Automobilista 2 - New Screenshots Reveal Additional Content

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS 2 Caterham.jpg

Some new images from the upcoming Automobilista 2 have been released.

Revealing the British Brands Hatch circuit, the wonderful lightweight Caterham plus an historic layout of the Italian Imola track for the first time, a new batch of Automobilista 2 images have surfaced on the internet today - again showing off the already impressive visuals achieved by Reiza Studios in their W.I.P new racing simulation.

AMS 2 Interview: Check out part 1 HERE.

Having been in development for some months now, AMS 2 very recently got its first public airing and the announcement has been met with generally very positive vibes from the sim racing community.

AMS 2 Brands Hatch.jpg

Using upgraded visuals thanks to the adoption of the MADNESS game engine, the new title is set to continue Reiza Studios tradition of creating ultra realistic racing simulations that feature a wide and diverse array of exciting motorsport content.

Again keeping with the core Brazilian theme for the new game, Reiza have confirmed that at least 75% of the content within the original Automobilista title will make the switch over to the new release - suitably upgraded and expanded of course - alongside a host of new licences that include the likes of German powerhouse manufacturer BMW, and the some of the iconic cars from the career of Brazilian three-time Formula One World Champion, and undoubted motorsport legend, Ayrton Senna.

AMS 2 Formula One.jpg
AMS 2 Historic Imola.jpg

Due to release in December of this year, it wouldn't be a great stretch of the imagination to come to the conclusion that the AMS 2 announcement is likely to be one of the biggest sim racing news stories of 2019 - and if the screenshots revealed today, coupled with the enviable reputation already well earned by Reiza Studios are anything to go by, this could be one of the most impressive simulations released in the genre so far.

The second part of our big AMS 2 Interview, featuring many of the questions raised by the community, will release exclusively on RaceDepartment in the very near future...

Automobilista 2 will release on PC December 2019.

For the latest Automobilista 2 news and discussions, head over to the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the conversation today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

sorry man, not for me, I'm very demanding on visuals. It's part of my job ( or was) , so the expectations are only the highest :)

compare that to this to see what I mean :)
The graphics from those games coupled with AMS/rF2 physics and FFB would be incredible.

Im also hoping (but dont think it will happen) that AMS2 gets bug splats. It is so common in racing but never done in sims. Im guessing its a bit hard to do well. Sure, to just have randomized bug splats (decals/textures) appear on the windscreen isnt hard (i think) but if you use the wipers to get smudged out textures where the randomized bug splats are...? And then pit in to get it cleaned off, and i dont care if it just went away instantly as you go into the pit. No need to see a guy cleaning it or ripping off windscreen plastic. But the bug splats are so common in racing that i feel they need to make an entrance. It impacts the driving. It becomes a gameplay feature. Its more realistic than the ultra clean sim racing we have. Tracks have no rubber pieces or gravel on them. There is no exhaust smoke (older classics), there is no bug splats and no dirt spots hitting the windscreen from cars in front (well, iRacing actually have this i think, and thats cool), most sims lack(ed) sparks (getting more common now), and well racing is gritty and its not portraid in sims. For good reason of course. Most sim teams are small and these effects im sure is a lot of work. Just hoping we see more of it in the future. :) AMS2 and bug splats would be awesome.

It's a licensing agreement, they're not giving one of their competitors access to their engine and source code because they have a kind heart, they do so only because they're paid to do so, just like ISI was paid to license the rF1 engine for GSC and AMS and S397 signed an agreement to port some of the AMS content to rF2. This is a business, not a charity.

I know I'm stating the obvious and will most likely receive some downvotes for sounding cynical, but other than that, one right can't cancel all the wrongs that they (SMS) still hold to their account.

I agree with you on your first paragraph; it is a business deal. However, there is a bit more to the story.

First, not all the sim engines are available for license. I am not sure of the exact details but in the interview it was clear that Reiza did not have too many options beyond creating more of their own custom upgrades to RF1. In fact, many of us assume that the RF2 engine was available for license but even that may not be true. Not all engine holders will lease/sell their IP to a competitor. So you have to give SMS credit for being open minded about this.

Second, Reiza said that SMS let them explore the Madness engine thoroughly before they had to lease/purchase it. So they were able to make an informed choice with no financial penalty. This is a big deal for a small business and shows SMS willingness to collaborate with a competitor. I got the feeling that things were not quite so open with some of the other engine owners.

Your last statement is opening a can of worms but I have to say.... can't you get over it? If you bought a $50 video game you didn't enjoy, it isn't like Ian Bell came to your house and shot your dog. Ian is boisterous and proud of his team and product. Business people sell stuff and sometimes exaggerate. With game rentals and the ability to get a refund on Steam there are enough options for you to try before you buy. I think the sim community that feels so "burned" by Ian and SMS need to be a bit more resilient.

In fact, many of us assume that the RF2 engine was available for license but even that may not be true.

Davey Jones did an interesting podcast with S397

If you are interested in S397 the whole podcast is worth listening to , but jump to 1 hr 11mins if you just want to hear about Reiza and the rF2 engine. The interview was back in March and to me it was clear then that Reiza were not going for rF2. I hadn't guessed it would be the MADNESS engine.

-snip-

Your last statement is opening a can of worms but I have to say.... can't you get over it? If you bought a $50 video game you didn't enjoy, it isn't like Ian Bell came to your house and shot your dog. Ian is boisterous and proud of his team and product. Business people sell stuff and sometimes exaggerate. With game rentals and the ability to get a refund on Steam there are enough options for you to try before you buy. I think the sim community that feels so "burned" by Ian and SMS need to be a bit more resilient.
I'll glance over most of the first two paragraphs as I'm not well informed as to what actually happened (or is happening) behind the scenes between the two parties, mine was just an educated guess based on common logic when it comes to licensing agreements. The licensing of source code for pretty much anything is another can of worms on its own and I'm not going to poke that turd with a stick, but the general "rule" is that if they own the code they are free to do whatever they want with it and are not obligated to license it to any third party if they don't want/wish to, which could be the reason why S397 is less willing to license the rF2 code but SMS is willing to license their pC1&2 code instead. If they allowed Reiza to analyze the code for free prior to acquiring a license, then it's another matter and one that is objectively a positive thing for Reiza. But Bell ain't that dumb to allow an "outsider" to look around his own things without being sure of getting something in return. Maybe it's an exchange of knowledge for a discounted fee or maybe it's something else. Either way, the end user shouldn't be concerned by such matters as long as the final product(s) end up being good.

Theoretically, everyone has a price and with enough money they could've tried to license the EGO engine from Codemasters (which has proved itself to be reliable for simulations with DR1&2) or whatever engine Milestone have for their own games, but other than those what other options did they realistically have, afterall? Stick with the rF1 engine and be constrained by its limitations (like Raceroom or GSC/GSCE/AMS1)? Go the kS route and use UE4 which is free to use but requires a license for commercial products and struggle like ACC is doing on the technical side of things? Dump all their content into rF2 and work out another agreement with S397 for a number of dlcs (but bigger)? Write their own code from scratch?
When you look at it that way, SMS was their only option to bring their own game to the 21st century. Plus, as others rightfully pointed out in the announcement topic, the MADness engine is objectively great, if plagued by some issues on various fronts (be them graphical glitches or physics shortcomings).

As per your last paragraph, I personally have no qualms with Bell nor his team nor their products as, just as you rightfully say, I have better things to do than hate on his person or his company just because I dislike their games. As a matter of fact, I'm indifferent to either pCx title and unlike some other (very vocal) people I don't waste my time going around and calling him names. I tried both games and didn't like them. Nowdays, I just sit back and occasionally comment on what I see.

The only personal issue I have with him is that everytime he opens his mouth, he promises the moon and then delivers an asteroid; one fractured in a number of smaller debris at that. In the long run, he will lose credibility to the point that he will ridicule himself (the "MadBox" fiasco where everbody made fun of him in another topic around here) and won't be taken seriously anymore. Yes, he is a businessman first and foremost and his job is to sell games, but unrealistic claims about their products can't last forever, especially in this day and age where with such a widespread reach of customers and community feedbacks even the smallest of issues can potentially become "huge" in terms of "notoriety" and "popularity". There used to be an entire website dedicated to massacrating his products, even on the smallest details. Now, that website is no more and the person behind it works for him. That's just my humble opinion though.

I'm 100% aware of the fact that unlike kS developers he's not actually sitting behind a computer all day coding the engine from scratch and thus he's not directly responsible for the shortcomings of the games his company makes. However, as time goes on, I find it ever so difficult not to laugh at people calling him (mod edit) or calling his games projectBUGS because from my outsider perspective, such names sound funny in my head. Whether they're true or justified (or not), there's plenty of documented evidence (or lack thereof) on the internet for others to reach their own conclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll glance over most of the first two paragraphs as I'm not well informed as to what actually happened (or is happening) behind the scenes between the two parties, mine was just an educated guess based on common logic when it comes to licensing agreements. The licensing of source code for pretty much anything is another can of worms on its own and I'm not going to poke that turd with a stick, but the general "rule" is that if they own the code they are free to do whatever they want with it and are not obligated to license it to any third party if they don't want/wish to, which could be the reason why S397 is less willing to license the rF2 code but SMS is willing to license their pC1&2 code instead. If they allowed Reiza to analyze the code for free prior to acquiring a license, then it's another matter and one that is objectively a positive thing for Reiza. But Bell ain't that dumb to allow an "outsider" to look around his own things without being sure of getting something in return. Maybe it's an exchange of knowledge for a discounted fee or maybe it's something else. Either way, the end user shouldn't be concerned by such matters as long as the final product(s) end up being good.

Theoretically, everyone has a price and with enough money they could've tried to license the EGO engine from Codemasters (which has proved itself to be reliable for simulations with DR1&2) or whatever engine Milestone have for their own games, but other than those what other options did they realistically have, afterall? Stick with the rF1 engine and be constrained by its limitations (like Raceroom or GSC/GSCE/AMS1)? Go the kS route and use UE4 which is free to use but requires a license for commercial products and struggle like ACC is doing on the technical side of things? Dump all their content into rF2 and work out another agreement with S397 for a number of dlcs (but bigger)? Write their own code from scratch?
When you look at it that way, SMS was their only option to bring their own game to the 21st century. Plus, as others rightfully pointed out in the announcement topic, the MADness engine is objectively great, if plagued by some issues on various fronts (be them graphical glitches or physics shortcomings).

As per your last paragraph, I personally have no qualms with Bell nor his team nor their products as, just as you rightfully say, I have better things to do than hate on his person or his company just because I dislike their games. As a matter of fact, I'm indifferent to either pCx title and unlike some other (very vocal) people I don't waste my time going around and calling him names. I tried both games and didn't like them. Nowdays, I just sit back and occasionally comment on what I see.

The only personal issue I have with him is that everytime he opens his mouth, he promises the moon and then delivers an asteroid; one fractured in a number of smaller debris at that. In the long run, he will lose credibility to the point that he will ridicule himself (the "MadBox" fiasco where everbody made fun of him in another topic around here) and won't be taken seriously anymore. Yes, he is a businessman first and foremost and his job is to sell games, but unrealistic claims about their products can't last forever, especially in this day and age where with such a widespread reach of customers and community feedbacks even the smallest of issues can potentially become "huge" in terms of "notoriety" and "popularity". There used to be an entire website dedicated to massacrating his products, even on the smallest details. Now, that website is no more and the person behind it works for him. That's just my humble opinion though.

I'm 100% aware of the fact that unlike kS developers he's not actually sitting behind a computer all day coding the engine from scratch and thus he's not directly responsible for the shortcomings of the games his company makes. However, as time goes on, I find it ever so difficult not to laugh at people calling him Mod Edit. or calling his games projectBUGS because from my outsider perspective, such names sound funny in my head. Whether they're true or justified (or not), there's plenty of documented evidence (or lack thereof) on the internet for others to reach their own conclusions.
Mod Edit to reflect mod Edit in quoted post.
Combined with 'as per your last paragraph, I personally have no qualms with Bell nor his team nor their products'...

Consistency...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ian Bell Sorry for the tag, reading a lot of comments around on the forum here and externals too and I remember someone hinted Madness engine has evolved since PC2 release...can you confirm? If yes in which way?
I found several vids about Madness engine tech and looks quite complex and intriguing, would like to know more if possible.
We're constantly evolving it in all areas. We have a core tech team of approaching 40 'very good people' working to improve it daily. We pass all of these ongoing updates to Reiza where remotely appropriate. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the end results.

The graphics from those games coupled with AMS/rF2 physics and FFB would be incredible.

Im also hoping (but dont think it will happen) that AMS2 gets bug splats. It is so common in racing but never done in sims. Im guessing its a bit hard to do well. Sure, to just have randomized bug splats (decals/textures) appear on the windscreen isnt hard (i think) but if you use the wipers to get smudged out textures where the randomized bug splats are...? And then pit in to get it cleaned off, and i dont care if it just went away instantly as you go into the pit. No need to see a guy cleaning it or ripping off windscreen plastic. But the bug splats are so common in racing that i feel they need to make an entrance. It impacts the driving. It becomes a gameplay feature. Its more realistic than the ultra clean sim racing we have. Tracks have no rubber pieces or gravel on them. There is no exhaust smoke (older classics), there is no bug splats and no dirt spots hitting the windscreen from cars in front (well, iRacing actually have this i think, and thats cool), most sims lack(ed) sparks (getting more common now), and well racing is gritty and its not portraid in sims. For good reason of course. Most sim teams are small and these effects im sure is a lot of work. Just hoping we see more of it in the future. :) AMS2 and bug splats would be awesome.
I've never seen anyone mention bug splats before, but i was having a great race in ACC the other day at Monza and had the very same thought... Then preceded to have an almighty off at Ascari! :roflmao: Not the most important detail but I can definitely feel the extra immersion, so yes I'm with you on this one

Bit harsh on PCars I feel, it's a very good engine and PCars 2 got a lot right (but out of the box FFB and default setups weren't its strength). I've since upgraded to a PC, but I was on PS4 for a couple of years and PCars was pretty awesome on the playstation. I had hundreds of house on it and it never ceased to amaze me that it was possible to have that good a sim on a console. I'm looking forward to AMS2 but Pcars 3 is also on my wishlist...

We're constantly evolving it in all areas. We have a core tech team of approaching 40 'very good people' working to improve it daily. We pass all of these ongoing updates to Reiza where remotely appropriate. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the end results.
WOW, that sounds very exciting, and thanks again for seeing the potential and allowing Reiza to 'Do their Thing'.:)

Oh snap, quite a bit worrying, the MADness engine for a propper simracing title?
I really hope we are not screwed but if anyone can do it then Reiza just make the hell sure to let Niels do the physics!!!

Last edited:
wouldn't it be funny when exactly the same engine - say with same cars and pretty much same physcis numbers - would produce absolutelly amazing racing sim on one hand and crappy simcade on the other ? only difference being logos on the track ( one case saying SMS and the other Reiza ) .. people can be quite funny at times

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%