PC3 Another Project CARS Title in The Works?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 3 Confirmed.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios head Ian Bell has reportedly confirmed the smash hit Project CARS franchise is due another new release - Project CARS 3 is in the works...

Never one to be shy with the big predictions, Bell has taken to the GT Planet forums to confirm to fans that another Project CARS game is in the works by Slightly Mad Studios, and with a typical shyness we've all come to expect from new PCARS news, Bell has suggested the next instalment of the franchise will " blow anything else, planned by anyone else, out of the water".

Now call me a sceptic, but we've heard statements like this before in relation to Project CARS games, and although both PCARS 1 and 2 certainly do some things very well indeed, for many players they often leave more than a little to be desired in comparison to their main sim racing rivals.. especially when compared to some of the grandiose statements made by the developers during the build up period prior to release.

Now of course this "announcement" is very early in nature, and as such very little is known about the intentions of SMS and the development path of PCARS 3, but one thing is for sure, whenever a PCARS title is in the works, plenty of excitement is sure to follow..

Stay tuned for more news as and when it becomes available...

Project CARS 2 is available now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

As much as I enjoy the games for the most part the Pcars 2 doesn't work on the Xbox One. If you have more than I think 12 AI in a race you will start to experience a handling glitch where the car will randomly spin for no reason. The only way to stop this glitch is to run with smaller fields of cars (which is impossible in career mode so once you get past a certain point you're stuck) or buy the Xbox One X which wasn't even out when the game first released. The glitch has been known about for years and they did nothing. Not a great way to keep customers

If they dont fix PC2 issues before releasing PC3, for me thats the last nail on their coffin!!!
Things like Ai being too slow on the first lap, regardless of skill or agression level selected.
Also Ai using wet tires being as fast or even faster than you on slicks inside the drying racing line.

This is with no doubt my favorit racesim. And i own all off them ,except Iracing,too expensive in IMO. It can only get better, or in the worst case, equals PC2, and i am fine with that.

Ones expensive and ones a waste after 2 years, at this rate you would have spent more by Pcars 4 +dlc.

I'd rather have a Rolex for life than an Apple watch you need to replace every year because its no longer supported.

Your right it can only get better....but "blow anything else, planned by anyone else, out of the water" that's very Big Talk which we've had before.

Maybe that's the marketing strategy.

Wait they have fixed everything in PC2......Oh they haven't......shame.

I must admit, I love the comments (it can only get better) haven't die hard fans been saying that since Shift2?:whistling:

Isn't this a case (I might be wrong) of the following every other major sim manufacturer but have gone one step further?

All other have "updated" SMS release a "new" version

I love the saying, and this works here "You cannot polish a turd"

Shaun

Hey I will buy it, I have enjoyed both games. More so than any of the recent codies offerings.
Some cars have no feel others are very very good, AI sucks BIG TIME, On line is not really worth it however I like the games. At the moment I spend my time on iracing, Assetto corsa, PC2 and the other on GT Sport on PS4. I just love driving games.

Project Cars 3 - lol, of course, where everything that was buggy or left out in PC1, PC2, will be dealt with in PC3, with bonus bugs and feature gaps left out, just so you don't feel like they're changing up their strategy too much! haha :D

And this is from a fan of PC2 - it's really not all that bad but boy is it rough in some places.

And again is the same ****. SMS is constantly missing something, they're missing that game can be supported longer than 1 year. They made things which real grown-up sims have now, day-night transition, different weather effects, all the stuff you already know. What a racing community could it have if they took things seriously. What a shame.

What they are missing is somebody that knows and understands how a car should handle (no I am not putting myself forward) as I don't know half the stuff I should know, but still learning.

Like @Fonsecker his talent was recognised and is now working for AMS. @mclarenf1papa why don't SMS employ him for handling and physics, no brainer?

Looking at threads / forums and see what people produce and ask them, instead of people that earn ££££ and no sod all about how a car should handle.

Shaun

As much as I enjoy the games for the most part the Pcars 2 doesn't work on the Xbox One. If you have more than I think 12 AI in a race you will start to experience a handling glitch where the car will randomly spin for no reason. The only way to stop this glitch is to run with smaller fields of cars (which is impossible in career mode so once you get past a certain point you're stuck) or buy the Xbox One X which wasn't even out when the game first released. The glitch has been known about for a year and they did nothing. Not a great way to keep customers

Fixed that for ya...game has only been out 1yr and 2 months ;)

Not much they could do for the original Xbox release.....other than not release the game at all expect on the Xbox one x which came out a month later and was optimized better for the one x release.
Xbox one is outdated and uses nearly half the memory as the one x and uses 30% less performance.

I'm about 80% an AC guy these days, with the remaining 20% spent in R3E and PC2.

So let me just say this: A lot of the criticism on display in this thread is why PC3 is likely to abandon "sim" racing altogether. And who could blame them?

PC2 is a really good racing sim. It's the only one with proper weather and day/night that doesn't require a 4 qubit quantum computer from the year 2045 to get 60fps/4k. There's nothing wrong with the tire model except that - seemingly across the board - they decided to put way-too-sticky modern rubber on every car (with the possible exception of the Gr5's, which feel about right). In so doing, they created the only simulated versions of cars like the F40, Lotus 49, Lotus 98T and Porsche 917/10 largely incapable of power oversteer (except in monsoon conditions, and in low gear).

But they got a lot right: The AI is good. The way the cars feel (except for the lack of power oversteer) is generally great (the road cars feel weird and floaty, just like the Kunos ones). The FFB is good (once you tweak it a bit - like every other sim). The graphics are the best of all current sims, including ACC. It has the best VR support. It gave us an epic Le Mans DLC where we can finally race the T70 vs 512S vs 917k at a proper historic version of Circuit de la Sarthe (ie they listened to what we wanted) with proper day/night and random weather (awesome!) Speaking of car selection, they brilliantly included every car from the excellent 1998 FIA GT1 season. As for physics, they really nailed how a car feels under braking (this is the one physics area where I feel PC2 is noticeably better than AC).

But what I'm seeing in this thread, where a basically good (but not perfect) sim is ripped to pieces as being total crap? It reminds me of how the flight sim business was ripped apart by its own fans. I remember them criticizing Falcon 4 so much that, as of 2018. we still don't have a single flight sim since 1999 that features a dynamic campaign. The devs themselves listed impossible-to-make-happy hardcore flightsim fans (and the high costs associated with placating them) as the primary reason they just stopped trying.

to be fair the engine is fine, they just need to make it more believable physics and ffb wise, it just doesn't feel like you are driving on tyres, more like sludge
A new engine that utilizes a cleaner look and more realistic lighting is what I mean. They had to dial back graphics a bit in PCars 2 in comparison to the first game, so I want a newer engine that allows them to push the graphics, physics, and in game race changes without having to make sacrifices in other areas. If they are claiming to blow any other game in development away this is just one way to do it.

Honestly on graphics the only thing that I'd say "blows any other game in development" would be GT Sport replay mode graphics working from cockpit (except the blur) in a dynamic envirnonment. Anything else is just more of the same lol

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 226 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 223 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 288 13.5%