AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

The 'X' has a 95 watt TDP
The 'non X' has a 65 watt TDP.
The X has a 200 MHz higher base clock.
Other than that, they're identical.
I got the X but all I'll do is put my H212+ modified on it...set the DDR4 to 1.35 volts...and let it do it's thing.
I figure the 2600X was already very fast and smooth.
Anything I get now, is cake.
So I have this question...
If I get the 3600 and pick up a converter for my H110i v2 AIO, would i be able to OC higher with a lower TDP?
Or is it better to go for the 3600x and just stick with the better standard cooler that they supply?
I have to advise that I also live in Malaysia and the heat here at night is around 26-28, goes up to 34-36 during the day but I'm usually at work during this time.

This is why some don't understand getting AIO when I don't bother overclocking anymore
In summer here without air conditioning is 40-45+C ambient lol

I don't care if it's the best air cooler money can buy..... EVERY air cooler in those temps will die then next comes ....CTD lol

Never happens with liquid

Who cares about 1080p when you spending $700+AU on a CPU be realistic at least

Their conclusion totally ignores the 1 question they and everyone else wanted the answer to for months ! Are they fastest for gaming are they faster one core
Testing lower resolutions with todays GPU's predicts future CPU performance at higher resolutions when future high end GPU's come to market.

One of the few times where the "1080p testing" failed to predict future performance was with ryzen 1, where the 4 core i5's walked all over the R5 1600, but with 2019 games we see the opposite. Turns out testing at 1080P in 2017 didn't account for the increasing utilization of spare cores by modern games.

Last edited:
3D GURU ..............what a cop out, all the excuses under the sun

Who cares about 1080p when you spending $700+AU on a CPU be realistic at least

Their conclusion totally ignores the 1 question they and everyone else wanted the answer to for months ! Are they fastest for gaming are they faster one core

NO and they are dearer while doing it ,....did someone slip me a mickey or has AMD just become worst monster then Intel

Now they will collude with Intel to keep prices artificially high

I'm a peanut to think it would be a price war
I'm sorry your prices don't make sense, here in Europe and the US however AMD is much much more affordable, especially compared to Intel. That is why we are all excited.

This is why some don't understand getting AIO when I don't bother overclocking anymore
In summer here without air conditioning is 40-45+C ambient lol

I don't care if it's the best air cooler money can buy..... EVERY air cooler in those temps will die then next comes ....CTD lol

Never happens with liquid
You have to be careful saying that.
Good airflow is the reason why your car doesn't overheat on those 110 degree days.
Personally...while good AIO coolers generally do a great job of cooling the CPU, they're lots of other components to consider. Any on of those overheating can lead to instability.
That's not to knock AIO but to point out one solution doesn't fit all.
He may get lower CPU temps but if the power phase isn't being cooled because there is no airflow, he be none the wiser.

As I thought, slightly slower slighty dearer
Here 3900X is $50 dearer then 9900KF and that is without Intel 10-15% price drop
I may wait for 9900KS

I know comparisons are being made between the 3900x & 9900k in gaming but really Ryzen 9 is aimed at gaming/production workloads. As we know next gen consoles will be 8 core so, looking forward, the sweet spot for gaming would be the 8 core parts which eliminates the need for expensive X570.

Personally speaking I don't think you would see much improvement, if any, over what you already have Durge. For the expense of moving to a new platform i would want the difference to be night and day. Wait and see what 4th gen Ryzen brings. I forget more than i remember, but it will be bringing new innovations to the table. And you know Intel are also busy behind the scenes...

So they're being sold now...
Question is do I go for 3600 or 3600x...
Will be pairing it with an X470 Gaming 5 or Ultra I think

The simple answer is this: If you are happy to manually overclock or just want to save a few bucks and don't mind the 200mhz difference, get the 3600. If you don't want the hassle of overclocking and just want best performance out of the box, get the 3600X.

Now the long answer: Although the 3600X has a higher TDP, it is actually the more power efficient of the two. The main reason that 3600's didn't make it to X status is that they weren't able to run that extra 200 mhz within the 95W envelope. There is every chance they will overclock as well as an X but will likely need more power and therefore run hotter to do so. TDP (thermal design power) has more to do with heat generated than actual power consumption.

Which is why i would recommend manually o/cing non X models to get the best out of them. Auto overclock features can be a bit wild with the voltages. Hand tuning gives the best frequency at voltages and temperatures that are specific to your cpu and situation.

Last edited:
What I wonder the most about:
I can't find any comparison between the 3600x and the 3700x. Might be due to the 3600x being better in quite some games due to the higher base clock while having the same boost?
Also probably runs cooler due to only 6 cores, which means a higher average boost clock?

The problem here is: I have a pretty hot case but I know a 9700k would be totally fine there. It would probably run a bit hot under full load but maintain 5 GHz while gaming.
Now the new Ryzen have two choices:
Auto boost: which leads to some cores peaking at 4.3-4.4 GHz.
Manual OC: which leads to probably only 4.1 GHz on all cores.

Does anybody know if we could increase the boost limit to maybe 4.5 GHz or increase the base clock to 3.9 GHz or something?
Afaik you can't. It's either full auto mode or manual all core OC, which sucks.

It sucks because in auto mode, it's all about temperature. Time will tell how much these new Ryzens throttle when reaching 70-80°. Will a better cooler mean 10 fps more or only 1-2 fps more?

This temperature dependent auto-boost already sucks with my GTX 1070. If I keep it all on auto it will throttle down in some heavy power load games to about 1700 MHz while roaring the fans to about 80% speed and keeping the card at 75°C.
Funnily enough though I can easily activate my custom OC, run the card at 80°C, 2000 MHz and 60% fan speed.

Really wouldn't like to see a throttling 3600x although it could easily run at 4.4 GHz boost clock while going 5°C higher...

I know comparisons are being made between the 3900x & 9900k in gaming but really Ryzen 9 is aimed at gaming/production workloads. As we know next gen consoles will be 8 core so, looking forward, the sweet spot for gaming would be the 8 core parts which eliminates the need for expensive X570.

Personally speaking I don't think you would see much improvement, if any, over what you already have Durge. For the expense of moving to a new platform i would want the difference to be night and day. Wait and see what 4th gen Ryzen brings. I forget more than i remember, but it will be bringing new innovations to the table. And you know Intel are also busy behind the scenes...

The simple answer is this: If you are happy to manually overclock or just want to save a few bucks and don't mind the 200mhz difference, get the 3600. If you don't want the hassle of overclocking and just want best performance out of the box, get the 3600X.

Now the long answer: Although the 3600X has a higher TDP, it is actually the more power efficient of the two. The main reason that 3600's didn't make it to X status is that they weren't able to run that extra 200 mhz within the 95W envelope. There is every chance they will overclock as well as an X but will likely need more power and therefore run hotter to do so. TDP (thermal design power) has more to do with heat generated than actual power consumption.

Which is why i recommend would manually o/cing non X models. Auto overclock features can be a bit wild with the voltages. Hand tuning gives the best frequency at voltages and temperatures that are specific to your cpu and situation.
Thanks for the response. Out here I really need the CPU to run as cool as possible due to my ambient temp issues. My 3770k runs at about 65 degrees at 4.4Ghz with the AIO on performance mode, which I think is pretty much running at 100% when playing ACC or rF2.
Would a 3600x OC beyond its recommended boost frequency easy enough?

Just watched a video from "der8auer", German OC guru, lots of records with liquid nitrogen cooling etc.
He says that he's not sure what to think about AMD's latest specs.
Ryzen 1000 and 2000 was like "Okay your CPU will 100% sure run this clock speed". But when kept cool, they all went above that clock speed.
Now Ryzen 3000 is a lot different. AMD says "Your CPU will run this clock speed as absolute maximum".
Meaning if not kept extremely cool, it will definitely run slower.
His "4.4 GHz cpu" was more like a 4.2-4.3 GHz CPU...
upload_2019-7-8_13-26-34.png

Just watched a video from "der8auer", German OC guru, lots of records with liquid nitrogen cooling etc.
He says that he's not sure what to think about AMD's latest specs.
Ryzen 1000 and 2000 was like "Okay your CPU will 100% sure run this clock speed". But when kept cool, they all went above that clock speed.
Now Ryzen 3000 is a lot different. AMD says "Your CPU will run this clock speed as absolute maximum".
Meaning if not kept extremely cool, it will definitely run slower.
His "4.4 GHz cpu" was more like a 4.2-4.3 GHz CPU...
View attachment 314072

Undetected issues with bios were found today. Most reviews were not boosting properly.

https://twitter.com/andreif7/status/1148170909322293248?s=09

anandtech is retesting everything.

@RasmusP Beardedhardware who's an XOC guy like derbau8r did a livestream yesterday with his 3700x. His sample was best at 4.3ghz all core at 1.25v which gave him temps below 60c on a AIO.

Funny enough the MSI board was defaulting to 1.5v out of the box....

Last edited:
Does anybody know if we could increase the boost limit to maybe 4.5 GHz or increase the base clock to 3.9 GHz or something?
Afaik you can't. It's either full auto mode or manual all core OC, which sucks.

I'm afraid i can't answer that as i'm 1st gen/x370, no PBO (precision boost overclocking). Maybe someone else could.

Hard to say until they have been out in the wild for a while.

It's ok. I can wait...
Well, for about 3 days!
They're having sales here for the Z390 and X470 boards. Processors are the same price regardless of any price reductions and they're also immune to any sales in this country...

My own experience with the 2600X was that as long as it stayed cool, it'd self clock all the way to 4300+
Theoretically the CPU was only supposed to boost to 4.2 GHz.
Mileage may vary on the 3600X I just ordered yesterday.
I'll take the efficiency gains in the new processor.

My own experience with the 2600X was that as long as it stayed cool, it'd self clock all the way to 4300+
Theoretically the CPU was only supposed to boost to 4.2 GHz.
Mileage may vary on the 3600X I just ordered yesterday.
I'll take the efficiency gains in the new processor.
Hope you yet the new CPU soon then. I look forward to real people advising on this stuff rather than videos on YouTube that may or may not have been sponsored or who may have bias towards one manufacturer over another.
People here rarely have any reason to say something is far better than it actually is and I value that more than anything.

I can't find any comparison between the 3600x and the 3700x. Might be due to the 3600x being better in quite some games due to the higher base clock while having the same boost?
That's probably more due to the fact that AMD apparently didn't send review samples for 3600(x) to reviewers yet, so those wanting to do a review of 3600 had to source them themselves.

Last edited:
In the UK the prices are roughly....

Ryzen 9 3900x
Gigabyte Aorus Master
16gb Corsair 3200mhz
£958

Intel i9 9900K
Gigabyte Aorus Master
16gb Corsair 3200mhz
£834

I'm still happy with my 9900k considering the price, although someone who uses a system for much more than gaming might be happy spending the extra £120.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back