Anyone moving to AMD Powerful Radeon RX 6000 Series Big Navi ?

The whole GPU launch saga from (both Nvidia and AMD) is a disappointment.
It is now going over like a bad joke.
On the AMD side... little to no stock despite watching for two months as their usual clients and much of the Nvidia 'faithful' stated they'd be buying on release.
Staggering the AIB launch...all the while knowing there'd already be massive shortages, did not help matters.
Some of those AIB partners are now coming to market with pricing far over MSRP.
Many of the cards are advertised as much as $170 over...despite some using less expensive components.
In a lot of ways AMD's launch was even worse than Nvidia's.
They had time to react to production and anticipated demand.
Nvidia can blame their lack of product on a new partnership, which may or may not produce the numbers.
AMD is already partnered in a proven, high yield process capable of getting the die out.
Short of a lack of workforce to assemble these cards, there really was no excuse.

Last edited:
I’m happy to stick with my 3090 now I’ve got my watercooling here and new pc partly built, I still feel at gaming the 6900xt will blow away the 3090,
People seem to think it’s way overpriced to the 3080 I owned a 3080 for 3 days sold it at 100$ loss not really into scalping hard working people but anyways I do feel the extra 14gb is worth the price jump in 3ds max I saw 210% gains these cards are monsters in workstations the AMD cards are not designed for this type of application and editing/rendering and such there no good for people streaming and such also well not like the Nvidia cards anyways so I’m really pleased with upgrading specially now my G9 is running the latest firmware patch I did last week I’m back to 240hz Gsync 10bit colour with HDR,
I did purchase a AMD Ryzen 5950x and a Samsung 980pro I installed in my wip new pc build I’m pottering away at currently :)
BEDDFEBF-7B72-470D-9558-E86E1142CEE6.jpeg
3F7591F5-92FC-4D6B-ACA3-AF6CD79E9DA6.jpeg

567D9528-3C3F-4C93-AFEB-D584ACA94E9C.jpeg

On the AMD side... little to no stock despite watching for two months as their usual clients and much of the Nvidia 'faithful' stated they'd be buying on release.
2 months isn't enough time for them to significantly change their production numbers. They would have to make changes to all levels of production which isn't easy at this moment in time. The fact is for AMD and Nvidia this release was probably a huge financial success with the promise of more financial success to come. They would have geared their production to be profitable, so if they sold all their stock then they won as far as they're concerned. I can have some sympathy, in that with covid everything was more difficult and there's been warnings about economies collapsing at any moment. It would have been somewhat risky to produce a lot of the cards and then end up stuck with them if people couldn't buy.

People seem to think it’s way overpriced to the 3080 I owned a 3080 for 3 days sold it at 100$ loss not really into scalping hard working people but anyways I do feel the extra 14gb is worth the price jump in 3ds max I saw 210% gains these cards are monsters in workstations the AMD cards are not designed for this type of application and editing/rendering and such there no good for people streaming and such also well not like the Nvidia cards
I don't do rendering but I use photoshop and davinci resolve. So what your telling me is the 3090 is a gaming business card. I'm something of a business man myself.

2 months isn't enough time for them to significantly change their production numbers. They would have to make changes to all levels of production which isn't easy at this moment in time. The fact is for AMD and Nvidia this release was probably a huge financial success with the promise of more financial success to come. They would have geared their production to be profitable, so if they sold all their stock then they won as far as they're concerned. I can have some sympathy, in that with covid everything was more difficult and there's been warnings about economies collapsing at any moment. It would have been somewhat risky to produce a lot of the cards and then end up stuck with them if people couldn't buy.

I don't do rendering but I use photoshop and davinci resolve. So what your telling me is the 3090 is a gaming business card. I'm something of a business man myself.
Yes I have photoshop running 20gb roughly from my 3090 and about 45gb of ram out of my 64 I’ve never seen it run so smooth specially working in 3D Just a monster like I say from my 2080ti and 3080 both 11/10gb I’m seeing over 200% gains in 3ds max well pleased with the card even if it was almost twice the price just raw power.

Last edited:
Nice build @CC!

People seem to think it’s way overpriced to the 3080 I owned a 3080 for 3 days sold it at 100$ loss not really into scalping hard working people but anyways I do feel the extra 14gb is worth the price jump in 3ds max I saw 210% gains these cards are monsters in workstations

Absolutely agree, using it for that its worth every penny. If I used Blender, 3Dsmax, Vray, Redshift, Octane or any raytraced based rendering software I'd be all over a 3090.

However I use Vectorworks and Lumion 10 as an Architecture visualisation workflow. Lumion is a DX11 based renderer and does not use CUDA, its a game engine renderer and works very well for creating visualisations and videos of Architecture models. Vectorworks also does not leverage pro drivers, and Nvidia has no advantage either, AMD actually works better in this app for some things such as PDF import for overlays layout with no slow down, Nvidia becomes super jank with PDF import, not sure why, maybe because it was developed for Mac.
Open GL on AMD works fine in Vectorworks as well even with huge models with lots of trees. Think their OpenGL driver is only rubbish for games not productivity.

I think its going to be Nvidia all the way with Resolve. The Radeon Vii was a wildcard and did as well as a 2080ti in Resolve specifically, in fact its the main selling point for the Radeon Vii Pro, but think the 6800xt might not fare so well with its game focused architecture. Saying that no benchmark for it yet. Keep an eye out on Puget systems.

Changing production levels...despite Covid, is not as difficult as you may be led to believe.
Both AMD and Nvidia do a forecast for pre-production based on market speculation versus economic factors.
They do so with the option to increase or decrease production with very little fanfare.
The biggest challenges to increases of production are logistic support and the import compliance.
China and Taiwan have a lot of folks back at work, despite what State-side sellers use to justify shortages.
I work with and speak on a daily basis to lots of folks from these countries.
These are folks who move around from place to place daily as part of their job.
The have a finger on the 'pulse' of what is actually happening there.
While they are some reductions in the workforce, it is not all doom and gloom.

Last edited:
Changing production levels...despite Covid, is not as difficult as you may be led to believe.
The delays can come from weird places though. Where I work has been flat out since May, never been so busy, we've manage to keep our main supplies well stocked (we're buying twice what we usually would just to make sure) but one little thing slowed production. A clutch broke in an auto feed screwdriver. Took 3 weeks to get the part. It didn't stop production but it slowed things down a lot.

I'm just not going to assume that there was any bad intentions or stupidity involved in the current supply issues, there could be good reasons which might included fear of what the market is going to be like next month or the month after. Ramping up production could mean buying months worth of stock, not just enough to cover immediate needs. I know they're in a completely different market and league to where I work but I'm giving everybody the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

Reactions: CC
The whole GPU launch saga from (both Nvidia and AMD) is a disappointment.
It is now going over like a bad joke.
Staggering the AIB launch...all the while knowing there'd already be massive shortages, did not help matters.
Some of those AIB partners are now coming to market with pricing far over MSRP.
Many of the cards are advertised as much as $170 over...despite some using less expensive components.
In a lot of ways AMD's launch was even worse than Nvidia's.
They had time to react to production and anticipated demand.
Nvidia can blame their lack of product on a new partnership, which may or may not produce the numbers.
AMD is already partnered in a proven, high yield process capable of getting the die out.
Short of a lack of workforce to assemble these cards, there really was no excuse.

Last edited:
Dan Suzuki's review of the 6800xt in iRacing and ACC.
As expected 6800xt is competative at 1440p single screen with the 3080, but not at triple 1080p and triple 1440p. Iracing has SMP optimisation for Nvidia GPU's using triples, and in ACC it just gets left behind using triples.
He does not go into 4k or ultrawide resolutions.

Just ordered an RX 6800.
I have a 3070 MSI but the 3070 won't send audio to my Index headset. I've already confirmed the headset works on my Mac with RX 5500 GPU and my Reverb, monitor and other stuff work on HDMI audio with Nvidia. I've tried everything, reformatted and uninstalled all other drivers. Used every Nvidia driver compatible with 3070.

If the 6800 works in Audio with the Valve Index, then I know it's not my system or the headset. If audio doesn't work, I'll just test them both in sim racing in VR and keep the one that offers the best performance. I'll sell the extra for what I paid and not a dollar more.
Before anyone asks, I can't sell to you. I live in Japan and I will not eat the shipping cost (It'll be at least $50 to ship it), and Japan's MSRP is higher than overseas. My 3070 was $700 after taxes and my 6800 is $950 (Red Devil).

Just ordered an RX 6800.
I have a 3070 MSI but the 3070 won't send audio to my Index headset. I've already confirmed the headset works on my Mac with RX 5500 GPU and my Reverb, monitor and other stuff work on HDMI audio with Nvidia. I've tried everything, reformatted and uninstalled all other drivers. Used every Nvidia driver compatible with 3070.

If the 6800 works in Audio with the Valve Index, then I know it's not my system or the headset. If audio doesn't work, I'll just test them both in sim racing in VR and keep the one that offers the best performance. I'll sell the extra for what I paid and not a dollar more.
Before anyone asks, I can't sell to you. I live in Japan and I will not eat the shipping cost (It'll be at least $50 to ship it), and Japan's MSRP is higher than overseas. My 3070 was $700 after taxes and my 6800 is $950 (Red Devil).
$371 above MSRP for a 6800...non-XT?
Is that right?
Wow!...
You must really love gaming.

$371 above MSRP for a 6800...non-XT?
Is that right?
Wow!...
You must really love gaming.
MSRP on 6800 doesn't exist.

Only the AMD branded ones directly from AMD were MSRP.
Everything else has a massive markup.
Add to that Japan has an across the board 7% import tariff. I even had to pay an extra 85 euro for my Simucube 2.

So $950 after tax = $855. After import duties, $795. Private company is bringing it in, and they have no competition, I assume they are charging 15% for their own profit.

We also spend thousands of dollars on toy steering wheels to drive fake cars. I think its safe to say anyone it this forums really loves gaming.
Ah!...okay.
Some may see it as a toy but I can almost guarantee that most don't.
Unless it is really, really bad, most simulation software basically offers training in some form or other.
Regardless of how some interpret it...you are gaining something useful from even the most basic simulators.
It can be hand-eye coordination, vehicle slide correction, vehicle placement on corner entry/exit, etc...
I don't view the benefit of simracing any different than those gained in the full-flight, level D simulator I work on as a profession.

Last edited:
Ah!...okay.
Some may see it as a toy but I can almost guarantee that most don't.
Unless it is really, really bad, most simulation software basically offers training in some form or other.
Regardless of how some interpret it...you are gaining something useful from even the most basic simulators.
It can be hand-eye coordination, vehicle slide correction, vehicle placement on corner entry/exit, etc...
I don't view the benefit of simracing any different than those gained in the full-flight, level D simulator I work on as a profession.
You're missing the point bud. Everyone here enjoys the hobby enough to spend more money that we probably should to get the best experience we can afford. whether its GPU, sim gear or whatever. Some want to have the best fidelity they can afford. And in his case the 6800 is what was available. Does the pricing suck right now? Hell ya. but the alternative is to not get it because thats the pricing now. Hell i just paid 1500 for a 6900xt because, well, that what the price is now. Also you can spin it how you want. we are still driving fake cars with fake steering wheels :roflmao:

Not missing a thing there guy.
Sure!... we all love racing/gaming.
That was never up for debate.
At question is...how much?
Some love it to the point of not caring if others are willing to violate them without vaseline.
The fact of the matter is there is 'good' money spent and 'bad' money spent.
I'm not here to tell you how to spend your money, it's just a general response to that overly inflated cost versus value.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%