Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

It takes time to adjust to. I haven't driven in VR in months. I've been trying to iron out some stutters here and there with it, and since the move downstairs it's been disconnected completely. This is also going from triples to a single larger screen now. I've adjusted. I've raced for lengths of time (month or two) without the motion even being on, at times. You feel weird initially but after a little while it becomes 'normal' again. Meaning, you adapt to what you expect to feel and aren't suprised by it, whether it's the motion or the VR. I've been running the motion on for the best part of a month now, non stop, apart from when I've been testing Simvibe and SSW. Definitely feel it when I've forgotten to activate a certain profile for whatever sim I am in and no motion occurs.

Upvote 0
I think next time I lube the NLv3 joints I'll use a drop of a light summer synthetic bike lube.

I have some bike chain lube, it's called C3 ceramic lube. I think I bought it for the CSP V3's when I had them, to alleviate the binding of the foam in the brake pedal. Someone suggested it and I've had a little bottle ever since. I try to use that whenever I don't want to make a mess so what you say makes sense. It's probably a good choice for the arms and ball joints on the V3. As they move, they would spread it wherever it needs to go, I suppose. The spray with a nozzle is pretty preceise although depending if you can get the can in there semi upright or not, it might not come out properly. Plus, the wet silicon as opposed to the 'dry' silicon is pretty wet. Good for lubing, not great for dripping and seeping into other parts once applied.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately NLR wants me to ship the entire unit to their warehouse in Poland.

Good thing i kept the original box, which makes sending it a lot easier, but because of the weight it's gonna be pretty expensive.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately NLR wants me to ship the entire unit to their warehouse in Poland.

Good thing i kept the original box, which makes sending it a lot easier, but because of the weight it's gonna be pretty expensive.
That sucks! Are they paying the postage? They should if it's still under warranty. If not, I think I'd insist on sending it to their UK address for them to forward on. I can't imagine how expensive it'll be to send it to Poland..!
(I'm assuming you're UK based - apologies if I'm wrong)

One of the reasons I bought mine from Amazon (apart from they were the cheapest) is because of the returns policy.

Upvote 0
I think i have to pay for the entire shipping cost which is 65 euro's from the Netherlands to Poland.

I rather would have the option to open up the unit and see what the problem is, but any way it will take up 2-3 day before i get the shipping info, than it will take another 3-4 days until the unit arrives in the warehouse. They estimate a 4-5 days repair duration and then they have to ship it back to me again.

So with the down time i already have, we're looking a 3-4 weeks minimum. Since the whole race rig is build around the NLMv3, adjusting it temporary to continue racing is not an option either.

This problem happened to me the first time i got in the rig coming back from holiday, so by the time i'm backup running again it's been around 6 weeks since i raced for the last time. (which sucks A LOT )

Upvote 0
I think i have to pay for the entire shipping cost which is 65 euro's from the Netherlands to Poland.

I rather would have the option to open up the unit and see what the problem is, but any way it will take up 2-3 day before i get the shipping info, than it will take another 3-4 days until the unit arrives in the warehouse. They estimate a 4-5 days repair duration and then they have to ship it back to me again.

So with the down time i already have, we're looking a 3-4 weeks minimum. Since the whole race rig is build around the NLMv3, adjusting it temporary to continue racing is not an option either.

This problem happened to me the first time i got in the rig coming back from holiday, so by the time i'm backup running again it's been around 6 weeks since i raced for the last time. (which sucks A LOT )
Is it still under warranty? If so, postage should be paid by the vendor.

Upvote 0
Could I get a small vid from one of you - Mascot? - of when you are driving in VR - so all sound being piped into headset natch? I'm curious about the amount of movements, and sounds. I have my own gameroom where my GT1 rig is - but am just curious about noise levels etc.

Here I am just getting to the point where I'm loving VR with a buttkicker, and now I'm thinking about DD and motion. Good grief ! ;)

Apologies if someone has done this previously.

I'm pondering going to the 2018 SimExpo at the nordschliefe as I'd like to try higher end wheels and rigs etc, but also motion systems. Oh, and of course, the Blancpain GT3 ...

Upvote 0
Could I get a small vid from one of you - Mascot? - of when you are driving in VR - so all sound being piped into headset natch? I'm curious about the amount of movements, and sounds. I have my own gameroom where my GT1 rig is - but am just curious about noise levels etc.

Here I am just getting to the point where I'm loving VR with a buttkicker, and now I'm thinking about DD and motion. Good grief ! ;)

Apologies if someone has done this previously.

I'm pondering going to the 2018 SimExpo at the nordschliefe as I'd like to try higher end wheels and rigs etc, but also motion systems. Oh, and of course, the Blancpain GT3 ...
I've got a problem with uploading to my YouTube account at the moment but I *think* there are some good videos on there already. Some might have been linked in this thread? The NLv3 isn't silent, but I don't hear it at all over the engine noise when playing (I have a 5.1 amp set for good atmosphere, but not ridiculously loud). Noise isn't really an issue with this unit under normal circumstances.
I'll see what I can find Colin.

Upvote 0
I don’t think there are any motion rig videos with audio blocked out with headphones. It’s really quite annoying actually especially in videos where it’s speficially showing noise levels, what’s the point of all you can hear is game audio?!

Upvote 0
I don’t think there are any motion rig videos with audio blocked out with headphones. It’s really quite annoying actually especially in videos where it’s speficially showing noise levels, what’s the point of all you can hear is game audio?!
I can vaguely remember one and I'm on a mission now to track it down. I know it sounded a LOT louder in the video than it does in real life - the camera (and mic) were pretty much gynecologically inserted into the mechanism.

It's not this video but it's a start

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm not worried about the noise getting into my headphones - I can't hear my buttkicker when using the VR headset, but I was more thinking about the noise the platform would make for the house, I guess.

I've been watching the new Trakracer actuators which could potentially move my whole rig, rather than the seat, but can't decide if that's just too much and too hard, and the NLV3 is pretty compact.

Hence thinking about the SimExpo, where I could maybe try a few different solutions...

Upvote 0
Found it. It should start at the correct time stamp too (edit: it won't).

Nope, won't work on embedded videos. Go to 1:07:35

The whole video is worth watching as it explains in good detail what the various settings do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hoi that sucks. Shipping that unit for a regular home user is expensive. I am sure that companies get much better rates to ship their stuff seeing as they'd ship many units. It would be a good compromise to get them to organise shipping and get you to pay for it. It would be cheaper than regular post from a single person and they still wouldn't have to pay for it. I can understand how companies wouldn't cover postage in warranty. I've had video cards fail and no postage was covered to return to them, but they paid to ship it back. Sort of meet you half way. Others offer to pay full postage costs. It just depends.

Colin, I can give you a rough idea. I used to have my rig across the hall from my master bedroom. I could run motion most of the day without issues, but when the wife went to bed, I'd turn it off. Granted, I would also not race at all, as the wheel makes noise too, especially on curbs etc. So I'd say if you're THAT close to sleeping house members, I'd look for another place if you plan to race at night. Motion or not.

Upvote 0
Thanks Anthony - I'm downstairs and actually sort of out of the main block of the house into an extension. I may get away with it yet ! (of course I've now got to find some ££'s!)

Upvote 0
I'd agree with Anton that it creates no more vibrational noise than a strong FFB wheel.
I think you'd be absolutely fine in a downstairs room Colin, especially on (I assume) a concrete floor.
The rubber feet on my P1 rig help a lot too.

Upvote 0
Yep I am downstairs myself now too and it's awesome. I can run everything as if it was the middle of the day no worries. Tactile, motion, everything. I use earbuds while driving so audio isn't an issue. Probably the worst thing would be a sub running but I don't need to use that so the little noise that the platform does make is a non issue.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea