Automobilista 2 | New Update Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have deployed yet another new update for their Automobilista 2 racing simulation - adding plenty of nice improvements and fixes on their journey towards V1.0 release status.

In this latest build release, Reiza Studios have looked to address a few of the issues that cropped up post 0.9.6.1, as well as continuing the planned developments ahead of the simulation moving away from Early Access. Notable changes for this latest build include limited wiper animations for a number of cars, and some visual changes to the trackside signage on the circuits used throughout the Brazilian StockCar Series.

V0.9.7.0 Update Notes:

GENERAL

• Added custom pit speed limits per series regulations; baseline is 60km/h for national & club series, 100km/h for modern Formulas, 250 km/h for Historical content
  • Corrected series / class grouping and grouping within series so different models are sorted in the grid (when series feature cars of different classes) or randomized (when they are of the same class)
  • Disabled visual ghost effect in pit lane and pit exit

UI & HUD
  • Fixed vehicle info for F-Classic G3M1, G3M3, MRX

PHYSICS
  • Revised adhesive friction curve with velocity for all tyres
  • Reduced wheel contact factor (reduces chances of "exploding" collisions with wheel-to-wheel contact)
  • Fixed minor tread width innacuracies in F-Classic, F-Trainer tyres
  • Further areo revisions to MRX, F-3, F-V12, Ultima GTR (Road)
  • Further car-specific FFB fine tuning (max force, smoothing, scrub radius)
  • Further engine inertia revisions

AI
  • Reduced AI front buffer distances (AI is slightly less tentative when a pack of cars is ahead)
  • Reduced AI lifting off the throttle over puddles
  • Reduced wall check function (AI is less tentative when driving close to walls)
  • Reduced ranges for AI drivers inconsistency & performance loss from stamina over longer races
  • Adjust AI steer smoothing to improve pitlane mobility
  • Adjusted AI Grip multipliers for Velopark, Adelaide, Azure, Montreal, Londrina

AUDIO
  • Fixed AI engine sound position being on wrong side for seevral all cars.
  • Added dedicated sound effect for grasscrete material
  • Fixed odd ducking of sounds over curbs, lessened crackling on tyre sound effects
  • Improved sound in stereo mode
  • Replay onboard engine audio properly positioned.
  • Starting sound correctly positioned

TRACKS
  • Added Stock Car series trackside advertising for tracks in the 2019/2020 calendar

VEHICLES
  • Added wiper animations for Ultima GTR, Stock Car V8, Super V8, Sprint Race, Caterham Academy, Lancer Cup (WIP)
  • Fixed driver animation for F-Trainer
  • F-Reiza: Fixed bug restricting field to a single livery

Notes from the developers:

Another housekeeping update with Automobilista 2 now hitting v0.9.7.0, ticking off some more remaining must-haves for official release and rectifying a couple of errors from v0.9.6.1 released earlier in the week.

There are a couple of WIP developments in this build to take note of - while several cars now have working wipers, several others still don´t and the wiper animations does not yet quite match the water being wiped from the windscreen. This is just a result of the work here not being quite finished as of v0.9.7.0, all cars will feature fully functioning wipers in time for v1.0 release.

Another unfinished development is the placing of actual sponsors for the trackside advertising - only the ones in the Brazilian Stock Car calendar have received these updates so far, with all other tracks still to be updated with proper trackside ads for V1.0 release.

Original Source: Reiza Studios.

Automobilista 2 is available now on Steam Early Access.

Want advice on getting the best from AMS2? Start a thread in the Automobilista 2 sub forum and ask our community!

AMS 2 Update Notes.jpg

Last edited:
So it's the way people digest opinions that is the issue, not the opinions themselves.

I agree completely. Anyone who gets their information from a single source, or, worst still, reads a thread title without reading the full content, deserves to be disappointed. Sadly, so many people today don’t seem to be prepared to do the research before buying things.

M D Gourley

Premium
So it's the way people digest opinions that is the issue, not the opinions themselves.
Agree.....but ultimately in the end I can read every opinion that is negative or positive and it is not really going to sway my personal experience of Reiza's AMS2 as I know Reiza will nail it from the experiences I have had from past Sims they have developed....however, if I was coming in fresh with no experience of Reiza Studios 'awesomeness' and was very particular in what I liked I could nit pick any / all new Sims based on my experiences of what I liked.
'Sim Racing is an Individual Pursuit'

"Sim Racing is an Individual Pursuit'

Yes very much !!

I like what Reiza does and done in the past,

dont know if there were software before GSC.

First impression i got in rFactor, the Formula 1 Armaroli - Mod, this was a good impression.

Will see, if the implementation tyre and brake wear like in AMS1 (Boxer-Cup for example)

and than Test the Tire in Cascavel (particular first curve)

Or brakes in Imola :).

Yes - Reiza have enough experience with the ISI-Engine-2,
know step to this,
will hope that the Tyre + Brake - Temp will be dynamic, like the very difficult mods for AMS and the Boxer-Cup in AMS for example.

- Better damage-model with vertex - Deformation etc.

Today its a good decision for people with new hardware ( here not, in the future ?)

Yeah any kind of weather at this point is a killer, at least in VR. Also night and after the sun is below the horizon it turns into a slide show. Nearly halves my FPS and I am running a 2080ti. Hope they can optimize it.

Remember me on 2006 with GTR2 :).
Wait 14 Years and than possible the Hardware give more fps :).

Sorry - its typical for Racinggames with a little physic-touch and ffb, but i think the look and immersion - Ambiente is very nice.

Yeah any kind of weather at this point is a killer, at least in VR. Also night and after the sun is below the horizon it turns into a slide show. Nearly halves my FPS and I am running a 2080ti. Hope they can optimize it.
Glad I read this before purchasing.
Really hope they will look into supporting Nvidia SPS and VRSS.
For me SPS has helped greatly in iracing on heavy resourceful parts of the track.
Adding sharpening would be helpful too and less resource hungry than PC2 in-game SS.
Also whatever tech AMD's equivalent is.
Looking forward to this title, but I think I'll continue hold off till the Dirt DLC is released, let the title mature more and see if any performance is made on the VR side.

Adding sharpening would be helpful too...
Sharpening is already in. Granted you need to tweak an xml file, but it's not hard and it works. Minimal performance impact on my modest rig.

let the title mature more and see if any performance is made on the VR side.
VR performance is already very good, better than any other racing sim I currently play. The people above are saying performance drops with weather effects, or at times of day that greatly increase the size and number of shadows being drawn. That's true, but is also true of every other sim... and most other VR and non-VR games... out there. I'm not sure what people think Reiza are going to do about this common issue, other than perhaps giving us more refined graphics options to turn things down.

Sharpening is already in. Granted you need to tweak an xml file, but it's not hard and it works. Minimal performance impact on my modest rig.

VR performance is already very good, better than any other racing sim I currently play. The people above are saying performance drops with weather effects, or at times of day that greatly increase the size and number of shadows being drawn. That's true, but is also true of every other sim... and most other VR and non-VR games... out there. I'm not sure what people think Reiza are going to do about this common issue, other than perhaps giving us more refined graphics options to turn things down.
I don't wanna start a battle of who does what better...owning all the sims minus this one, when I am comparing VR performance and clarity I've found iracing to be the best, it may not be the flashiest graphics.
BUT without Nvidia SPS it's performance starts to struggle when transitioning to night, heavy clouds etc.
Hence why I hope Reiza incorporate those options along with a simple in-game check box for sharpening as I don't and sure others would rather have that than editing files.
PC1 &2 both had Nvidia as a partner....not sure if AMS2 does ?

Edit: Nvidia VRSS option ....all the devs have to do is contact Nvidia to have the game added to the list of supported titles

Last edited:

The sharpening works VERY well in AMS2, so much in fact that it looks as sharp as iRacing does, which I thought I would never say. I will agree with the fact that all sims struggle with weather and night, but some do it better than others. I get maybe a 10% drop at night in iRacing, instead of 50% in AMS2. Weather I get, and I am fine without it to be honest. It is a cool feature, but I have been racing 20 years mostly without it, so I can wait a bit longer.

Clear weather and during the daylight in AMS2 runs as good as any sim out there in VR and looks as good or better than the rest. Just a shame, b/c the lighting at dusk and at night looks amazing in AMS2.

I don't wanna start a battle of who does what better...owning all the sims minus this one, when I am comparing VR performance and clarity I've found iracing to be the best, it may not be the flashiest graphics.
Neither do I, but you've kind of answered your own point there. iRacing doesn't have the same graphical quality, hence it runs better, including in VR. But as mentioned, the sharpening setting does work well in AMS 2 so I don't think there is any particular distinction between sims there. Of the sims I currently play regularly (R3E, AMS 2, ACC), AMS 2 easily has the best performance and quality in VR to date.

Given that it's on Steam you could always try it for a couple of hours rather than relying on other people's rather subjective opinions. Refund it if performance doesn't meet your expectations. :)

So I gave in and gave it a go.
VR performance and clarity were not that great on my system. I5 9600kf @ 5ghz & 2060....GPU being the weakest link but not spending $1000+ atm to upgrade.

Running low settings, mirrors & shadows off, sharpening enabled & med msaa was still too blurry for my liking, higher settings turned it into a slide show in every corner.
Edit: 2pm lite clouds

FFB is definitely better than PC2 on the straights though I found under braking to be pretty vague as I couldn't feel any initial bite/tire load or understeer kicking in.
I didn't spend too much time fiddling with the ffb settings...more or less default and adjusted to not clip.

I tested PC2 afterwards and found the Raw profile to feel very similar to AMS default.
What I found improved in AMS2 was the tightness at center and the track detail/feedback on the straights, overall the biggest improvement was the cars are much more planted than PC2

Edit: in regards to the current ffb. Is Reiza sticking with just the default and custom ffb profile or do they plan to add any auto adjusting profiles that PC2 had?

Audio needs some work with effects and positional surroundings. A few cars seemed to have a cracking distortion after shifts and backfires...could be on my end?
I also didn't notice any undercarriage effects when driving off the race line or coming back on track...only off track.

What upset me the most unless I am blind, was aside from the V8 stock car none of my favorites from AMS are in it yet...mini Cooper, Copa Montana, modern Touring cars, Porsche cup or stadium truck :(

Still a ways to go, tho has tons of potential and I have faith in Reiza to get it there.

I just hope player counts increase upon the release of V1 and future DLC's

Last edited:
After a few terrific runs yesterday with different classes at Cascavel ( Hot Cars, Super V8, Stock Car V8), I ran Caterham Academy at Snetterton. Other than the AI running away from me on only level 75, it was good.
Today I was plagued with the "flickering UI" problem, the car ran into the pit wall while pulling out ( automatic pit stops) and the steering was off.
I ran the steering config a number of times but could not get the car to turn....hand over hand in the hairpins where yesterday it was a simple cross over. Verified files, restarted PC. same result with this combo. Had to go to work. Will test with other cars and may delete config files in Documents ( corrupted???). Will report back.

Edit: Was not doing the wheel config properly...D'oh....fixed that...still get the flickering and wild pit release though.

Last edited:
So I gave in and gave it a go.
VR performance and clarity were not that great on my system. I5 9600kf @ 5ghz & 2060....GPU being the weakest link but not spending $1000+ atm to upgrade.

Running low settings, mirrors & shadows off sharpening enabled & med msaa was still too blurry for my liking, higher settings turned it into a slide show in every corner.
Edit: 2pm lite clouds

FFB is definitely better than PC2 though I found under braking to be pretty vague as I couldn't feel any intial bite or understeer kicking in.
I didn't spend too much time fiddling with ffb settings...more or less default.
Cars felt very planted compared to PC2.

Audio needs some work with effects and positional surroundings. A few cars seemed to have a cracking distortion after shifts and backfires...could be on my end?
I also didn't notice any undercarriage effects when driving off the race line or coming back on track...only off track.

What upset me the most unless I am blind, was aside from the V8 stock car none of my favorites from AMS are in it yet...mini Cooper, Copa Montana, modern Touring cars or stadium truck :(

Still a ways to go, tho has tons of potential and I have faith in Reiza to get it there.

Did you make the changes to the config files to increase the sharpness? This is a must for VR. Clear as iRacing after this fix.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 90 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.0%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 10.2%
  • €3001-5000