PC3 Another Project CARS Title in The Works?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 3 Confirmed.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios head Ian Bell has reportedly confirmed the smash hit Project CARS franchise is due another new release - Project CARS 3 is in the works...

Never one to be shy with the big predictions, Bell has taken to the GT Planet forums to confirm to fans that another Project CARS game is in the works by Slightly Mad Studios, and with a typical shyness we've all come to expect from new PCARS news, Bell has suggested the next instalment of the franchise will " blow anything else, planned by anyone else, out of the water".

Now call me a sceptic, but we've heard statements like this before in relation to Project CARS games, and although both PCARS 1 and 2 certainly do some things very well indeed, for many players they often leave more than a little to be desired in comparison to their main sim racing rivals.. especially when compared to some of the grandiose statements made by the developers during the build up period prior to release.

Now of course this "announcement" is very early in nature, and as such very little is known about the intentions of SMS and the development path of PCARS 3, but one thing is for sure, whenever a PCARS title is in the works, plenty of excitement is sure to follow..

Stay tuned for more news as and when it becomes available...

Project CARS 2 is available now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

I put 200 hours into pc1 and about 100 into PC2. I was really disappointed there was no offline custom championship in 2, I won't be buying 3 unless this feature is included. Also even after all the updates the old Hockenheim was still as bumpy as all hell with all types of cars to the point it was undriveable for me.

I was thinking just the other day about what I was looking forward to in simracing. I was really looking forward to GT Legends 2 but that seems to have died. I was looking forward to GTR3 but that has changed direction. I was looking forward to ACC but the graphics are bad on my PC and the driving experience hasn't grabbed me (yet). Can't say I was excited about ISIs "not rF3" - hard to be excited when nothing is known - but even that seems to have vanished from the radar. I admire Reiza's niche odd-ball content approach but like most simracers don't actually want to drive it., so Reiza 17 isn't high up on my wishlist. S397 have made far more progress with rF2 than ISI, but it seems they will be in catch-up mode forever and I prefer my DLC at Kunos/SMS prices. Raceroom? When it can match the features in GTR2 let me know, though I am curious about their next Porsches.

So what is there to look forward to? Well with this announcement, PC3?

Like most people I have mixed feelings about PC2. While I am a fan of traditional focused racing sims based on real championships - if we have to have sims which are all things to all people at least PC2 offers not only an incredibly wide range of vehicles, but there is depth in most categories too. The range of tracks is great, though in an ideal world they would all be laser scanned (historic tracks excepted) rather than the current mix. I like the variety and dynamism Livetrack 3.0 and the weather system offer, even if it is too biased IMO to extremes. I like the graphics, and frame rates are OK on my ageing lower mid-range PC. I also like that they are pushing the boundaries with their physics engine though there are downsides with the SETA tyre model being the least mature of the current crop of tyre models.

On the other hand, while I can't remember PC2 crashing, it has had a good number of less serious though annoying bugs, and the AI while improved, perhaps proves you can't get it to work well on all tracks for all cars in all conditions. As a fan of historic cars the default "modern" tyres are a killer especially when there isn't always a historic option. The cut track system seems to be designed for a hot-lap contest rather than racing. At least you can tun it off I suppose, And it is disappointing I need Jack Spade to get good FFB though fiddling with FFB settings isn't new to sim racing.

Overall, PC2 has surprised and delighted, and frustrated and annoyed but on the whole it has provided some fun. Its even got me into some on-line racing with GamerMuscle. I have played it more than PC1, AC, rF2, AMS and R3E though nothing like as much as GTL and GTR2.

So am I looking forward to PC3? While I wish SMS would cut down on the scope of PC3 (I don't want oval racing, driving on snowy tracks and would prefer dirt track racing in a separate title) I kind of know they won't. I kind of know it will be buggy. I kind of know SMS will make decisions which will annoy the community (like gearchange simulation and patch notes). I kind of know DLC and patches will probably stop after a year or so. But while it won't be my perfect sim (GTL2 where are you?) I am nevertheless looking forward to it. Will it blow everything else out of the water? Probably not but it won't be dull and boring, that's for sure.

Is this going to be a rehashed version of the previous effort like PCARS 2?

Without doubt. I mean PCars was a re hashed shift 2.
None of that is unusual in the industry though....

When SMS set out there USP and statemnt of intent was to be less like codemasters and more organically expand and develop PCars 1, hence the whole kickstarter thing.....
It didn't take them long to revert to wanting to be codemasters / Turn 10 though...

Pcars 1 was, at least with console racers, a game changer......... but PCars 2 bombed and 3 will be more of the same crap of selling back DLC you already purchased for the last game like Turn 10....

Wow, talk about Toxicity, tell me where you Drink, Party and Socialize, so Me and the girls can avoid you like the plague.

Mod Edit.

Really? all this needed to be said on a family friendly sim racing news site?, what barn was you dragged up in, to spew out such unrelated toxic comments.
I've edited his posts so reflected that in yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it will blow. It will blow hard, anything and everything under water..or over water. It will blow so much that it will get tired of blowing..most beautiful blowing ever..

Oh hooray, maybe this time around they won`t rely on the community to fix their terrible FFB again, and hopefully the guy in charge of the sounds is fired and banned to Siberia. I still have nightmares about those horrible Ferrari sounds...
The issue with the FFB is the lack of presets for all the existing wheels (which is less an less possible ; I think the most important is giving the possibility to configure any wheel). With the sliders I've managed to get a feeling between Raceroom and ACC, while getting parameters compatible with all the cars. It takes time and the need to compare the same car in different sims. But once you understand, or feel, the effect of each slider it's quiet manageable. I admit it is not the way a mass market racing game should be, but maybe the mass market should get involved in its hobby, as 90's mass market used to do (remember the FFB sliders in ISI games for EA?).

PCars2 is a much better PCars.
I am enjoying PCars2, in VR it looks great and some cars drive well enough that it is a nice distraction when not seeking simulation to the best level other SIM can offer.
If PCars3 is a better PCars2, I am in.

I'll be very interested if they take the same funding model as PC1, I found the entire process of developing the sim an education (one never takes Mr.Bell seriously!) and it repaid considerably more than my modest investment. And certainly both PC1 and PC2 were 'buggy', maybe PC3 will be 'The One'......maybe.
As roadyroad has pointed out, putting in time to set a sim up is not a deal breaker, nothing ever works perfectly 'Out Of The Box'.

PCars2 had such an amazing track/car list. I really hope in the 3rd attempt they can get the tire/physics model right. For me...that was what really killed this title.

And i'm definitely not pre-ordering a season pass this time. :redface:

Really not my favorite game mate, i have been banned 10 times on their forum, PCars fanboys are toxic...

You do realize that modern day historic racing use modern tyres yes? They are not on 50 year old rubber.....
But you keep believing that cars don't have grip..carry on....

I can take a rental van around a bend at 80mph and i don't spin off into a tree... why in hell would a racing car spin going 80 mph?

Have you even heard of the 'ground effect' era in F1... that was in the seventies.....jesus wept...

View attachment 280854 View attachment 280855

They were not ever using 50 year old rubber. Historic cars use historic tyres, that does not mean they are antiques.

The Lotus 49 would not have had ground effect or down force.
The OP is describing having too much grip at the rear coming out of a corner in first gear.

Last edited:
I will support a PC3 of course, as well as I support ACC for example.
Everybody who invests time and money to support my hobby (racing in VR) will get my money.
We should enjoy what we get instead of badmouthing everything.
Uhhh, the tire model is not 100% accurate!! The physics of the formula 1 car are not right (okay I have never driven a formula 1 car in my whole life and I won’t ever drive one, but of course I know it!)! Uuhhh, I’m a princess!
I grew up in a time when race cars in computer games were f@ck$$g pixelated sprites! Google the game “Pitstop (C64)” and you know what I mean.
Now in games like PC2 in VR I can sit in a photorealistic cockpit and race over a laserscanned Nordschleife.
I must be an idiot if I would want to stop this glorious evolution and NOT want a PC3!

Is this going to be a rehashed version of the previous effort like PCARS 2?

Almost all sequels are rehashed more or less. I bet if someone compared the code between F1 2017 and 2018 it would be 95-99% the same as previous year. It takes probably a minimum of five years to develop a sim from scratch, so the only two options to keep in business are to sell partially rehashed new releases every few years or to produce a constant flow of DLC packs while keeping the main game relatively unchanged. Both approaches have their pros and cons.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back