Assetto Corsa Competizione: Sizeable Rewrite Underway - New Hotfix Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Hotfix.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni look likely to be busy in the months ahead, having already released 'build five' of the sim and a new hotfix today, the team have confirmed a sizeable rewriting is underway.

When I say rewriting, what I mean by that is Kunos are hard at work revisiting some of the code created for ACC so far, in an effort to maximise how the software will be developed going forward in order to bring new content and features to the simulation more quickly, and with greater ease than is possible at this moment in time.

Unfortunately for Kunos, that means a lot of work 'behind the scenes' will need to be undertaken to achieve this change in direction, a feat that the small Italian development team are in no way underestimating how time consuming and difficult that might be. With the simulation still at such an early stage of development, it is excellent to see Kunos are so dedicated to bringing about the best experience they can with this Unreal 4 game engine, and yet more evidence that the makers of netKar Pro and Assetto Corsa fully intend this new title to be their biggest and best creation to date.

The full Kunos statement:
Having a look at the 0.5 release patch notes, you will find that most changes are either new content or physics related. Regarding gameplay elements – including Multiplayer features – we decided to opt for a different path, which may need some explanation for non-developers.

While developing software, especially games, you constantly invent patterns and concepts. When we built the ACC gameplay during 2018, we aimed for a certain way to write the game logic, including everything from session handling, race timing, laptimes, penalties and so on. Our solution had some amazing feats and ways of working, but we also had to learn that one of the disadvantages was making the development of Multiplayer features not as efficient as we had wished for. You may have noticed that although we met our roadmap targets on time in terms of content and features, several things involving Multiplayer were late. This is not really unusual or surprising; moving a whole development team to a new engine and framework required us to learn about the new situation as the project evolved (but we didn't know where this would happen, obviously).

In December we faced the choice to either keep proceeding like that, adding as little changes as necessary to achieve a stable 1.0 Multiplayer, and then never to touch it again.

The alternative route is a rewrite of (a lot of) the code to switch to concepts that support our current needs and the things we learned. The disadvantage is obvious; we'd have to spend a lot of work to change ACC without – seemingly – adding gamplay related features and fixes for a certain amount of time, however, the gain is a much more stable environment, where we can keep adding features and also speed up future development.

I can tell it's unusual to go for a rewrite, but it expresses our approach and our plans to go on, even beyond ACC 1.0. Technically speaking, a few developers forked off the codebase and worked day and night to do the re-coding, with the goal of bringing those improvements to the main code as soon as possible. The new features on the list therefore are there, but not in this build, and we most probably will also bring them one after another even looking beyond the 1.0 release, since the development will continue to bring our audience the 2019 Season update, and more. ;)

Being myself also responsible for ACC Multiplayer development, I needed to slow down the work on the Rating System, but likely this re-work on some of the code that we use as a foundation will help the Rating System, too, to proceed even smoother.

As a bottom line: enjoy the new content, both the car and track (in my opinion) are fabulous, and see how ACC keeps developing in the future.

I'm writing this between Multiplayer tests (on the new code), we are on a very good way – but sadly we will not see this outside the test systems for the time being.

While the rewrite is a project that remains ongoing, Kunos are still working hard at the latest build of the software, and that can be further evidenced today by a very small new hotfix update for the recently released Emil Frey Jaguar G3, the car having come with a couple of issues (mainly around the audio), which has been addressed as part of the latest hotfix build, details below:

0.5.1 Changelog
  • Improved intake sound EQ (onboard view) for the Emil Frey Jaguar G3
  • Minor LOD tweaks on the Emil Frey Jaguar G3

Busy days, weeks and months are ahead at Kunos HQ!

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 5 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

If RF2 and RRE can have such talented AI yet I can run over 60 car grids, then why does ACC racing 20 yield such poor FPS and AI competency in the mid day / sun.

Probably because they want to run it with the same physics as the player. Those are resource intensive even though it is a good idea.

I’ll be honest, I am still underwhelmed with ACC. The graphics aren’t as good as AC or even pcars 2 with its blurry textures. I really don’t find UE4 to be a visually impressive engine due to excessive pop ins, blurry textures and odd shadows. It runs poorly with very little cars. 20 cars isn’t a lot to be honest. The physics isn’t as good as AC, the cars feel very understeered, can be snappy at times for unknown reasons and lack of sense of speed. AI is horrible too, I keep getting pushed out by the AI. Content wise, it is extremely barebone even with the whole season content.

I find myself kept going back to AC1. Or if I am hungry for GT3, I rather play R3E or Pcars 2.

ACC definitely has potential but I still feel like moving to UE4 is a bad idea. Their own engine is still much better visually.

The physics isn’t as good as AC, the cars feel very understeered, can be snappy at times for unknown reasons and lack of sense of speed. AI is horrible too, I keep getting pushed out by the AI.

I find myself kept going back to AC1. Or if I am hungry for GT3, I rather play R3E or Pcars 2.

*I cut out the part which I agree about.

It is worrying to me that people see AC physics as perfect. It is perfect because it is not deep enough to simulate many "imperfections" of real life. Also some little details are not there that are simply a matter of getting used to. For me Kunos are champions for R1 physics, in my personal opinion after that it was "downgraded" back towards almighty AC. It is still better than AC, not even weighting in new features like for example the massiveness of wet surface physics.

But most simracers has no clue about physics, and a lot of those who knows something are either arrogant and dishonest, or doesn't have confidence and commitment to waste their time...

I have same opinion about sense of speed, same in AC, I think it is something about how perspective is drawn, I don't think it is totally a fov thing.

AI is pretty awesome. They have characters, drivers have different racecraft skills and some are assholes, so congratulations you get annoyed by aggressive asshole, and you should be. Again the "imperfections" of real life.

I jumped back on this after taking a break - I think the last time I played they had just released the BMW and Park Ricard circuit. Textures and graphics are still unbelievably fuzzy and unclear, still im not having all the FPS issues that others are having but jumped back onto RRRE with a 45 car grid, definitely no FPS issues, no dodgy AI, and lovely crisp textures. At times it really does look like you're running VR when you aren't even running VR. The cars are so pixelated in the distance. I do hope this gets resolved somewhat in the future - I think it's got the potential to be a cracking title.

I like the approach that Kunos are taking with early access but realistically the game like all the others will be very good 6 months after day1 release.Game are just so complicated today.

It is a great time for Sim racers especially if you like GT3.Kunos know when they officially release the game it has to be the best GT3 sim on the market.

As a former driver in a few classes you all and I race within AC, its all about the physics. Hell my buddy Paul Tracy (2002 Indy winner) is practicing in iRacing (not AC at Bath) for a call up he got to run the 12 hours of Bathurst in a month or so.
Physics always comes first.

But what baffles me, although graphics aren't everything, is that the new engine in ACC is the Unreal4 engine - and the graphics look EXACTLY the same as AC. Its like they took the graphic coding from AC (in house engine) and dropped it in the Unreal4 engine of ACC. When the Unreal engine does FAR more than its in house made engine in AC.

THATS the Unreal4 engine - and the result looks the same as AC? Spare me the lighting effects - its been conquered by Xfab in AC.
I know the application of the engine varies, but come on.
If its slipped anyone's mind on what Unreal4 can do - just watch.

Last edited:
*I cut out the part which I agree about.

It is worrying to me that people see AC physics as perfect. It is perfect because it is not deep enough to simulate many "imperfections" of real life. Also some little details are not there that are simply a matter of getting used to. For me Kunos are champions for R1 physics, in my personal opinion after that it was "downgraded" back towards almighty AC. It is still better than AC, not even weighting in new features like for example the massiveness of wet surface physics.

But most simracers has no clue about physics, and a lot of those who knows something are either arrogant and dishonest, or doesn't have confidence and commitment to waste their time...

I have same opinion about sense of speed, same in AC, I think it is something about how perspective is drawn, I don't think it is totally a fov thing.

AI is pretty awesome. They have characters, drivers have different racecraft skills and some are assholes, so congratulations you get annoyed by aggressive asshole, and you should be. Again the "imperfections" of real life.

I am not saying AC physics is perfect but it does a very well job in making the driving feel believable and more importantly, enjoyable. AC physics have flaws, however, as an overall package, it is still good. ACC may be more realistic, I do not find most of the cars there fun to drive.

Pcars did a lot in terms of physics too. Using the first principle based finite element modelling (FEM) that is used in design and engineering, a detail track countour that can pond in real time, full engine simulations down to each stroke along with a highly realistic thermal model. Does that mean it is a perfect game? I do not think so because that amount of realism that not translate to enjoyable and believable driving directly. Same goes for ACC with detailed ECU mappings, new ABS coding and so on, I did not find it anymore enjoyable to drive the same 488 GT3 in ACC compared to AC. Same goes for rfactor 2 physics for me, extremely detailed which I appreciate but I did not find it much more enjoyable with other games.

The issue is, developers often add a lot of great simulation features to mimick real life but they did not teach the players on how to use it. At the end, whats the point when most players did not even know it's existance or how to use it in the first place? Unlike the FEM softwar I used that at least may have a manual of some sorts, most racing games have absolutely zero documentations.

For the AI, I am still getting pushed out the track like how it commonly occured in the early days of AC or worse, Pcars 1. Realistic or not, that is not enjoyable.

The other major issue with ACC for me is that they removed everything from AC1 except GT3s and a handful of tracks. The fantastic 917s, 1M, Praga R1, Huracan ST, Cayman GT4, Alfa Romeo GTA, 250F, F2004, SCG003, M235i and so on are all gone from the game along with plenty of great tracks in AC1. It is a hard call for Kunos but I felt that focusing solely on one class does feel a lot more restrictive for me in terms of content. I love GT3s but I never drive solely GT3s in any game, the different types of cars in a game is what made the game truly shines for me. Losing all of that made me even less enthusiatic towards ACC.

Last edited:
THATS the Unreal4 engine - and the result looks the same as AC? Spare me the lighting effects - its been conquered by Xfab in AC.
I know the application of the engine varies, but come on.
If its slipped anyone's mind on what Unreal4 can do - just watch.
I'm no graphics guy but I do know that just because that's been rendered using Unreal4, doesn't mean that regular computers can reproduce those graphics A. in real time, and B. while playing a game where many things are dynamic rather than play a pre-recorded/rendered video. Completely different. That video shows us what the Unreal4 engine is technically capable of, yes, but PCs are not powerful enough to play those graphics in true live, dynamic gameplay. So that video really has no relation to the real world and is more of a theoretical video showing what Unreal4 engine is theoretically capable of. Also, parts of that video show raytracing. Raytracing will demolish framerates especially for people not running a $1500 GeForce RTX 2080 Ti.

Sorry g25 and g27 and also mouse user can't get it!for them it's ok but for openminded racers just go to AC,Raceroom and then to ACC just compare how bad FFB is!Most big Youtubers are agreed with me!And they are using Direct drive wheels!Ofcourse its better then Pcars2 but nowhere close to AC1 and Raceroom or RF FFB!
This game makes my G27 with barely changed settings feel like a brand new wheel. In my hands a large bit better than AC, much better than Raceroom and comparable to RFactor 2.

The FFB in ACC pales in comparison to AC.

These are words / phrases I can associate with AC FFB;
Immediate
Direct
Informative
Detailed
Can feel rear slip easily

These are words / phrases I associate with ACC FFB;
Delayed?
Vague
Digital feeling
Can't tell what the car is doing at front or rear

Right decision from Kunos I think. I like their approach of delivering the best product they can even though it means they have to postpone the release date (I'm sure they will do it). I have enough patience to wait. :)

I watched a team of four software engineers write code for our aircraft simulator upgrade three weeks ago.
The code required to duplicate the output signal for a physical button push in the cockpit, required massive scripting...now multiply that hundreds of time and throw physics calculations into the mix.
The work load is massive.
Most folks...myself included, wouldn't have a clue where to begin. It is such a daunting task.
Utmost respect to the folks at Kunos Simulazioni for exploring ways to better implement features, while boosting the rate of change going forward.
We will all benefit from this.

2 months, and lack among other things, add cars, add tracks, multiplayer, physics, performance, damage, carrer, coordinate climate, are changing the code, rating, FFB,
compatibility with hardware, with peripherals, fix vr, try to incorporate triple screen
the innumerable bugs that arise with each addition, etc, etc

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies