Assetto Corsa Competizione: Sizeable Rewrite Underway - New Hotfix Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Hotfix.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni look likely to be busy in the months ahead, having already released 'build five' of the sim and a new hotfix today, the team have confirmed a sizeable rewriting is underway.

When I say rewriting, what I mean by that is Kunos are hard at work revisiting some of the code created for ACC so far, in an effort to maximise how the software will be developed going forward in order to bring new content and features to the simulation more quickly, and with greater ease than is possible at this moment in time.

Unfortunately for Kunos, that means a lot of work 'behind the scenes' will need to be undertaken to achieve this change in direction, a feat that the small Italian development team are in no way underestimating how time consuming and difficult that might be. With the simulation still at such an early stage of development, it is excellent to see Kunos are so dedicated to bringing about the best experience they can with this Unreal 4 game engine, and yet more evidence that the makers of netKar Pro and Assetto Corsa fully intend this new title to be their biggest and best creation to date.

The full Kunos statement:
Having a look at the 0.5 release patch notes, you will find that most changes are either new content or physics related. Regarding gameplay elements – including Multiplayer features – we decided to opt for a different path, which may need some explanation for non-developers.

While developing software, especially games, you constantly invent patterns and concepts. When we built the ACC gameplay during 2018, we aimed for a certain way to write the game logic, including everything from session handling, race timing, laptimes, penalties and so on. Our solution had some amazing feats and ways of working, but we also had to learn that one of the disadvantages was making the development of Multiplayer features not as efficient as we had wished for. You may have noticed that although we met our roadmap targets on time in terms of content and features, several things involving Multiplayer were late. This is not really unusual or surprising; moving a whole development team to a new engine and framework required us to learn about the new situation as the project evolved (but we didn't know where this would happen, obviously).

In December we faced the choice to either keep proceeding like that, adding as little changes as necessary to achieve a stable 1.0 Multiplayer, and then never to touch it again.

The alternative route is a rewrite of (a lot of) the code to switch to concepts that support our current needs and the things we learned. The disadvantage is obvious; we'd have to spend a lot of work to change ACC without – seemingly – adding gamplay related features and fixes for a certain amount of time, however, the gain is a much more stable environment, where we can keep adding features and also speed up future development.

I can tell it's unusual to go for a rewrite, but it expresses our approach and our plans to go on, even beyond ACC 1.0. Technically speaking, a few developers forked off the codebase and worked day and night to do the re-coding, with the goal of bringing those improvements to the main code as soon as possible. The new features on the list therefore are there, but not in this build, and we most probably will also bring them one after another even looking beyond the 1.0 release, since the development will continue to bring our audience the 2019 Season update, and more. ;)

Being myself also responsible for ACC Multiplayer development, I needed to slow down the work on the Rating System, but likely this re-work on some of the code that we use as a foundation will help the Rating System, too, to proceed even smoother.

As a bottom line: enjoy the new content, both the car and track (in my opinion) are fabulous, and see how ACC keeps developing in the future.

I'm writing this between Multiplayer tests (on the new code), we are on a very good way – but sadly we will not see this outside the test systems for the time being.

While the rewrite is a project that remains ongoing, Kunos are still working hard at the latest build of the software, and that can be further evidenced today by a very small new hotfix update for the recently released Emil Frey Jaguar G3, the car having come with a couple of issues (mainly around the audio), which has been addressed as part of the latest hotfix build, details below:

0.5.1 Changelog
  • Improved intake sound EQ (onboard view) for the Emil Frey Jaguar G3
  • Minor LOD tweaks on the Emil Frey Jaguar G3

Busy days, weeks and months are ahead at Kunos HQ!

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 5 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

No, I do not find ACC to be fun due to how the game is designed. I just do not see how the new features they had added will make it more enjoyable to drive a GT3 compared to other games that does not have detailed ECU mappings etc. However, possibly it is because how rough is the game that really tampers my enjoyment. The UI is a disaster and (understandably) lack of content, IMO.

The new ABS code is a lot better than AC while AC is already leaps and bounds better than the competition in ABS simulation.

It just sometimes I think about what's the point of adding some of these realistic features, like Pcars 2 adding 4 seasons that I'll be honest, I generally find it pretty useless. Winter is nearly unplayable other than some novelty from time to time (like RX in snowy Nords) while I stick to summer or autumn most of the time. Same goes for the ECU mapping, will most players find it useful? Maybe if you are doing 3 hours race all the time, that will be tremendously useful and immersive.

I completely understand and respect that but there are obviously quite a lot of people who love this hardcore realism where every detail is implemented in the game. Thats atleast in my opinion the reason why we have sims: They should make the reality accessable for everyone from home. And therefore there should be every detail in the game otherwise it wouldnt be 100% the reality. I love the new Jag for example cause of how tricky it is to drive. I think there is no more challenging car in ACC and the "normal" AC than the Jag. For me its a huge joy everytime even if I only start a practice session without AI.

..on the other hand, the Jag is really fun to drive. If only i could finish a race weekend online... every time a session ends, all the other cars disappear, I am alone on the track and cannot even get out of the server, Esc key does not work.

This:
They know they do not reach the stipulated date, they have a lot to correct, a lot. The fanboys will support them but the rest we know how bad the company is
You "the rest" know how bad the company is??????????????
You played Assetto Corsa, at least once???????????????????
And this Early Access program show what a GOOD company they are !!!!!!!!!!!!

2 months away, no competitive structure, no working netcode, no racing details
Yesterday I really enjoy a race online. No problem at all except some people online and not net code.
Still it is EARLY ACCESS

compatibility with hardware, with peripherals, fix vr, try to incorporate triple screen
Yes, some hardware are incompatible with the sim AT THIS MOMENT. Still, my hardware work GREAT with it.
And I am on triple screen and I complained a lot about this. Still it is EARLY ACCESS

that it is not going to be a good product
This is pure witchcraft or a real prophecy. Just one thing: it is EARLY ACCESS

And about freedom of speech ... I live in a ex communist country and I know how easy this can be lost. And when is lost how hard is to take it back.
The freedom is not something you deserve, is something you must conquer and fight for.

After having spent a lot of online racing through different titles and car classes the past few years (PCars2, AC, iRacing), I come to the bitter conclusion for me that GT3 car class is just not a good class for Sim Racing; too slow, too good aerodynamics in relation to the power output, boring handling.
I wished they had introduced at least one other class in the performance segment of +/- Formula 3.
I think Kunos shows real dedication to their work, probably more than any other Sim developer company. Had a longer talk with Marco at the Sim Expo last year. You could feel the committment they have for the genre, so I am sure the title will be class A. Just with the wrong cars ;-).

I wonder what stats they got off Minorating & even just random server usage - anecdotal evidence from a few years of AC online use suggests that GT3 was the most popular thing by far. I don't like GT3 either, I much prefer the higher power & mass to grip of more vintage cars, but there is a very good chance IMO that we'll see GT4 in ACC at some point, given it's the SRO's big thing. I've heared real drivers say the same thing about real GT3 as you did, so perhaps the sim should be given some real credit there :p

THATS the Unreal4 engine - and the result looks the same as AC? Spare me the lighting effects - its been conquered by Xfab in AC.
I know the application of the engine varies, but come on.
If its slipped anyone's mind on what Unreal4 can do - just watch.

I guess it all depends on the visual artist team. it is great that they have carried over their visual style from ac to the unreal engine, and I find the visuals in Assetto Corsa competizione better than those in Assetto Corsa, as ac did not have changeable weather.

KartKraft visuals are a good example of how realistic the unreal engine graphics can look in a motor vehicle simulator.

Basic criticism
Basic criticism. If by this you mean cut to the base of the work of ACC peoples, yes IT IS.
Please read it again:
the rest we know how bad the company is
no competitive structure, no working netcode, no racing details
phrases I associate with ACC FFB;
Delayed? 100%
ACC it pure disapointment about FFB
This is maybe some kind of CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM?????
Please be equidistant and bring some good and substantiated critics and for sure I will hit agree button. BUT NOT THE ABOVE ONES

Last edited:
I really hope they quickly fix the multiplayer because otherwise ACC with all those complex rating systems makes little sense. Honestly, I don't understand the reason of having 6, 7 ratings. It's good to have but not important. I feel they have taken a wrong turn this time, but well it's still early to say, so the best of luck.

I agree on that and having a more complex method to measure skills is IMO a good thing, but would be better hidden behind the curtains and combined into a simple rank. I like it in pCars 2 as well as the SRS-method. Both are more complex than automated iRacing with full automatism and zero intelligence behind, but to put it into simple letters and numbers make more sense.

Regarding GT3, it makes a great basis for a sim. Sprint, endurance, driver changes, strategy with weather, driver ratings and consistent content with exquisite detail will be an amazing sim. Obviously during EA things have to be straightened out. So I don't get the abject negativity at all. Probably would be better if they didn't do EA and just pushed it out from complete beta or final.

Did I mention TrackIR?

Early Access is a bogus buzzword made up by devs to justify selling janky **** to consumers and deflect any valid criticism as "the game isn't done yet."

Serious question to those who downvoted:

We're closer to the end of Early Access than the beginning.

What happens if the same complaints listed in this thread, are present at 1.0 launch?

Why is it wrong to criticize the game on March 19th, when it's v0.9 early access, but one day later on March 20th, when it says Version 1.0 in the bottom corner of the screen but still has the same crop of issues, is criticism suddenly okay?

Yeah, doesn't make much sense eh?

That's the argument some are trying to make.

Early Access is a bogus buzzword made up by devs to justify selling janky **** to consumers and deflect any valid criticism as "the game isn't done yet."
Serious question to those who downvoted:

We're closer to the end of Early Access than the beginning.

What happens if the same complaints listed in this thread, are present at 1.0 launch?

Why is it wrong to criticize the game on March 19th, when it's v0.9 early access, but one day later on March 20th, when it says Version 1.0 in the bottom corner of the screen but still has the same crop of issues, is criticism suddenly okay?

Yeah, doesn't make much sense eh?

That's the argument some are trying to make.
Will it run on Mad Box ?

I'd rather work as a lion or bear feeder at a local zoo than work as Community Manager at Kunos.

And come on! We need to get our priorities straight as a sim-racing community!

AnFCt67.png

No mouse steering no buy!

You guys keep disappointing!

Seriously though, this was absolutely the call from Kunos.

This is pure POISON. This is the ugliest face of internet forum and freedom of speech.
Please people, DON'T DO WHAT YOU DOING. You have nothing to win only to lose.
In the near future because of people like you the internet censorship will rise and we all we got lost our freedom of speech. BECAUSE OF YOU. This is not a joke, please think and reconsider what you doing online. Be civilized and polite. Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't ruin this !!!!!!!!!!

My comment is not civilised?
What are you smoking, my dude?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back