AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I’ll download Cinebench and see what I get.

Somethings not quite right so hopefully I’ll work out what. Seem to spend most of my time benchmarking or sorting issues

I did download the latest ryzen drivers but didn’t see any sliders or profiles though.

I could only download v23 for some reason but the image shows my results if someone could tell me how this compares

Cheers

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 65
I use Cinebench 15. but your score, nevertheless, looks below par. I also noticed that your cpu displays 4.2ghz - instead of 3.7ghz (see #860).
Cinebench15 Ryzen 5600x.jpg

Do you have your cpu locked @ this frequency?

Have you installed the latest bios version for your motherboard?

It might be worth installing AMD Ryzen Master to see if the cpu is being throttled by a bios setting - see my previous message #860...

I could only download v23 for some reason but the image shows my results if someone could tell me how this compares

Cheers

Here you go, trustworthy page!

The difference is that r15 doesn't use AVX instructions. Afaik no racing simulation apart from pcars2 in a certain configuration uses AVX so I always use r15 to compare "potential simracing performance".

Your score looks very similar to my 10600k @ 4.9 GHz on all cores.
My score is 1311 for r23 single.

However I'm not really struggling to get 80+ fps in ACC. Depending on the settings though.
In any case, the performance should still be higher than your old 3600x!
I use Cinebench 15. but your score, nevertheless, looks below par. I also noticed that your cpu displays 4.2ghz - instead of 3.7ghz (see #860).
View attachment 462683

It might be worth installing AMD Ryzen Master to see if the cpu is being throttled by a bios setting - see my previous message #860...
Yep the score is like my 10600k, which is too low.
The frequency notation is a bit weird, but it's not accurate anyway.

But you're right, it might indicate some "wrong" bios settings regarding the base clock!

Thanks all for the pointers, I’ll look into this more later or tomorrow when I get time and also look at downloading r15 as something isn’t right. Bios is the latest I think (3002) as had to download it to get the 5600x to work. I haven’t changed any settings in it. I don’t believe I have my cpu locked but will check.

Cheers

View attachment 462683

I had a look at this and it is 4.2ghz?

Looks like I'm making some progress ;-)

Had a look at my bios and it was in some generic overclock mode. Reset it and re-run the test and achieved multicore - 10848 and single - 1392.

Many Thanks

Last edited:
5900X worth $250 over the 5600X? I got one from my PC shop on impulse. Because 5600X is still sold out almost everywhere, I can sell it for my price I paid easily.

I don't really use my Windows PC for anything but gaming (I use an iMac Pro for work and due to security, I can't use a PC other than the one company provided for work), but I could see myself using it for my YouTube channel editing if it's worth the price increase. Then again maybe the 5600X is good enough for my humble channel (600 subs).

There's a single question in his post, so I'm answering it :)

(No, it's absolutely not worth the extra 250 bucks. It would probably not even be worth an extra 50. 250 is insane IMO.)

No it's not worth the extra 250? Or no the 5600 isn't good enough for the Youtube editing? :confused:
The single core speed is basically identical. The 5900x is higher binned so can boost a bit higher. It's pretty much linear so you get:
5600x = 4.6 GHz boost clock
5900x = 4.8 GHz boost clock

This means 4.3% more single core performance.

Since all of our simracing titles show diminishing returns when having more than 5 real cores, it will stay within 5% of performance difference.

Meaning when getting the magic 90 fps in VR, the 5900x would have about 4 fps "headroom".

In comparison, looking at cinebench single thread scores, the 5600x would push out about 106 fps, when my own 10600k (overclocked) would achieve 90 fps.

Here's a chart with real 3 thread and 4 thread (simulating the load our simracing titles achieve) from forum users:

1618012454713.png

The 250 bucks are better spend for a 6600x next year. With DDR5 coming (probably), the 6600x will be a lot better for simracing than any current CPU.

Last edited:
@Grant...Just for the sake of it, I downloaded R15 from the link provided by RasmusP.
Ran the test this morning for comparison.
Here are the scores with my 5600X...
View attachment 463473
Could you do, "for the sake of it" :p, go into preferences and select 3 threads and then 4 threads and do the 2 runs?

AMDs tend to boost very high on a single core and therefore score very well in single thread benchmarks compared to Intel.
Due to very good multithreading, they also score very well in the full multi benchmarks.

But you can lock the modern Intels very easily at their highest boost clock for all cores, while the AMDs won't be as stable, mostly.

So when loading 3-4 threads, the scores will even out or move to slight favor for Intel.

The AMD 5000 CPUs always score better though.

My graphs from above are with 3 and 4 threads.
I'd like to add your scores to my excel sheet (or did you do it already? I don't remember, sorry..)

Can someone help point me in the right direction on what might be holding my system back in terms of FPS. I upgraded to a 5600x today from a 3600 and performance is worse than before. I had settings in ACC that gave me 72fps with the 3600 and now I can’t get over 36. Assetto Corsa isn’t any better either. I use an Oculus Quest 2 with a link cable, default resolution and 72hz.

Specs below
Ryzen 5600x
RTX3060ti
Asus B450M
16GB RAM
Asseno SSD 1TB

Thanks in advance
Check your memory frequency in the bios the memory might be clocked lower. The xmp profile migt also be disrupted?

CPU-z can show youre memory timing aswell.

Could you do, "for the sake of it" :p, go into preferences and select 3 threads and then 4 threads and do the 2 runs?

AMDs tend to boost very high on a single core and therefore score very well in single thread benchmarks compared to Intel.
Due to very good multithreading, they also score very well in the full multi benchmarks.

But you can lock the modern Intels very easily at their highest boost clock for all cores, while the AMDs won't be as stable, mostly.

So when loading 3-4 threads, the scores will even out or move to slight favor for Intel.

The AMD 5000 CPUs always score better though.

My graphs from above are with 3 and 4 threads.
I'd like to add your scores to my excel sheet (or did you do it already? I don't remember, sorry..)
Per your request,
Here are the test.
I did two passes/runs of 3 core and 4 core as denoted by T1 and T2.
The scores were (3 core) T1= 723 and 3 core T2= 721
The sores for (4 core) T1= 928 and 4 core T2= 927
Hope this is what you were referring to.

4_threads_T2.PNG
4_threads_T1.PNG
3_threads_T2.PNG
3_threads_T1.PNG

Last edited:
Per your request,
Here are the test.
I did two passes/runs of 3 core and 4 core as denoted by T1 and T2.
The scores were (3 core) T1= 723 and 3 core T2= 721
The sores for (4 core) T1= 928 and 4 core T2= 927
Hope this is what you were referring to.

View attachment 463530View attachment 463531View attachment 463532View attachment 463533
Thanks a lot! Always great to have multiple PC's scores!

You score is a bit lower than the scores from a few pages earlier from someone else.
I have it as "stock" in my sheet so maybe you had something running in the background?

It's 743 vs 723 and 961 vs 928.
Only worth 2-4 fps at around 100 fps though :coffee:

Just as a reference:
I have 2x 5800x in my sheet, both apparently at stock. They scored 724/742 and 921/973.

My 10600k scores 628 and 821 :unsure::roflmao:

Thanks a lot! Always great to have multiple PC's scores!

You score is a bit lower than the scores from a few pages earlier from someone else.
I have it as "stock" in my sheet so maybe you had something running in the background?

It's 743 vs 723 and 961 vs 928.
Only worth 2-4 fps at around 100 fps though :coffee:

Just as a reference:
I have 2x 5800x in my sheet, both apparently at stock. They scored 724/742 and 921/973.

My 10600k scores 628 and 821 :unsure::roflmao:
I am at stock settings and running R15 off a standard harddrive so that may influence scores.

View attachment 463569
This is mine @RasmusP what is it telling me and there is cinebench 23, should I be using that?
@jimortality.... How do you like that RX6800XT for simracing?
Do you run ACC?
Do you use VR or WMR?
Is your's an AIB card or the reference edition?
It is the card I was most excited about and planned on buying this time out but I could not find one at a decent price, so my purchase is on hold indefinitely.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea