Cayman Cup Update Coming in Next RaceRoom Build Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
R3E Cayman Update 4.jpg

Sector3 Studios have confirmed the much anticipated physics and livery update for the already in sim Cayman GT4 Clubsport will arrive as part of the next big R3E update.

Having released back in December with just the single generic livery, the GT4 Porsche Cayman always felt a little bit under loved by the development team, with many fans crying out for the livery pack update to the car that was promised, but had failed to materialise in the months following release.

However that is about to change, Sector3 Studios having today confirmed that the Cayman will indeed be getting a nice set of shiny new paint schemes from the 2018 VLN Series (plus select 2017 versions), alongside what is promised to be a rather tasty physics update to the popular if rather flighty little car.

R3E Cayman Update 3.jpg

On the visuals front, the category formally known as the Cayman GT4 Clubsport Trophy will now be rebadged as Manthey Racing Cayman Trophy to reflect the new partnership, and will come complete with no less than 17 new real world liveries from the series.

On the physics side of things, Sector3 have also confirmed the Cayman has undergone what has been described as a "substantial" physics update, aided by the support of sim racing driver and real world VLN champion Moritz Kranz, the German racer helping with advice and guidance as Sector3 Studios look to add more finishing touches to this highly addictive racing car.

The next major build update for RaceRoom Racing Experience is expected to release within the coming weeks.

R3E Cayman Update 1.jpg
R3E Cayman Update 2.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a free to play racing simulation from Sector3 Studios.

If you like RaceRoom and want to keep up to date with all the latest news and discussions, head on over to the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum. We host a whole range of top quality club racing events in our Racing Club, plus we offer a great place to hang out and discuss the game with your fellow R3E fans. Pop over and say hello today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to the upcoming R3E update? Excited to try out the new Cayman? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Good new for you; I've been working on a new tyre model.
Great to see physics being worked on, as I too felt that way about R3E. Thank you for your work, and the sounds are fantastic in R3E. Is the focus mainly on physics? Or is the objective to be closer to AMS as far as tyre model and features etc?

I think all sim developers are rock stars;) But please do something about the pricing!!!

Or is the objective to be closer to AMS as far as tyre model and features etc?

Kinda of hard to replicate a tire model from another game that uses different code and features ;)

RE3 doesn't have user adjustable tire pressure, flat spotting, multiple compounds outside the the formula X car, dynamic tracks or visual tire degration at this point.

Hopefully the move to the UE4 in the future will bring these features to the title.

Last edited:
Hopefully the move to the UE4 in the future will bring these features to the title.
Physics and graphics being disconnected, I would not expected anything from the move to the unreal engine. On the contrary I prefer sector3 focuses on new features instead of waisting time on a graphical enhancement. Better graphics for the same game won't bring anything, just a waste of money. New major features without graphical enhancement is much more interesting for sim racers in my opinion. As an example, I would not like raceroom more if it had new graphics tomorrow, but for sure I would use it a lot more if it had a rain feature tomorrow.

Physics and graphics being disconnected, I would not expected anything from the move to the unreal engine. On the contrary I prefer sector3 focuses on new features instead of waisting time on a graphical enhancement. Better graphics for the same game won't bring anything, just a waste of money. New major features without graphical enhancement is much more interesting for sim racers in my opinion. As an example, I would not like raceroom more if it had new graphics tomorrow, but for sure I would use it a lot more if it had a rain feature tomorrow.

The move to a new engine ex. UE4 will allow for more features to be added not just graphics enhancements as the current engine I believe is tapped out.

Ex.
DX11
Dynamic Weather
Time of day with day to night transition
Dynamic track temps and rubbering
Loose surface physics and deformation.....not 100% sure?

would you be able to introduce some brake feel too? currently there is zero feel on the brakes, no indication of abs kicking in and zero feel of locking up

From my (real world) experience the sensation of a lockup is that a car will deviate from where the front wheels are pointed. So it won't turn in if it's a front lockup, or the rear wheels will snatch if it's at the other end. I don't think cars are currently totally wrong in that aspect, but with recent developments there's certainly some improvement to be felt in that area.
As for ABS kicking in, that'd need a FFB brake pedal to simulate the pulses. Not sure if there are any/many on the market? Would be something cool to look at though.

From my (real world) experience the sensation of a lockup is that a car will deviate from where the front wheels are pointed. So it won't turn in if it's a front lockup, or the rear wheels will snatch if it's at the other end. I don't think cars are currently totally wrong in that aspect, but with recent developments there's certainly some improvement to be felt in that area.
As for ABS kicking in, that'd need a FFB brake pedal to simulate the pulses. Not sure if there are any/many on the market? Would be something cool to look at though.

all other games use the ffb in the wheel to simulate abs kicking in, it works very well in other sims, as for locking up i agree there no real feel, it was more the abs i want to feel

Is the focus mainly on physics? Or is the objective to be closer to AMS as far as tyre model and features etc?

My focus is mainly on physics; I'm the physics developer. I do also get involved in AI and some other stuff which is in the pipeline.

From my point of view, I look at what happens on a real car, I feel it for myself, I gather data, then I go about replicating it in R3E. There are a few misconceptions about what our tyre model can and can't do so I'll just lay down a few facts.
  • Tyre pressures are there, alive and kicking in the background, just not adjustable for the user at the moment.
  • Most R3E series use a single compound, as the real-world series they represent specify only one compound is allowed.
  • Our tyres react to flex and load (which is a real headache to work on btw) they just don't project it on the 3D model.
  • Flat spots are annoying and frustrating to deal with in real-life, however they're something that happens, so maybe we're thinking about it.

My focus is mainly on physics; I'm the physics developer. I do also get involved in AI and some other stuff which is in the pipeline.

From my point of view, I look at what happens on a real car, I feel it for myself, I gather data, then I go about replicating it in R3E. There are a few misconceptions about what our tyre model can and can't do so I'll just lay down a few facts.
  • Tyre pressures are there, alive and kicking in the background, just not adjustable for the user at the moment.
  • Most R3E series use a single compound, as the real-world series they represent specify only one compound is allowed.
  • Our tyres react to flex and load (which is a real headache to work on btw) they just don't project it on the 3D model.
  • Flat spots are annoying and frustrating to deal with in real-life, however they're something that happens, so maybe we're thinking about it.
Thank you very much for responding! Good luck with the work your doing. I'm looking forward to checking out the results. (xmas sale maybe?) AI is a pain to work on from what I understand and have read from other developers, but is so important as a lot of us play offline for the most part.

Alex Hodgkinson said:

"My focus is mainly on physics; I'm the physics developer. I do also get involved in AI and some other stuff which is in the pipeline".

Hopefully hear that you are working in the AI, it is very complicated and annoying now to play offline, they should find a solution to the AI aggression and the "braking very early or very late".

We look forward to the improvements

The move to a new engine ex. UE4 will allow for more features to be added not just graphics enhancements as the current engine I believe is tapped out.

Ex.
DX11
Dynamic Weather
Only the developpers can tell what is possible or not in this engine but as it is a gmotor based engine (if I'm not wrong), it may be assumed that rain and day cycle can be implemented.

The physics still being improved is a great piece of news though.

Ex.
DX11
Dynamic Weather

Again, I do hope they are not going to switch to UE4, unless it contains proper triple screen support by then. AFAIK it is not possible now.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%