AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

Sounds like it'd sort out ACC then, currently it maxes out all 6 'cores' which gets me stuck at 45-60fps depending on number of cars/AI on track.
I've just got to make sure I have the money now, the fx6300 was a whole £79....got a feeling the Ryzen 3 and AM4 board is going to give me a bit of a shock :roflmao:

I have a related question (ish) so thought I'd pop it in here....
I'll be upgrading my pc at the start of next year, 2 things:
1) My current PC was built in 2013 (FX6300 cpu.....yeah I know!) How much of a difference will I feel going onto the latest Ryzen +/Ryzen 2 systems? I already run an SSD. and upgraded to a 1660ti, but thats CPU bottlenecked at the moment.
2) With AMD saying there is AM4 support until 2020, is it worth me hanging on for 12 more months to see whats available for Ryzen 3 (4th gen) and a new platform? I'm on win7 at the moment which kinda puts a little pressure on my options, but I can deal with that..

If you are planning to do it at the start of the year, its a good idea to hold until the summer for the refreshes.

But, even if you upgrade next week to the Ryzen 3000, the jump from the FX6300 to a cheap R5 3600 will be so massive that it doesn't really matter if you could gain +15% if you would have waited one more year. You will already have the bulk of the gain today! why wait then?

So the real question here is upgradability down the line, but even this becomes a moot point if you only consider upgrading every 5 years. In that case (every 5 years), you might as well buy AM4 today, because if you wait for AM5 in 2021 and decide to upgrade 5 years later, that socket will be end-of-life and you will ask yourself the same question regarding AM6...

My current PC was built in 2013 (FX6300 cpu.....yeah I know!) How much of a difference will I feel going onto the latest Ryzen +/Ryzen 2 systems? I already run an SSD. and upgraded to a 1660ti, but thats CPU bottlenecked at the moment.
I am still mostly CPU bottlenecked in sims with the 1660Ti and Ryzen 2600 in 1900x1200 if I don't limit my framerate, but we're generally talking about framerates above 100-120 fps in that case. Except for ACC, where it's more like 70-80 at best and even dropping below 60 at times (both due to CPU and GPU depending on the situation).

(Damn, I need to finally put those comparison videos together :( )

ACC1.PNG
I ran two on-line races last night with the new ACC1.0.5 release.
Having missed qualifying, I started right at the back of the field.
I have just about every setting turned to 'epic' in the title.
Even ACC runs super smooth.
We seem to have gotten to what I call the "but will it play Crysis" mode.
How many frames per second do we deem enough?
We've got guy setting the benchmark...(in their head anyway) for VR and non-VR fps.
In their mind, if they can't reach 90 fps in VR, it represents a failure.
If they can reach 120 fps in non-VR...same.
Me, I prefer to look at acceptable fps...but more importantly, smoothness throughout.
That's what I had with my slightly OCed I7-3820...it is what I have now with my self OCed R5 2600X
Ryzen will do everything you need it to in modern simracing...as long as it is properly set up.

Last edited:
If you are planning to do it at the start of the year, its a good idea to hold until the summer for the refreshes.

But, even if you upgrade next week to the Ryzen 3000, the jump from the FX6300 to a cheap R5 3600 will be so massive that it doesn't really matter if you could gain +15% if you would have waited one more year. You will already have the bulk of the gain today! why wait then?

So the real question here is upgradability down the line, but even this becomes a moot point if you only consider upgrading every 5 years. In that case (every 5 years), you might as well buy AM4 today, because if you wait for AM5 in 2021 and decide to upgrade 5 years later, that socket will be end-of-life and you will ask yourself the same question regarding AM6...

At the moment its an upgrade every 7 years :roflmao:.
A good point to be made about the platform changes though, I mean, even the FX CPU still runs games ok and with the 1660ti on max settings. I did see an R7 2700 for sale for £180 which was rather tempting!, the joys of stock clearance for new CPUs! No money at the moment though, so will hold out till 2020.

At the moment its an upgrade every 7 years :roflmao:.
A good point to be made about the platform changes though, I mean, even the FX CPU still runs games ok and with the 1660ti on max settings. I did see an R7 2700 for sale for £180 which was rather tempting!, the joys of stock clearance for new CPUs! No money at the moment though, so will hold out till 2020.
Just to note this down:
While a 2700 would still be a massive upgrade for you, the 3xxx series will give a lot higher fps numbers for simracing. The main reason for me getting hyped for them is that they seem to have the same Single thread performance as the current Intels.
And for simracing, sadly, it's Single thread, Single thread and single thread.
You're fine with 4 cores for all current Sims. Only acc will gain a little with more cores.
The current Intels blow the amd 1xxx and 2xxx out of the water. But are stupidly expensive in comparison.
For everything but simracing I'd always go with a ryzen and now with the 3xxx, I'd go with a ryzen for simracing too :)

First they must take the most powerful gaming CPU title from Intel and from what I seen so far I don't see that happening

Thing is now their CPUs and motherboards are significantly dearer reducing bang for buck the other series enjoyed

Performance per dollar will be closer then ever
In Australia they charge what they like
I expecting 3900X / X570 to be dearer then 9900K / Z390

I like the most they should be faster transfer with existing M2

Performance per dollar will be closer then ever
In Australia they charge what they like
I expecting 3900X / X570 to be dearer then 9900K / Z390

I like the most they should be faster transfer with existing M2
So I guess for some the faster transfer rate is worth the price?
That's PCIe 4.0 right?
Will that have any benefit to sim racing at all?
Thing is, if the single core performance is similar between AMD and Intel then for me it will come down to price.
The boards, (Z390 and X470), from Gigabyte and Asus are roughly the same price. So if I can get the CPU and make a saving then that's what I'll be looking out for.
If there isn't much difference I may well just stick to Intel...

The faster the M2s you have more sense X570 makes
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/46844/corsair-force-series-mp600-pcie-gen4-m-2-nvme-ssd-1tb
If you had 3 of those ($1200+AU a few hundred more on motherboard would be well worth it to some

I think the 9900KS ( 5GHz turbo all cores ) will rule single core but barely and cost more but when have people who want the fastest every worried about price ;)

What is going to get harder is selling old gear already I see prices dropping for 2nd hand towers on Gumtree

Last edited:
Same here in Malaysia. Prices are supposed to be lowered for Intel but they're all still being sold for the same price today...
Ryzen 3xxx releases today but not heard or seen anything about it at any of the usual online outlets...

Same for Ryzen here only one store (PC Case Gear) seemed confident they would have and they are biggest AMD buyer in Australia and what bright spark came up with a Sunday release

edit

So I should expect PCCG to have CPU and all boards listed in a few hours :unsure:..... 1.00pm Sunday here............ seems dumb that Intel never dropped prices everywhere before Zen2

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years