm sure doing what they can to add whatever features they can based on the tools they have available. RaceRoom is a bit of a special case though, or at least that's how I see it, and I don't see the point in the repeated engine update comments. There will be major changes at some point, I mean if KW wish to keep things going and in any way profitable. But the decision will come for the parent company in Germany first I would think....

I wouldn't mind trying out the Cayman, but I just can't bring myself to download the whole game again to do a test drive. I found the game to be rather bland as far as physics and features. I later was told it was based on the older rfactor engine that AMS used. (I thought AMS felt much better, though I don't play that title too much anymore either) For me at least, it didn't make much sense from a price point of view either, It would have cost me close to $110-120 cdn for the whole game via VRP Raceroom store, and $7-8 dollars for single cars etc. (I thought that was weird too..Why not sell through Steam?) So, in comparison, AMS only cost me $30 with season pass on a sale earlier this year. Sorry Sector 3,:redface:

edit: Or KW suspensions or whoever you are:rolleyes:

Why not sell through Steam?
Because Steam takes a pretty sizable cut off anything sold in their store.

Good news about the Cayman. I've never actually driven it since it looks a little silly racing against identical cars.
And there's still the next 3 Porsches to look forward to. :)

All the rest is pretty much up to personal preference.
I don't care about rain, day/night-cycles or a new engine.
I get why people might want them, they're just not very high on my list.
The AI filter is nice, and if they ever get around to single-player multi-class, I'll be happy for a long while.

The version of RaceRoom that we play is another build of that same software and yes is still running on DX9. The way I see it these constant comments of DX11 / UE4 everytime there's an announcement are a bit pointless.

The guys in Sweden are aware of the complaints and are I'm sure doing what they can to add whatever features they can based on the tools they have available. RaceRoom is a bit of a special case though, or at least that's how I see it, and I don't see the point in the repeated engine update comments.

The idea is to provide feedback to the devs about what their customers and potential market are looking for in their product. Employees at more than a few companies cruise these forums.

Repeated posts from varied sources ought to help confirm to the devs that this is actually a widespread desire in their market and that they should take it seriously.

Failure to note sentiment and make appropriate corrections will result in the reputation that SimBin/Sector 3 have today, which is to say, a poor one in the simulation community(*).

*I actually like SimBin/Sector 3 but I can admit their product shortcomings.

The idea is to provide feedback to the devs about what their customers and potential market are looking for in their product. Employees at more than a few companies cruise these forums.

Repeated posts from varied sources ought to help confirm to the devs that this is actually a widespread desire in their market and that they should take it seriously.

Failure to note sentiment and make appropriate corrections will result in the reputation that SimBin/Sector 3 have today, which is to say, a poor one in the simulation community(*).

*I actually like SimBin/Sector 3 but I can admit their product shortcomings.
Indeed and they have their own Sector3 forums and Steam Community pages as well. Georg plays several games on his channel and is up for trying everything that comes out it seems so they're up to speed on what's available for sure. RaceRoom is an interesting one for sure...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%