AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

Only worth to spend so much on memory when you already got the 3900x though from the prices I've seen.
Rather pick the 3700x with 3200 cl16 instead of 3600 with 3600 cl14 I guess?

It's here...it's in...it's fast and it's very cool...temp and otherwise.
I received my R5-3600X this evening and it is now solidly installed in my MSI X470 Gaming Plus.
A word of warning....When you install it, go into the BIOS and make certain to set the CPU voltages manually.
My MSI BIOS at auto, immediately set the default voltage to 1.45-1.49 volts. That to me, is way too high.
I never like anything above 1.40 volts...1.42 absolutely max.
The thing is impressive for $249.
Back to testing.

Do AMD cpus require more power to operate normally?
Does this make them run hotter too?
My i7 3770k is running at 4.4Ghz using just 1.17 volts iirc. (I'll need to check this later as it seems incredibly low now)

Is that with an updated BIOS that supports the new Zen 2? If so, then that's one hell of an issue from MSI.
Its the latest 7B79vAA BIOS for the X470 Gaming Plus.
After installing it my boot-up time went from the usual 15 seconds to 3 minutes.
Thing is...every BIOS I'd installed up to that point, had zero influence on boot time and only one of the five showed any hint of instability.
This one is a 'hit or miss'...some folks have no issues and others like myself have the long boot.
The system is stable and extremely quick once booted.
Once it is installed, it seems to limit your ability to access any of the BIOS files on a USB thumb drive.
M-Flash entry presents you with a message 'FS0: <null string>'
Clicking that message tells you no BIOS file found....while selecting the ESC key reboots the system and exits M-Flash.
After three reboots with MSI tech support checking and verifying everything was set correctly, we lucked into access. At the null message, I hit the enter key instead of using the mouse to click it.
The list of BIOS files I had on the thumb drive showed up and I was able to revert to the previous one.
Boot time back to 15 seconds.
Hopefully MSI will get their act together and come up with a properly working BIOS file.

Last edited:
If you're gaming, go get that R5-3600X with a good X470 board.
I just took the ACC Porsche out at Spa...while recording in real-time with Fraps.
Darn thing looks like a television broadcast...no skipping, no lag, no juddering. It is smooth as glass.

If you're gaming, go get that R5-3600X with a good X470 board.
I just took the ACC Porsche out at Spa...while recording in real-time with Fraps.
Darn thing looks like a television broadcast...no skipping, no lag, no juddering. It is smooth as glass.
What GPU do you have?
I am literally hovering over the big fat Buy button on either an Asus Strix X470-f / Aorus Gaming5 and a 3600x...
I have a GTX 1070 that will be transplanted from the old i7 3770k rig...
Someone said in another thread that the ASRock x470 Taichi is actually one of the better boards... any advice on MB?

What GPU do you have?
I am literally hovering over the big fat Buy button on either an Asus Strix X470-f / Aorus Gaming5 and a 3600x...
Someone said in another thread that the ASRock x470 Taichi is actually one of the better boards... any advice on MB?
I have a 1080 Ti but that 1070 will be just fine.
I actually have a low-time PNY 1070 XLR8 card which I used prior to the 1080Ti.
It ran everything I threw at it very, very well.
I kept it as a spare after being offered the 1080Ti by a co-worker, who'd purchased it for Bitcoin and then used it for less than a month before abandoning the idea.
This video demonstrates R5-3600X capability.
The Youtube upload is not anywhere as smooth.
No 'hitching' exist on the actual video... wish you could see that.
It looks like a television broadcast.

Last edited:
What GPU do you have?
The taichi is meant to take a 3900x without moaning. If you 'only' wanna run a 3600x and don't plan to slam anything more demanding at it, you can also get a way cheaper board! :)
Watch the gamer nexus x470 video and watch from the "below 200 bucks" part ongoing

The taichi is meant to take a 3900x without moaning. If you 'only' wanna run a 3600x and don't plan to slam anything more demanding at it, you can also get a way cheaper board! :)
Watch the gamer nexus x470 video and watch from the "below 200 bucks" part ongoing
Will do, as this board is just for gaming, I just want something that I can maybe put a 3600 x refresh or a 3700x into in the next few years to perhaps give me a bit of an upgrade at some point when/if needed.

So now I'm more confused... doesn't take much, I'll admit that! :redface:
So the Asus I was thinking about there is no point unless I'm running Nitrous
The Gigabyte is good and so is the ASRock
But MSI is the best for B450 and have a bunch of motherboards that would suit a 3600x
Question i have is, what is the difference in getting an x470 vs a B450 for gaming and possibly streaming with a standard OC?
No productivity or work of any kind I must hasten to add...

Question i have is, what is the difference in getting an x470 vs a B450 for gaming and possibly streaming with a standard OC?
Good question I admit. You can overclock with both as far as I understood it but the x470 has more connectors. More USB, more PCI lanes and whatever.
For cpu performance it's really the same but you simply get a lot more stuff with the x470.

But that's just what I figured out. I might be wrong so take this with care and compare two boards yourself please :)

Oh yes, I always do a lot of comparisons. I need plenty of USB ports as have a headset, mouse, keyboard, steering wheel and pedals, plus a hard drive I plug in from time to time for backups etc.
I don't NEED a lot of ports, but I dont want to have to buy extra cards if i do require more.
Think I'll check the aorus out as they always have a ton of ports, especially USB 2.0 which I believe I need for my old skool Fanatec equipment

Oh yes, I always do a lot of comparisons. I need plenty of USB ports as have a headset, mouse, keyboard, steering wheel and pedals, plus a hard drive I plug in from time to time for backups etc.
I don't NEED a lot of ports, but I dont want to have to buy extra cards if i do require more.
Think I'll check the aorus out as they always have a ton of ports, especially USB 2.0 which I believe I need for my old skool Fanatec equipment
Take a good look at the AS-rock X470 Master.
It is not as flashy as the Gigabyte but it has everything you'll need.
If I were in the market today for a good budget board, that'd be it.

Last edited:
Take a good look at the AS-rock X470 Master.
It's usually a few dollars more than the Gigabyte but in my opinion, well wort it.
It is not as flashy as the Gigabyte but it has everything you'll need.
It also has great VRMs.
If I were in the market today for a good budget board, that'd be it.
Budget?
Now I am confused...
I thought the B450 were the cheaper boards and the X470 were the more feature rich etc.

Hello there Zero.

If you can find one in stock, have a look at the MSI b450 tomahawk. It is well rated, has plenty of USB's and would handle an o'ced 7nm 3600 without issue bearing in mind it doesn't break a sweat with an overclocked and less efficient 12nm 2700x.

X470 was the premium line as in extra PCIe slots for multiple gpu's, stronger vrm's for extreme overclocks etc. For gaming there is no difference in performance. B450 vrm's are fine for anything up to an 8 core, Its just down to feature set. Do you need all that extra stuff?

The MSI b450 Tomahawk is almost the same price as the ASRock X470 Master here...
Only problem is that a lot of sellers here wont have updated the bios for the new CPUs yet...
Just had a look at the MSI website.
A BIOS update is available for the Tomahawk so you'd just have to request they verify it, before sending it out to you.
That also is a very nice board.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing