Anyone moving to AMD Powerful Radeon RX 6000 Series Big Navi ?

Don't think its enough. I have had a bunch of AMD cards in the past and it always ends up the same way, some weirdannoying bug or problem for the life of the card. I already know AMD has significant issues with Minecraft which I do play and that is a big problem when the fps is below 60 due to their terrible OpenGL drivers. It isn't so much the RTX performance or DLSS but also the VR performance and tech which still lags behind a lot. AMD has a history with "bad drivers", bad customer experiences and until they commit to resolving the issues that cause it they don't get to charge the same price for similar performance to Nvidia, that isn't competitive in my experience.

I can't get a 3080, I have had 8 cancellations on cards I thought were fine and bought from reputable dealers, there is a lot of fraud and stock mistakes around the 3080s happening. But I think I will just wait for it to become available.
Funny, loved my 7870 and used it till about half year ago. Have the
RX 5700 XT
Its OK for the cost.

On average weaker at 4k but still very competitive, beats 3080 in 1080p and at 1440p, encoder is still garbage so streamers are out, productivity is not good at all this time either. Also Raytracing is only just a bit faster than a 2080ti not competitive to the 3080. This could improve with driver optimisations however. Also their version of DLSS out in January.

But all in all 6800xt looks like a seriously good card if you want to play traditional rasterized games, I think its going to do very well in most of the sims we use, but still need to see some iRacing and ACC benchmarks to confirm. Pretty bloody impressive considering the 5700xt only came out a year ago and its 80% faster. AMD now a competitor at the high end again.

Sold out in 15 minutes though so meh... Will see if restock is as bad as the 3080 is. AIB cards come out on the 25th I think this time next week.

What a lad! Guess we'll find out shortly then.

1605737478789.png

Good luck with that. Stock was a joke here sold out instantly. The best I managed was to get a 6800 into the shopping cart at scan.co.uk, but could not checkout. In Switzerland Digitec I don't think I even saw it listed in stock. But then the same thing happened with the 5600x.

Maybe there will be more stock of AIB cards next week, but not expecting much tbh. Think its another waiting game.

Also, this guy Frank Azor AMDs marketing face of Radeon is an absolute clown:

1605769773900.png

yes, when I saw that I thought great idea, you can already get one at work, probably do have one and decided to take another out of circulation from customers to prove a point that was completely wrong in the first place.

Japan for some reason still has heaps of 3070’s in stock but I have a 5700XT and a single 1080 p monitor. I’m debating waiting until after I buy triple 1440’s to upgrade my GPU.

Good luck with that. Stock was a joke here sold out instantly. The best I managed was to get a 6800 into the shopping cart at scan.co.uk, but could not checkout. In Switzerland Digitec I don't think I even saw it listed in stock. But then the same thing happened with the 5600x.

Maybe there will be more stock of AIB cards next week, but not expecting much tbh. Think its another waiting game.

Also, this guy Frank Azor AMDs marketing face of Radeon is an absolute clown:

View attachment 420810
I clicked on and put one of the RX6800XT into the shopping cart at AMD direct.
Went to the cart logo to pay and the item miraculously disappeared as I advanced to checkout.
The usual 'page cannot be found'
So close and yet so far.
I wonder how many of these actually were produced and sold Worldwide.
I'll wait now and continue to simrace on the old stop-gap until they become available.

I think we need a good article showing exactly how VRAM is utilized in terms of loading and unloading during gameplay.
If RTX3080 with 10GB of GDDR6X can load, unload and refresh textures in a shorter time span than a 6800XT with it's 16GB of GDDR6, this might all be irrelevant.
I run GTR2, GT Legends, Rfactor2 (seldom), Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Race Room, Automobilista 1/2, Race07.
VRAM amount more so than pure VRAM speed, is most important to allow successful running with 30+ cars on track.
For this reason alone, I'm looking at the 6800XT.
Anybody here able to get and try out that card with any of those racing titles?
What is the experience?

Last edited:
Have we never been able to run races with those grids before we had cards with 16gb of vram?

I haven't seen anything yet that has suggested the 3080's have fallen behind specifically because of vram and in something like the new msfs there was talk of how nvidia would struggle specifically on that point yet it didn't.

However both cards are good overall in performance so you only lose a bit there for the insurance of memory.

I think we need a good article showing exactly how VRAM is utilized in terms of loading and unloading during gameplay.

I'd read a detailed analysis how -say- ACC manages textures and how much memory is the high watermark solo and with 20 different cars.

The difficulty is now with all the dynamic loading into VRAM is its completely unclear how much is necessary. Just testing it is tricky, you would need to consume VRAM before launching the game to reduce the amount available and then ensure it was maintained in GPU memory without causing performance degradation, as far as I know there isn't directly paging from the GPU and you can reserve the space so it ought to be possible but it likely requires some custom code.

But even then maybe you can expose the genuine minimum for a given set of settings before it goes off a cliff edge, but before that point there is probably a growth in the number of slow frames and stutters caused by loading in. VRAM is a giant cache nowadays alongside necessary storage so it is really hard to evaluate how much any given game really needs, your scenario might just not be showing a case where VRAM residence is being swapped.

It is not an easy thing to test. The benchmarks that show the frametimes give us a good indication if there is a problem and so far there isn't much sign there is any particular problem with the 3080 levels of VRAM in any of the games reviewers are testing.

I should note also people think that games have a certain need and then the hardware either matches or it doesn't, that isn't how it works at all. The game is "optimised" towards particular hardware and very popular hardware will be something specifically targeted. If you have two cards of similar performance more or less but one has 50% more VRAM you target the lower amount or the most popular and that is about it, maybe you provide a tick up in object or texture quality but extra VRAM rarely nets you much of anything setting wise as General performance + VRAM amount = a graphics generation.

Last edited:
Yeah I've seen no evidence that the 8GB GDDR6 is the holdback for the 3000 series. The 3070 is within punching distance of the 6800 at 4k, and the 3080 is ahead everywhere it counts at 4k. And that's with much less VRAM. I don't mind turning down a setting or two to make a 3070 usable at 3x1440p.

In Japan you can still find a 3070 with three fans pretty close to Japan’s MSRP (about $75 more than the US price).
The 6800/XT all sold out fifteen minutes after launch. I think AMD has even less stock than Nvidia.

Nobody will die because they didn't get an AMD card at launch.
That said....
The launch was completely disappointing to say the least.
AMD really 'screwed the pooch' on this one.
Were they not listening to the pulse of the gaming community?
Knowing the levels of anticipation and the Nvidia shortages already in play, why would they insist AIB's launch a full week after the official launch?
That makes absolutely zero sense.
There was never any doubt the FE cards were going to sell out immediately.
Seems a bit oblivious to the needs of their marketing audience.

Yeah I've seen no evidence that the 8GB GDDR6 is the holdback for the 3000 series.

Doom Eternal at 4k Ultra nightmare preset uses 9gb of VRAM. 6800 is 30% faster in that game compared to the 3070 with those settings. Just one example but there will be many more in the next year.

Its ok at 4k for now but its borderline really, I really would not consider a 3070 for triple 1440p, maybe if you ran them at 1080p and wait another year for a better gpu. I would not consider the 2080ti either and that has more vram and higher memory bandwidth. a 3080 was only just about good enough in benchmarks. Um not convinced the 6800xt will work well at triple 1440p because of the 256bit memory bandwidth and infinity cache scales better at lower resolutions.

The launch was completely disappointing to say the least.
AMD really 'screwed the pooch' on this one.
Were they not listening to the pulse of the gaming community?
Knowing the levels of anticipation and the Nvidia shortages already in play, why would they insist AIB's launch a full week after the official launch?
That makes absolutely zero sense.
There was never any doubt the FE cards were going to sell out immediately.
Seems a bit oblivious to the needs of their marketing audience.

Yeah it was rubbish. Don't think next week will be much better, maybe get a preorder in at best. Doesn't bode well for the 6900xt which is AMD only. Bet those are going to be unicorns until AIBs get the green light to make them. How long will that be, probably long enough for a 3080ti to come in and run rings around it.

I got a 5800x preorder last week at digitec in Switzerland, which is stated to arrive mid Janurary, the 5900x preorders are huge by comparison and no date stated, and looks like its going to take far longer at least here anyway, will chance getting a 6800xt next week but if i can't even get a preorder then i'm done with thinking about upgrades till this all blows over. Not good for the head really.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back