Anyone moving to AMD Powerful Radeon RX 6000 Series Big Navi ?

RX6000-vs-RTX30-System-Configuration.png

AMD-Radeon-RX-6900XT-6800XT-6800-vs-GeForce-RTX-3090-3080-2080Ti-4K-1536x864.jpg

AMD-Radeon-RX-6900XT-6800XT-6800-vs-GeForce-RTX-3090-3080-2080Ti-2K-1536x864.jpg

Last edited:
I've been considering cancelling my 3080 order and possibly jumping over to AMD but just saw this:

I don't play I Racing, nor do I understand what SPS does so I'd like to know whether the subject in the video has any bearing on which card to choose for a VR user like myself?

There is so much we don't know on how the new cashe system on the rx6000 series translates to any of the sims we use, different and lower resolutions and vr etc. Maybe there is a performance bump that overcomes features like this to some degree, enough of one that its almost irrelevant. Complete unknown at this point.

But he's right that if you know for sure you are getting an advantage of a feature in a title like iracing with VR SPS then its a difficult thing to let go of, AMD have not marketed anything to do with VR and are targeting the main market and major titles for gaming first to increase their mind share. Our interests are secondary.

But if you don't play iracing then its not a factor in vr performance. None of the other sims support it, its one of those Nvidia big developer pay wall type optimisations like DLSS and RTX.

SPS is a Nvidia tech that reduces the overhead on the gpu when rendering for vr. Instead of rendering two seperate passes it renders the scene in one pass for both.

Its going to take time to work out where we stand with these new cards and buying one as an early adopter is always a risk. Asking if its OK to buy one instead of Nvidia at this point in time is your own risk until there are benchmarks available.

This is an interesting read:

It surmised that VR SPS only works when you are using a HMD that uses a single screen (oculus headsets?). Not independant screens. Wonder if anyone here could verify? The guy in the video swears by it though.

Just reporting that I’ve had zero issues with my RX 5700 Pulse, flashed to XT bios and overclocked. No issues whatsoever.
Cards I’ve owned:
RX 5700
1080 Ti
RX Vega 56
RX 570 x 6
GTX 1070
980 Ti Hybrid
R9 Nano
390X
GTX 970
Between the RX 570 x 6 (mined and sold all my stuff before the crash) and the GTX 1070, I left the US to move to Japan and sold my 1070. Before that I lived near a Microcenter so I got GPU’s for super cheap, if one of my friends needed a GPU I would sell them the one I was using and run over to MC and get something else... That’s why I went from R9 Nano to 980 Ti to 1070 even though they’re all similar in performance.
The card that gave me the most problems was the GTX 970. Literally a damn nightmare to deal with. Four RMA’s, 20+ driver downloads, restored Windows, replaced PSU to an industrial grade Silverstone...
I had to use one year old drivers for six months before Nvidia released a driver that wouldn’t give me the crash to desktop bug.
I trust AMD’s graphics division.
I’ll be buying an RX 6800XT.

Last edited:
I put in an order for a 3080 yesterday and should get it next week. I wasn't going to because the AMD's looked better then I was reminded of a few things.

One of them being SPS. So I tested on my rig with an index and at times I was getting a lot of improvement. I cant tell you how often etc but certainly when I turned off SPS on my system I was going to 45 frames and 60-80 at times on parts of the track that I always get 90 with SPS on. It spent most of its time at 90, just some parts not. When you are used to 90 all the time its not nice when you arrive to certain parts of tracks and it dips.

So that might only be on some tracks and maybe only some tracks when enough cars are in view etc.. it was so easy for me to reproduce by switching SPS on and off that I decided I would just go ahead with the nvidia because at the end of the day, even if the 6800xt was 10% better, it wont solve the frame rate issues brought about by the CPU not dealing with it and the GPU taking that load off the cpu.

@Trebormoore84 it's really an iracing thing at this stage. If iracing wasnt what I used most of the time and I didnt know first hand that sps is working well with it then I would have probably got a 6800xt to be honest.

Its a tough call really as I have also just built a new machine and waiting to drop a new ryzen 5800 in it.. So my machine performance may bump up enough to not require it, who knows.

At some point you (me) just have to accept that I might not be buying the best card and wont have bragging rights but I am happy that I am going to get a good upgrade though.

Last edited:
Just curious as I don't use VR yet. Agree its a fair point if you use iracing a lot. I do race iracing periodically as well. We need the same iracing twitch streamers and guys like your man in the video above to test it. But if they aren't even going to bother because they never buy AMD because the encoder is presumed to still be terrible its no too helpful for us.

I believe I will have to go with the AMD card! I purachsed the RTX 3080 TUF here in norway, completed the purchase 2 minutes after release! I still dont have the card, and its delayed for the 6th time now! New date is january!! WTH!! Oh btw I sold my GPU, Titan X 12GB Maxwell over 1 month ago too! So I havent played anything, cant play anything, and cant race on club races here anymore. I'll get the 6800XT on release. Even the January date I've been given is BS, so I'll have to go with the AMD card.

Conspiracy theory I just dreamed up:

AIB partners knew the AMD stuff was coming around about the same time they knew about the new Nvidia cards. They saw better profits / ability to OC, and saved their production capacity for the AMD cards.

Oh, and Covid is a biological weapon created by [insert your least favourite nation here].

Last edited:
No Nvidia has an absolutely dominating market share 85% or something like that, no way AIBs would look to AMD for better profit, if anything its a big risk as they have been out the high end game for years. No pretty sure its simply the difference between the silicone yields of Nvidias Samsung made chips (which are abysmal apparently) and AMDs TSMC made chips (which are fine).

Nvidia took a risk with Samsung and they are paying the price with under performing on numbers.

What framerates does an AMD 5700XT manage in VR compared to a 2070 or 2070S
While not conclusive, that will be the best way to determine how well AMD 6000 series will (likely) compare to NV 3000 series.

With respect, Alex (@SGE) has made some assumptions giving his opinion without doing proper research or presenting factual performance numbers. Best to wait on real tests from AMD cards and then offer an opinion on how well AMD VR is to NV VR.
i-racing is clearly CPU reliant but it's going to be interesting to see how combining AMDs new CPUs with their new GPUs will work in titles.

I also dont think the majority of people are interested in the 5K/8K Pimax as much now over the G2 and Quest2 headsets. That might be just me but Id much rather see benchmark results in VR with those being used in future tests shared by owners.

Last edited:
It would be great if nVidia dropped their prices on the 30 series cards because of the AMD 6 series cards having possibly similar performance at a lower cost as currently an 'Asus GeForce RTX 3090 ROG Strix OC' retails for $3820.76 in my country :confused::confused::confused:...but luckily it's not in stock anyway as I would have snapped it up :O_o::roflmao::roflmao:...joking of course;)

9 more days until we see reviews.

Even though UPS says my RTX 3090 FTW3 is "out for delivery" today, I'm hoping reviewers benchmark at least F1 2020 and the simracers get some before Black Friday or Cyber Monday so we get good coverage...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back