Assetto Corsa Released on Steam Early Access!

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Assetto Corsa Released on Steam Early Access!

After months of waiting the moment has finally arrived. Assetto Corsa is released by Kunos Simulazioni on Steam Early Access.

Players can buy the game saving 22% of the retail price, getting the access to the beta version, including its updates, and they will receive the final version of the game, when it will be released, without any additional charge.

Assetto Corsa is already in advanced state of completion. Meanwhile some features and structures are under progress and testing, the...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

A final word on that sensation of speed thingy, after a couple of laps I start to learn what kind of RPM range and gear I need to be in to manage the corner, so I can manage to get laps done and enjoy the brilliant physics and ffb, but I'd like to be able to judge my speed from just looking ahead like in other games, dunno exactly what is different just that I'm not feeling it as much in AC as I do in say iRacing and GT Legends.

This is catching me out and other friends of mine as well , maybe its to do with how the game renders the FOV , some render methods distort the image differently which can make things appear to pass by the camera different.

one solution I have found with other games to make things feel faster is to have higher fov but move the camera artificiality closer to the wheel.

I have to say that I love Z4... I never liked this car... But I just can't stop lap it at Magione. It's so refined.

And replays are brilliant - work of chassis looks sooo good you can believe it's one of Top Gear shows.

I'm in heavy love with this game.

Wow at the guys crying "Understeer !" :p

STREET TYRES on STREET CARS with NO DOWNFORCE. There, I said it. I am 99.99% sure that most of the complains about it are due to the fact that they over-drive the corners massively. I never had a problem with understeer and I can powerslide every cars in the game with ease... I think some of you need to slow down the entry phase a bit, stop over-turning the wheel and let the car bite before trying to do WR laptimes...

I'm impressed with traction control settings.
In 458 there are 4 settings + off:
1st - you can't do anything with the back
2st - similar to 1st but, you can feel you are closer to the limit
3rd - the back steps out, very controllable
4th - like 3rd but more
off - you know

Also when in setting 1 or 2, the taction control is very smooth, very gently taking power away, no engine interrupting.
That's very different to for example BMW M3 e92, which only has one setting (I thought the real one has two), but when you enable TC, it's not smooth, the engine is interrupted, the revs are jumping.
Very impressed with that.

I never get to set it up properly. FFB is clipping heavily. Doesn't really matter how much I move filter slider (don't really kow what many settings actually do as it doesn't say).
Cars also seem to have massive accelerator deadzone. You see throttle slider moving, but RPMs start to rise at about half a throttle. BMW E92 is pretty close to real, but it is very bad with Ferrari and KTM. Haven't tried other cars.

This is catching me out and other friends of mine as well , maybe its to do with how the game renders the FOV , some render methods distort the image differently which can make things appear to pass by the camera different.

one solution I have found with other games to make things feel faster is to have higher fov but move the camera artificiality closer to the wheel.

Have done the same thing. FOV from 56 (default) to 65. Now the feeling for the speed seems more natural to me. With the DEV Tools I can now change the seat forward. But have not tried that out yesterday. Will test a little more today.

For the understeer:
Felt that too. But then I changed the tyres to semislicks and change the pressures. Giving it more pressure at the rear tyres and less at the front makes it much more tail-happy. ;)

When the car has ARBs, you can stiffer the rear ARB to make the tail even more happy!

Just some comments I have after playing AC for a while.

AA needs to be fixed ASAP. I was hoping the release version would have better AA but it doesn't. No matter what AA I use there is no setting that completely gets rid of the jaggies. Also I am running on a 30 Inch screen at a res of 2560 x 1600 but it doesn't feel like that resolution in game. Everything looks blury, even with all AA off, and motion blur off. There is also some jerky world movements when watching from replay cameras.

Also we need better replay cameras, more track specific camera setups at certain turns like rfactor has, where you can switch between multiple cams at certain areas. Often in AC the camera is either too low or too zoomed in to see what your car is doing. Anyways I was hoping the release would be more polished than this, but I am still enjoying it. At least the cars feel pretty good to drive, which is the most important part. :)

If your GPU is from NVIDIA, you can run NVIDIA Inspector and add 2x (or 4x if your GPU can handle it) Sparse Grid Supersampling to the game (together with ingame 4xAA). Also, disable HDR. Do it and I guarantee you'll get rid of those jaggies and blur.

This form of AA is very taxing, but it's worth it (if your GPU can handle it) IMO.

Screen:

1387892_544075012350280_1037326166_n.jpg

I'm impressed with traction control settings.
In 458 there are 4 settings + off:
1st - you can't do anything with the back
2st - similar to 1st but, you can feel you are closer to the limit
3rd - the back steps out, very controllable
4th - like 3rd but more
off - you know

Does this mean the 458 still has TC even in Pro mode? Kinda annoying. How do you switch between the different TC levels?

Also, why do we have to go back to control options to switch between paddle and h-shifter, They should at least let us access options with ESC key or something when on track.

In the following my initial feelings (I don't want to make this another rF2 vs AC war, just comparing the feeling between the two simulators I am most interested in).

- Graphics run very smooth on the default settings. I didn't notice issues with anything such as the AA, which some users have mentioned. The graphic engine is miles ahead of the one of rF2, both in performance and looks. Track modeling is on par with both simulators, perhaps rF2 is slightly more detailed on its newer tracks.
- The sounds are not bad but not very good either. You get a muffled impression with most cars, some lack of bass, etc. Obviously I have never sat in a real race car, but rFactor 2 sound samples seem more authentic.
- Car physics are very different compared to iRacing or rFactor 2. This is both good and bad. In AC you can really feel the weight of the car and the initial understeer on entry, which I think is totally realistic with street cars. All rFactor 2 cars feel very light (less inertia) compared to this, which means you need a big adjusting in driving style between these two simulators. In open wheelers I prefer the light feeling of rFactor 2, as they should have this "wild" handling in my view. For street cars the physics of AC seem more realistic.
- FFB is quite good, could yet be slightly more communicative but I didn't get an impression anything major was wrong with it. I particularly like the way locking the brakes is transmitted to the FFB.
- UI is very innovative and easy to use. Some options are lacking from the beta, notably seat adjustment and FOV. UI overall is miles ahead of rF2.
- There are some arcade elements that I don't particularly like. Such as the slowdown when going wide on track, which has been mentioned. Secondly, when you lose control of the car in Monza final braking, even at high speed the car almost always stops in the middle of the gravel trap, never reaching the barrier. The gravel material properties are slightly wrong imo. Thirdly, the impact of damage is too low; especially open-wheelers should be much more fragile (not talking about the visual damage which is obviously not yet implemented).

Overall after a slight initial disappointment my feelings are quite positive of this beta. Finally, below a comparison between cars/track of the same era in AC and rF2.

<mod edit: vids go in here please:http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/media/category/assetto-corsa.5/>

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty Pierce on 08/11/2013 at 20:15 said:

Is there somewhere to take off automatic trans. I I have g27 and clutch does nothing and I can shift but the game is also shifting. Frustrating. Also is there difficulty settings?

had the same at first,,but then tried let the game search and calibrate the device
after that ,,i could use the axel for clutch as well

I never get to set it up properly. FFB is clipping heavily. Doesn't really matter how much I move filter slider (don't really kow what many settings actually do as it doesn't say).
Cars also seem to have massive accelerator deadzone. You see throttle slider moving, but RPMs start to rise at about half a throttle. BMW E92 is pretty close to real, but it is very bad with Ferrari and KTM. Haven't tried other cars.

Lower the FFB GAIN to get rid of clipping

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 17 11.8%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 16 11.1%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 11.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 52 36.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 84 58.3%