Anyone moving to AMD Powerful Radeon RX 6000 Series Big Navi ?

I was considering an AMD card but monitor connectivity with 2 Display ports & 1 HDMI has counted me out. I have triple screens connected to my 2080's Display ports & HDMI connection to my TV. Looks like I am stuck with Nvidia.

i just hope they don't f*** up the Driver again. First few Drivers of the 5000 Series were a Nightmare.
But i'll still use my 5700XT so i won't upgrade.

I was considering an AMD card but monitor connectivity with 2 Display ports & 1 HDMI has counted me out. I have triple screens connected to my 2080's Display ports & HDMI connection to my TV. Looks like I am stuck with Nvidia.

Very good point to raise, although doesnt the usb c port support display port? Just needs a specific cable or dongle. Not a deal breaker in my mind.

i just hope they don't f*** up the Driver again. First few Drivers of the 5000 Series were a Nightmare.

Yeah they ballsed up the driver at launch for Radeon Vii where you couldn't overlock it for initial reviews which was embarracing. So yeah AMD launch reviews have not been great in terms of drivers, but still that should be considered as early adopter syndrome and not to be confused with long term driver use.
Lets see what happens this time. YT is gonna be all over it if they step out of line at launch.

I sold my GTX1080Ti six weeks prior to the RTX3080 reveal in anticipation of the new cards.
It was still serving me quite well at the time but I wanted a bit more reserve for VR titles moving forward.
I was almost certain it'd be another Nvidia replacement.
Now....not so much.
The price versus performance has brought AMD fully into play again.
My last AMD card dates all the way back to the HD4850x2.
I did not keep that card for very long because of driver issues...or should I say lack of driver issues.
I briefly 'toyed' with a HD7950 but that too was for approximately three days, before giving it away.
This new series looks really, really appealing.
If simracing reports are favorable on things like stability and smoothness, I will almost certainly purchase the 6800XT this time out.
I don't need or care about DLSS, ray-tracing or even all out highest fps.
Fluid track running is my biggest requirement.

Last edited:
Yeah agreed. What apps you using? Just out of curiosity. I think if I went down the Blender or C4D route using redshift or octane or whatever I'd be forced to get Nvidia. I mean would be good to see how these cards perform using OpenCL though in non CUDA specific engines.

Molecular dynamics modeling. One of the packages only does CUDA, not OpenCL. Shame, really.

They also have a USB-C connection which is meant as a one cable solution for VR but you should be able to connect one of your triple screens to that.

It'll soon be time for the annual big december update, that usually breaks things for a while...

I noticed the C connection yet assumed only used for VR headset. Will have to reconsider my options then.

Every december AMD gives its driver package a make-over, adding a bunch of new features while quietly removing others. One of the features it quietly removed last year was multi monitor support... two months after i picked up a 5700xt specifically to run triple 1080's. The necessary "Radeon Additional Settings" is being included with some drivers but not others, and then you have to dig around your C: drive to find it. Am currently on a driver from april.

So yes, you can use triples but the situation is hardly ideal.

The cards seem evenly matched from what I see, I don't think the 3080 is worse than the AMD equivalent. So the only advantage to switching to AMD is for a better price?

And availability ;)
It's not available at all yet. I'm in the cue for a Nvidia card, to get a AMD card I'd have to leave this cue and get in a different cue. I'm hoping to have a new card before the Christmas break, so I'd be very apprehensive about switching cues.

I do get use out of Nvidias extra features in adobe products (although I'm only using Lightroom and photoshop). I should probably look up which one would be better for video editing. I use Davinci.

Which sims you using? If ACC is the priority like I said earlier need to play close attention to unreal engine game benchmarks. Hardware unboxed usually throw in an outer worlds benchmark in comparison charts. Like if a 6900xt is slower than a 3080 in ACC specifically then its not good value to you even if it wins in everything else.

ACC is my sim priority and will venture into iracing again. I play many titles with both engines mentioned so I will want to see a wide range of benchmarks. I don't need max FPS but I do want to hover around the 100-120, especially when sim racing. I also play competitive esport and need input lag to be as low as possible and the rage mode has sparked some interest. I hope it is more than just media marketing, but it's a plus if it actually works, either way, it can't hurt.

I'll definitely check out the YT stuff you mentioned for the streaming. On ACC, when streaming the cpu overload blinks quite frequently, signaling my issue is more on the cpu side. I am starting to run more applications simultaneously, and just need more cores at this point.

Last edited:
I also play competitive esport and need input lag to be as low as possible and the rage mode has sparked some interest. I hope it is more than just media marketing, but it's a plus if it actually works, either way, it can't hurt.
Sounds like marketing to me. Gamer Nexus said it looked like it was going to give 1 or 2 fps.

Sounds like marketing to me. Gamer Nexus said it looked like it was going to give 1 or 2 fps.
The FPS gained if any is not a concern for me but the reduction in input lag can make a tremendous difference especially when i am connected to EU servers during match time.

Last edited:
The cards seem evenly matched from what I see, I don't think the 3080 is worse than the AMD equivalent. So the only advantage to switching to AMD is for a better price?

In the titles chosen by AMD... I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's worth to remember that Nvidia has always been better in DX11, relatively speaking, due to more DX11 specific optimizations in architecture and drivers.

In the titles chosen by AMD... I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's worth to remember that Nvidia has always been better in DX11, relatively speaking, due to more DX11 specific optimizations in architecture and drivers.
The fact we're talking like this shows it's extremely close. I think the advice might be to choose AMD unless you need Nvidia features. I'm still going to stick with Nvidia this time around though.

On ACC, when streaming the cpu overload blinks quite frequently, signaling my issue is more on the cpu side

Which encoder settings are you using in obs? It shouldn't overload the cpu using Nvenc hardware encoder. With that 8c/8t 9700k cpu should definitely avoid using h264 software encoding.

The two YT channels i mentioned are both a great resource for understanding how to setup professional streaming channels and go into all this technical stuff in great detail.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.0%