Assetto Corsa Released on Xbox One and PlayStation 4

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Console Released.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni and 505 Games have, finally, released Assetto Corsa in Europe for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Bringing the popular PC simulation to console gamers for the first time.

Following several delays, Assetto Corsa has been released in Europe for console players to enjoy, placing firmly in its target sights the mainstay console racing giants Forza Motorsport and Gran Tourismo. Highly regarded by PC gamers as a detailed simulation, with laserscanned circuits and true to life driving physics, the attention to detail that has been lavished on Assetto Corsa in recent years will bring a new definition of simulation to console players.

Assetto Corsa has been in development on PC since 2013, with several sizable updates to the core game physics and ample first class content added to expand the already impressive list of cars and tracks. Utilising the experience gained during the development of Assetto Corsa on PC, Kunos have been working hard in conjunction with their publisher 505 games to optimise the game for console players. New menu and UI screens have been added, bringing about a modern, fresh feeling to the navigational areas of the sim. Kunos have been at pains to maintain both the console and PC versions of Assetto Corsa remain identical under the hood, allowing Xbox and PlayStation gamers the same opportunity to experience the advanced driving experience that has made Assetto Corsa such a popular title with PC sim racers in recent years. Marco Massarutto of Assetto Corsa released a recent posting on his personal Facebook page, responding to rumblings within the community that AC on console will not offer the same experience as PC players. The post in full, and community comments, can be seen in the Assetto Corsa sub forum here.

UPDATE:
New Assetto Corsa launch trailer for European release below:

Check our recent article to view the list of compatible controllers for Assetto Corsa on PS4 and Xbox One, and check out the AC release trailer here if you haven’t already seen it.

Assetto Corsa will be available on console for players in North America on August 30th.

PC players will be receiving update 1.8 and the new Trpl3 DLC later today. Keep an eye out at RaceDepartment for more information once the update has been released.

Got the game, now join the discussion. Head over to the Assetto Corsa forums for news and community discussion regarding the game. PC players can take advantage of our substantial mods database and Modding Discussion forum, and sign up to some of our regular club racing events.

Have you got your copy yet? First impressions positive? Let us know in the comments section below!

• Deleted member 151827

Without reading this whole thread as i am busy......ac on xbox one has issues such as frame rate and sound cutting off, but is a good experience otherwise! If Kunos can get these issues fixed it will be a success in my book! Maybe a free dlc or so for issues would keep the unhappy people a little more keen on ac(this seemed to keep people happy with driveclub)?

I guess, in the same way that a fiat 500 is basically the same thing as a Ferrari 458.

Kunos have very little experience cramming stuff into the limitations of a console. It seems like the bigger studios get better at it as the life of the console goes on.

People new to sim racing need to know that it's more akin to a hobby than a game. People who try it the first time are going to be terrible. Just like if you go down to a golf course for the first time you're going to be crap at it. It takes not just practice, but coaching. To be good at AC you need to do what real race drivers do. Read books, learn about car balance, talk to people that know things. Perhaps thats just something "gamers" aren't used to. Most games have a pretty basic skill level requirement. Driving cars fast is complicated, there's a lot to learn.

I think once console users get over the initial shock they may learn to enjoy AC for what it is and stop complaining it's not something else.
What books are we talking about? I don't read books and I can tell I'm faster and way more consistent than majority of the sim racers who participate in leagues. Read books if you want to be an engineer, not a driver/racer.

What books are we talking about? I don't read books and I can tell I'm faster and way more consistent than majority of the sim racers who participate in leagues. Read books if you want to be an engineer, not a driver/racer.
Well, I didn't read a book, but I'm sure people have recommended some at some point. I watched skip barbers going faster video on youtube. In the same way you can read a book to improve your golf swing, you can get books on driving faster. They may not be any good to someone who already knows about car balance, braking technique, but if you're starting from scratch then you need to learn how a car works. I had awful problems with lift off oversteer until I watch skip barbers video. It's slightly counter intuitive that a car loses traction at the rear when you take your foot off the accelerator. It makes sense after it's been explained.

I guess, in the same way that a fiat 500 is basically the same thing as a Ferrari 458.

Kunos have very little experience cramming stuff into the limitations of a console. It seems like the bigger studios get better at it as the life of the console goes on.

People new to sim racing need to know that it's more akin to a hobby than a game. People who try it the first time are going to be terrible. Just like if you go down to a golf course for the first time you're going to be crap at it. It takes not just practice, but coaching. To be good at AC you need to do what real race drivers do. Read books, learn about car balance, talk to people that know things. Perhaps thats just something "gamers" aren't used to. Most games have a pretty basic skill level requirement. Driving cars fast is complicated, there's a lot to learn.

I think once console users get over the initial shock they may learn to enjoy AC for what it is and stop complaining it's not something else.
Erm. Xbox one and PS4 both have 8GB GPU ram so they may have a little more grunt than some pc users running AC. (I had an incredibly capable 780 with only 3gb until recently) So you could say the difference may not be that great. I went back to my 560ti recently as getting an upgrade and it runs AC pretty well. So Fiat 500 and 458 is probably a little bit of an over exaggeration there.

Not sure I agree with the comment about real race drivers reading books etc. I never read a book on how to race karts. I never read a book on how to drive a car fast round a circuit. Yet I can do it. And pretty quickly I might add. At least with the real thing you have the feeling of losing rear end grip accelerating out of the corners and getting close to the limit of the front tyres on turn in. This is racing or driving simulation. It's not quite the real thing now.

Yes its a hobby. But console players also enjoy or are looking for the same thing. Does it really matter what box it's played on?

Well, I didn't read a book, but I'm sure people have recommended some at some point. I watched skip barbers going faster video on youtube. In the same way you can read a book to improve your golf swing, you can get books on driving faster. They may not be any good to someone who already knows about car balance, braking technique, but if you're starting from scratch then you need to learn how a car works. I had awful problems with lift off oversteer until I watch skip barbers video. It's slightly counter intuitive that a car loses traction at the rear when you take your foot off the accelerator. It makes sense after it's been explained.
Wanna know how I solved lift oversteer? I stopped driving like a pleb with the car that had it (McLaren mp12-4c gt3 @ Silverstone)

Read books if you want to be an engineer, not a driver/racer.

You must be a natural talented sim driver, whom may know or realize certain things in an empirically way. For a group of the rest of us, me included, any extra source of knowledge comes very handy. It is not surprise some fast drivers have no deep knowledge of cars mechanics, and some really have no clue and do not know how to explain what allow them to drive fast.

While experience cannot be replaced by just knowledge, I really like to know and understand how things work from a scientific way. I may not have a natural talent, but I will know what to do and change in order to improve my driving and setup configuration.

You must be a natural talented sim driver, whom may know or realize certain things in an empirically way. For a group of the rest of us, me included, any extra source of knowledge comes very handy. It is not surprise some fast drivers have no deep knowledge of cars mechanics, and some really have no clue and do not know how to explain what allow them to drive fast.

While experience cannot be replaced by just knowledge, I really like to know and understand how things work from a scientific way. I may not have a natural talent, but I will know what to do and change in order to improve my driving and setup configuration.
I learned car control by driving s**t out of the cars I drive, I didn't start slow. I can read a book and 2 pages later I wouldn't remember what I read. Some people have talent for racing, others for engineering and as long as I know how to set up a car for my style of driving, I don't need any extra knowledge.
I would love to see a video of you showing off all your speed.
I don't see a point, all you seem to do is slide into the Kunos dms.

So, how did you learn how to setup the car to benefit your driving style? Was it trial and error? How did you realize the difference between a change in a spring rate compared to change on a damper compared to a change on a camber setting affects your car behavior?

Can you describe what is your driving style as well your preference toward an under or oversteer car balance?

Just curious

I've always believed that the better/more realistic the sim, the easier it should be to drive - unless you're under the age of 14-15 and have never driven an automobile in real life. It should be the crappier games that take "getting used to how to drive..." The difficulty comes in driving these digital cars very, very fast with the limited equipment we have and the lack of feeling G-forces and such.

I have been learning all sorts of things about the console version of AC and I'm pretty bummed for the console users. They can't change the track surface, so I would guess it's always set to Optimum. There are zero additional on-screen apps for players to choose from. Not even a pedal app! Console players can not move the driver's head/eye position the way PC users can. There were a few more things that I was told, but I can't remember them at the moment. :(

I have been learning all sorts of things about the console version of AC and I'm pretty bummed for the console users. They can't change the track surface, so I would guess it's always set to Optimum. There are zero additional on-screen apps for players to choose from. Not even a pedal app! Console players can not move the driver's head/eye position the way PC users can. There were a few more things that I was told, but I can't remember them at the moment. :(
But those are limits brought on by the hardware. Many other driving games that console users play probably can't do those things either. AC1 pretty much introduced on screen apps to PC sim racing. So console users aren't missing out on features they've come to expect, they're just missing features that their equipment isn't able to handle.

Cramming a PC simulator into a console was always going to mean sacrifices. Kunos were selling their physics so the sacrifices had to be made in other places.

I've always believed that the better/more realistic the sim, the easier it should be to drive - unless you're under the age of 14-15 and have never driven an automobile in real life. It should be the crappier games that take "getting used to how to drive..." The difficulty comes in driving these digital cars very, very fast with the limited equipment we have and the lack of feeling G-forces and such.
Well it's not so much 'easier as a thing' as 'easier by design'. In arcade games the AI is tuned to lose to beginner players, either by rubber banding or just being super slow. And the assists go up to full on 'steer for you', to the point you're just watching a movie and pressing some qtes. The physics in general can also do silly things like cars simply not spinning or being able to land on their roof.

That said at some point in the AI updates, they gained some serious speed, and series N2 has some not really beatable races in it. If you expect the events to be 'easy' (cause that's what the difficulty setting is) and 5th or 7th is the best you can possibly finish it's a bit discouraging. I don't know why it used to be ok, maybe because AI starts were bad enough that a talented player could get in first and stay there.

But those are limits brought on by the hardware. Many other driving games that console users play probably can't do those things either. AC1 pretty much introduced on screen apps to PC sim racing. So console users aren't missing out on features they've come to expect, they're just missing features that their equipment isn't able to handle.

Cramming a PC simulator into a console was always going to mean sacrifices. Kunos were selling their physics so the sacrifices had to be made in other places.
Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that Kunos short-changed console players. Clearly it is due to hardware limitations. I just meant that it's unfortunate because as PC AC players we know how fantastic it is in many respects, not just the physics/ffb.. The customization of the driving screen. The apps. All that jazz is really important. You can only do so much with a console - so sacrifices had to be made. :(

I think AC will be a gateway sim experience for many console users. The bottom line for anyone that really gets into sim racing is they're going to have to invest in a PC. The console version is just a taste of what a proper driving experience is like.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back