Anyone moving to AMD Powerful Radeon RX 6000 Series Big Navi ?

Well, I had my heart set on the new 3080 but with "can't buy one" supplies and through the roof pricing, AMD had a great launch today. I hope the numbers advertised will be proven in upcoming reviews once it launches. I might be moving to AMD's 6900XT (3090 performance for $999), anyone else have similar thoughts?

I was ready to plant down the readies on a shiny new 3080 on launch day. Failed to get one like 99% on the gaming community. My disappointment waned over time in light of AMD coming soon. And now sort of grateful to Nvidia's poor supply. I've stuck with Nvidia since the 970, and subsequent GPU upgrades since then. Definitely edging towards AMD now, though it seems odd after all these years. I think I have developed some kind of Nvidia Stockholm syndrome.

I'm already looking at Free sync and non-sync monitors, I have already decided to jump ship from Intel for my next build I have all the parts except the CPU, Im really looking forward to the 5900X release, but the GPU issue has now got really exciting.
For the record my friend and I both had the same RTX2080 card he has a 3900X and I have the 9900k I can get around 6fps more on ACC, but he upgraded to a 3080 he now gets 40fps more than me

Last edited:
Don't think its enough. I have had a bunch of AMD cards in the past and it always ends up the same way, some weirdannoying bug or problem for the life of the card. I already know AMD has significant issues with Minecraft which I do play and that is a big problem when the fps is below 60 due to their terrible OpenGL drivers. It isn't so much the RTX performance or DLSS but also the VR performance and tech which still lags behind a lot. AMD has a history with "bad drivers", bad customer experiences and until they commit to resolving the issues that cause it they don't get to charge the same price for similar performance to Nvidia, that isn't competitive in my experience.

I can't get a 3080, I have had 8 cancellations on cards I thought were fine and bought from reputable dealers, there is a lot of fraud and stock mistakes around the 3080s happening. But I think I will just wait for it to become available.

I hear solitaire is pretty much trouble free. But seriously how much will these new cards improve sim racing? I mean VR limits are the viewers them selves, no? Or is it for ultrawide 4k?

I have had lots of cards over the years, and maybe I missed the driver issues but I have never witnessed any issue with drivers, apart from terrible crossfire performance with 2 x 270s, I recall my Radeon 9800pro being an amazing card as was the GeForce 256 DDR back in its time.

My last AMD card was the R9 270 I've been back with Nvidia for my last three cards, I really do think this is going to be the AMD era for a while now.
For the record I have had almost equal amounts of Nvidia and AMD cards, I am not loyal to either company I'm loyal to me and what they can do for me and if its AMD this time so be it.

This backup PC I'm on would probably just about manage solitary, AMD A10 / HD7790 wasn't all that back in the day and it's not really aged well :p

Just a note to anyone who has suffered from poor drivers and support I feel for you as I had a torrid time with my GTX970 not playing nicely with 40% of games.

I'm waiting for the new 3dfx card to come out.
used to have one of those.....
51HF7WFKKAL._AC_SX450_.jpg

Having had a Radeon Vii for about a year and a half now, mainly for work but some desktop gaming at 1440p and 4k as well, I've not really experienced any bugs or issues at all gaming with it maybe i've just been lucky playing titles that work ok, I actually quite like the drivers and the interface over Nvidias stuck in the 1990s window system. Will say though the video encoder for streaming is garbage and is something that needs fixing especially if they are charging similar prices.

I think the real issues AMD need to solve is this wildly different performances between different titles, i.e. between APIs and game engines, like for example on the Radeon Vii anything using the Frostbite engine (Battlefield V etc) is insanely good performance better than the 2080, but then many tiles using Unreal engine (Outer Worlds, ACC) sucks and worse than the 2070. ACC for example on the Radeon Vii is pretty underwhelming with like 50fps at 1440p epic settings, 5700xt is also underwhelming I think in ACC as well. Maybe this cashe system solves some of these engine issues, IDK.

So yeah before everyone goes wild on the AMD hypetrain need to be absolutely sure how it performs in the titles you want to use.

I'm thinking of getting a 6800xt maybe for my work machine anyway, would serve as a testbed for simracing as well.

I had Voodoo 2 SLI

But this :confused: :roflmao:

1-57.jpg

Last edited:
I have been a team green for the past 18 years, and no loyalty to any brand. I get what fits my pocket, and whatever gives me the performance needed. The 3090 is overpriced to me at $1500+, offering very little over the 3080 with a big hike in price. Now that AMD is offering a performance alternative, I have to take them into consideration. I won't pay scalper's price for any brand.

Yes, I have been thinking a lot about AMD's drivers, but tbh Nvidia has their shares of issues as well. Going from reviews, friends and family, it seems AMD drivers are ironed out at this point. My 9700k and 1080ti is showing its weakness. I recently started to stream to Twitch with OBS. I get small occasional stutter, especially sinced I moved to a 5120x1440 ultrawide. I want to stay near the 120FPS with as much eye candy as possible on my next build.

The rage mode when paired with a Ryzen 3 is worth a look, so my new plan (since I can't get a 3080 at MSRP) is to move to a 5900X and a 6900XT. I will definitely wait for independent reviews before I make a jump. Will there be enough GPUs is my next question?

Last edited:
I've been using AMD/ATI stuff since the days of the Athlon XP, ol' XP 2500 that could be turned into XP 3000 with just some BIOS fiddling. And back then (9600 Pro times) ATI was said to produce less fps than NVidia, but better image quality :cautious: Never had huge driver issues, tho remember some years ago needing to do 7zip trickery to get a Control Center version to accept my card...

..as my RX580 is the bottleneck in my current system, I'll keep my eyes open for newer mid range variants of this new family. Nothing urgent tho.

Now that AMD is offering a performance alternative,

Which sims you using? If ACC is the priority like I said earlier need to play close attention to unreal engine game benchmarks. Hardware unboxed usually throw in an outer worlds benchmark in comparison charts. Like if a 6900xt is slower than a 3080 in ACC specifically then its not good value to you even if it wins in everything else.

I recently started to stream to Twitch with OBS

Right so you definitely need to pay attention to streamer techtuber channels and pray they review this AMD card. The nvenc encoder even on the 1080ti is ahead of amds current gen on 5700xt. I get round this issue by cpu encoding on my radeon vii system using a 16 core.
Check Alpha Gaming and EposVox yt channels around launch, but suspect they will be slow to review. Its a risk for sure in your case.

If the encoder has not been upgraded to an equal level to nvidia (honestly AMD would be mad to do this given how streaming is becoming more and more popular) you might be better off with nvidia if you stream and don't have a dedicated 2 pc setup. Its unclear at this point.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.8%