Cayman Cup Update Coming in Next RaceRoom Build Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
R3E Cayman Update 4.jpg

Sector3 Studios have confirmed the much anticipated physics and livery update for the already in sim Cayman GT4 Clubsport will arrive as part of the next big R3E update.

Having released back in December with just the single generic livery, the GT4 Porsche Cayman always felt a little bit under loved by the development team, with many fans crying out for the livery pack update to the car that was promised, but had failed to materialise in the months following release.

However that is about to change, Sector3 Studios having today confirmed that the Cayman will indeed be getting a nice set of shiny new paint schemes from the 2018 VLN Series (plus select 2017 versions), alongside what is promised to be a rather tasty physics update to the popular if rather flighty little car.

R3E Cayman Update 3.jpg

On the visuals front, the category formally known as the Cayman GT4 Clubsport Trophy will now be rebadged as Manthey Racing Cayman Trophy to reflect the new partnership, and will come complete with no less than 17 new real world liveries from the series.

On the physics side of things, Sector3 have also confirmed the Cayman has undergone what has been described as a "substantial" physics update, aided by the support of sim racing driver and real world VLN champion Moritz Kranz, the German racer helping with advice and guidance as Sector3 Studios look to add more finishing touches to this highly addictive racing car.

The next major build update for RaceRoom Racing Experience is expected to release within the coming weeks.

R3E Cayman Update 1.jpg
R3E Cayman Update 2.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a free to play racing simulation from Sector3 Studios.

If you like RaceRoom and want to keep up to date with all the latest news and discussions, head on over to the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum. We host a whole range of top quality club racing events in our Racing Club, plus we offer a great place to hang out and discuss the game with your fellow R3E fans. Pop over and say hello today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to the upcoming R3E update? Excited to try out the new Cayman? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
The next update, is the UE4 build?
Extremely unlikely to the point where "absolutely not" is probably the right answer to your question. UE4 is only supposed to become an option to consider after GTR3 is released, not before. There was some talk about them considering the move to DX11 before UE4 becomes an option, but even that is very unlikely to come that soon.

I love the Porsche Cayman GT4, which I purchased as soon as it was available. It will be nice to race against other liveries, YAY!!!

On the DX11 "issue". I think RE3 looks great with the old DX9, which I find incredible. Their tracks look amazing. If they do upgrade to DX11 I can only imagine it will look even better.

Last edited:
I love the Porsche Cayman GT4, which I purchased as soon as it was available. It will be nice to race against other liveries, YAY!!!

On the DX11 "issue". I think RE3 looks great with the old DX9, which I find incredible, Their tracks look amazing. If they do upgrade to DX11 I can only imagine it will only look even better.
yeah, fingers crossed...:geek:

Give us a CARFILTER Pleeeeeeeease!!! :sleep:
it's coming very soon!!!

J-F Chardon said:
I'd rather leave that to @Georg Ortner to decide when to reveal information about what cars are coming out and when.

What I can say about GT3 is that the wishes for AI filters (so you can have AI only race the current models for example) will be satisfied in the coming months at last. Also I do have eyes out on the new GT3 models being announced and released and wouldn't want to stop updating our most popular car class.

I think it would be good if they could give us Dynamic Track Surface and Dynamic Weather for ex. (rubber, dirt, light rain, day<>night transition, etc...)

Ice, snow (pouring) rain, light bolts and the likes (eye-candy fireworks) are a bit overrated I think, as in real life, in such conditions usually there is no race at all. Its nice to show off your new graphics card but not much else:cautious:

it's coming very soon!!!

What I can say about GT3 is that the wishes for AI filters (so you can have AI only race the current models for example) will be satisfied in the coming months at last.

Your understanding of "in the coming months" is quite optimistic :p

It's funny that people say "R3E is fine now looks fine now with DX9", and then loads of items on their wishlist pretty much requires a new engine...

RR does look fine as it is currently. You are missing the point of what was being said.

For it to look better than it does currently, a new engine would be needed, as this graphics engine has been on its last legs for years.

It's funny that people say "R3E is fine now looks fine now with DX9", and then loads of items on their wishlist pretty much requires a new engine...
You are right Shijie, but these are two different things entirely.
I like the looks in R3E as it is (A), but WISH it had some graphical enhancements (B) that would add to the realism already - and that - as you point out - requires a new engine. OK with that.
I just hope they dont go the "eye-candy" route and ruin the way it is now. But please, Im all in favour of progress.
You can allways improve things. Go for it Sector3!
And btw, returning to the topic on the post, I WISH that the Cayman is the door opening for GT4 Series. Now that would be nice:)

You are missing the point of what was being said.
No I think it is you who missed what have been actually done by Sector3, how much artwork and time-consuming tweaking they've done, and the actual limitation of the engine.
I like the looks in R3E as it is (A), but WISH it had some graphical enhancements (B)
This is what you said:
I think it would be good if they could give us Dynamic Track Surface and Dynamic Weather for ex. (rubber, dirt, light rain, day<>night transition, etc...)
These are not the "eye-candy" stuff you mentioned in the paragraph that follows, and these are hard if ever possible in the current setting. Dynamic day time would be a huge amount of rework - if ever possible with current engine, not to mention the day night transition that you wish.

The more you look into these games that started years and years ago, you will realize the limitations these games inherently possess, and you will understand what kind of great job these devs are doing when they try out things with to the limitation of the game engine - it's almost like they are doing their job with their hands tied.

I may appear to be a strange UE4 proponent on this forum recently, seemingly "blaming" devs not switching to UE4. I am not. I am trying to think of ways to save devs time and effort in the long run, when people in this community have been badly wishing for things that are beyond the capability of the engine, or pushing the engine to the extremes.

BTW I have not been able to have good experience (especially performance-wise) with ACC on UE4, but my personal opinion is that it is a good choice that Kunos made the decision to go UE4 as soon as they could, bearing the blames from so many people in this community.

Regarding upgrading the graphics engine, SimBin/Sector 3 need to realize their mistake with GTR2 and all the sequels: They didn't keep building on the existing graphics engine and features. In fact, they removed key features that we've been screaming for ever since, namely, day/night cycle and weather. They had these features, spread across different games! Some, like Race 07's windshield rain effects, hold up visually, still.

I wouldn't even care if the R3E graphics engine never migrated to UE4 or DX11 as long as they would just realize their previous mistakes and start adding and maintaining and not removing key simulation features.

GTR2 proves, 12 years on, to this day, that the atmosphere created by day/night and rain still works on a surprisingly pleasing aesthetic level, even on its old engine.

Here's hoping they have realized this and will do the smart thing going forward with GTR3. If that bombs, please just update the old engine with features, it could have a good long life, just like GTR2.

..............., SimBin/Sector 3 need to realize their mistake with GTR2 and all the sequels: They didn't keep building on the existing graphics engine and features.

I would like a article on this, ask each developer where they see sims in 10 years

Can't see how any of them could honestly say they rather all titles have
different physics, tyre modelling for another decade

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

Votes: 114 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,069 90.4%
Back