Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

I think review kit pretty much always gets sent out for free.

Shaun wouldn't say it was great if it wasn't though - he's pretty fair and honest - in the past I've seen him slate stuff...

Upvote 0
Off topic:whistling: but watch this:
Now go ahead, pull that 25 out of the shed again in AC or PC, and enjoy the emotional ride.

On topic, has anybody tried the new laser scanned Sebring track in rFactor 2 with the NLV3? I've been enjoying the sh*t out of it even with my basic FFB setup, can't wait to try it with NLV3 soon. Would love to see Nordschleife and Spa scanned too... rFactor 2 physics are just perfect. BTW how is the NLV3 with rF2? Does it play well?

Upvote 0
Firstly, I hate everyone in this thread because of your relentless attacks on my savings. Steve being the worst for letting me try his rig to the point I feel that without motion, the experience just isn’t complete.

With that said, I think it’s time to add a NLR V3 to the rig and finish it off proper.

For an engineering idiot, what is the least painful method of getting brackets for the P1 for a sunken mount? Basically, if I end up having to file and drill, we are probably looking at a fair amount of duct tape and globs of glue afterwards.

I noticed that the units haven’t been in stock for a while. Are we looking at a revision coming out soon or just a stocking issue?

Upvote 0
Firstly, I hate everyone in this thread because of your relentless attacks on my savings. Steve being the worst for letting me try his rig to the point I feel that without motion, the experience just isn’t complete.

With that said, I think it’s time to add a NLR V3 to the rig and finish it off proper.

For an engineering idiot, what is the least painful method of getting brackets for the P1 for a sunken mount? Basically, if I end up having to file and drill, we are probably looking at a fair amount of duct tape and globs of glue afterwards.

I noticed that the units haven’t been in stock for a while. Are we looking at a revision coming out soon or just a stocking issue?
Good man, and welcome to The Brotherhood. :p

Re a sunken mounting in the P1, all the hard work's been done for you and it's well documented (with sketches and photos) in this thread. :)

It really is a piece of piss and has been proven to work (and work well) by at least a couple of us. Whether you need to file the NLV3 seat mounts will depend on your seat, but it's dead quick to do. Bagging up the NLV3 and masking taping any remaining exposed bits took longer than the actual filing, but it's an hour tops, start to finish. The two brackets are just from standard aluminium angle (4" x 2" x 1/4" x 500mm long) from eBay that the seller will probably be happy to cut into two 250mm lengths for you. Drilling them is easy with a power drill (no pillar drill required, it's aluminium).

No globs of glue required! :)

Hit me up with any specific queries and I'll be glad to help, but if you read this thread from a couple of months ago onwards then you'll soon grasp what's involved and what you need.

There's no word about a replacement for the NLV3 but stock shortages have apparently been a bit cyclic during the life of this unit. Stock does seem to be low (or non-existent) for a while now though. Maybe give NL a call or drop them a query at https://www.nextlevelracing.com/support/ ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good man, and welcome to The Brotherhood. :p

Re a sunken mounting in the P1, all the hard work's been done for you and it's well documented (with sketches and photos) in this thread. :)

It really is a piece of piss and has been proven to work (and work well) by at least a couple of us. Whether you need to file the NLV3 seat mounts will depend on your seat, but it's dead quick to do. Bagging up the NLV3 and masking taping any remaining exposed bits took longer than the actual filing, but it's an hour tops, start to finish. The two brackets are just from standard aluminium angle (4" x 2" x 1/4" x 500mm long) from eBay that the seller will probably be happy to cut into two 250mm lengths for you. Drilling them is easy with a power drill (no pillar drill required, it's aluminium).

No globs of glue required! :)

Hit me up with any specific queries and I'll be glad to help, but if you read this thread from a couple of months ago onwards then you'll soon grasp what's involved and what you need.

There's no word about a replacement for the NLV3 but stock shortages have apparently been a bit cyclic during the life of this unit. Stock does seem to be low (or non-existent) for a while now though. Maybe give NL a call or drop them a query at https://www.nextlevelracing.com/support/ ?

Thanks a ton for all the details! I did have a read through the thread but I easily get lost with schematics and such.

I have a sparco EVOII with a universal mount on the P1. I won't be using a seat slider or anything. I suppose I'll have to wait and see what needs filing.

As for the brackets: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminiu...inum+bracket+4"+x+2"+x+1/4"+x+500mm+long.TRS0

Would those work? and I would basically ask the seller to cut them to the specs and send them your schematic for reference.

Will the screws that come with the NLR and the left overs from the P1 suffice or I need to go get some specific ones?

Last question: https://www.box.co.uk/Next-Level-Racing-Motion-Platform-V3_2070105.html These guys are the only ones who seem to have it in stock. I've never heard of them. Anyone have experience?

Upvote 0
Thanks a ton for all the details! I did have a read through the thread but I easily get lost with schematics and such.

I have a sparco EVOII with a universal mount on the P1. I won't be using a seat slider or anything. I suppose I'll have to wait and see what needs filing.

As for the brackets: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Extruded-Angle-Various-Sizes-Thickness-2-6-mm-500-to-3000-mm-LONG/253214802281?hash=item3af4c74169:m:maujjLW4gUIg5K5fUD8-xNA&var=552319727491&_sacat=0&_nkw=aluminum+bracket+4"+x+2"+x+1/4"+x+500mm+long&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xaluminum+bracket+4"+x+2"+x+1/4"+x+500mm+long.TRS0

Would those work? and I would basically ask the seller to cut them to the specs and send them your schematic for reference.

Will the screws that come with the NLR and the left overs from the P1 suffice or I need to go get some specific ones?

Last question: https://www.box.co.uk/Next-Level-Racing-Motion-Platform-V3_2070105.html These guys are the only ones who seem to have it in stock. I've never heard of them. Anyone have experience?

Your eBay link takes me to a generic page, but as long as the aluminium is 4"x2"x1/4" (or a close metric equivalent) then you should be good to go. I'd personally be inclined to drill the angle myself, but that's just me. @Steve D fitted his angle tight up against his V3 which worked well (I used a couple of washers each side, which aren't really necessary) but the holes in the top flange need to line up with the channel in the side rails of the P1, so measuring your own rig is a good idea (or dropping your V3 in with the angle attached and marking the actual hole centres to suit).

I used new buttonhead socket screws for the side fixings (3 per side) that were 10mm longer than the supplied screws to account for the 6.4mm thick angle and additional washers. You'd need to check the engagement of the supplied screws and make a judgment as to whether there's still appropriate thread engagement.

box.co.uk are safe enough to buy from I think. I don't think I've bought from there myself but know people who have. They seem to be the cheapest with stock at the moment. Check the web for any discount codes or vouchers and/or cashback deals with them first if you do decide to buy from there.

Upvote 0
Your eBay link takes me to a generic page, but as long as the aluminium is 4"x2"x1/4" (or a close metric equivalent) then you should be good to go. I'd personally be inclined to drill the angle myself, but that's just me. @Steve D fitted his angle tight up against his V3 which worked well (I used a couple of washers each side, which aren't really necessary) but the holes in the top flange need to line up with the channel in the side rails of the P1, so measuring your own rig is a good idea (or dropping your V3 in with the angle attached and marking the actual hole centres to suit).

I used new buttonhead socket screws for the side fixings (3 per side) that were 10mm longer than the supplied screws to account for the 6.4mm thick angle and additional washers. You'd need to check the engagement of the supplied screws and make a judgment as to whether there's still appropriate thread engagement.

box.co.uk are safe enough to buy from I think. I don't think I've bought from there myself but know people who have. They seem to be the cheapest with stock at the moment. Check the web for any discount codes or vouchers and/or cashback deals with them first if you do decide to buy from there.

They only seem to have 100mm x 50mm x 5mm at that ebay address, do you think 5mm will be strong enough? Where did you find the 6.4mm angles?

Upvote 0
They only seem to have 100mm x 50mm x 5mm at that ebay address, do you think 5mm will be strong enough? Where did you find the 6.4mm angles?
The seller I bought from seems to have stopped, but I'm sure 100x50x5mm would be more than strong enough. For many years aluminium was always traditionally only available in imperial sizes, but metric close-equivalents seem to be increasingly common now. My brackets were 1/4" thick because that just 'felt' about right. I was originally going to spec 1/8" thick but after feeling the heft of the NLV3 I'm glad I went with 1/4" just for added peace of mind, even if it's overkill. 5mm thick should be absolutely fine, that's still a really strong section. The support brackets that NL supply with the unit are much thinner than that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 28 20.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 25 17.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 15 10.7%