PC3 Another Project CARS Title in The Works?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 3 Confirmed.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios head Ian Bell has reportedly confirmed the smash hit Project CARS franchise is due another new release - Project CARS 3 is in the works...

Never one to be shy with the big predictions, Bell has taken to the GT Planet forums to confirm to fans that another Project CARS game is in the works by Slightly Mad Studios, and with a typical shyness we've all come to expect from new PCARS news, Bell has suggested the next instalment of the franchise will " blow anything else, planned by anyone else, out of the water".

Now call me a sceptic, but we've heard statements like this before in relation to Project CARS games, and although both PCARS 1 and 2 certainly do some things very well indeed, for many players they often leave more than a little to be desired in comparison to their main sim racing rivals.. especially when compared to some of the grandiose statements made by the developers during the build up period prior to release.

Now of course this "announcement" is very early in nature, and as such very little is known about the intentions of SMS and the development path of PCARS 3, but one thing is for sure, whenever a PCARS title is in the works, plenty of excitement is sure to follow..

Stay tuned for more news as and when it becomes available...

Project CARS 2 is available now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

The issue with the FFB is the lack of presets for all the existing wheels (which is less an less possible ; I think the most important is giving the possibility to configure any wheel). With the sliders I've managed to get a feeling between Raceroom and ACC, while getting parameters compatible with all the cars. It takes time and the need to compare the same car in different sims. But once you understand, or feel, the effect of each slider it's quiet manageable. I admit it is not the way a mass market racing game should be, but maybe the mass market should get involved in its hobby, as 90's mass market used to do (remember the FFB sliders in ISI games for EA?).

We`re not in the 90`s anymore. Other games are more user friendly and provide better FFB. I`m not shy of investing time to play my games ( I play DCS ) but this system is just counter intuitive.

Whilst I am a big fan of the PCars series so far, I understand those who are fed up of certain flaws. Personally I want a custom single player championship that never seems to be a priority for SMS. :( I'm looking forward to PC3 but I also hope that they focus on things and try and not be a jack of all trades and end up a master of none. But the series will always have a place in my heart for finally allowing me stop buying Consoles for racing games with top notch graphics. Please SMS do NOT bite off more than you can chew.

PC2 is abandoned then...I was hoping for more bug fixes and offline championship. The most important feature I want to see in PC3 is better multiplayer. The current car and tracklist is great, so they should allocate more resources to improve the online experience.

Almost all sequels are rehashed more or less. I bet if someone compared the code between F1 2017 and 2018 it would be 95-99% the same as previous year. It takes probably a minimum of five years to develop a sim from scratch, so the only two options to keep in business are to sell partially rehashed new releases every few years or to produce a constant flow of DLC packs while keeping the main game relatively unchanged. Both approaches have their pros and cons.
You can also make a solid base, and while adjusting a few issues during 2 years to make it flawless, you can sell new content during 5 years. Pcars2 could be the base for a Nascar tracks DLC (vs the other option Nascar Heat series), providing at the same time the tracks for Indycar, also for a Dirt Racing DLC, a Kart DLC with more tracks and karts, a Rallycross tracks DLC, and more road tracks DLC. 5 DLCs or a second season pass over 3 years. And you have your game living during 5 years nad seen as a sim reference as after 2 or 3 years, it will be perectly polished. And you use your core development team for other projects. Another approach...

Project Cars 2 bug list, the ones i can remember.

AI doing more or less pitstops than they are suposed to do, ruining the race.
For example, it stops to rain and the AI should then change back to slick tyres. But some of them just keep going with wet tyres at the dry track since they are not affected by tyre overheat.

Porsche GT3 engine overheating even with engine cooling at 100%

Penalty system not working. When you get a message to slow down in order to avoid penalty, you can just wait for the next brake point, and avoid the penalty by just braking normally to enter the next corner.

Some other bugs such as a pitstop animation, sometimes you see a ice tyre in the animation when instead you should be seeing a slick or wet tyre. It happens when you change tyres in automatic mode.

If we buy Project Cars 3 we are just telling then, it's ok not to fix bugs.

Dont like this business of releasing a new thing of the same thing....(c0dema$ters):rolleyes:

This is why iracing makes more sense,one sim built over time with new features added.
Is there any reason why Pcars2 cant be updated till they extract the maximum . Pcars1 is dead in my steam lib, so will Pcars 2...thats dead money. Live for speed got more life than Pcars1.

For the good of sim racing i would rather have a title that evolves than have a life span of 2 yrs with dlc and then get excited about a whole new sim which will end up being a brand new experience in feel and setup.

We love sim racing so most will still have some interest and buy this some point....but i most likely wont pre order or buy on launch day.

Last edited:
And you know that because? I don't see any facts here presented, just your opinion.

I don't own PC2, only times I drive it, is when I visit the local simracing center. I west there tonight, spent almost 2 hours in PC2, one of the cars I used multiple times was the Lotus 49, with loose setup (default setting), and all driving aids off.
I could never get it to wiggle it's tail at all. Is this due to some update? I know when I tried it 14 ish months ago, I was able to drift it around a bit. Now it felt like the rear was glued down.
Even the 80's F1-Turbo car was easy to drive. It was strange.

• Deleted member 241736

Is there any reason why Pcars2 cant be updated till they extract the maximum . .....
You‘re right, Why won‘t they develop pc2 further till the max? Look at AC and Ilja with his shader_patch - it works. Oh, I forgot € is the reason for.

Best racing game with the most options to simulate a real racing environment. Overall the best game now. Don't mention a game without weather because they are not sims but arcade. PC3 will be exactly as PC2 ahead of his time, with all other sims trying to catch up...

PC1=Shift3, PC2=Shift4, PC3=Shift5
When are people going to realise it's not about producing a decent racing title, it's about minimal outlay for maximum dollar, hence SMS have decided to go the console only route with Shift5 they won't have to accommodate decent physics for PC racers.

If it looks awesome and has a billion cars & tracks it's a winner, regardless of how it feels.

Ian Bell's statement sounds like something Trump would say (why is this considered convincing!!??).

More seriously, it's getting tougher and tougher for sims / games to differentiate themselves so as to want people to buy. In the early days, PC1 delivered great visuals which perhaps were missing from other PC offerings. No idea about PC2 as I never bought it. But the net is tightening on top-end features as everyone is getting there (good physics / goo graphics / good time of day changes / weather / MP etc...).

I wish them the best though - a dedicated, talented and enthusiastic team of developers there at SMS.

Project Bugs 3? I gave it a go with Shift 2, fun at the time but needed improvements......(were there any?)............ I tried so hard to like Pbugs 1 and 2. There are definitely highlights to some great things there. but the way it's a turn and burn service with complete lack of service to me as a consumer with all the fixes needed.... I'm out.
Sorry Pcar fans JMHO after spending my hard earned money. I'm old fashioned I guess, I expect a "company" to stand behind their product. Not to just release another game while the one before it is not finished.

OK rant over....carry on.

Project Cars 2 bug list, the ones i can remember.

AI doing more or less pitstops than they are suposed to do, ruining the race.
For example, it stops to rain and the AI should then change back to slick tyres. But some of them just keep going with wet tyres at the dry track since they are not affected by tyre overheat.

Porsche GT3 engine overheating even with engine cooling at 100%

Penalty system not working. When you get a message to slow down in order to avoid penalty, you can just wait for the next brake point, and avoid the penalty by just braking normally to enter the next corner.

Some other bugs such as a pitstop animation, sometimes you see a ice tyre in the animation when instead you should be seeing a slick or wet tyre. It happens when you change tyres in automatic mode.

If we buy Project Cars 3 we are just telling then, it's ok not to fix bugs.
+
AI is way too slow in the rain on some tracks, i can easily win at max skill from the back of the grid.
So weather is pretty much useless in this game.

flickering textures(z-fighting in vr)

really crap replays in vr(not a bug, just dumb)

Many cars ffb broken.

It's a mess of a game but surely it's a great platform for a 'proper' racing game. There are times when it really shines - if SMS would limit the scope a bit and try to make a finished product, it could be awesome. But all this "it'll be the best thing ever seen" just sounds like more of the same

I wonder if a dev will ever get the main points right in simracing. Every title always mess up on something important, even when they are well funded, it's a bit ridiculous.
PC2 mistake was trying to hug the whole world. Could start with the modern cars first, bring the rest as both free (price already included in the base value) and paid DLC once they get things working properly and the same quality on all cars already released.
Would create some hype as stuff being released consistently keeps people playing your game.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.