AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

View attachment 463569
This is mine @RasmusP what is it telling me and there is cinebench 23, should I be using that?
You did the full multithreading run, which doesn't tell us anything useful for simracing :p

You need to go into the preferences and set the custom number of render threads to 3, do two runs, then set number of threads to 4.

Simracing titles are somewhere between 3 and 4 threads, so this simulates the load they produce.

Cinebench r15, as explained a few posts earlier is the best for this.
R20 and r23 are using avx instructions but afaik no simracing title uses avx instructions...

Avx causes most CPUs to throttle a bit (Intel has an "avx offset" in the bios). And avx produces quite a lot of heat.

@jimortality.... How do you like that RX6800XT for simracing?
Do you run ACC?
Do you use VR or WMR?
Is your's an AIB card or the reference edition?
It is the card I was most excited about and planned on buying this time out but I could not find one at a decent price, so my purchase is on hold indefinitely.
I've only had the pc 3 weeks and it's the first time I've gone down the amd route. I do run acc but triple screen. It looks great although I use vsync and it keeps at 60fps with settings on high. What's AIB card lol

I've only had the pc 3 weeks and it's the first time I've gone down the amd route. I do run acc but triple screen. It looks great although I use vsync and it keeps at 60fps with settings on high. What's AIB card lol
AIB=Add-in board partners...essentially non-reference. Built by a third-party using sometimes...different fans, PC board, components, etc....

AMD cards in general are going to perform worse on either triple monitors or VR unfortunately.
Dan Suzuki did a comparison and found that the gap was 5% better for 3080 on a single screen, but on triples at 1440p, he got around 15% to 20% better FPS with the 3080 than 6800XT.

Unfortunately it seems like 3070/3080/3090 is just better for sim racing than the AMD counterparts.

@jimortality.... Do you notice the 'choppiness' Dan spoke about at extreme resolution in ACC?
Hopefully, AMD can get some feature set to boost that triple screen 'deficit'.
It'll be interesting to see what Intel does for DG2 in that arena.

With my 5800x I got 781/1026 in R15 with 3 and 4 threads. Which translates to a sustained 4.8ghz to all threads.

But this was after applying VRM loadline calibration to level 3 (ASUS ROG B550 Itx) and applying PBO negative offset -15 on the two fastest cores and -30 on the rest which has been very stable running it daily.

It was a fair bit lower with stock and normal PBO settings. Think this chip is also very sensitive to temperature. If you have monster cooling it will use the headroom.

@jimortality.... Do you notice the 'choppiness' Dan spoke about at extreme resolution in ACC?
Hopefully, AMD can get some feature set to boost that triple screen 'deficit'.
It'll be interesting to see what Intel does for DG2 in that arena.
I run with vsync on so I don't notice any choppiness. I'm more than happy with the performance I get and don't get too hung up on fps. My games run and look great and as this is my first venture into Ryzen and AMD territory, I'm not disappointed.

I just ran the cinebench test on 3 and 4 threads and got a best of 904 on the 4 thread test. I have a Ryzen 7 5800x on an X470 pro mb with the latest bios that enables the 5800x, so maybe that is the reason for being somewhat lower than the other scores reported here.
Also, can anyone shed light on what the Rebar setting in the bios actually does. I have a GTX 1660Ti, so maybe it doesn't actually apply to my setup.

I just ran the cinebench test on 3 and 4 threads and got a best of 904 on the 4 thread test. I have a Ryzen 7 5800x on an X470 pro mb with the latest bios that enables the 5800x, so maybe that is the reason for being somewhat lower than the other scores reported here.
Also, can anyone shed light on what the Rebar setting in the bios actually does. I have a GTX 1660Ti, so maybe it doesn't actually apply to my setup.
904 isn't that bad. Still within "okayish range" for a 5800x.
What cooler do you have? The issue with the Ryzen 5000's isn't that they produce that much heat, but they are difficult to cool.
They simply don't cool as efficiently as the Intel's do, although having a lower power consumption.

So you should read out temperatures while doing the 4 thread bench and see if you reach more than 85°c.

I don't know how the boost curves are exactly for the 5800x but it should start to stop boost to its maximum between 80-90°c.

Rebar is "Resizable BAR", which you can read up here:

It's not available for your 1660TI (yet), so you don't need to care :)

Ok, thanks. I had a low of 680 on the 3 thread test and thought it was kinda low.
My cooler, bought for this cpu, is an absolute monster of a thing. It's a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4, and it covers my 1st ram bay and fills all of the height available to it in my case. Temps are fine, as cool as the older setup - R5 2600x and Wraith cooler - so no issues on that front. All I want is a steady 120fps on my monitor ( 144hz @ 120hz) and a decent experience in VR. I am waiting for the day that a new GPU is available to buy without having to pay a King's ransom to get one. 1st World Problems!

Ok, thanks. I had a low of 680 on the 3 thread test and thought it was kinda low.
My cooler, bought for this cpu, is an absolute monster of a thing. It's a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4, and it covers my 1st ram bay and fills all of the height available to it in my case. Temps are fine, as cool as the older setup - R5 2600x and Wraith cooler - so no issues on that front. All I want is a steady 120fps on my monitor ( 144hz @ 120hz) and a decent experience in VR. I am waiting for the day that a new GPU is available to buy without having to pay a King's ransom to get one. 1st World Problems!
Dark Rock 4 isn't "the maximum possible" for air cooling, but it's a great cooler and should be plenty enough for the 5800x, as long as the case isn't really bad or anything.

In your case the x470 is probably not using the boost clocks to full extend. A mild PBO OC could help :)

I run with vsync on so I don't notice any choppiness. I'm more than happy with the performance I get and don't get too hung up on fps. My games run and look great and as this is my first venture into Ryzen and AMD territory, I'm not disappointed.
That is what I like hearing.
That 6800XT is the card at the very top of my list for this generation....has been since day one.
DLSS and ray tracing are not a consideration for me in simracing and I usually like the build quality of AMD's reference cards.
I think the experience with it under WMR will be good enough for my liking.
Haven't considered any of the 'lesser' cards...not the 6700XT or the RTX3060Ti.
I could care less about 'peak' framerate...all out ontrack smoothness is what I look at.
I've been fortunate not to have many instances of stutter in sims.
During the few, it was right at the start of the title's development.
Heck!...even ACC runs glass smooth for me on an old GTX770 stand-in card.
I hear guys complaining about that title all the time.
I sometimes wonder if they've got some background program popping up, which is ruining their experience.

Last edited:
Thats what I like hearing.
That 6800XT is the card at the very top of my list for this generation.
DLSS and ray tracing are not a consideration for me in simracing and I especially like the build quality of AMD hardware.
I think the experience with it under WMR will be good enough for my liking.
I haven't even considered any of the 'lesser' cards...not the 6700XT the RTX3060 0r the RTX3060Ti.
I could care less about 'peak' framerate.
All I ever care about in simracing titles is smoothness.
I've been fortunate to not have very many experiences of it...and during the very few, it was right at the start of the game's development.
Heck!...even ACC runs glass smooth for me on an old GTX770 stand-in card.
I hear guys complaining about that title all the time and I scratch my head and wonder if they've got som program that's absolutely ruining their experience.
I don't think you'll be disappointed @Terry Rock I spent quite a while researching and watching youtube and then decided what I wanted. I could have stayed on the Intel route but all the tech vids I watched were swaying me towards AMD and Ryzen. Also, I don't know when I'll have this kind of money to spend on a pc again so that was also in my thinking and with the card at 16gb memory I would like to think it's future proof for a few years. I was going to wait till the summer but I saw this PC at under 2K and I went for it.

So the time has come
if someone remember my post from jan 07 2021
i had the choice betwen the logitech g 920 and the thrustmaster tmx
steering wheel
logitech g 920 for 256 euros
thrustmaster tmx for 150 euros

after long informations and videos on youtube
i chose the thrustmaster tmx for 150 euros
the reason is it would be my first experience with an steering wheel
becouse i played with the controller
the tmx is already ordered

and do not become cheaper for my entry in sim racing with an steering wheel at all
i know that the g920 had an stronger force feedback but it would cost me 100 euros more
the price was the reason
and the video about the thrustmaster tmx from simpit on youtube

so it be the introduction for me in sim racing
when i decide to stay in this hobby of sim racing
i spend my money in an better sim racing equipment

and the cool thing in is that the tmx is new from store from an weekend deal action
by saturn germany

so i can study the sim racing with the thrustmaster tmx without spending a lot of money
and exercise my abilitys
discover the enhancements for better laptimes
i will be reporting again after the delivery and my first drive in assetto corsa
see you soon

Today I swapped my 2600 for a 5600X and increased fps from my 3080 between 70-120% depending on game/resolution (2560x1440/1920x1080)
Getting 240+ fps at nordschleife, in the rain, at the back of a 26 car grid, in AMS2 at 2560x1440 feels pretty good I must say with stock GPU/CPU.
MSI B450 Tomahawk with latest beta bios and drivers.

Today I swapped my 2600 for a 5600X and increased fps from my 3080 between 70-120% depending on game/resolution (2560x1440/1920x1080)
Getting 240+ fps at nordschleife, in the rain, at the back of a 26 car grid, in AMS2 at 2560x1440 feels pretty good I must say with stock GPU/CPU.
MSI B450 Tomahawk with latest beta bios and drivers.
It is quite the CPU isn't it.
I love the performance.
What cooling solution are you using?
AMD could have left that cheap, small, 'Intel-like' factory cooler out of the box and lowered the price by about $25.
It is not anywhere near as good as the coolers from any previous generation of AMD offerings.
I think they used it as price justification.

It is quite the CPU isn't it.
I love the performance.
What cooling solution are you using?
AMD could have left that cheap, small, 'Intel-like' factory cooler out of the box and lowered the price by about $25.
It is not anywhere near as good as the coolers from any previous generation of AMD offerings.
I think they used it as price justification.
I've got liquid cooling on my 5800x, never had liquid before

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back