AMS 2: New Game Footage - Plenty of News in July Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS 2 Blog.jpg

Reiza Studios have been teasing exciting sim racing news once again... with a nice comparison video thrown into the mix for good measure!

Anyone here ever heard of Automobilista 2? Yeah, I thought you might...

I did something I never really do yesterday, I announced an announcement for an upcoming announcement. Sounds silly doesn't it? Well to be honest with you, I was just so excited about the prospect of more AMS 2 news, I really, really wanted to put a little flag in the sand of the internet and give us all somewhere to go roast the marshmallows for a while and pass the time until said announcement wanders into the wild.

Well that time is now, so I'll step aside and hand over to Reiza Studios to share the latest happenings over in Brazil...

………………….

Hello everyone! We are back with another Dev Update to bring you the latest news about our active projects.

This has been another very busy month for the team, and possibly (hopefully!) the last in which we have worked in 3 different sims simultaneously (AMS1, rF2 & AMS2). It´s fair to say switching back and forth from engines doesn´t make things easy for the devs who are involved in all these fronts, so kudos to them for continuing to push hard in order to bring us up to the status I can now present to you :)

On rF2 there´s not much news yet as we´re still working on small update for the Bundle to fix a few remaining issues. This should not take long now.

For AMS1, we also didn´t quite make to release before the end of July as we had been aiming for, but August will surely see the release of Snetterton and Donington Park as final DLC items for Automobilista 1, along with a small patch for a few tweaks and minor bug fixes.

Both Snetterton and Donington have been modelled with the aid of LIDAR data and are along with the previously released brit tracks some of our most accurate models.

Here´s a preview of Snetterton in AMS1:

Reiza AMS1 Preview.jpg

The main focus remain of course in Automobilista 2 and things continue to come along strongly there too, with a bunch of fresh cars and tracks being brought up to spec for the new engine as you´ll see peppered through this Dev Update :)

Reiza AMS 2 Preview 2.jpg

AMS1 vs AMS2 - Ultima GTR @ Snetterton Comparison

We found ourselves in an unusual position the last couple of months as we developed the same content both for the old title (AMS1) and the new one (AMS2) at the same time, as both Snetterton and Donington Park are being released as DLC for AMS1 and will be part of the base game in AMS2. It made for some interesting back and forth, and we thought it was worth putting together a comparison video. Check it out:

Opinions may and will vary as they always do and obviously nothing from the AMS2 video is quite the finished article yet, but in any case we found it made for an interesting comparison. From a devs POV we left the experiment feeling both reassured that the old dog AMS1 was well put together and is still holding up, at the same time with confidence that AMS2 moves every front up a notch or three in the right direction and with lots of room for improvement still.

The most improved part is actually the physics as this is one of the cars that drive substantially better in AMS2, although you can´t see that in the video :)

It will take a few months still until you all can compare for yourselves but at least there will be some fresh AMS1 content to race with in this time!

Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit coming in AMS2!

AMS 2 Kyalami .jpg

We are happy to be wrapping up a licensing deal with the historical Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit which will see the track featuring in multiple versions from its rich history as base game content in Automobilista 2.

The recently upgraded Kyalami is located in Johannesburg SA, it has hosted the South African Grand Prix several times from the 60s all the way to the 90s, and as a Grade 2 FIA certified track it is currently one of the few viable options for a future return of F1 to the african continent.

Kyalami will feature in Automobilista 2 release with its latest revision along with the sweeping, high speed historical 1976 version, with the 1992 version to be added post-release.

This is an exciting deal for us as not only it highlights our goals of expanding the horizons for Automobilista 2, but also from a sim perspective it adds an interesting challenge as the track is located over 1500m above sea level. In AMS1 we unfortunately didn´t get around to completing our thermodynamic model, but with AMS2 we luckily have that out of the box as part of the Madness engine so when racing in Kyalami players will have to contend with the extra challenge of a high altitude location and the resulting significant toll in engine and aerodynamic performance.

Reiza AMS 2 Preview 3.jpg

Sprint Race also coming in AMS2

AMS 2 Sprint Race.jpg

Sprint Race is a new Brazilian series which we are excited to officially include in Automobilista 2.

Managed by ex driver Thiago Marques, the series offers a low budget entry point for new drivers and has remained a healthy popular series for several years now. It has recently made its first venture abroad for races in the USA.

Powered by a 260HP V6 engine with RWD, sequential 6-speed shifter and with a central driving position, this car serves as an excellent training tool for several types of racing and should be a perfect option for door-to-door action.

Reiza AMS 2 Preview 4.jpg

A reminder that you can already pre-order Automobilista 2 through the AMS2 Early Backing Campaign. We´d like to thank everyone who already bought in, the extra revenue stream is most helpful and it´s being put to good use with some fresh licenses already secured and others already lined up. More information on this program and how to participate here.

If you are looking forward to Automobilista 2 but would rather wait for release, you may opt instead to add the game to your Steam wishlist via the AMS2 Steam Store page - Steam will then let you know as soon as it´s released.

Reiza AMS 2 Preview 5.jpg

We got some more exciting news coming up but these we have to save for next month. Look forward to catching up again then, possibly a little earlier than usual :)

Reiza AMS 2 Preview 6.jpg

Well folks, take a breath, have a relax and go enjoy that video again!

Automobilista 2 will release for PC December 2019.

For the latest Automobilista 2 news and discussions, head over to the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the conversation today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
It’s funny to hear the comments on physics because one of the reasons we used the Ultima was precisely because it drove distinctively better than the AMS1 version, which physics-wise I consider to be a bit of a misfire for AMS1 standards.

What could perhaps feed that impression is that tyre scrub sound was a bit too subdued in the AMS2 video so you dont “hear” grip as much as in AMS1, but thats easily correctable.

Its a potential pitfall of showing WIP stuff, people may be quick to jump to conclusions so its something we are going to be more mindful of moving forward :)

Renato, as you can see in my reply to the floaty comment just a few posts above, I think people are projecting their feelings about project cars 2 onto your new title. I do believe it's a minority of the simracing community and that most of us are certainly supporters of yours and if we haven't already backed your new title we will be purchasing it on day one.

However, there is a sizable minority here at Race Department that had a lot of heartburn with SMS and project cars 2. My guess is you are aware of the tension between this part of the community and Ian in particular. While I understand some of the disappointment these people had I never could get my head wrapped around just how much they felt burned and wanted to complain about their purchase. Anyway, it is a part of the audience that you'll have to work a little bit harder to overcome their preconceived notions. I am sure the proof will be in the pudding, as they say, and when we all get our hands on a AMS2 we will be happy Sim racers.

I went to a driving school and Scott Pruett was there. I was fortunate enough to be on the podium for the autocross competition and the reward was getting to drive with Scott on track.
That is awesome to have that chance with Scott. I have met him multiple times in Cart and Sportcars and always has been genuine. I now follow his Pruett Vineyard career.:)

I don't know if people have said this before, but i haven't seen anything about dirt racing and even the super stadium trucks? They were some of the main reasons why I loved ams 1 :p

It still looks great though, keep up the good work.

Can't say I am all that impressed. The video is an exact replica of Project Cars, I couldn't see any visual differences at all. The sound engine is still incredibly, incredibly poor as well. In fact, I would probably say that the previous iteration of the game is better; not only with certain visuals but sound as well.

Considering this game is releasing this year, get ready for another Project Cars replica with all the existing horrible features.

Wishful me thinks. PC2 just doesn't look that great. ...I doubt they are going to rewrite whole parts of internal code to change the video processing of the game. The driving, ffb, tires and other element of vehicle dynamics are MEH! I don't know how much of that they can improve. I guess we will all see.

Let's see if I'm eating my words in 6-7 months. :rolleyes:

It's my understanding that they're only using the Madness engine for graphics and using their own physics engine for the driving. So there should be zero comparison between the two games in the physics/ffb/handling/tires department, it will be the Reiza physics everyone knows and loves. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Using PCars2 physics would be sim suicide.

It's my understanding that they're only using the Madness engine for graphics and using their own physics engine for the driving. So there should be zero comparison between the two games in the physics/ffb/handling/tires department, it will be the Reiza physics everyone knows and loves. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Using PCars2 physics would be sim suicide.
They are using the Madness engine for physics as well. It has been said by Renato in a few interviews.
He also said that in terms of features the Madness engine is an evolution of what they where using on AMS1.

The car handling on the video looks exactly like PC2, it is identical.

They are using the Madness engine for physics as well. It has been said by Renato in a few interviews.
He also said that in terms of features the Madness engine is an evolution of what they where using on AMS1.

That is unfortunate. Too much negative stigma attached to that brand that Reiza customers will probably have a hard time getting over. As evidenced in this thread by people thinking they can tell how a car handles by a simple video, proving their minds are already made up due solely to the connection to PCars. That's a mighty big hurdle to clear, hopefully they can manage it. Not that I'm innocent of this sin, I'll admit that your post made my interest go from piqued to discouraged and my mouse strayed from clicking on the early access link.

...snip...

I've seen you post the same theories everywhere, and altough i do agree some CARS or MODS done in the ISI engine can behave poorly in grip to slide transitions, i dont agree at all that this is some basic flaw of the engine itself, as i've seen this also in other engines, such as AC, and the also mentionen iRacing, and is something i manipulated myself freely in my mods.

Also, you cannot tell anything about the real degree of the wheels by the steering rotation. We all know that his can be setup up independently.

Thirdly, there is nothing "strange" about a car pointing towards the inside of a corner with a sudden weight shift to the front. It's what happens in reality yes, and something real drivers have to contend with, specially with big heavy cars.

PCars2 engine does deal with "oversteer" or large slip angles better than most stuff created for the ISI engine, but this can be tamed and manipulated freely also in the ISI engine itself, it's just not easy, and requires the right combination of ingredients.

I don't know if people have said this before, but i haven't seen anything about dirt racing and even the super stadium trucks? They were some of the main reasons why I loved ams 1 :p

It still looks great though, keep up the good work.
dirt and sst will be post release dlc content, atleast thats the plan
also keep in mind we gonna have stadium super trucks compared to ams1 super trucks ;)

check out interview with Renato, there's info there about it

It is Reiza...

It is REIZA...

IT IS REIZA!

GSC2012 was great
Formula Truck was great
Copa Petrobras was great - and free
SCE was great
AMS is great

I trust Reiza to deliver with AMS.
Even if it turns out to be a little less Reiza with a little WMD / SMS, it will still be Reiza with VR.
The inclusion of the latter will more than make up for any tiny “flaw” that may creep it.

It is Reiza <Portuguese Explicit starting with the letter C and literally meant to describe the male anatomy, but figuratively something like FFS>!!!

All in good spirit...

Game of the year material.

Regarding sounds; I feel Reiza did a good job improving the audio in AMS1 (considering the audio-engine) over time and I think they'll also improve them in AMS2 beyond what the comparison video currently reveals. We should also consider that these titles use quite different sound-engines and should expect that more time is needed for Reiza developers to adapt. It took Kunos years to refine their audio after switching to Fmod.

If I'm not mistaken, PC2 uses Fmod (ac does AC / ACC) so, it's capable of better audio than what PC2 provides (imo). Yes, the replay audio is sub-standard and feels disconnected from the cars in general (PC2) but, that's not the case in AC/ACC so it should be solvable in the Madness engine.

PC2 still demonstrates a lack of dynamics within the physics to audio relationship (and motion) where the drive-train is concerned but, only iRacing, RR and BeamNG currently provide realistic behavior in that area. Of course, there are work-a-rounds that most titles use to emulate certain drive-train effects to some degree but, I hope that 200% improvement for PC3 includes proper drive-train dynamics especially considering that this was an acknowledged (by Audio dev's) game-engine limitation in during PC1 development.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back