AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

It is quite the CPU isn't it.
I love the performance.
What cooling solution are you using?
AMD could have left that cheap, small, 'Intel-like' factory cooler out of the box and lowered the price by about $25.
It is not anywhere near as good as the coolers from any previous generation of AMD offerings.
I think they used it as price justification.
It was almost unreal to see the numbers with the 5600X in place next to the 3080.
I'm using a Noctua NH-D14 which I bought with oc'ing in mind but it almost feels like overkill to oc this beast, for now anyway. But have to do it anyway, haha.

Edit: Although, not sure if the traditional oc'ing is of much benefit with the 5600X?

Last edited:
I've also just got a 5600x and 3080 it'a great combo and we should be set for a few years at least...

I found the AMD stock cooler fairly noisy so I bought an Artic Freezer 34 Duo air cooler for about £30. Can recommend it as a reasonably cheap but substantial upgrade. Much quieter and cooler.

Last edited:
It was almost unreal to see the numbers with the 5600X in place next to the 3080.
I'm using a Noctua NH-D14 which I bought with oc'ing in mind but it almost feels like overkill to oc this beast, for now anyway. But have to do it anyway, haha.

Edit: Although, not sure if the traditional oc'ing is of much benefit with the 5600X?
For simracing and how amd handles few-thread applications like our simracing titles, overclocking all cores will probably give you power fps.
AMD tends to keep application on specific cores. With Intel, you mostly see all cores evenly used and the threads jumping around faster than the Taskmanager refresh cycle.

So with Intel, oc all cores to the same clock gives the highest and most consistent fps.

With amd, mostly the pbo is best for simracing.
It just enables the automatic boosting to boost a bit higher and the rest stays as it is, which is very optimized from what I know.

Never oc'ed a Ryzen myself but watched and read wuitw a few things :)

Anyone else get a random AMD SCSI driver from updates

Both my towers failed to boot but I never used desperate measures others did

After 3/4 boots both came good

still dont know why all these AMD updates lately
1. AMD SCSI driver ?
2. AMD system driver
3. AMD security devices driver

2. and 3. are ancient old drivers from 2020 like ?

Last edited:
So my tmx thrustmaster steering wheel have arrived i i had it already tested......
my opinion:
it makes a better impression than some opinions in the net
at a starter wheel it is very cool
the pedals are not so bad than they appear sometimes they slip away so they have to be fasten
it is plastic but very massiv and for my payment of 150 euros really acceptable
i m very happy with this wheel
i tested assetto corsa and project cars and it makes more fun than an xbox controller and the review videos make more fun to watch
i have to practice....... its an another world than an xbox controller
as an starter wheel thumb up
really im so lucky
and thanks for the racedepartmen community for sharing my impressions with you
the most gamer friends i have they play shooter games and they not really interested in racing games
i love cars and simracing games and with the new wheel more fun than i ever had
especcially assetto corsa
so have all a nice time and a lot of fun on the track

So I've been an AMD user only for 2 months and when I update the latest adrenalin software and drivers, my Euro truck becomes a stutter fest with like half sync is enabled which it isn't. All my race sims seem to be fine so I roll back to last November drivers and all is ok again. Upon some research, it seems amd are prone to messing up drivers. Can anyone confirm this and also, how long can I keep using the older drivers and software? Cheers

So I've been an AMD user only for 2 months and when I update the latest adrenalin software and drivers, my Euro truck becomes a stutter fest with like half sync is enabled which it isn't. All my race sims seem to be fine so I roll back to last November drivers and all is ok again. Upon some research, it seems amd are prone to messing up drivers. Can anyone confirm this and also, how long can I keep using the older drivers and software? Cheers
Some friends have amd mobos or Vega gpus. Only issue is one Vega 56 crashing Battlefield 5 but that's all.

You can keep using old drivers until there's an application that runs like crap with that driver.
I used a 2016 Nvidia driver until 2019 with my gtx 1070 and then until October 2020 the same driver again.
Never change a running system!

Security updates are a different thing, sure. But most driver updates are just optimizations for new games, very rarely a true feature update.
If your fresh new game runs fine though, why update? Risk having issues for 3 fps? Nah...

AMD has two types of GPU drivers. The Recommended "WHQL" drivers, and then there's the optional drivers. I find the WHQL certified drivers are usually pretty good, but the optional releases can be hit and miss. The last time I installed the optional drivers it made a mess of VR. I rolled back to the WHQL version and the problem disappeared.

The optional drivers are good bet if they fix a bug that you can't live with. Otherwise, stick with the WHQL. I'm currently on 21.4.1 and it's been pretty good for what I play.

that can happen if you update your drivers using the built-in updater. I had that happen last week. You need to use DDU to uninstall your old drivers in safe-mode first. Smooth as butter after that.

I buy a 5800x and the same day AMD launches the new socket... Oh well, I'm sure it'll be plenty enough CPU for a long old while yet.

The post above was about a new chipset driver.

But the socket you have now, AM4, will only have one more cpu refresh, Zen3+.
2022 will have the new AM5 socket.

5600X - X570
Fresh OS, 100% manual update 100% clean :D

5600X - X570.jpg

Last edited:
I've had my ASRock B360 Pro4, i3-8100 and AMD RX 480 4GB for a long time. A reliable pair which served me well, but since starting at sim racing on April this year, Assetto Corsa really made my CPU work 100% all the time on a 3.8Ghz clock speed, making my FPS drop hard on races with lots of players, which is often the case.

I'm on a budget, so a friend of mine suggested I upgrade to a B550 w/ Ryzen 5 2600X, I felt they could do a lot better under heavy load since CPU is a lot less stressed, but i also have the i7-9700 to consider upgrading without changing the MB, since its 5.0Ghz clock speed is nice and the original post said it's the best.

How is AMD vs Intel doing Budget sim racing wise? Should I make the change to AMD, or stick with Intel? I want something that can run all current sim racing games at 75fps with Discord, SimHub, and Firefox running and not reach a bottleneck. Don't care much about the graphical quality.

Last edited:
I've had my ASRock B360 Pro4, i3-8100 and AMD RX 480 4GB for a long time. A reliable pair which served me well, but since starting at sim racing on April this year, Assetto Corsa really made my CPU work 100% all the time on a 3.8Ghz clock speed, making my FPS drop hard on races with lots of players, which is often the case.

I'm on a budget, so a friend of mine suggested I upgrade to a B550 w/ Ryzen 5 2600X, I felt they could do a lot better under heavy load since CPU is a lot less stressed, but i also have the i7-9700 to consider upgrading without changing the MB, since its 5.0Ghz clock speed is nice and the original post said it's the best.

How is AMD vs Intel doing Budget sim racing wise? Should I make the change to AMD, or stick with Intel? I want something that can run all current sim racing games at 75fps with Discord, SimHub, and Firefox running and not reach a bottleneck. Don't care much about the graphical quality.
Hi,
for CPU related FPS, there are 3 things that are important:

1. Enough cores for the specific game (Overall CPU load):
If you don't have enough cores, the performance will have massive hiccups whenever you're hitting FULL load since there won't be a "Free CPU core for Windows' stuff etc".
So that's the most important thing!

-> Currently you don't need more than 5 physical cores. 4 cores + HT/SMT are okay, but not ideal. So currently, since there are no 5 cores CPUs, buying a 6 cores CPU will give you the best performance vs price.

2. Single thread performance
(You can't see it but if you have enough cores, the single thread performance will directly give you more or less FPS!)

-> You want the highest single thread performance that is available but at some point price vs performance won't make sense anymore. For example 9700k vs 9900k -> 9900k can often be overclocked higher due to better chip quality. But it's like 100-200 MHz for 200-300€. Doesn't make sense!
In fact, a 9600k will be the best bang for the buck for that generation!

3. Ram Speed and Cache size:
These two simply boost your performance in general, but not by much so it's only a factor AFTER the first 2 points.

-> Statistics I've done myself and found on the internet suggest that you definitely want 3200 MHz memory and 2x 8GB for best dual channel performance without stressing the Mobo (4x4GB is worse!).
Below 3200 MHz, the FPS will suffer but beyond 3200 MHz, costs vs performance doesn't make much sense.
Latency doesn't seem to give many FPS for AC and ACC! I for example overclocked my 3200 CL16 to 3466 CL18, which gives a few extra FPS although the latency is worse.

Here's a link where you can compare the averaged single thread performance from multiple samples from different users. Your own overclock + memory can make a difference but it's a good, basic comparison method!

That link already contains the most important CPUs for your decision. Sadly you can only compare 5 CPUs. I'd to have the AMD 3600x in there too.

So here are Screenshots with all CPUs I'd say are the most interesting for you:
8100_2600x_9700_5600x_9600k.jpg

9600k_10700k_3600x_3700x.jpg

Now there is ONE important thing to know:
Non-overclocked CPUs will drop quite a lot when you use more than 1 single core.
Also AMD CPUs tend to drop further than the Intels, since it's not really advisable to manually lock the AMD CPUs at an all-core-turbo. Their performance is better when you let the turbo clocks "do their thing".

And also you need to take into consideration that most i5 k CPUs can run at 5.0 GHz. So while the 9600k only scores 2785 points in the CPU comparison, it will mostly hit 3000.

Most cheap motherboards can still handle an overclocked i5 or Ryzen 6 core CPU without issues. You only need the beefier motherboards for 8 cores and more or extreme overclocking.

Boards I would recommend right now as cheap & good:
z390 for 9600k: Gigabyte z390 gaming x (not available over there anymore but around 120€)
z490 for 10600k: Gigabyte z490 gaming x (140€)
B550 for AMD 3600x and 5600x: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Pus (98€ here in Germany)

The 5600x currently blows everything else in the same price range out of the water though.

My recommendations in that order for simracing:
AMD 5600x
Intel 10600k
Intel 9600k
AMD 3600
Intel 10400
AMD 3500x

The AMD 2xxx gen simply has a too low single thread performance. You would solve the overall CPU load issue but you won't really gain anything apart from that.
Upgrading to the 5600x though will give you 50% more single thread performance! (2200 to 3300 points!).

Sure, it's expensive. But if you can somehow spend that much money, it will last you for a long time!!
For simracing: You can always lower settings to get good FPS with old graphics cards. But if your CPU is the limit, you can barely do anything about it.

So investing into a great CPU will give you a lot of joy for a long time! (not 10 cores and that stuff, just 6 cores and a great single thread speed!)

Sadly the Intel 11th gen seems to be a mixed bag. Great fps in some games, worse fps in other games compared to the 10th gen...

A few examples now if you can be bothered:

So my 10600k, which is overclocked to all core 4.9 GHz will stay at 4.9 GHz even when 4 cores are used.
The 10600k without manual overclocking will look like this:
1 active core = 4.8 GHz
2 active cores = 4.8 GHz
3 active cores = 4.8 GHz
4 active cores = 4.7 GHz
5 active cores = 4.5 GHz
6 active cores = 4.5 GHz

However I can tell you, that when I did some gaming before overclocking my CPU, it would most of the times run at 4.5 GHz with some cores clocking up to 4.8 GHz for a split second every few moments.

Averaging this, I would say while playing AC, the CPU would run at 4.65 GHz.
So instead of 6x 4.9 GHz that I'm running right now, it would be 6x 4.65 GHz.

For your 75 fps goal it would mean:
4.65 GHz = 75 fps
4.9 GHz = (75 / 4.65) * 4.9 = 79 fps

Not THAT much, but still quite a few fps.
This becomes worse with the non-k CPUs as they will drop even further.

The i5 10400 will max boost to 4.3 GHz with a all-core-turbo of only 4.0 GHz.
Giving it an average of 4.15 GHz (similar to the 4.65 GHz) when playing AC, this would mean:

10600k @ 4.9 GHz = 75 fps
10400 @ 4.15 GHz = (75/4.9)*4.15 = 63,5 fps

I'm seriously considering getting 5600x/B550 to replace my 7700k/z170 PC for 5760x1080 while I wait for GPU prices to come to normal again. Is it worth the $580aud pairing the 5600x with my 1080ti?

I'm seriously considering getting 5600x/B550 to replace my 7700k/z170 PC for 5760x1080 while I wait for GPU prices to come to normal again. Is it worth the $580aud pairing the 5600x with my 1080ti?
The performance boost in gaming isn't going to be massive against an overclocked 7700k. If you simply have the mod bug and are dying to upgrade something, you can't really go wrong with the 5600x.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back