Assetto Corsa Competizione: Sizeable Rewrite Underway - New Hotfix Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Hotfix.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni look likely to be busy in the months ahead, having already released 'build five' of the sim and a new hotfix today, the team have confirmed a sizeable rewriting is underway.

When I say rewriting, what I mean by that is Kunos are hard at work revisiting some of the code created for ACC so far, in an effort to maximise how the software will be developed going forward in order to bring new content and features to the simulation more quickly, and with greater ease than is possible at this moment in time.

Unfortunately for Kunos, that means a lot of work 'behind the scenes' will need to be undertaken to achieve this change in direction, a feat that the small Italian development team are in no way underestimating how time consuming and difficult that might be. With the simulation still at such an early stage of development, it is excellent to see Kunos are so dedicated to bringing about the best experience they can with this Unreal 4 game engine, and yet more evidence that the makers of netKar Pro and Assetto Corsa fully intend this new title to be their biggest and best creation to date.

The full Kunos statement:
Having a look at the 0.5 release patch notes, you will find that most changes are either new content or physics related. Regarding gameplay elements – including Multiplayer features – we decided to opt for a different path, which may need some explanation for non-developers.

While developing software, especially games, you constantly invent patterns and concepts. When we built the ACC gameplay during 2018, we aimed for a certain way to write the game logic, including everything from session handling, race timing, laptimes, penalties and so on. Our solution had some amazing feats and ways of working, but we also had to learn that one of the disadvantages was making the development of Multiplayer features not as efficient as we had wished for. You may have noticed that although we met our roadmap targets on time in terms of content and features, several things involving Multiplayer were late. This is not really unusual or surprising; moving a whole development team to a new engine and framework required us to learn about the new situation as the project evolved (but we didn't know where this would happen, obviously).

In December we faced the choice to either keep proceeding like that, adding as little changes as necessary to achieve a stable 1.0 Multiplayer, and then never to touch it again.

The alternative route is a rewrite of (a lot of) the code to switch to concepts that support our current needs and the things we learned. The disadvantage is obvious; we'd have to spend a lot of work to change ACC without – seemingly – adding gamplay related features and fixes for a certain amount of time, however, the gain is a much more stable environment, where we can keep adding features and also speed up future development.

I can tell it's unusual to go for a rewrite, but it expresses our approach and our plans to go on, even beyond ACC 1.0. Technically speaking, a few developers forked off the codebase and worked day and night to do the re-coding, with the goal of bringing those improvements to the main code as soon as possible. The new features on the list therefore are there, but not in this build, and we most probably will also bring them one after another even looking beyond the 1.0 release, since the development will continue to bring our audience the 2019 Season update, and more. ;)

Being myself also responsible for ACC Multiplayer development, I needed to slow down the work on the Rating System, but likely this re-work on some of the code that we use as a foundation will help the Rating System, too, to proceed even smoother.

As a bottom line: enjoy the new content, both the car and track (in my opinion) are fabulous, and see how ACC keeps developing in the future.

I'm writing this between Multiplayer tests (on the new code), we are on a very good way – but sadly we will not see this outside the test systems for the time being.

While the rewrite is a project that remains ongoing, Kunos are still working hard at the latest build of the software, and that can be further evidenced today by a very small new hotfix update for the recently released Emil Frey Jaguar G3, the car having come with a couple of issues (mainly around the audio), which has been addressed as part of the latest hotfix build, details below:

0.5.1 Changelog
  • Improved intake sound EQ (onboard view) for the Emil Frey Jaguar G3
  • Minor LOD tweaks on the Emil Frey Jaguar G3

Busy days, weeks and months are ahead at Kunos HQ!

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 5 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

I am not saying AC physics is perfect but it does a very well job in making the driving feel believable and more importantly, enjoyable. AC physics have flaws, however, as an overall package, it is still good. ACC may be more realistic, I do not find most of the cars there fun to drive.

Pcars did a lot in terms of physics too. Using the first principle based finite element modelling (FEM) that is used in design and engineering, a detail track countour that can pond in real time, full engine simulations down to each stroke along with a highly realistic thermal model. Does that mean it is a perfect game? I do not think so because that amount of realism that not translate to enjoyable and believable driving directly. Same goes for ACC with detailed ECU mappings, new ABS coding and so on, I did not find it anymore enjoyable to drive the same 488 GT3 in ACC compared to AC. Same goes for rfactor 2 physics for me, extremely detailed which I appreciate but I did not find it much more enjoyable with other games.

The issue is, developers often add a lot of great simulation features to mimick real life but they did not teach the players on how to use it. At the end, whats the point when most players did not even know it's existance or how to use it in the first place? Unlike the FEM softwar I used that at least may have a manual of some sorts, most racing games have absolutely zero documentations.

For the AI, I am still getting pushed out the track like how it commonly occured in the early days of AC or worse, Pcars 1. Realistic or not, that is not enjoyable.

The other major issue with ACC for me is that they removed everything from AC1 except GT3s and a handful of tracks. The fantastic 917s, 1M, Praga R1, Huracan ST, Cayman GT4, Alfa Romeo GTA, 250F, F2004, SCG003, M235i and so on are all gone from the game along with plenty of great tracks in AC1. It is a hard call for Kunos but I felt that focusing solely on one class does feel a lot more restrictive for me in terms of content. I love GT3s but I never drive solely GT3s in any game, the different types of cars in a game is what made the game truly shines for me. Losing all of that made me even less enthusiatic towards ACC.

So what youre saying is that you dont like ACC cause its too realistic which makes it unfun (for you) to play. There are so many other games on the market with different "styles". pCars 2 is game which is really fun but I guess its not that realistic (I pray to god that no one starts a discussion about pCars 2 now... ). And then there are games like ACC which are pretty much trying to be as realistic as possible with all kind of stuff like you mentioned such as ECU Mapping, improved ABS coding and approximately over 120 POSSIBLE drivers (I dont know who and how many actually test ACC) out of the real life Blancpain Series which help them improve the feel of driving.

If you think AC is more fun to drive its fine but you shouldnt "bash" a game therefor that it went towards a more realistic behaviour of the car.

That's the kind of transparency i always loved about Kunos and it helps to forgive them things you wouldn't let other developers get away with. Best of luck to them with the rewrite and the entire game.

The biggest rewrite should be optimising is the AI physics / code. Firstly they are terrible and secondly have such a hit on FPS it's pointless even having them.

Thank you for posting this! I have had AI destroy AC's performance on my laptop for ages now. It has never been fixed and, while at some point I blamed my hardware, others have the same issue. It is so infuriating that I stopped buying the DLC and abandoned the entire game.
You saying there is a similar issue with ACC shows how Kunos is unable or unwilling to address this issue and will save me the money I would have spent on ACC...

Best,
Brett

Thank you for posting this! I have had AI destroy AC's performance on my laptop for ages now. It has never been fixed and, while at some point I blamed my hardware, others have the same issue. It is so infuriating that I stopped buying the DLC and abandoned the entire game.
You saying there is a similar issue with ACC shows how Kunos is unable or unwilling to address this issue and will save me the money I would have spent on ACC...

Best,
Brett
You do know that AC and ACC are one of the very very few sims that run the AI on the same physics the real drivers are? pcars, rfactor use simplified physics for AI and basically "match" their performance to the correct laptimes but they are just not bound to the same physical laws you, as a real driver, are.
That's why each AI car hits the CPU performance so heavily.
Do I prefer 60 AI cars I can properly race with, that might use a different physics system than me over 10 AIs that follow the same physical laws I have to but are still not better to race with?

Yes I do, same like you and a lot of people.
But it has a really good reason to be so heavy for performance, as it's in theory a lot more realistic :)

My feeling is that the added complexity of ACC added confusion to the work of Kunos guys. I think they are a bunch of great guys, but the "Early Access" approach doesn't seem to work well this time. AC was all about driving, so once the physics were right you could just release more stuff and each addition would add to the pleasure of driving.
But ACC is about racing, and in particular multiplayer racing. Just GT3 cars, and just racing. So the multiplayer code is more important than anything else, including graphics, rating, physics, AI, rain, night. Now, releasing an "Early access" single series multiplayer racing sim where the multiplayer is broken and stays broken for so long is a bit of a suicidal move. Adding more content doesn't help, because this is a racing game and even one car could be enough as long as the racing is fun.
I really hope they quickly fix the multiplayer because otherwise ACC with all those complex rating systems makes little sense. Honestly, I don't understand the reason of having 6, 7 ratings. It's good to have but not important. I feel they have taken a wrong turn this time, but well it's still early to say, so the best of luck.
Me, I tried to connect to a server this evening and had 4 "fatal error" messages in like 30 minutes. This is not what you want to have, even in Early Access.

Seems like some would prefer that there was no early access and Kunos just released a version 1 bug-filled product that everyone complains about.

I bought EA to support the development of the product (and get it cheaper ;)) fully expecting it not to be optimized for performance or MP as they're using a different engine. I get some of the complaints, but it's a long way from a finished product.

I will add that if there was a lesson in these years of AC multiplayer it was the success of SRS over Minorating. The rating system, which was surely theoretically good, didn't bring good racing and full servers. SRS with a simple rating system BUT a great philosophy of quick leagues, the ability to repeat a race during the week and keep the best result etc. created a compelling and "easy" way of doing multiplayer racing. I think there is some lesson to learn here @kunos .

Last edited:
[Quote = "Dave Kirk, de la publicación: 2898021, miembro de: 249320"] Soy apenas un fanboy, es mi menos jugaron sim, como era Assetto Corsa, pero para llamar a una mala compañía debido a retrasos en el acceso temprano a pesar del hecho que tienen un historial probado, bueno ... es idiota [/ quote]
It was not understood what I wanted to express due to the google translator. What I try to say is that AC and Kuno is excellent, and ACC seems that it will be a bad product, neglecting all the effort of their previous game (AC), I hope it is understood.

So what youre saying is that you dont like ACC cause its too realistic which makes it unfun (for you) to play. There are so many other games on the market with different "styles". pCars 2 is game which is really fun but I guess its not that realistic (I pray to god that no one starts a discussion about pCars 2 now... ). And then there are games like ACC which are pretty much trying to be as realistic as possible with all kind of stuff like you mentioned such as ECU Mapping, improved ABS coding and approximately over 120 POSSIBLE drivers (I dont know who and how many actually test ACC) out of the real life Blancpain Series which help them improve the feel of driving.

If you think AC is more fun to drive its fine but you shouldnt "bash" a game therefor that it went towards a more realistic behaviour of the car.

No, I do not find ACC to be fun due to how the game is designed. I just do not see how the new features they had added will make it more enjoyable to drive a GT3 compared to other games that does not have detailed ECU mappings etc. However, possibly it is because how rough is the game that really tampers my enjoyment. The UI is a disaster and (understandably) lack of content, IMO.

The new ABS code is a lot better than AC while AC is already leaps and bounds better than the competition in ABS simulation.

It just sometimes I think about what's the point of adding some of these realistic features, like Pcars 2 adding 4 seasons that I'll be honest, I generally find it pretty useless. Winter is nearly unplayable other than some novelty from time to time (like RX in snowy Nords) while I stick to summer or autumn most of the time. Same goes for the ECU mapping, will most players find it useful? Maybe if you are doing 3 hours race all the time, that will be tremendously useful and immersive.

You do know that AC and ACC are one of the very very few sims that run the AI on the same physics the real drivers are? pcars, rfactor use simplified physics for AI and basically "match" their performance to the correct laptimes but they are just not bound to the same physical laws you, as a real driver, are.
Do I prefer 60 AI cars I can properly race with, that might use a different physics system than me over 10 AIs that follow the same physical laws I have to but are still not better to race with?

But it has a really good reason to be so heavy for performance, as it's in theory a lot more realistic :)

Tbh, I never got why Kunos sticked to that principle of giving the player and the AI the same physics and the result pretty much shows that it isn't a good idea. If anything, it limits what you can do with the basic player physics and it wastes ressources that could be spend elsewhere. rF2 and AMS show that you can create a much more believable AI with quite efficient workarounds. Where it really matters, that physics are the same across the board is the MP anyway.

Back on topic regarding ACC and the code rewrite: I think it is a fine desicion and I could easily wait another year for the 1.0 release, if it helps to establish a solid racing platform. In terms of FFB and physics it feels more connected than AC, so the potential is there. I haven't really tested the last update, but I will do so. What really needs to be sorted from my POV is the image sharpness/performance ratio, but reading some comments that is still an issue. So let's get some tea I would say. :)

You make a good point there, it makes sense to be heavier on performance. I agree with you, after all, it is still a game. Simplifications are always made, and those which profit gameplay (more AI at decent quality and performance) is most certainly an apt one.
After all, racing sim simulate racing. Last time I checked, a GT driver did not only race nine other cars...

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%